Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Upon second viewing I can say these things about the film.

It is very pretty.
Driver is the best part about these films.
That milks is green but its def in that zesty got more blue than yellow quality to it.
The thing feels kinda hollow. I would agree with others that it has many big interesting ideas that it doesn't flesh out, and I'm not really sure what to do with the whole plot angle of "the bad guys will always win because good is dumb" that Poe is the embodiment of.
It was okay. Not offensive in the way the prequels often were, but certainly not as tightly wound and strong as the original installments or even RO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

All that is just because she's alpha. Rey is a total narcissist.

She doesn't want to be an alpha and is more selfish than driver until he wants to elope.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
His bold, desperate offer of marriage just betrays his weakness, remember that Kylo is the emotionally turbulent and indecisive one, not Rey. He has to pour cold water on his face and slap his face every time he has to do something tough. Rey just knows she's destined for greater (and the revelation that this isn't a genetic destiny upset her emotionally, but didn't deter her a bit) and the idea that she needs him to do it is ridiculous. Like Luke says, "this is not going to go how you think it will."

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I saw it again, and liked it even more this time. Driver and Ridley are both fantastic, the whole encounter with Snoke and the fight afterwards are wonderful.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Rey just knows she's destined for greater

This isn't true and the character flaw the movie focuses on. She still wears her child hood hair buns so her parents will remember her. She just wants to go home, and her original quest is to get Luke back to the resistance, not for her to do anything other than maybe train in the force. When he says he won't go, she thinks she can turn Kylo to lead the resistance. It's not until after this that she realizes these men are fragile fuckbois and she decides she'll do it herself, which is why she steals the Jedi texts. I'm guessing ix would've been training with leia but now who knows.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Leia teaching Rey her unholy Satan Magicks would've been good - the trick Leia pulls is more frightening than anything any other "force sensitive" type does in any of the movies.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
OMG, Leia is Darth Plageus!

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

bushisms.txt posted:

This isn't true and the character flaw the movie focuses on. She still wears her child hood hair buns so her parents will remember her. She just wants to go home, and her original quest is to get Luke back to the resistance, not for her to do anything other than maybe train in the force. When he says he won't go, she thinks she can turn Kylo to lead the resistance. It's not until after this that she realizes these men are fragile fuckbois and she decides she'll do it herself, which is why she steals the Jedi texts. I'm guessing ix would've been training with leia but now who knows.

kylo ren is trying super duper hard to do something with his life while rey kinda just plays a brutish enforcer for leia's personal cartel

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Wild Horses posted:

rey kinda just plays a brutish enforcer for leia's personal cartel

The Galaxy is probably full of people like this, who are barely aware or not at all of their force sensitivity and use those advantages just to kill.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
god i want rey to turn into a dark side badass next movie. yes i know this will not happen. :(

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

an skeleton posted:

god i want rey to turn into a dark side badass next movie. yes i know this will not happen. :(

The whole time they were force facetiming I kept hoping that was what the sith connection of two looked like. I hope in the end, Luke's statement doesn't include her. But then again Vader had to talk using holograms, so whatever.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Rey has nothing really to avenge at the point which makes he somewhat questionable as a dark side hero. Imho.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
rey is sadly a cardboard cutout so they can't do anything with her character.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Corky Romanovsky posted:

OMG, Leia is Darth Plageus!

You can't spell PLAGUEIS without LEIA

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

an skeleton posted:

There's effectively no difference between a "dark side" Rey and the Rey we have right now.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!

homullus posted:

You can't spell PLAGUEIS without LEIA

Oh poo poo.

What if the whole OT was a long con by Palpatine's sensei?!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

General Dog posted:

There's effectively no difference between a "dark side" Rey and the Rey we have right now.

Rey is "beyond good and evil", as it were.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Driver is the best part about these films.

drat straight. His performance just grabbed me and made me give a gently caress when I thought I had none left.

Say, Is reincarnation a thing in Star Wars?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ema Nymton fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jan 17, 2018

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011

General Dog posted:

A "Dark side Rey" would have sucker-lightsabered Kylo in the throne room and proclaimed herself Empress of the First Order, no?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

ecureuilmatrix posted:

A "Dark side Rey" would have sucker-lightsabered Kylo in the throne room and proclaimed herself Empress of the First Order, no?

