Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
For my first couple of games I thought you could only get a target lock if the ship was in your firing arc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
When I first started I though evades and focus tokens stayed with you the whole round. That and that if you were stressed, your next maneuver HAD to be a green maneuver.

I still mess some things from time to time but joining a league with helpful players really sped things up to help me get to know the games mechanics.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Raged posted:

For my first couple of games I thought you could only get a target lock if the ship was in your firing arc.

This one is also really common.

Never seen the one about a target lock adding a red die, but I have seen people make the same mistake as with a focus: spend lock for one singular re-roll

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

ConfusedUs posted:

Once per opportunity rule would make that one of each (see extra munitions ruling with minefield mapper).

I mean, that is clearly against the intention, but if Launch truly does not equal Drop, then logically launching both is also OK with the current rule as written

What, FFG hosed up their wording for rules/rules interactions? I just cannot believe that.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
FFG quite literally has a one bomb per turn clause which invalidated their K-wing article.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
I was guilty of the one action per turn thing with Jake at my first tournament.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I had planned on a 2xAplpha + QD list for Adepticon, but since it's going to be pretty common and I'm not getting out of the first round in any case, I think I may just go back to my fun Whisper/OL/Inquisitor list. I tried working out some kind of Whisper/Kylo Silencer thing but couldn't come up with anything good. I'll get crushed, but at least it will be flying something I like.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Funzo posted:

I had planned on a 2xAplpha + QD list for Adepticon, but since it's going to be pretty common and I'm not getting out of the first round in any case, I think I may just go back to my fun Whisper/OL/Inquisitor list. I tried working out some kind of Whisper/Kylo Silencer thing but couldn't come up with anything good. I'll get crushed, but at least it will be flying something I like.

Whisper + Kylo + Ridiculous Bid. No, I'm serious.

Your goal: Kill more points than Whisper is worth. Run away forever, secure in the knowledge that, if this were a video game, you'd be getting hatemail after every game.

I did it with QuickDraw + Kylo, and it's far more effective than it sounds.

Tequila Ranger
Sep 11, 2004

host after host after host ...
Newbie mistakes I made:

Gunner on HLC Dash.

Mangler Cannon using Kath Scarlett's Rear Arc. RIP Butt Cannon :(

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Tequila Ranger posted:

Newbie mistakes I made:

Gunner on HLC Dash.

Mangler Cannon using Kath Scarlett's Rear Arc. RIP Butt Cannon :(

lol you used imperial kath

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

ConfusedUs posted:

Once per opportunity rule would make that one of each (see extra munitions ruling with minefield mapper).

I mean, that is clearly against the intention, but if Launch truly does not equal Drop, then logically launching both is also OK with the current rule as written

First opportunity would on reveal, launch one of each, move one forward, and use genius opportunity to launch one of each again. RAW it seems to work...

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

hoiyes posted:

First opportunity would on reveal, launch one of each, move one forward, and use genius opportunity to launch one of each again. RAW it seems to work...

Yeah that seems to work. Imagine if you could fit another set of bombs or somehow get 2x extra munitions tokens on the card.

Drop 1 before move
Launch 2 before move
Launch 2 after move

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
You couldn't drop one first because that would close the window for genius.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Just FYI, straight from the FAQ:

Q:
If I have a ship equipped with multiple bombs, can I drop more than one in the same round?
A:
No. Each ship is limited to a single bomb drop each round.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
And how many bomb launches?

Edit: I get the intention, it's very clear that you can drop or launch one bomb, and I further doubt that anyone would try to do more than that in a game. We're just theorycrafting around the possibilities that sloppy writing (ffg emote) left open. And, I am hoping that it's bad enough that a FAQ will be put out sooner than intended to fix it.

hoiyes fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jan 17, 2018

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
They just need to say drop and launch are the same for that which is obviously how it's meant, but lol on releasing an FAQ update or anything.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

ConfusedUs posted:

Your goal: Kill more points than Whisper is worth. Run away forever, secure in the knowledge that, if this were a video game, you'd be getting hatemail after every game.

I would do this if I was playing in a country I was visiting. I like the people I play with in Australia. Also, I'm pretty sure I would have my legs broken if I did it here and honestly I could not blame them for doing it.

EDIT: New Rules Update is out......... for Epic. lol who cares

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

ConfusedUs posted:

lol at using Whisper in a meta where proton bomb VI Nym exists. Whipser is one lucky proton bomb from death.

There are metas in which two point fortresses and a ridiculous bid can work but this isn't that meta.

At least not with those fortresses, Miranda Nym is bidding down to 96 or even 95 sometimes...

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Taking the silly list to league this week.

TIE Bomber: •Captain Jonus (30)
TIE Shuttle (0)
Wired (1)
Fleet Officer (3)
Hotshot Co-pilot (4)

Lambda-Class Shuttle: Omicron Group Pilot (35)
Fire-Control System (2)
Heavy Laser Cannon (7)
Gunner (5)

Lambda-Class Shuttle: Omicron Group Pilot (35)
Fire-Control System (2)
Heavy Laser Cannon (7)
Gunner (5)

Total: 100/100

Joust or Die.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Raged posted:

I would do this if I was playing in a country I was visiting. I like the people I play with in Australia. Also, I'm pretty sure I would have my legs broken if I did it here and honestly I could not blame them for doing it.

