Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Being billed per GB has, for better or worse, caused me to actually bother paying attention to my usage and using wifi when I otherwise wouldn't have bothered. 8 GB in a month seems really high for non-wifi data, I'm impressed.

Isn't bandwith shared among phones on the plan? I imagine that is more to convince families to switch to fi over just individuals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
As a father with an eleven and fourteen year old who watch a ton of YouTube, I, for one, welcome our Bill Protection overlords.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
Bandwidth is shared but the data charge cap changes depending on how many users you have.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

THF13 posted:

Bandwidth is shared but the data charge cap changes depending on how many users you have.

It should be noted that the throttling only occurs to individuals that go above 15gb, that limit isn't also shared.

I've heavily considering switching to that T-Mobile plan since I've been feeling the itch to stream music and stuff more often, so this is pretty great news. I used to be on Sprint, so if I somehow manage to get to 15gb I'll be used to the throttled speeds :v:

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I think this has been discussed previously in this thread, but I"m feeling pretty entitled. I want to bring my wife in on my plan, give her my 5X and get myself a motox4. Can I just order the phone and start the plan and just swap around the SIM cards?

B.H. Facials
May 9, 2011

"Getting teased is part of growing up. It's no big deal. Just tell yourself, 'Sticks and stones may break my bones, but a .44 Magnum will tear that bully a new asshole!'"

Bloodplay it again posted:

It might work, but I've been reading a lot of horror stories on Reddit about poo poo just not working right after replacing the battery. Plus, the right-side of my camera glass is cracked and I don't think I can pry it off without breaking it into a million pieces. :(

You can get replacement glass on eBay. Honestly it's not that bad. Spend 20ish bucks and have a working phone or spend a few hundred for a new phone. As far as batteries go Huawei apparently doesn't have batteries available to unaffiliated repair places. So I'd assume all the Huawei marked batteries are counterfeit and that's what people are having problems with.

B.H. Facials fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jan 17, 2018

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

B.H. Facials posted:

You can get replacement glass on eBay. Honestly it's not that bad. Spend 20ish bucks and have a working phone or spend a few hundred for a new phone. As far as batteries go Huawei apparently doesn't have batteries available to unaffiliated repair places. So I'd assume all the Huawei marked batteries are counterfeit and that's what people are having problems with.

Oh poo poo. Thanks for the link. I might actually spend $20 or so to try and get this battery replaced now. Have been checking out other carriers and occasionally looking for secondhand Pixels, but that's probably gonna be the cheapest route.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Jago posted:

I think this has been discussed previously in this thread, but I"m feeling pretty entitled. I want to bring my wife in on my plan, give her my 5X and get myself a motox4. Can I just order the phone and start the plan and just swap around the SIM cards?

Why do you hate your wife?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

FogHelmut posted:

You'd be looking at a $80 a month plan for 6+ gb on Fi.

The thing to consider with T-Mobile - make sure you're considering all of your data usage. Things like video and music streaming didn't get listed in your data usage on T-Mobile, not sure if that's still the case. Other perks T-Mobile used to have were things like free MLBTv or Free in-flight texting. Not sure if you use any of those, but you get no perks with Fi.

The unlimited plan I'm on right now doesn't have zero rating for anything since I'm paying for full quality. They only zero rate if you do the plans with traffic shaping. That's their cheaper plan. Mine is $95/month currently.

I'm mainly trying to see if going to Fi is truly T-Mobile + Sprint or if I'm actually going to get into a situation where I get punted to inferior backhaul or an overloaded tower on Sprint simply because that signal is stronger than T-Mobile right then.

If it's a net gain in coverage, this seems like a good idea. If it's going to cause more headaches, then maybe not.

I'm also looking that I should be able to get a discounted Moto X4 AND unload a still currently functional 5x via trade in. Net cost of that phone would then be sub $200 and would make a great spare. Then I'm out of my 5x guilt free.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jan 17, 2018

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

There's a free app that you can use to force switch carriers, so no need to worry about being stuck on a bad tower or anything.

