Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

a.lo posted:

LABBO

LABBO

LABBO!

BRING BACK SHERRIF LABO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Ometeotl posted:

Resetera is melting down over this, it's incredible

poo poo you weren't kidding.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
believe it or not by complete chance I actually met the lead researcher behind the Joy-Cons, he wouldn't divulge company secrets but he told me that out of everything in the switch the part Nintendo were the most anal and secretive and high tech about was the joy-cons, he said it's the scariest meeting he's ever been in when he was told what would happen if he ever spilled the beans on the tech behind the joy-cons. he was a pretty cool dude and fuckin smart as gently caress, his English was superb so it was a fun conversation.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jan 18, 2018

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Al-Saqr posted:

believe it or not by complete chance I actually met the lead researcher behind the Joy-Cons, he wouldn't divulge company secrets but he told me that out of everything in the switch the part Nintendo were the most anal and secretive and high tech about was the joy-cons, he said it's the scariest meeting he's ever been in when he was told what would happen if he ever spilled the beans on the tech behind the joy-cons. s

ask your uncle what teh secret of the joycons is and report back

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
What the gently caress does this one even mean?

Bambi's dead mom? What?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Al-Saqr posted:

believe it or not by complete chance I actually met the lead researcher behind the Joy-Cons, he wouldn't divulge company secrets but he told me that out of everything in the switch the part Nintendo were the most anal and secretive and high tech about was the joy-cons, he said it's the scariest meeting he's ever been in when he was told what would happen if he ever spilled the beans on the tech behind the joy-cons. s

say hi to my uncle for me

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Yeah I mean I think this was a problem I had with Xenoblade 2 before I realized I was just being an idiot

At first I was like oh man this humor and writing is for kids it sucks

Then I was just like well it's a game for kids there's nothing wrong with that

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
I don't get why people are upset and this and calling these things tech demos or whatever. It looks like a standard videogame that costs a little more because it has a pack-in peripheral. Like a standard videogame, I'd expect it to have a 20 to 40 hour lifespan. This videogame is part building cardboard things and part playing around with them, then you move on to the next project. Hopefully by the end, you'll have had a good time and you can maybe move onto other videogames if you'd like. Why is the price that weird compared to a videogame with no cardboard? Why do people expect these games to be barebones tech demos?

Unless the robot thing is really hot poo poo, I won't buy it, but it looks like a great deal for younger people who are into these things.

Shifty gimbal fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jan 18, 2018

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Overbite posted:

ask your uncle what teh secret of the joycons is and report back

alf_pogs posted:

say hi to my uncle for me

lol I knew you fucks would pull this card on me. but for real I did actually meet him.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

thanks now I have brain cancer

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of secret Joy Con tech, I have original Joy Cons from March and never sent them off to get fixed, if they are doing the "randomly dying in the joycon dock" thing that the launch ones did, can I still send them off to get fixed? How long does it take to get new ones back?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Harrow posted:

Labo is a cute idea and I hope they keep expanding on it and doing other things with it. Love the idea of using the built-in IR sensor to make a keyboard.

I would not be at all surprised to see some single-sheet/project expansion kits released for dirt-cheap.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
What's even the point of linking to unhappy idiots on other forums? I bet the 4chan video game board has some pretty bad takes on Labo, I'm not going to check to find out and report my results.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

homeless snail posted:

thanks now I have brain cancer

Hold on have one more.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

acksplode posted:

It's really cool to see how a lot of these toycons take advantage of it. Apparently you get fine-grained control on the robot's limbs because you're tugging wires that are moving IR reflective pads in front of the camera.

Yeah, it's a great tech showcase all around.

I feel like a bunch of ~core gamers~ feel somehow insulted by this but, I mean, even beyond this being a literal toy for kids to play with, it's also a great showcase for the kinds of things joycons can do.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Just one honest to god question, and then I'll go away and stop making fun of the cardboard thing I promise.

What is the difference between Labio and all of the plastic pos Wii peripherals that everyone grew to hate a few years ago, aside from looking not durable at all, costing way more, and having a vaguely empowering marketing scheme that tries to convince you that you are really creative for playing with it?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I find it funny people are complaining about the games being simplistic on a system where people bought 1 2 Switch and ARMS.

Harrow posted:

Yeah, it's a great tech showcase all around.

I feel like a bunch of ~core gamers~ feel somehow insulted by this but, I mean, even beyond this being a literal toy for kids to play with, it's also a great showcase for the kinds of things joycons can do.

