Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

jokes posted:

Dark elfs are the best magic users. High elfs pretend they are but they're poo poo. Apotheosis or whatever the healing spell is poo poo and the phoenix spell, while flashy, is also bad.

Apotheosis actually owns. The heal is just okay, but it's cheap, quick-casting, and most importantly causes the unit to inflict Fear over its (short) duration, so if you drop it on a unit engaged with something that's not doing so hot on morale, they'll break immediately. Alternatively - and this is really admittedly tricky to do without pausing - time it so Apotheosis lands right as you're getting a good charge off, so the morale crash combines with the Fear to immediately break a unit that would otherwise keep fighting after receiving the charge.

Plus, Apotheosis has good range, and on overcast it has ridiculous range, so you can spot-heal a unit from basically across the map. Helpful if you're going to dive a flyer on that obnoxious artillery piece at the back of a castle, but don't want to lose the unit to whatever they've got guarding the artillery, for example.

Edit: Fear, not Terror.

Kestral fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jan 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Nephthys posted:

There are a bunch of upkeep mods on Steam workshop. I'm using this one atm that caps the upkeep at 10% for Very Hard. Down from 15%. But there are others if you just search for upkeep in the workshop.

Thanks, I was having trouble finding one that doesn't simply eliminate upkeep penalties.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Main problems with high magic are Arcane Unforging and Fiery Convocation. Apotheosis and Hand of Glory are great for their cost and are easy ways to trigger the amazing trait. Tempest is also incredible at destroying flyers. Overcasted Convocation actually does the damage it should, the base having no ap, but it costs pretty much all your winds and is decently easy to dodge. Arcane Unforging is just bad for it's wind cost.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Eimi posted:

Main problems with high magic are Arcane Unforging and Fiery Convocation. Apotheosis and Hand of Glory are great for their cost and are easy ways to trigger the amazing trait. Tempest is also incredible at destroying flyers. Overcasted Convocation actually does the damage it should, the base having no ap, but it costs pretty much all your winds and is decently easy to dodge. Arcane Unforging is just bad for it's wind cost.

Soul Quench also sucks, to the point where you forgot to mention it.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Observation 1: Cataph's Southern Realms mod is very very good

Observation 2: The war has not not developed entirely to Estalia's advantage

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Does it make each city down there higher level? I always thought was weird to have such low density down there.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Nah, it just gives Tilea, Estalia, and Border Princes new units and LLs. It's all very well done, and it's fun to go full pike and shot.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
It also gives the Southern Realms a new building tree, and their docks get boosted significantly.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
I really don't care that much about Ogres(Each to their own), but i stumbled upon the Gnoblar wiki page and i really hope CA give them a LL of their own, holy poo poo these guys are great!

http://warhammerfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Gnoblar

quote:

Pig-Jousting - One of the most bizarre and chaotic games, pig jousting is a common and confusing sight in most camps. Groups of scrcaming Gnoblars charge around on squealing pigs. tussling with each other as they pass. and often continuing to run around screaming aftcr thcy are unseated. However, among the more organised Gnoblar tribes a more advanced version has emerged, which Ogres sometimes watch. In this variation (which undoubtedly gave pig jousting its name), two Gnoblars face each other across a cleared pit, sat atop their pigs, dressed in a much protection as they can muster and armed with long pointy sticks. When the order to charge is given they both charge forward and try and unseat their opponents. These imitations of human knights rapidly descend into chaos as the pigs run about wildly, the Gnoblars lose their poles. impatient 'knights' charge in to join battle early and angry Ogres start throwing anything that comcs to hand at the useless competitors.

quote:

The biggest, meanest Gnoblars are not always those with the largest ears and noses, but however large and tough a Gnoblar is he will always feel inadequate and lacking in authority if his ears aren't particularly big. Some even go mad with paranoia thinking everyone is snickering about their small ears behind their back

Edit:
Gnoblar Pigback Riders
:allears:

Noir89 fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jan 17, 2018

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Are ogres the last race that aren't in?

quote:

The most important step in Gnoblar evolution was the realisation that the Ogres dwelling in the Mountains of Mourn found them of more use as slaves than sustenance. Before long, a mass exodus of Gnoblars leaving their homelands in the foothills saw the Ogre Kingdoms infested, with shanty towns springing up in every available nook and cranny. Since that day, the Gnoblars have performed the menial tasks demanded of them by their Ogre masters, and in return, the Ogres ensure that only a comparatively small percentage of Gnoblars meet a grisly and unfortunate death.

