Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

TheRat posted:

Nobody's forced to buy maps. Sometimes I feel like there should be a mandated SSF course before people start playing trade leagues, just so they're forced to learn tricks and shortcuts. (I don't actually mean that, but it's kind of frustrating to hear so many people complain about trade-issues they can easily solve by themselves)

ssf tricks like playing a tier of maps until you are 10+ over levelled and sick of running the same poo poo all the time NO THANKS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Real players pay for the privilege of getting sick of running the same poo poo all the time at a tier they're only 5+ over levelled for.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

As a 10,000 hour player, trading is Perfect because,

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck
i hereby curse anybody who wants an auction house to only get armourers scraps and blacksmith's whetsones in the emperor's luck div card set forever and ever

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

What if I want the auction house just to buy whetstones and emperor's luck cards

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

AggressivelyStupid posted:

What if I want the auction house just to buy whetstones and emperor's luck cards

dang

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck
i mean, poe.trade's better than trawling through this for what you want

Craig K fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Jan 17, 2018

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck
dp

Craig K fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Jan 17, 2018

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Craig K posted:

i mean, poe.trade's better than trawling through this for what you want

I HAVE EVERY UNIQUE PRICED 1-150EX WHISPER ME FOR FAST TRADE

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

Jusupov posted:

I HAVE EVERY UNIQUE PRICED 1-150EX WHISPER ME FOR FAST TRADE

buying exalts for 80% of what you could get on poe.trade

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

There's big business in selling leveling unique for 1c on the trade channel.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Elentor posted:

My first Elder appeared in Vault. :negative:

Isn't that a good thing? just keep running vault over and over with permanent elder minions added to the map, or is that not how it works?

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Isn't that a good thing? just keep running vault over and over with permanent elder minions added to the map, or is that not how it works?

That was a good thing, the bad thing is that I didn't know about it at the time and now he's no longer there.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

there's always a horde of poo poo posters repeating the mantra: "get good"

they are ultra-nerds, their perspective warped by hundreds of hours of gaming. their self awareness ground away by years of talking with other ultra-nerds. they are lost to us

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
You don't have to get elder to spawn on a specific map to have permanent or near permanent elder adds in there.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
What you guys aren't listening to is that it's not just ultra-nerds telling you this. We all agree that trading in PoE is less efficient than it would be with an auction house, but whenever someone explains that efficiency comes with costs you plug your ears and say we have Stockholm Syndrome.

I'm not gatekeeping when I tell you to try a different game; I'm making an honest recommendation because you seem to have 100% bounced off of this one on a fundamental design level and the only reason you seem to have stuck around is to smugly yell at us "grognards" that we're not only stupid and mean but we have no life too.

Go find a game you enjoy.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

nobody is bouncing off the game, I've been playing the game and trading on poe.trade the whole time. I just don't pretend it's good

I play fuckin PUBG for Christ's sake

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

AggressivelyStupid posted:

there should be a vendor that sells void cards for 4c forever

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

George posted:

What you guys aren't listening to is that it's not just ultra-nerds telling you this.

What an insufferable attitude. Just because someone disagrees doesn't mean they're not listening to you.

Also, if you really think the difference between poe (a game built around trading, with no ah) and d3 (a game with no way to trade at all) is one has an auction house and the other doesn't, then you're a loving idiot.

Here's a hint: D3 was a shallow, uninteresting game when it had a real money auction house (something literally nobody in this thread wants for poe), and it's still a shallow, uninteresting game now they've removed it.

rath
Apr 25, 2005
I should be learning code instead of posting on the boards.
Unrelated to PoE Trading discussion #1832041324, but bodyswap is HC viable (kinda) (not really) (but kinda).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYu6tV2ojX8

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

..btt posted:

Here's a hint: D3 was a shallow, uninteresting game when it had a real money auction house (something literally nobody in this thread wants for poe), and it's still a shallow, uninteresting game now they've removed it.

And when it had the AH, the economy was utter garbage. If you didn't get the 1% uber drop, your item was worthless, but that 1% was even more expensive than an equivalent chase drop here, making the gap simply impossible to cross.