EDIT: New Rules Update is out......... for Epic. lol who cares

Link to the rules? I care

Tequila Ranger
Sep 11, 2004

host after host after host ...

bunnyofdoom posted:

Link to the rules? I care

https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgam...ext_version.pdf

Some Tidbits:
1v1: You MUST Take 2-5 Epic Points worth of huge ships.
2v2: Your team MUST take 3-6 Epic Points worth of huge ships.
1v1 or 2v2: Maximim of 4 duplicate EPT or Secondary Weapons (per team)

Tequila Ranger fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jan 18, 2018

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
An local group is doing a Top Gun tournament. Each person selects a different unique pilot to enter. It's an elimination style format, you find out the pilot you're up against and then you both build a squad of 60 points including your chosen pilot and whatever generics fit. I went with Omega leader, he's strong at lower ship counts, can actually kill timewalk assaj/fat Han, and there's enough leftover points to build out a flexible wingman or two. Ion D vs Norra, Harpoon boat, 2 strikers, etc.

Who's the dirtiest ship you can think of for the format?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Tequila Ranger posted:

https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgam...ext_version.pdf

Some Tidbits:
1v1: You MUST Take 2-5 Epic Points worth of huge ships.
2v2: Your team MUST take 3-6 Epic Points worth of huge ships.
1v1 or 2v2: Maximim of 4 duplicate EPT or Secondary Weapons (per team)

Whoa. That ept and secondary weapons thing is interesting

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

bunnyofdoom posted:

Whoa. That ept and secondary weapons thing is interesting

Did someone bring 300 points of Crack Shot Black Squad and Harpoon Missiles to a tourney recently?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

hoiyes posted:

An local group is doing a Top Gun tournament. Each person selects a different unique pilot to enter. It's an elimination style format, you find out the pilot you're up against and then you both build a squad of 60 points including your chosen pilot and whatever generics fit. I went with Omega leader, he's strong at lower ship counts, can actually kill timewalk assaj/fat Han, and there's enough leftover points to build out a flexible wingman or two. Ion D vs Norra, Harpoon boat, 2 strikers, etc.

Who's the dirtiest ship you can think of for the format?

I don't know that I'd put my money on OL and some generics against a fat Han or really any big heavy powerful ship at 60 points.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Improbable Lobster posted:

Did someone bring 300 points of Crack Shot Black Squad and Harpoon Missiles to a tourney recently?

It’s to prevent 12 TLT Y-Wings.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Zero basis for this in the rules as written

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Deathrain still gets their barrel roll after using Trajectory Sims right?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

The TLT/harpooned one makes no sense. The other...if you squint at it maybe? And I'm willing to give that one a pass because TjS/Genius Nym is awful.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

I don't even understand what they are trying to say in the TLT/Harpooned part... does that means that only the first TLT can trigger the harpoon effect? Was that even the question?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Improbable Lobster posted:

Deathrain still gets their barrel roll after using Trajectory Sims right?

Not if TjS is "replacing a normal bomb drop".

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Yeah, still TBD if this is official FFG gospel or if this is just the dumb ruling of the guy who runs their game center events

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

ConfusedUs posted:

Not if TjS is "replacing a normal bomb drop".

Yeah, I posted that before I read that facebook post so :shrug:

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

canyoneer posted:

Yeah, still TBD if this is official FFG gospel or if this is just the dumb ruling of the guy who runs their game center events

Looks like "the guy who runs their game center events" now

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

canyoneer posted:

Even if it's the latter and unofficial, I find it hard to believe he didn't at least chat with the designers to see how they were leaning.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

It's definitely unofficial. It fits their MO of making up rules in the FAQ though.

I can see why he wants to rule it that way. Genius and Trajectory Sim are just awful together. But RAW he has no leg to stand on.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
The tournament I am going to has said unless it's in a FAQ then it's just an opinion. Wish they would use it, but I understand since most people have submitted both lists already.

I really don't like the TLT ruling. Makes harpoons even more horrible. I love my harpoons, but they are OP for the point value.

Edit: Lol the TO is going with the ruling for the Day 2 side event since it's supposed to be fun. He like most sane people realllllllllllllllllly hates Genius/TS.

Raged fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jan 19, 2018

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Good thing they just came out with an Epic Rules Update in the middle of regional season instead of an actual standard FAQ on all this clumsy poo poo

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

banned from Starbucks posted:

Good thing they just came out with an Epic Rules Update in the middle of regional season instead of an actual standard FAQ on all this clumsy poo poo

If would be so simple to put out a quick FAQ. It would take about 5 min to edit it with those 2 rulings and upload it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Been a real lovely week so I went with a Fire and Forget list.

Y-Wing: •"Dutch" Vander (32)
Twin Laser Turret (6)
•R7-T1 (3)

YT-1300: •Chewbacca (55)
Tactical Jammers (1)
•Millennium Falcon (1)
Expertise (4)
•C-3PO (3)
•R2-D2 (4)

Z-95 Headhunter: Bandit Squadron Pilot (13)
Guidance Chips (0)
XX-23 S-Thread Tracers (1)

Total: 100/100

Just slow roll around, Target Locking and Evading. Boost bot included in case someone got into range 1 behind Dutch; he could use it to scoot to range 2 or enough behind Chewie to get obstructed.

Didn't really matter as I faced Miranda/Chewie and tabled the poor kid.

• Locked thread