Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

underage at the vape shop posted:

what secret tech? a locking mechanism and a development of the wii sticks?

Just the fact they detach and can be independent controllers would've given away some aspects of the Switch's nature before its official reveal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Overbite posted:

The backpack wont even fit unless you're a little kid.

Is the cardboard DRMed or something? I bet it'll be a week max before there are youtube videos of custom designs that work with the games. Really goofy pianos and poo poo.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
lol cardboard is now #4 on the amazon videogame charts.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Wow an actual 4chan caliber post. Congrats, I guess

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Al-Saqr posted:

It's not a 'secret' tech it's more that those joycons are surprisingly high-tech and unique, he didnt describe specifics but he mentioned that nintendo really took the development of the joy-cons seriously and poured a ton of R&D into it.
They're just wiimotes with a slide rail though.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

homeless snail posted:

You say what's the difference, but what are the similarities? These have to be built, they're craft kits first and foremost, and your kids sick cardboard robot suits will only work in one more than likely bad game. If it was a prebuilt cardboard steering wheel and they were like "play Mario Kart with this" then that would be stupid

Yeah but the end result is the same, and kids build stuff out of cardboard for free all of the time and actually get to be creative while doing it vs following some instructions. This just seems like commodifying childhood creativity in a really cheesy, hip way.

Don't get me wrong I'm sure there are plenty of kids toys out there that are way worse, and even I'll admit it's sort of neat, but the marketing is a lot more interesting than the actual product.

Willias
Sep 3, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

Just one honest to god question, and then I'll go away and stop making fun of the cardboard thing I promise.

What is the difference between Labio and all of the plastic pos Wii peripherals that everyone grew to hate a few years ago, aside from looking not durable at all, costing way more, and having a vaguely empowering marketing scheme that tries to convince you that you are really creative for playing with it?

There's a certain amount of ownership involved when your kid puts this together and actually gets it to work. It's something they made, they built. Furthermore it's a bit of a learning tool, because you actually have to figure out how to get this poo poo working before you can play the games.

This is like those science kits for kids except there's a video game reward after your kid makes the thing.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

acksplode posted:

Is the cardboard DRMed or something? I bet it'll be a week max before there are youtube videos of custom designs that work with the games. Really goofy pianos and poo poo.

in a way you could say that the software is the DRM, because unless indie developers will make new games and 3D print cardboard then the software will determine how the cardboard is used.

BASICALLY SOMEONE'S GONNA BEAT DARK SOULS WITH THE PIANO.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Cobalt Viper posted:

And an IR sensor, and much better rumble, and better motion sensing.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Cobalt Viper posted:

they're incredibly sensitive, high-fidelity, and high tech, HD rumble wii-motes that had to weigh almost nothing and be as small as they are while support things like this carboard application we're seeing now.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Al-Saqr posted:

in a way you could say that the software is the DRM, because unless indie developers will make new games and 3D print cardboard then the software will determine how the cardboard is used.

I believe you mean with the Robot kit.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Fair points though. The fact that they look to be somewhat complex kits does make them inherently more interesting than random Wiimote accessories.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Harrow posted:

And an IR sensor, and much better rumble, and better motion sensing.
The Wiimote had all of these things... And of course it should be better, it came out 10 year later.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

People keep talking about playing other games with the piano, but given that it uses the IR camera, that seems unlikely... or am I underestimating the modding community?

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Al-Saqr posted:

cardboard chat got interesting real quick

Yeah I'm with veni veni veni on this, cool and neat I guess? I don't think irl kids are gonna love this anywhere near as much as goon opioon suggests, rather it's gonna be another quickly forgotten gimmick in a pile of neglected, busted up toys, but we'll see. In the meantine the switch library is still supremely strong and shows no signs of slowing down so more power to nintendo

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I think the joycons are cool but to tell some weird vague story about them being shrouded in mystery because of some super secret tech involved when in reality it's just a much better wiimote seems strange.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

thexerox123 posted:

People keep talking about playing other games with the piano, but given that it uses the IR camera, that seems unlikely... or am I underestimating the modding community?

I believe people already have the Joy Con working on PCs.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Cobalt Viper posted:

I think the joycons are cool but to tell some weird vague story about them being shrouded in mystery because of some super secret tech involved when in reality it's just a much better wiimote seems strange.

I was gonna say, is there anything in them that's "secret," like at all? What exactly is remarkable about them, tech wise? I do enjoy using them and all but ??

It's called bluetooth

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah but the end result is the same, and kids build stuff out of cardboard for free all of the time and actually get to be creative while doing it vs following some instructions. This just seems like commodifying childhood creativity in a really cheesy, hip way.

Don't get me wrong I'm sure there are plenty of kids toys out there that are way worse, and even I'll admit it's sort of neat, but the marketing is a lot more interesting than the actual product.
You're describing just about every craft kit in the toy store now though. Like you can buy a "make a purse out of duct tape kit" for $30 and it's just a roll of duct tape, some magic markers, and instructions. Or all the electronics kits that are just commodity electronic parts you could buy for 50 cents each if your kid was playing with a breadboard but are packaged in a "fun" way that lets them charge $15 for a resistor.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

KingSlime posted:

I was gonna say, is there anything in them that's "secret," like at all? What exactly is remarkable about them, tech wise? I do enjoy using them and all but ??

there's nothing in the joycon that's a secret, I was saying that nintendo took the development and secrecy of the joycons extremely seriously and poured alot into it to make it as powerful and small and light as it was..

