Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hahah I don't think ANYONE predicted cardboard accessories.

As a father, I think it's really neat. The daughter's probably a little too young for them right now (certainly the assembly part) but man, looking at some of the interiors there, I might just get the variety pack for myself to put together. I love poo poo like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Primpin and Pimpin
Sep 2, 2011

I will definitely be picking up a set when my nephew comes to visit this summer. Nintendo is so :3: it hurts. The only question now is robot or variety??

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I've watched this a couple more times and I think this might be one of the coolest learning toys ever made.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
Oh, it's cute! I think it's adorable.

It also opens the door for indie devs to make their own cheap crazy rear end add ons.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I'm really impressed with how neat this is. It looks like you put reflective stickers on specific parts of cardboard, and those spots are moved by pressing the keys on the piano or whatever action you're taking. The joycon's ir camera "sees" the movement based on the moving IR reflections.

So loving cool.

Edit: beaten but still really drat cool.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

What if that robot game is actually robust with an in-depth campaign and Soulslike combat

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i'm guessing they're using the HD rumble to make those little stick figures move too

someone gif the stick guy moving so I can make a "weapon to surpass Metal Gear" shitpost

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

FPzero posted:

I think it must be using the IR camera on the bottom of the right Joycon to detect which key is being pressed down, then it transmits that to the console which then plays the correct piano tone(s).

holy poo poo :eyepop:

Lobstertainment
Jun 10, 2004

Vikar Jerome posted:

yeah it does own, but you gotta laugh, at it, yourself, people selling their switches.

if i had kids i'd probably get it and hog it.

For sure, its insane in the best way. Only Nintendo would do this crazy poo poo with a straight face.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Also the price is higher than I'd expect at $70 but it looks like you get 3-4 cardboard accessories and the game software in a bundle. It's still not an amazing price but at least it's not just $70 for a couple cardboard and game sold separately.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

quote:

There are even tiny cardboard knobs, separate from the slider, that you can slot into to completely alter what sounds come out. One turns the on-screen keys into a choir of cute meowing cats.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
I mean they pretty much shouted to the heavens that they were making a thing entirely for small children. An arts and crafts set for kids isn't exactly going to somehow ruin all of nintendo's momentum.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

"" posted:

There are even tiny cardboard knobs, separate from the slider, that you can slot into to completely alter what sounds come out. One turns the on-screen keys into a choir of cute meowing cats.

My daughter has a keyboard shaped like a cat and one of the instruments are "meows" and it owns.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

This could be cool if the price is right. Beyond a certain price point, though, people are gonna start wondering why they're not just pre-assembled plastic shells.

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

I have a 10 year old child and there's no loving way I'd waste £50+ on some cardboard jesus

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib
I really like that this mixes:

A. Something you build
B. Something with moving pieces
C. Something you play with

It's crazy because the Switch actually improves all 3 of those aspects by providing an interactive instruction set, a guide that shows you how it works internally (or at least that's what I got from the trailer, when it showed the IR beam in the piano), and a set of games that requires the Switch to fully realize your accessories. This is such a well thought out product in a world where DIY/Maker(C)/Raspberry Pi is popular.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

There's a moment where RobotBoy hunches down and the mech turns into a car.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Nintendo always brings up some cool weird thing this is neat

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
The pizza box in my bin will run 7yr old ports at 60fps

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

404notfound posted:

This could be cool if the price is right. Beyond a certain price point, though, people are gonna start wondering why they're not just pre-assembled plastic shells.

have you seen how much some of the more complicated Lego poo poo costs

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Not for me as I don’t have kids but this is actually really neat and something that would be fun for kids as Nintendo said would be revealed. :lol: at anyone who thought Nintendo stating this was targeted for kids was some super secret marketing move from something else

Lobstertainment
Jun 10, 2004

Bad Parenting posted:

I have a 10 year old child and there's no loving way I'd waste £50+ on some cardboard jesus

Worry not im 100% sure you'll be able to steal the blueprints for this and make it for free day 1

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

CRAYON posted:

It's kinda neat, not really holy poo poo incredible.

