Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Did they only practise this outdoors or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
Maybe they calculated out far OUT the bike had to go, but forgot that it also went UP at the same time.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Phanatic posted:

Xpost from the China thread:
I can't be the only one who was expecting the big forklift to just put the entire little forklift in the opening...

Baronjutter posted:

Did they only practise this outdoors or something?
It wouldn't surprise me to find out they had practiced elsewhere in the garage where there weren't pipes in the way, then someone decided the shot would look better over here and no one thought it through.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
From the schadenfreude thread:

golden bubble posted:

Remember the false alarm in Hawaii? This is the screen that caused the alert:

https://twitter.com/CivilBeat/status/953127914618302464

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

ekuNNN posted:

From the schadenfreude thread:

Mehhh could be worse, how much you wanna bet there are passwords at our launch silos for something that are written down in the same manner?

Also, people from hawaii are lazy as poo poo, source: I have 3 clients from there (fairly large) they are all lazy and there are passwords on post-it notes everywhere (not that it's a uniquely hawaiian thing)

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

wolrah posted:

I can't be the only one who was expecting the big forklift to just put the entire little forklift in the opening...

It wouldn't surprise me to find out they had practiced elsewhere in the garage where there weren't pipes in the way, then someone decided the shot would look better over here and no one thought it through.

I hope they incorporated the shot in whatever they were filming considering all the trouble it caused.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

MF_James posted:

Mehhh could be worse, how much you wanna bet there are passwords at our launch silos for something that are written down in the same manner?

They don't need to be written down: they are '00000000'

(I am not joking)

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

spog posted:

(I am not joking)

In all honesty I do believe you and am not shocked in any way.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

spog posted:

(I am not joking)

This isn't quite as bad as it sounds, because in order to get to the point where you enter the 00000000 access code, you would have to have gotten past the site guards, driven to the missile silo itself, broken in through the blast-proof door, and incapacitated both of the silo operators.

Unless you leave the blast doors open so that the pizza guy can get in

Moto42
Jul 14, 2006

:dukedog:
Part of me wants to buy up a few of those notebooks that are made for keeping login info in and sending them to people/companies I would want to rob.
Then you simply break in and have full access to their bank accounts.

Be sure to include a section for security question answers and SSN...

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

This isn't quite as bad as it sounds, because in order to get to the point where you enter the 00000000 access code, you would have to have gotten past the site guards, driven to the missile silo itself, broken in through the blast-proof door, and incapacitated both of the silo operators.

Unless you leave the blast doors open so that the pizza guy can get in

"hmmmm there's a big nuclear warhead in here that, if launched, will likely plunge the world into some horrif..... oooo we're ordering pizza I'll go prop the door open"

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
boats....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4wMq8u4-Ts

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
The shot of the side of the boat where the propeller chewed it up is pretty nasty.

Fisherman caught on video jumping into water to avoid death sues boat driver

quote:

Clatsop County sheriff’s deputies accused boat driver Marlin Lee Larsen of several crimes after the 75-year-old told investigators he couldn’t see where he was driving because he was sitting down and the dash of his boat was blocking his view. Larsen said he probably should have been standing, according to the sheriff’s report, which notes Larsen uses a motorized scooter to get around on land.

Larsen ... said a lawsuit seemed unnecessary because the people in the Weldcraft weren’t hurt badly.

He's also being tried for reckless operation of a boat, fourth-degree assault and recklessly endangering the lives of others, which are apparently only misdemeanors.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

quote:

Larsen, a Roseburg resident, told The Oregonian/OregonLive by phone Friday that he wasn’t using his cellphone while driving his Bayliner and referred to such allegations as “fake news.” Larsen also said a lawsuit seemed unnecessary because the people in the Weldcraft weren’t hurt badly.

:laffo: why did you chop that part?!

MF_James
May 8, 2008

It's totally cool if I drive with my head between my legs, nah I can't see the road but everyone should be fine.

*edit* I just can't come up with something better that would apply in a car, wtf did this guy think? "I can't see poo poo and I'm going pretty loving fast, everyone better GTFO of my way bitches!"

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
One just has to assume that the other boaters have all read the How to Avoid Large Ships book, and that also you have the largest ship around.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Leisure boating people are garbage.

edit:

That includes people who fish for fun

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

TTerrible posted:

:laffo: why did you chop that part?!

Yeah I should have left that in.

Someone correct me on this, but in my limited understanding of the US legal system, misdemeanors are lesser crimes than felonies, right? So if this guy is being charged with misdemeanors, does that mean he has a lesser chance of being sent to jail/being levied serious fines?

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Leisure boating people are garbage.

edit:

That includes people who fish for fun

Leisure boating seems to be strictly for rich dickheads. Doubly so for people that do things like water skiing and jet skiing.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Memento posted:

Someone correct me on this, but in my limited understanding of the US legal system, misdemeanors are lesser crimes than felonies, right? So if this guy is being charged with misdemeanors, does that mean he has a lesser chance of being sent to jail/being levied serious fines?

Yes. Misdemeanors are usually things like vandalism, public drunkenness, shoplifting, possession of a couple of joints, and so on. A first offender charged with a misdemeanor would probably just have to pay a fine and do some community service.

Serious crimes, violent crimes, or repeated offenses put you into felony territory, where you generally go to prison.

Of course in the US justice system this is also highly dependent on the state and on politically-motivated activist laws. There have been some famous cases where people who had committed a few very minor crimes (e.g. a homeless man repeatedly charged with vagrancy and drunkenness) got sent to prison for decades because they stole a can of coke while having a swiss army knife in their pocket, making it armed robbery with a history of repeated offenses, etc.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jan 18, 2018

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Memento posted:

Yeah I should have left that in.