:3:

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jan 17, 2018

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Arglebargle III posted:

:3:

Yeah, the last major at least.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Arglebargle III posted:

Of the ones that had official army books? We're also missing Daemons of Chaos.

A few others have had enough supplementary work to have Warmaster army lists or enough fluff to have stuff. Chaos Dwarfs and Araby are at the top of that list. Amazons, Halflings and a few other human nations are sort of big question marks too.

Remember they basically built Norsca out of wholecloth, it had very little material.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Chaos Dwarfs have an official WHFB ruleset and army roster

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

turn off the TV posted:

Chaos Dwarfs have an official WHFB ruleset and army roster

Indeed, the big question mark around them though was the fact that it wasn't an armybook but supplementary rules from Forgeworld

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah, far as I can tell Chorfs had a single army book. In 92. They had some continuing rules in later releases though.

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

Playing Teclis in ME reminded me why I dislike how port settlements work, especially minor settlements. If the building is required, why not tie it into the main settlement chain?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

AnEdgelord posted:

Indeed, the big question mark around them though was the fact that it wasn't an armybook but supplementary rules from Forgeworld

I'm not sure if their stuff is necessarily supplementary, because during 6th edition of 40k Forge World's releases were the only rules for the Imperial Guard's armored units. Some of the stuff from the Forge World release that contained the Chaos Dwarfs has already shown up in the Norsca update, like the mammoths.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

In my ME game the Dwarfs control everything east of Skavenblight and south of Wissenland.

Oh and Bretonnia that too.

You guys have any recommendations for greenskin mods?

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jan 17, 2018

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
88 turns into my DE Mortal Empires campaign, my level 38 lord, his two assassins(there to buff up his loyalty) and full stack of elite troops went rogue while pillaging Varg lands. It kinda seems like it comes down to pure bad luck when folks rebel, as I'd been doing everything possible to keep his loyalty up. He had great loot, a huge army, was regularly winning battles, and yet every other turn he'd keep dropping down in loyalty. I'd load and rerun the last turn but it actually seems like an interesting fight in the future.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

turn off the TV posted:

I'm not sure if their stuff is necessarily supplementary, because during 6th edition of 40k Forge World's releases were the only rules for the Imperial Guard's armored units. Some of the stuff from the Forge World release that contained the Chaos Dwarfs has already shown up in the Norsca update, like the mammoths.

If I remember correctly there is a disclaimer before their rules that basically says "you can use these on their own but realistically they were designed as something you can add to Warriors of Chaos".

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Eschatos posted:

88 turns into my DE Mortal Empires campaign, my level 38 lord, his two assassins(there to buff up his loyalty) and full stack of elite troops went rogue while pillaging Varg lands. It kinda seems like it comes down to pure bad luck when folks rebel, as I'd been doing everything possible to keep his loyalty up. He had great loot, a huge army, was regularly winning battles, and yet every other turn he'd keep dropping down in loyalty. I'd load and rerun the last turn but it actually seems like an interesting fight in the future.

You sure that your main Lord is at a higher level? If lesser lords outlevel your main one their loyalty goes to poo poo.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Eschatos posted:

Weird, I usually pick minus loyalty event options because it's fun being a dark lord but I've never had any problems with rebellion.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
If Ogres are the last race left to add what are we going to get in TWW3? Nagash and the proper End Times? Not that I wouldn't pay $60 for Nagash and the Incarnates so you could have them win and prevent the creation of Sigmarines.

Edit: Cathay and Nippon would be nice, obviously, but do they even have army lists? I'm hoping TW Three Kingdoms is just an elaborate hoax for them.

Edit 2: TWW3 would also need Chaos Dwarfs just so Grimgor could sack their whole kingdom and free the slaves.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jan 18, 2018

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

If the just improve the ME campaign and polish the hell out of the gameplay systems it would be worth it as a Total War Warhammer ULTIMATE EDITION sort of thing.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Shumagorath posted:

If Ogres are the last race left to add what are we going to get in TWW3? Nagash and the proper End Times? Not that I wouldn't pay $60 for Nagash and the Incarnates so you could have them win and prevent the creation of Sigmarines.

