Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

It's trying to sell itself through sex appeal, and that's ok. Doesn't mean it can't also be a good read, but it's a series that started as a series of sexy variant covers.

It's a good aesthetic. My friends wife is getting a Bombshell Wonder Woman tattoo this year.

EDIT: Just wanted to add that I have read it, and it's better than you'd expect. They're good super hero stories, without anything gross or uncomfortable.

Open Marriage Night fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jan 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/TomKingTK/status/952622097968369664

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I wonder who the editor was, because if it was that similar the editor should have noticed and at least informed Tom. Action 761 is a pretty well known issue.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

That'd be Jamie Rich who comes from Vertigo and Maggie Howell who's oldest issues on the DC wikia are from 2016.

Even if I was an experienced Bat group editor, it's not particularly their business to have 18 year old Superman issues in mind.

edit: Anyway, it's a good reminder to read Kelly's run. I loved his JLA, but only ever read that one famous "What's So Funny..." Action Comics issue.
ee: Ugh. Checking Comixology, every other issue in his run was a crossover with the other eighteen Super books :/

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jan 14, 2018

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007
Injustice is continuing its fine tradition of making me give a drat about c-tier heros booster and beetle.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

frodnonnag posted:

Injustice is continuing its fine tradition of making me give a drat about c-tier heros booster and beetle.

They are B-tier you philistine.

Edit: in all seriousness what happened? I wont read the comic.

Oh! How has the Supes and Booster arc in Action if anyone is reading it?

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Mr Hootington posted:

It feels 90's as gently caress since Jurgens is drawing it. I thought Booster had literally time traveled me back to my childhood.

Decent fun thus far.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

frodnonnag posted:

I picked up a random issue last year where Beetle (Ted) was murdered, and Booster appeared to him right before it happened to say goodbye. Did another story about them come out?

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Mr Hootington posted:

I like it. Seconding the thought of it having a very 90s feel.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I picked up a random issue last year where Beetle (Ted) was murdered, and Booster appeared to him right before it happened to say goodbye. Did another story about them come out?

Its ted's will.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

frodnonnag posted:

Its ted's will.

Oh poo poo! Which issue number?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Lmao Joker's current counted body count on the dcwiki is 534+. There have been a number of issues that haven't been counted yet.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
He can be rehabilitated

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

site posted:

He can be rehabilitated

I'll take the Joker over the Batman who Laughs.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

site posted:

He can be rehabilitated

I know this is a joke, but it is at the point where he needs to be extrajudically murdered.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

From over 2000 comic appearances, that ain't too bad.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
Well he was being extrajudicially imprisoned in the Batcave until Duke and Hal loving Jordan let him out

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Teenage Fansub posted:

From over 2000 comic appearances, that ain't too bad.

You missed the part that the number is from counted issues. Many have not been counted.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

If it was twice as many I dunno if it's anything to write home about. He's been a serious serial killer (rather than a cartoony Joker's Boners type) since the 70's.

You're not supposed to head canon everything unless you're Grant Morrison.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Teenage Fansub posted:

If it was twice as many I dunno if it's anything to write home about. He's been a serious serial killer (rather than a cartoony Joker's Boners type) since the 70's.

You're not supposed to head canon everything unless you're Grant Morrison.

Dont doxx me

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Comics are only ever as canon as the current creators want them to be, and that's just fine.

What's Batman's bodycount at this point?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Heck, Catwoman was charged with 200 something murders recently and only Batman thought that sounded off. Gotham's a bad ol' place.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Murders don't count if Batman is in love with the person who commits them

This applies to both Catwoman and joker

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
the 237 murders thing is Catwoman taking the fall for Holly Robinson, so you can't count them

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

ElNarez posted:

the 237 murders thing is Catwoman taking the fall for Holly Robinson, so you can't count them

Wow, she's been busy since 21 Jump Street it seems.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
It's hard not to just link Tom King's entire twitter feed in here.
https://twitter.com/BatmansBookcase/status/953427439304126464
https://twitter.com/TomKingTK/status/953448750260871168

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
So I finished the Fourth World omnibus and been pondering it. I liked it, and it was interesting reading '70's comics, I haven't read much from that decade. I didn't expect celebrity guest appearances. I think the Forever People was my favourite of the four series. Was there a followup at some point? Was it any good?