Nobody has to like trading. Everybody has to get used to the fact that it's never going away, and we're never getting an auction house.

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

I agree with Dante, that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.

Magus42 posted:

And when it had the AH, the economy was utter garbage. If you didn't get the 1% uber drop, your item was worthless, but that 1% was even more expensive than an equivalent chase drop here, making the gap simply impossible to cross.

Nobody has to like trading. Everybody has to get used to the fact that it's never going away, and we're never getting an auction house.

Sooo, pretty much identical to the Standard economy then? :thunk:

Legin Noslen
Sep 9, 2004
Fortified with Rhiboflavin

Magus42 posted:

Remember back when everyone said the minimap was always going to look like poo poo? :allears:

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

good poo poo except never chaos your maps unless an alch and a scour costs more then a chaos which never happens on softcore at least.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

hawowanlawow posted:

there's always a horde of poo poo posters repeating the mantra: "get good"

they are ultra-nerds, their perspective warped by hundreds of hours of gaming. their self awareness ground away by years of talking with other ultra-nerds. they are lost to us

who's the bigger poo poo poster? The one that brings up an issue that will never change or the one defending it? :thunk:

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Legin Noslen posted:

Remember back when everyone said the minimap was always going to look like poo poo? :allears:

Because something they never took the time to update is totally the same as something they are steadfastly against, right? :rolleyes:

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Holyshoot posted:

who's the bigger poo poo poster? The one that brings up an issue that will never change or the one defending it? :thunk:

Tie both posters to the tracks and let Argus crush them like a trolley.

Are there any good Ballista builds anymore? Seems like they vanished around 2.4 and that AW totems outperform them.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Magus42 posted:

Because something they never took the time to update is totally the same as something they are steadfastly against, right? :rolleyes:

Tbf there are other features that they were hesitant to implement due to going against their initial design goals. I'm reminded of the old permanent allocation debate. To their credit I think GGG are pretty good at striking a balance between what they think is the best design and what everyone will tolerate.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
Tarke figured out that you can use a mirage archer link even if you get the extra totem passive, so maybe.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

instant trading for some types of items but not others would be pretty nice. it would probably be safe to enable instant trade for all of the stuff that has its own tab - currency, essences, maps, & fragments - other than divination cards since some of those are pretty expensive.

d3 was bad for a lot of reasons that had nothing to do with the auction house, so while it would be good to be careful with implementing a similar feature in poe, it's not as though the mere existence of instant trading would instantly ruin the game or whatever

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Instant trading but you can only trade away non currency items 5 times per 24 hours :unsmigghh:

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Instant currency exchange would probably gently caress up the economy but man do I hate having to waste time messaging all the listings on the currency market just to find one person to buy my jewelers.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
D3 had a botting problem when they had an AH and that game cost you at least 30 bucks per banned bot. PoE is free. Everyone claiming the comparison between D3 and PoE is invalid because of difficulty/whatever stupid rear end reason is conveniently forgetting about sniping bots. The current trading system isn't just a way to make grinding a more attractive option when compared to trading, it's a captcha as well.

Here's a hot take: if you aren't getting the item you want as quickly as you'd like, you're more than likely underpaying and trying to get a good deal. So, get good.

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

I agree with Dante, that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.

please knock Mom! posted:

D3 had a botting problem when they had an AH and that game cost you at least 30 bucks per banned bot. PoE is free. Everyone claiming the comparison between D3 and PoE is invalid because of difficulty/whatever stupid rear end reason is conveniently forgetting about sniping bots. The current trading system isn't just a way to make grinding a more attractive option when compared to trading, it's a captcha as well.

Here's a hot take: if you aren't getting the item you want as quickly as you'd like, you're more than likely underpaying and trying to get a good deal. So, get good.

I found a free PoE trade bot in about 30 seconds of googling. Tell me more about how the terrible trade system stops botting.

MrTargetPractice
Mar 17, 2004

I remember back in the day they said it was literally impossible to fix the horrible desync and it would be parts of the game forever.