B.H. Facials
May 9, 2011

"Getting teased is part of growing up. It's no big deal. Just tell yourself, 'Sticks and stones may break my bones, but a .44 Magnum will tear that bully a new asshole!'"

Bloodplay it again posted:

Oh poo poo. Thanks for the link. I might actually spend $20 or so to try and get this battery replaced now. Have been checking out other carriers and occasionally looking for secondhand Pixels, but that's probably gonna be the cheapest route.

Seriously the glass is what took me the longest to get past. If mine hadn't been intact I'd've just busted it right out. Beyond that pretty simple, just don't go hulk on anything.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

bull3964 posted:

an overloaded tower on Sprint simply because that signal is stronger than T-Mobile right then.

This is certainly a thing that I've experienced, and yes there are apps that can force you to switch, but it can be a constant struggle in some areas.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
The carrier switching is pretty moronic, usually. It'll jump from a perfectly usable and fast 3.5 bars of Sprint to 3.6 bars of t-mobile for no goddamn reason and interrupt whatever you're doing while it does so, or jump onto a carrier with no service where you are for no clear reason. It needs more user control, like "ask before switching if the phone is in use" and "always be on $carrier when at $location"

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

If you're a tinfoil hat type and you're getting bad reception, go into the "privacy" settings in your Fi app and see if you've turned off the toggle switch of "network diagnostics". I always turn off settings like this, but after turning it on a while back this correlated with a huge increase in reliability and signal when I am in a certain part of my house. I was having a lot of trouble getting any reception in a room I am often in, but now it works very well. I don't know if this is why the improvement happened, and I haven't tested turning the toggle off again to see if that makes a difference, but if you're really annoyed with low bars it's at least one more thing to try.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Javid posted:

The carrier switching is pretty moronic, usually. It'll jump from a perfectly usable and fast 3.5 bars of Sprint to 3.6 bars of t-mobile for no goddamn reason and interrupt whatever you're doing while it does so, or jump onto a carrier with no service where you are for no clear reason. It needs more user control, like "ask before switching if the phone is in use" and "always be on $carrier when at $location"

Yup, more interactivity with what tower your phone is using is exactly what I want from a carrier.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
It should send the data on both carriers and then deduplicate it and also not tell us or the carriers about it

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Lutha Mahtin posted:

If you're a tinfoil hat type and you're getting bad reception, go into the "privacy" settings in your Fi app and see if you've turned off the toggle switch of "network diagnostics". I always turn off settings like this, but after turning it on a while back this correlated with a huge increase in reliability and signal when I am in a certain part of my house. I was having a lot of trouble getting any reception in a room I am often in, but now it works very well. I don't know if this is why the improvement happened, and I haven't tested turning the toggle off again to see if that makes a difference, but if you're really annoyed with low bars it's at least one more thing to try.

Whenever I'm home or at the office, I put my phone into Airplane Mode then enable WiFi. Since I'm using WiFi Calling I don't have to worry about reception issues.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

air- posted:

Looking at switching to Fi - how well do the data only sims work abroad?

Here's what I have in mind: My brother is a current Fi customer and the idea is to have him add a data only sim that I'd use on my Pixel 2. I use Google Voice + Hangouts integration (meaning calls/SMS via Hangouts - so mobile data/wifi) and I go abroad frequently. Plus I don't want to lose the Google Voice number.

They work great. I have one for my wife, a couple for myself and one for my mother. They all use them in different countries (US, Canada, Netherlands and Kenya) and as long as data roaming is turned on they work perfectly. You just have to activate them all yourself.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Javid posted:

Yeah no thanks.

I've only ever had issues with Fi not knowing whether to use wifi or the cell towers :shrug: And that seems to have been sorted out, was over a year ago.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I'm glad I discovered FiSwitch because of this thread. Both phones I've had on Fi have loved to just hang out on one spectrum with no signal while the other one is just sitting there with 3+ bars and LTE. I don't get it.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Is FiSwitch better than Signal Spy?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Chaotic Flame posted:

Is FiSwitch better than Signal Spy?