Edit: Cathay and Nippon would be nice, obviously, but do they even have army lists? I'm hoping TW Three Kingdoms is just an elaborate hoax for them.

Edit 2: TWW3 would also need Chaos Dwarfs just so Grimgor could sack their whole kingdom and free the slaves.

Probably Chaos Demons, Ogres, Chaos Dwarfs and Kislev, or something to that effect.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Arglebargle III posted:

If the just improve the ME campaign and polish the hell out of the gameplay systems it would be worth it as a Total War Warhammer ULTIMATE EDITION sort of thing.

I'm hoping that the last game includes the old world and vortex maps with all the QOL changes. I'd really like to play the old world map again, but it's not the same in TWW1 and just doesn't feel as good to play.

Just on ME, has anyone noticed turn times are way faster now? I used to almost be able to make a cup of tea in the time the AI took, but the early turns seem to blitz through the other factions and are done really quickly now. I'm running the beta update.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I downloaded the better weather mod and got a pretty significant FPS boost. Maybe 5 or more. I can't say I miss the glowering orange lighting that shows up seemingly at random in battles either.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

Laughing Zealot posted:

You sure that your main Lord is at a higher level? If lesser lords outlevel your main one their loyalty goes to poo poo.

Oh, I had no idea that was a thing. Yeah Malekith's only level 31 right now. So I guess his passive to give XP to other lords is actually a penalty?

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
i'm half expecting them to just go nuts and add cathay to TWW3

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Eschatos posted:

Oh, I had no idea that was a thing. Yeah Malekith's only level 31 right now. So I guess his passive to give XP to other lords is actually a penalty?
Only if you don't go out and use Malekith to kick poo poo in. It means you can't have him park at home, at least. Its a really nice bonus to have because it meant that I rapidly got my secondary and tertiary lords up to appropriate ranks.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

JBP posted:

I'm hoping that the last game includes the old world and vortex maps with all the QOL changes. I'd really like to play the old world map again, but it's not the same in TWW1 and just doesn't feel as good to play.

Just on ME, has anyone noticed turn times are way faster now? I used to almost be able to make a cup of tea in the time the AI took, but the early turns seem to blitz through the other factions and are done really quickly now. I'm running the beta update.

Wait, beta? I don't have the option, just the roll back to the 1.0 release.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I'm not sure how they would actually fit Kislev into a campaign map focused on the Dark Lands/Chaos Wastes. It wouldn't really geographically fit.

e: That said, they totally should do it because

quote:

Generals, heroes and shamans can ride a Bear
mount.

:yeah:

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jan 18, 2018

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

President Ark posted:

I want them to just add the rotk map to the left of the badlands

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Kanos posted:

Soul Quench also sucks, to the point where you forgot to mention it.

I don't think I've ever seen a magic missile where I'm like this is an awesome use of winds. Doombolt comes the closest but it's overshadowed by all the other spells in Dark as is.

Also related to the high elves, has anyone made a mod that would make sure the militia units at least are mixed gender? Just for fluff accuracy? Though I keep wanting to wait on Alarielle LL dlc.

Also Kislev is best faction because everything is about bears and bears are the superior beast.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

A single doom bolt will rout all but the biggest flyers by taking off more than half their hp in a single shoot.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

Ravenfood posted:

Only if you don't go out and use Malekith to kick poo poo in. It means you can't have him park at home, at least. Its a really nice bonus to have because it meant that I rapidly got my secondary and tertiary lords up to appropriate ranks.

He's been getting in plenty of fights, right now he's taking on the other big Norscan faction.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

ZearothK posted:

Wait, beta? I don't have the option, just the roll back to the 1.0 release.

PT update? I can't remember how I got it but it's the one that runs ME with stuff like heroes having immortal available at level 20 and stuff.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

President Ark posted:

They're working on the models and textures already!

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Ogres and Chaos Daemons are the last two major factions from the Table Top to come.

Amazons would be a neat Norsca sub faction for Lustria.

Lings aren't really anything outside of jokes and bloodbowl.

Chorfs would be cool as gently caress as the siege engine everything faction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Halflings are a unit built at a unique structure at the moot. They don't really want anything else.