I also read Final Crisis. I was a little confused about the Superman Beyond issues (though they were cool), but I think I got it? There's basically two stories going on that are largely unconnected? Darkseid and all that, and Mandrakk? I was sorta confused about the ending, though. Reading Multiversity, Nix Uotan's the last Monitor, and I assumed that would come about during Final Crisis, but in the end they're all there? When did they die?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

There was a Forever People mini from Didio and Giffen a few years ago that was kinda weird and interesting like their OMAC before.
Batcow was featured in it :)

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
The money quote from the Dan Didio Victory Lap over at Multiversity Comics is right at the end

quote:

I’m not going to ask when Shazam is happening, because I know that’s a question that I can’t possibly get an answer to. I’m just curious as to where your mind goes, or not just you but where the DC mind goes with a character like that. How do you balance finding the right story versus letting somebody sit on the shelf, maybe for too long?

DD: In this particular case with Shazam, we have the right team, we’re just waiting for them to be available. That’s one of the cases there. With a lot of this stuff, it’s interesting with characters like Shazam, and you know what, there’s a couple of books that constantly come up, Shazam, Legion of Super-Heroes, and Justice Society of America.

A couple of those are actually tied to an event story that’s taking place right now, and hopefully we’ll be able to come out of that in a way that gives it a lift, and hopefully brings new attention and new eyes to those books so they can live a long, healthy life.

With Shazam, we’re really just waiting for one particular creative team to come free. They’ve expressed so much interest in it that we’re just holding it for them until that period of time.

Shazam is only a matter of time, JSA and Legion are absolutely spinning out from Doomsday Clock. Fun times ahead.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I went back and reread the last third of Final Crisis and realised that I'd completely missed the deaths of the Monitors. Whoops. I guess I expected something a bit more cataclysmic.

Teenage Fansub posted:

There was a Forever People mini from Didio and Giffen a few years ago that was kinda weird and interesting like their OMAC before.
Batcow was featured in it :)

Is that Infinity Man and the Forever People? I can't seem to find any trades for sale, and even though DC's website has an entry for it, trying to follow the links to physical copies doesn't come up with anything on either Amazon or Barnes and Nobles. Weird, the one time I think I might actually want to give Didio money and I can't.

I wonder who the team that wants Shazam! is. Hope it's at least half as good as Thunderworld.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Johns and Frank might be able to keep at it monthly after Doomsday Clock if he doesn't have to go off and write the Green Lantern movie or something.

e: Though with "expressed so much interest" that team wouldn't really need to be pleading to get it, so maybe Lemire and Shaner after The Terrifics.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jan 17, 2018

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Oh poo poo! Which issue number?

Injustice 2, issue 41.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Dammit, Batman, keep it in your bat-pants!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Did anyone else's internal WW voice go to Borat for this issue?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Well I didn't expect James Robinson to write the second-worst issue containing Wonder Woman this week, but here we are I guess.

Tom King does know that this exact story, more or less beat for beat, was during already done in Action Comics #761, right? Like is this supposed to be an homage or something? "Let's set up Diana as the siren temptress drawing hapless manly men away from their doting wives again, except with Batman this time"? gently caress this story, it wasn't great the first time around and a total copy-paste doesn't do it any more favors.

Heck, what about the fact that Diana is involved with someone else right now? I guarantee you that King doesn't even mention Steve before the end of next issue.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

BrianWilly posted:

Tom King does know that this exact story, more or less beat for beat, was during already done in Action Comics #761, right?

Check the last few pages. It was a surprise for him.

e: I don't think it's necessarily in Diana's character to piously hold out for Steve after a decade of sexy monster fights.
Superman would be a total huge deal. His whole worth would be at stake over an extramarital kiss (and as I understand, he clung on for a thousand years in the other story,) but Catwoman would probably go "You held out on that for ten years? I'd've jumped her bones in a week!"