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’m seeing so many posts saying “lol nerds are so mad about them making an announcement for kids then having an announcement for kids” and not any of the actual rants.

It’s like when October comes around and nobody posts about pumpkin poo poo but everyone whines about people posting pumpkin poo poo.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I can just throw random cardboard at my kid and he'd probably enjoy that for a bit and build a fort or whatever.

That's not the same as given him a kit that ends with a functional piano.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cobalt Viper posted:

Try thinking of it this way; What do you think caused Sony and Microsoft to suddenly develop the Move and Kinect, respectively?

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Hardcore gamers are big dumb whiny babies, what a surprise. That "games that respect my intelligence" post has to be the dumbest poo poo I've read all year.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Al-Saqr posted:

there's nothing in the joycon that's a secret, I was saying that nintendo took the development and secrecy of the joycons extremely seriously and poured alot into it to make it as powerful and small and light as it was..

I guess that makes more sense. In a similar vein, I'm honestly surprised we haven't seen sony or MS crank out a quick switch-like console that plays their big boy console games. Like a revitalized Vita or something

I'd buy a Sony Switch for what it's worth

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Interesting part of Labo; Nintendo's going to give the cardboard patterns away for free

So if you somehow have access to a printer that does cardboard, you're set for replacement parts I guess.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

KingSlime posted:

It's called a Vita, and nobody did.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

These are functioning mechanical toys, irrespective of what material they're made from. There's nothing wrong with providing pre-cut pieces and instructions for building something like that. It teaches about simple machines, gives the kid a chance to participate in building a toy for themselves, and provides an integrated in-game payoff.

Free-form imaginative crafts are cool! Being able to build an intricate pulley-based piano that works is also very cool. Providing a kit to make the latter does not stifle the former. I would argue that building these kits will give kids ideas for more stuff they can make and invent on their own.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Interesting part of Labo; Nintendo's going to give the cardboard patterns away for free

So if you somehow have access to a printer that does cardboard, you're set for replacement parts I guess.

may as well, no reason people wouldn't be sharing working patterns in weeks or months, if not instantly out of the gate

Waffleman_ posted:

No the Switch is Vita 2.0, a SwitchVita would be a full blown PS4 slim that can be docked/undocked. Oh, I guess the horsepower isn't there yet

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

KingSlime posted:

I guess that makes more sense. In a similar vein, I'm honestly surprised we haven't seen sony or MS crank out a quick switch-like console that plays their big boy console games. Like a revitalized Vita or something

LOL If you think Sony would support another portable system in the States any time soon.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

KingSlime posted:

Waffleman_ posted:

"It's the same console as a PS3, but portable! And you have to buy the games again for it!"

"Where are you going? Why are you all buying PS3's instead? :confused:"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Rolo posted:

I’m seeing so many posts saying “lol nerds are so mad about them making an announcement for kids then having an announcement for kids” and not any of the actual rants.

It’s like when October comes around and nobody posts about pumpkin poo poo but everyone whines about people posting pumpkin poo poo.

This is the internet now. Angry ranting nerds are obsolete, you just need to imagine angry ranting nerds as the subject of your righteous fury.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

thexerox123 posted:

You won't play other games with it on Switch, and the modding community isn't that far, but you can easily hook a joycon to a computer or cell phone, and people can write software to read the inputs however they want there. So yes, Dark Souls will be beat with the cardboard house

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

I bet the Switch would have gotten less traction if you could only buy expensive proprietary MicroSD cards.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Overbite posted:

The backpack wont even fit unless you're a little kid.

Make it bigger.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

KingSlime posted:

The joycon is basically the premise of the Switch's design, which is flexibility and mobility. If you only knew what a single joycon looked like, with a little thought you could probably infer how the rest of the system looks in handheld mode. And then it's not a leap to imagine sliding them off to form a separate controller and using a TV for display. I can totally see why Nintendo kept that under wraps. They share a lot of technology with Wiimotes and there's obviously a lineage there, but calling them just Wiimotes is pretty dumb. Wiimotes couldn't form into the best gaming handheld I've ever owned like voltron.

KingSlime posted:

Sony tried and gave up, MS doesn't care about mobile devices that aren't Windows laptops.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

the switch really is a bonkers and versatile little gizmo

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

At least there are enough Vitas floating around in Japan that they can keep porting PS4 games to it for a few more years.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
“Lol kids will never enjoy it! It’s just a piece of cardboard that only fits together one way, there’s no creativity involved in it!”

-some idiot when puzzles first came out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

acksplode posted:

Sony tried and gave up, MS doesn't care about mobile devices that aren't Windows laptops.

Yeah sony took a beating but that was their own dumbass fault for not supporting it properly. People wanted to love the vita, I could tell.

I loved the vita...

but now friendship with Vita is over and Switch is my new best friend

• Locked thread