Leisure boating seems to be strictly for rich dickheads. Doubly so for people that do things like water skiing and jet skiing.

Misdemeanors are a lesser level of crime than a felony but can still carry up to a year in jail or 3 years of probation, prosecutors tend to have more flexibility in charges, restitution, and plea bargains. Additionally a plea of guilty or no contest does not necessarily mean that the guy is off the hook from civil claims depending on the state.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I found an article with a picture of the guy, and he looks about what you'd expect from someone who rides a motor scooter and says "fake news"
http://www.dailyastorian.com/Local_News/20160427/tiny-lodges-may-pop-up-in-hammond

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Memento posted:

You may be surprised how cheap you can get a boat for. Lots of people have boats and jet skis and are not rich.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Atticus_1354 posted:

You may be surprised how cheap you can get a boat for. Lots of people have boats and jet skis and are not rich.

In a global comparison having a working 20 year old refrigerator makes you rich you bougie scum.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Atticus_1354 posted:

This is mostly because owning a boat is expensive and tedious and a lot of people are absolutely desperate to unload that monkey's paw onto some other sucker.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Asimo posted:

This is mostly because owning a boat is expensive and tedious and a lot of people are absolutely desperate to unload that monkey's paw onto some other sucker.

Yeah, a buddy of mine has a boat and he can use it about twice a year since he has to rent it out the rest of the time to pay for it

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Atticus_1354 posted:

Yeah not after they owned a boat for a few months

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

MutantBlue posted:

I was an enlisted Missile Combat Crew Member for the Titan-II ICBM in Wichita, KS (before they were deactivated).

This might be a little OSHA. It's my personal hardhat painted in "turtle" camouflage. It's also a bit scuffed up.

Sometimes when we were bored we'd have a contest to see who could skip their hardhat down the long cableway without hitting the sides. We called it Turtle Racing (hence my nice paint job).

I have fond memories of the Cold War.

I’m a bit behind on the thread, but wanted to thank you for sharing. That’s pretty damned cool.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/OnmmxJo.mp4

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Asimo posted:

Is this true of all boats or just the ones people talk about as 'pleasure craft'? I kinda wanna get a lil rowboat some day.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

spog posted:

(I am not joking)

I think I heard that they were also written down, just in case.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Keiya posted:

Is this true of all boats or just the ones people talk about as 'pleasure craft'? I kinda wanna get a lil rowboat some day.

Something like a rowboat is basically free to maintain after you buy it. Anything with a motor is when they can start to drain your wallet, or anything you leave in the water instead of taking out when you're done.

Sailboats are expensive too for anything larger than a Hobie.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

DiggityDoink posted:

Something like a rowboat is basically free to maintain after you buy it. Anything with a motor is when they can start to drain your wallet, or anything you leave in the water instead of taking out when you're done.

This one, basically. If it's small enough that when it breaks you can haul it out and put it in your backyard, well, maybe it'll rot there but at least it won't keep costing your money.

A small aluminum rowboat is nearly indestructible, basically free, and can accept a small outboard motor if you want to dip your toes :haw: into that field.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Memento posted:

The shot of the side of the boat where the propeller chewed it up is pretty nasty.

Fisherman caught on video jumping into water to avoid death sues boat driver

He's also being tried for reckless operation of a boat, fourth-degree assault and recklessly endangering the lives of others, which are apparently only misdemeanors.

it's amazing how many people don't realize that operating a boat is like driving a big car that can't brake, and also many of the same "rules of the road" apply

years ago i was watching some tv show like Boat Cops: Nevada where on some lake near las vegas on memorial day the lake police were out driving around busting idiots boating badly

pretty much all of them went like the cop asking if a guy, driving a boat and holding a beer, has been drinking and the guy is just like "yeah, why"

Keiya posted:

the less complicated your boat is, the more affordable it is

this is why most serious fishermen have a little fifteen foot aluminum boat with a cheap motor that you can take home on a trailer

if you buy a big enough boat to where moving it is a hassle and you have to rent a berth at a marina, lmao at your wallet

i worked at a marina for a summer and you'd be surprised how many desperate middle aged men would ask me, an obvious gangly high schooler detailing boats for minimum wage, if i was interested in taking it off their hands for a good price

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jan 18, 2018

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Here's what happens when you leave your boat's motor running while you take a dump and you're deaf and/or stupid and also you are operating near a ferry line

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtZJ__8PVDU

check out the boat's name for some bonus :haw:

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Sagebrush posted:

Here's what happens when you leave your boat's motor running while you take a dump and you're deaf and/or stupid and also you are operating near a ferry line

Given how loud those horns are you'd expect him to have (involuntarily) finished his poo poo the first time it honked.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

DiggityDoink posted:

Sailboats are expensive too for anything larger than a Hobie.

A boat is hole in the water into which you pour money.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Sagebrush posted:

Wow, that guy got off really lucky there.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Is noted Youtube reckless endangerment charge waiting to happen King of Random getting booked on felony explosives charges for filming himself setting off some kind of incendiary powder in his backyard and then having to call the fire department when the inevitable happened OSHA?

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
This boat chat is stupid, they are exactly like cars, if you maintain them, they last a very long time. Use it twice a year, it will poo poo the bed. A boat cost about the same as a mid-range sports car, and has about the same maintenance fees and schedule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Pokey Araya posted:

This boat chat is stupid, they are exactly like cars, if you maintain them, they last a very long time. Use it twice a year, it will poo poo the bed. A boat cost about the same as a mid-range sports car, and has about the same maintenance fees and schedule.

Hmm yes let's just jaunt down to Supermarket Island after we pick up the kids at Daycare Key because the ice caps have melted and owning a 29' cruiser with a ~JUICY~ tramp stamp on the stern is no longer conspicuous consumption.