Yeah exactly, who's to say they won't think of some really cool peripherals for more "hardcore" games down the line. Hell I wouldn't be surprised if Metroid Prime 4 had something.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
I know there were probably people who used to play Guitar Hero a decade ago but begrudgingly played it. Like their friends would hang out and play Guitar Hero or Rock Band and you'd always have this one person in the group who was so mad that they're all coming together to play this plastic guitar game and not some sort of gaming ambrosia.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

they should put 'as bad as 1 2 switch and arms' right on the box

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

But honestly it's kind of cool and charming, I just think it looks like a really half baked idea, and unless the games turn out to be way more substantial than I'm assuming they are, it seems like a bad deal.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

mlyp

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

veni veni veni posted:

Just one honest to god question, and then I'll go away and stop making fun of the cardboard thing I promise.

What is the difference between Labio and all of the plastic pos Wii peripherals that everyone grew to hate a few years ago, aside from looking not durable at all, costing way more, and having a vaguely empowering marketing scheme that tries to convince you that you are really creative for playing with it?

There was like...three of them that were offically supported int he end. The Zapper thing, the nunchuck and Guitar Hero stuff. In the end there weren't that many Wiimote accessories made.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

You say what's the difference, but what are the similarities? These have to be built, they're craft kits first and foremost, and your kids sick cardboard robot suits will only work in one more than likely bad game. If it was a prebuilt cardboard steering wheel and they were like "play Mario Kart with this" then that would be stupid

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

At least it seems like the majority of people later in the thread are being reasonable about it, ranging from "it's neat but it isn't for me" to "this is going to set the toy market on fire" to "I was born too early."

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/953808852792655872

:eyepop:

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
My kid is going to love the poo poo out of Labo and hopefully the cardboard will be cheap to replace when he loves the poo poo out of them until he's torn them to pieces.

veni veni veni posted:

Those were peripherals for other games and often didn't work as intended, mostly because Wii motion controls honestly weren't that good or precise. These are two games designed around specific pack in peripherals that are designed specifically to work with that game (or really "software" since there may not be "game" aspects to them). It's much closer to the mouse from Mario Paint or the instruments from Guitar Band Hero.

Part of the fun for these is literally in the construction and decoration of the cardboard peripherals and finding unique ways to interact with them.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Every time I’m at an Apple store, I always see kids mesmerized by similar creative tech toys they have there. This looks much more compelling and will be way cheaper. This is going to sell a ridiculous amount.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

The peripherals here are cheaper, not made of plastic that'll end up in a landfill, I can make as many as I want out of extra cardboard, I can can dress them up with glitter and tassels, I can make a piano and play you a song of Nintendo's triumph, I can become a robot and destroy you for your posting, etc.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Al-Saqr posted:

believe it or not by complete chance I actually met the lead researcher behind the Joy-Cons, he wouldn't divulge company secrets but he told me that out of everything in the switch the part Nintendo were the most anal and secretive and high tech about was the joy-cons, he said it's the scariest meeting he's ever been in when he was told what would happen if he ever spilled the beans on the tech behind the joy-cons. he was a pretty cool dude and fuckin smart as gently caress, his English was superb so it was a fun conversation.

what secret tech? a locking mechanism and a development of the wii sticks?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhRZXdcxhyg

Three years in the making

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i want to see Cardboard Robot Labbo Game at AGDQ 2019

can't wait to see what speedrun hacks people make to their cardboard suits to shave frames off

Kuai
May 25, 2004

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

underage at the vape shop posted:

It's not a 'secret' tech it's more that those joycons are surprisingly high-tech and unique, he didnt describe specifics but he mentioned that nintendo really took the development of the joy-cons seriously and poured a ton of R&D into it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/pullahoko/status/953776337482809344

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

underage at the vape shop posted:

the blood-splattered pact with Satan to ensure Nintendo's dominance from 2017-onwards

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
The backpack wont even fit unless you're a little kid.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
oh my god I'm already over the cardboard chat

it's gonna be a long few months isn't it?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
My favorite thing about Labo is that I’m positive there were nerds out there convinced that Nintendo was going to show a trailer for Metroid Prime 4 or Smash 5 or something and they are so pissed right now that it’s literally cardboard toys for children.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

veni veni veni posted:

Things like the zapper, steering wheel, golf/tennis/baseball grip were just hunks of plastic that changed how you hold the controller. By contrast, the ToyCon piano, for example, has strips on each of the cardboard keys that reflect IR and the right JoyCon IR camera senses them as different notes. The remote control critter thing uses the HD rumble to vibrate each JoyCon at different frequencies to move it forward/backward or turn. So in principal, it seems like these are combining the different hardware features of the JoyCons and tablet together in ways that aren't possible with the the hardware itself while playing. Then when building it kids are learning how to mechanically put something together with the folder cardboard, rubber band pulleys and levers, and stuff like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Mahoning posted:

My favorite thing about Labo is that I’m positive there were nerds out there convinced that Nintendo was going to show a trailer for Metroid Prime 4 or Smash 5 or something and they are so pissed right now that it’s literally cardboard toys for children.

Imagine being one of these people and getting mad over not seeing games you already know exist a few months early.

• Locked thread