Trading in POE is total AIDS. Every time I get to a point where I need to cap out resists for mapping I considering quitting. It takes like an hour to find the 3-6 items I need. It used to take way longer before poe.trade exsisted but still. Having to sort through items to find the mods you want only to have that person not reply or want an extra 2 or 3c on top of what they are asking happens to me like rwice per slot. These aren't 1c items people don't leave maps for either. I was looking for a ring last night for ~1ex and 3 people didn't reply.

I am not some game design master but I came up with a pretty good thematic solution in about 10 minutes while taking a poo poo at work. Just add another master that sells poo poo for you in your hide out. The more you level them they more inventory(like the size of current npc vendors) tabs they get. The only real change they'd have to make is to let people into hideouts without being partied. I am pretty sure you have to be partied to use someone's portals so that's not an issue.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

please knock Mom! posted:

I like the trading system the way it is now but by mid-season it's hard to get anyone to respond even for things that are mildly overpriced on the low end. People just leave things in their premium tabs and can't really be bothered to leave their map to make 1c for a piece of cheap gear at this point. I think there are plenty of valid complaints that aren't just a case of "git gud"s and a lot of people don't have hundreds of hours to invest in a game like PoE like some of us.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

MrTargetPractice posted:

I remember back in the day they said it was literally impossible to fix the horrible desync and it would be parts of the game forever.

Trading in POE is total AIDS. Every time I get to a point where I need to cap out resists for mapping I considering quitting. It takes like an hour to find the 3-6 items I need. It used to take way longer before poe.trade exsisted but still. Having to sort through items to find the mods you want only to have that person not reply or want an extra 2 or 3c on top of what they are asking happens to me like rwice per slot. These aren't 1c items people don't leave maps for either. I was looking for a ring last night for ~1ex and 3 people didn't reply.

I am not some game design master but I came up with a pretty good thematic solution in about 10 minutes while taking a poo poo at work. Just add another master that sells poo poo for you in your hide out. The more you level them they more inventory(like the size of current npc vendors) tabs they get. The only real change they'd have to make is to let people into hideouts without being partied. I am pretty sure you have to be partied to use someone's portals so that's not an issue.

its been suggested and denied many times

ps if it takes you an hour that's pretty wild

did you know some people get to maps and don't have to buy any gear? They use what they pick up and don't have to farm a particular zone. Use your gd currency. When i get to maps at league start I usually only have to buy 2-3 pieces at most to fill out my 40+ life on every piece + resists

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Eminai posted:

I found a free PoE trade bot in about 30 seconds of googling. Tell me more about how the terrible trade system stops botting.

Okay, go ahead and try to use it. A D3 AH bot could snipe entire pages of items within a second. There's no way a bot can get that amount of volume in PoE, allowing humans to actually compete.

And yeah, 2 months into a season trading is gonna be bad. There's not enough people online. Put up with a lower gear level or clamor for offline trading (lol), because an auction house won't magically bring back the population to new league levels.

Orange DeviI fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jan 17, 2018

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

What do you guys look for goalwise for a league starter? I've played poe periodically since 2012 but this league is the first that I've played for more than 2-3 weeks. I feel like I was hampered early on by playing two builds that didn't do too great in the late 80s and beyond. Now I'm on a ngamahu's slayer and I'm enjoying it a lot. How much currency do you guys throw into a league starter before saying no more, I'm saving for my next character.

My second character was an evasion character and what a poo poo show that felt like when you didn't get evades and you just instantly pop because you don't have enough effective hp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Zotix posted:

What do you guys look for goalwise for a league starter? I've played poe periodically since 2012 but this league is the first that I've played for more than 2-3 weeks. I feel like I was hampered early on by playing two builds that didn't do too great in the late 80s and beyond. Now I'm on a ngamahu's slayer and I'm enjoying it a lot. How much currency do you guys throw into a league starter before saying no more, I'm saving for my next character.

My second character was an evasion character and what a poo poo show that felt like when you didn't get evades and you just instantly pop because you don't have enough effective hp.

goalwise like 'when do i switch'?

I pull out my graphing calculator and map out my theoretical gains with a new character, taking into account current wealth and factoring in time spent leveling (which negatively affects currency gains)

but realistically its when my starter stops being fun. The trick is to pick a starter that doesn't require too much gear but can scale very high. see: tornado shot, ED, spectres