As someone who grew up with K-Nex, Lego Technic, and Erector sets, this really appeals to me. I can't be alone in that, and I think kids will absolutely love this. It's the last thing I expected from the Switch, and I love the possibilities.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

404notfound posted:

Good point, why don't they just sell preassembled, glued-together Legos?

(putting it together is half the fun, did you SEE the pulley system in the robot backpack?)

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Bad Parenting posted:

It’s also a video game. :ssh:

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I'm the inevitable argument that the robot suit is proof nintendo are doing VR

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Im imagining an elementry school science teacher watching this ad and sitting up a little straighter. Like this could be really incredible.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

That price point, yikes. That better be some sturdy goddamn cardboard.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
...and cardboard, simple cardboard, was how Nintendo won the 30 year console wars and peace reigned for eons.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
69$ gets you software +
Cardboard sheet x 28 (includes extra sheet for customization)
Reflective sticker sheet x 3
Sponge sheet x 3
String (orange) x 1
String (blue) x 1
Eyelet set (gray) x 1
Eyelet set (blue) x 1
Rubber band (large) x 2 + spares
Rubber band (small) x 6 + spares
https://labo.nintendo.com/kits/variety-kit/

79$ gets you software +
Cardboard sheet x 19
Cardstock sheets x 4
Reflective sticker sheet x 1
Orange string x 2
Blue string x 2
Gray canvas straps (large) x 1
Gray canvas straps (medium) x 1
Gray canvas straps (small) x 2
Eyelet set (gray) x 10
Eyelet set (orange) x 2
https://labo.nintendo.com/kits/robot-kit/

I mean I trust Nintendo if anyone to make it more than the sum of the parts but the list of parts seems ..something.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Finally, the Nintendo Katzenklavier

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Cool idea. I can see a whole lot of these being destroyed during or soon after construction, but it's cool.

I think I'd find putting it together more entertaining than actually playing the things. If they can get some non-tech demo software it'd be pretty incredible.

It'd be cool if they sold more of these in the future, but individually for £5-10.

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib

Piquai Souban posted:

69$ gets you software +
Cardboard sheet x 28 (includes extra sheet for customization)
Reflective sticker sheet x 3
Sponge sheet x 3
String (orange) x 1
String (blue) x 1
Eyelet set (gray) x 1
Eyelet set (blue) x 1
Rubber band (large) x 2 + spares
Rubber band (small) x 6 + spares

79$ gets you software +
Cardboard sheet x 19
Cardstock sheets x 4
Reflective sticker sheet x 1
Orange string x 2
Blue string x 2
Gray canvas straps (large) x 1
Gray canvas straps (medium) x 1
Gray canvas straps (small) x 2
Eyelet set (gray) x 10
Eyelet set (orange) x 2

I mean I trust Nintendo if anyone to make it more than the sum of the parts but the list of parts seems ..something.

Software + all of those items more than makes up for the price considering the cost of other similar DIY toys. The amount of R&D work that went into them is probably relatively extensive as well.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

https://twitter.com/ElderFMC/status/953751738191958016

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I'm curious if some of the sensor stuff like the piano might be finicky, but it's a real interesting kid's thing conceptually. Kinda impressive how much is apparently possible with all the right joycon tech that wasn't really pushed outside of 1-2 Switch.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

This is going to be bargain bin bound in a matter of months.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

VladimirLeninpest posted:

Software + all of those items more than makes up for the price considering the cost of other similar DIY toys. The amount of R&D work that went into them is probably relatively extensive as well.

it's basically around the price of like a complicated (like a building or something) Lego set so it's not like, totally insane, especially since if your kid likes building toys you've probably bought a shitload of them already

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

really is nintendos own take on vr.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I hope the robot game is really good and people get upset that they have to wear a cardboad backpack to play it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

did people seriously expect the "new way to play for little kids" thing to be a new smash bros or something

Guy Goodbody posted:

I hope the robot game is really good and people get upset that they have to wear a cardboad backpack to play it

this is the correct response

• Locked thread