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jan 17, 2018

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Read? This forum?? With my eyes???

Well that makes me feel better about King but way worse about his editors, and also it's still really annoying that this sort of story was his first instinctive go-to idea when writing about a Batman/WW team-up...their first one in his run, afaik. Not to mention her characterization for the rest of the issue, even without the whole seductress team-mate thing, wasn't much better. "Haha! I laugh at you men trying to fight!"

So many writers are so stuck in their idea of this character, which is so incomprehensible to me. We just had a really popular movie come out that shows pretty much exactly what the character should be like. Just do that! Don't do this!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Seductress. They sexied each other up. Who wouldn't get wet at Bruce Wayne shaving his stubble with a battle axe?
After ten years that leads to a maybe kiss? gently caress Steve.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

catlord posted:

I also read Final Crisis. I was a little confused about the Superman Beyond issues (though they were cool), but I think I got it? There's basically two stories going on that are largely unconnected? Darkseid and all that, and Mandrakk?
They're loosely connected in that Darkseid is the DC U embodiment of all that is evil, and his weaponization of the Anti-Life Equation is not just a victory of Capital E-vil over the Good, but also a stagnation (ALL IS DARKSEID) and a total loss of Hope.

Superman fights this in-universe (Truth Justice, etc), but Beyond pulls him out to the multiverse to fight Mandrakk's metaversal corruption.
Beyond 1 posits that Superman stands at the creation of the DCU (Golden Superman Statue) and that the Orrery of Worlds (all stable worlds/stories in the DCU) are essentially guarded by this innate Hope that Superman is cable of. There's stuff about symmetries and Mandrakk's position as the Fallen Chosen and whatnot, but it ultimately comes down to the idea that you need Superman to set the tone of the DCU, for good or ill, and that it's best to embrace the nature of comics for good.

Mandrakk's defeat in Beyond sets up his successor's return as the Final Bad in FC, because once the in-universe avatar of Evil has been done away with, you need to excise the metatextual cause of corruption in the DCU (namely, Grimdark/Misunderstood Moorian Realism, employed by misguided Editors and Writers) in order to start off correctly. Mandrakk is defeated by the most awesome crossover DCU can ever hope to accomplish (angels, the Supermen of the multiverse, the universe's most awesome GLs) + a superhero rabbit because that poo poo is what comics can be about, absurdly awesome impossible things.

I don't think it quite sticks the landing (The art, especially is a little weak), because Mandrakk appears out of nowhere if you don't have the SB context, and it does feel like a last minute "HA HA No Now I Am Truely The Most Evil Badguy EVER" out of nowhere given that you spend like 7 issues seeing how loving horrible Darkseid is.

Monitors: The "Fade to White" was them being written out/discarded by the UrMonitor/Infinity organism. Nix, the Young Upstart, is placed within E-Prime to live among them/ protect against metainvasions/whatever. It's kind of a way of saying "the old editor's practices that failed us need to go, give the universe over to new blood with fresh, inspirational ideas and everything will take care of itself".

It's kind of a laugh that then Multiversity happens and the Real Big Bad isn't Bad Editor/Writers, but Industry Practices, Fanboyism, and Online Criticism Culture

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

BrianWilly posted:

We just had a really popular movie come out that shows pretty much exactly what the character should be like. Just do that! Don't do this!

The only way to write Wonder Woman is to make her Steve Rogers, got it

ed: Like, I mean, lol. Don't use a movie that's beat-for-beat a copy of a Marvel movie as the One True Characterization of one of the best female supes if not the best ever, especially in direct comparison to Rucka WW, which we just got a story all about how her different characterizations are equally valid, and is way more applicable to the current medium (being, you know, a comic and not a movie) and frankly just a flat out better version of WW than pretty much any other. I'll take WW: Year One as The Definitive Take a billion zillion times over the movie version

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jan 17, 2018