The Dark Side doesn't automatically make you a facist totalitarian. It's not a political ideology.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

ecureuilmatrix posted:

Rey didn't want to be Empress of the First Order, just like Anakin didn't want to be Emperor--he wanted Padme to be Emperor

And Rey certainly didn't want to kill Kylo

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!

Waffles Inc. posted:

Rey didn't want to be Empress of the First Order, just like Anakin didn't want to be Emperor--he wanted Padme to be Emperor

And Rey certainly didn't want to kill Kylo

Anakin ended up killing the person he wanted to stop from dying, though. It's basically the Dark Side's Thing.

I mean, even Sidious couldn't stop himself from dying.*

*In the story, I'm sure he came back to life in the EU or something.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Hodgepodge posted:

Anakin ended up killing the person he wanted to stop from dying, though. It's basically the Dark Side's Thing.

Padme killed herself tho

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

Hodgepodge posted:

Sidiouus

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!
I actually meant to write Plagueis, but it still works.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Ema Nymton posted:

drat straight. His performance just grabbed me and made me give a gently caress when I thought I had none left.

Say, Is reincarnation a thing in Star Wars?

It's like poetry, it rhymes.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Rey looks so fuckin high.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

Hodgepodge posted:

Yep, that's Transfer Essence. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Transfer_essence It's basically possession. Sometimes possessing a cloned body, or possessing another person. At some point, Palpatine even tries to possess one of Leia and Han's babies, but is stopped. I really don't expect that to be used in the next film... but it's not impossible.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Expectation: subverted expectations

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

General Dog posted:

The Dark Side doesn't automatically make you a facist totalitarian. It's not a political ideology.

You here anti-semites say the same thing. And yet, the two seem so strongly correlated that it makes one wonder....

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

CountFosco posted:

You here anti-semites say the same thing. And yet, the two seem so strongly correlated that it makes one wonder....

This is insanely stupid in multiple ways.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

CountFosco posted:

lmfao

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Israel is an apartheid state, OP

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Just saw it for the first time

Quick thoughts:

-The "Leia gets blown up but OH WAIT SHE'S SOMEHOW FLOATING BACK TO THE SHIP" moment was dumb

-CGI on the bird things was bad

-Hamill's performance improved as the movie progressed - started out as "effeminate grumpy old guy" but ended strong

-Why the gently caress do black characters always end up with Asian characters in movies? It's annoying. It's like Rey and Finn's connection from Force Awakens never happened.

Overall I enjoyed it.

Sinding Johansson
Dec 1, 2006
STARVED FOR ATTENTION

EugeneJ posted:

-Why the gently caress do black characters always end up with Asian characters in movies? It's annoying. It's like Rey and Finn's connection from Force Awakens never happened.

It's because for all it's self-aggrandizing, Hollywood is still unbelievably racist and sexist.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It what way was Luke effeminate.

Sinding Johansson
Dec 1, 2006
STARVED FOR ATTENTION
Grown man drinking milk? I dunno, no one should drink milk. As delicious as it is, it's really unhealthy.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

EugeneJ posted:

Finn wanting to make sure Rey is alright kicks off his entire plotline. Also I'm not sure if we're supposed to view Finn and Rose as an item. Rose kisses him, but it strikes me more as her getting caught up in the moment. Finn certainly doesn't seem romantically interested in her. Honestly Finn doesn't really come across as a sexual being at all in these movies; emotionally he's kind of like a big ten year old.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

euphronius posted:

It what way was Luke effeminate.

Gonna need some proof he wasn't or this cut's getting even shorter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Finn's pretty much the SW equivalent of Cloud from Final Fantasy. Storm Trooper-reject changes sides and becomes a skilled hero for the resistance. Also juggles two potential love interests, one being the magical last of her kind and the other being a humble girl next door working in the resistance. Finally his adventure leads to overcoming his greatest adversary in hand to hand combat with an assist from his friends.

• Locked thread