I believe the Signal Spy guys have contacts that work for Project Fi so...that might be a good thing?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Well Google finally decided to not gently caress people with a 5x on a device replacement plan, not sure what happens if you already got hosed:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2018/01/21/moto-x4-android-one-now-offered-replacement-faulty-nexus-5x-phones-project-fi-lieu-crappy-53-payout/

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Good news for me. I've been dreading bootloop day since I got my 5x in 2016.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Just saw the data protection stuff. So, my bill is capped at $80 regardless of data usage? That seems like a pretty decent deal, though I'm not up on what other carriers are offering these days.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
T Mo $70, Verizon $85 plus fees, and ATT $90 plus fees for unlimited (all those prices include a $5 autopay discount).

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Anyone here using Hangouts to handle SMS? I've abandoned Pushbullet because it seems the developers have too and now I'm really bummed out about the inability to send out SMS from my desktop. I know MMS is hosed in general unless you participate directly from a phone, but I'm wondering if Hangouts is okay to go back to for one-to-one messages from my computer.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

IAmKale posted:

Anyone here using Hangouts to handle SMS? I've abandoned Pushbullet because it seems the developers have too and now I'm really bummed out about the inability to send out SMS from my desktop. I know MMS is hosed in general unless you participate directly from a phone, but I'm wondering if Hangouts is okay to go back to for one-to-one messages from my computer.

I use hangouts for SMS with no issues. I can receive MMS messages fine regardless of if I'm on my PC or phone, I haven't tried sending MMS from my PC anytime recently so I'm not sure how well that works or not.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

THF13 posted:

I use hangouts for SMS with no issues. I can receive MMS messages fine regardless of if I'm on my PC or phone, I haven't tried sending MMS from my PC anytime recently so I'm not sure how well that works or not.
I think I've used Hangouts for MMS before, and had fairly seamless experiences. I tried a couple of apps for desktop SMS integration before Hangouts, and they were pretty hit or miss. Hangouts isn't perfect, but it is real, real good.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I use Hangouts for SMS/MMS on the phone, along with the desktop web version. Still works great.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!
Yea, there is a chrome plugin or whatever for hangouts, it'll look like a separate window and all. That's how I use it.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

IAmKale posted:

I've been using pushbullet to send sms from my desktop for a long time, was there a change recently so you can't anymore?

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

ILikeVoltron posted:

Yea, there is a chrome plugin or whatever for hangouts, it'll look like a separate window and all. That's how I use it.

I just have a pinned tab in Chrome for Inbox, and that thing chimes whenever I get a text. Works great.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Cabbit posted:

pinned tab

I didn't know one could do that!

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!
I like Hangouts alright but had better luck with Signal.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
I use an app called Join to text from Chrome. It does most of the stuff pushbullet did.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I'm just glad I'm not completely out of the loop by still using Hangouts. There's all those other options out there and I was worried I was on the same level as the really old people still paying for AOL.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

nocal posted:

I use an app called Join to text from Chrome. It does most of the stuff pushbullet did.
Join is a pretty solid contender to Pushbullet if you use Chrome as your regular browser. Unfortunately I switched back to Firefox thanks to Quantum, but a Join extension for Firefox still doesn't exist.

It's all good, though - I didn't really use actionable notifications anyway, so being able to send SMS from Hangouts is the perfect substitute for Pushbullet for me.

fknlo posted:

I'm just glad I'm not completely out of the loop by still using Hangouts. There's all those other options out there and I was worried I was on the same level as the really old people still paying for AOL.
It's weird to me that Hangouts is usable for SMS if you're on Fi, but not as an SMS handler for non-Fi users. I guess with Fi being able to handle SMS and phone calls over the internet they're able to integrate better into Hangouts? :iiam:

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

IAmKale posted:

It's weird to me that Hangouts is usable for SMS if you're on Fi, but not as an SMS handler for non-Fi users. I guess with Fi being able to handle SMS and phone calls over the internet they're able to integrate better into Hangouts? :iiam:
My guess would be it has something to do with what Google can manipulate with access to the backbone. It's worked better than the other couple of options I've tried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

IAmKale posted:

I use it for SMS with my Google Voice number.