Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

namaste friends posted:

This is an anecdote for all the animal lovers and equity builders.

A family I know just sold their home which they couldn't afford, for a tidy profit. Rather than sit out the market they immediately bought a smaller place. This is problematic because they have an aging dog and two young kids. Well, what do you do when you run out of room? You euthanize the dog.

These people literally put their loving dog to sleep so that they could have more room in their loving 800sq ft luxury skyhome and they couldn't rent presumably because pride of ownership.

Namaste Namaste :golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

800 sqft isn’t enough room for two adults, let alone two children on top of that. Are they going to euthanize a kid next?

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
It's better than growing up with those two for parents

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Femtosecond posted:

800 sqft isn’t enough room for two adults, let alone two children on top of that. Are they going to euthanize a kid next?

800 sq ft is fine for two non hoarder adults and two young kids.

That’s really hosed up though.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Please send me their details so I can euthanize them.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Femtosecond posted:

Just surrender them to CFS and live the DINK lifestyle

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

HookShot posted:

Please send me their details so I can euthanize them.

I think it’s Wojtek. I’m pretty sure it’s Wojtek.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Oh, and the woman who lives in my building in a 500sqft apt with a bernese mountain dog is pregnant with a kid.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
seriously though, gently caress all ~*pEt LoVeRs*~

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

namaste friends posted:

seriously though, gently caress all ~*pEt LoVeRs*~

this is oppression CI. Those are “disability support animals”

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
how triggered r u

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
I hope you sold your lovely reits and bought weed CI

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
motherfucker as me what i'm holding right now

i have no loving clue but i'm up like 16% for 2017

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

namaste friends posted:

how triggered r u

I laughed way too fuckin hard. You’re the first guy who actually asked the question. I’m one triggered.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Femtosecond posted:

Square footage isn't a measure of volume. If they had high enough ceilings the parents can put the kids up on their shoulders.

Just watch out for those hanging light fixtures.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
We looked at a condo where the hallway linen closet was being used as the baby’s room. Crib fit perfectly under the bottom shelf.

Also bitcoin crashing and Chinese real estate market going cold, sounds like a good catalyst for a BC real estate chill. Vancouver loves bitcoin based on the regional search data that I once saw linked.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

namaste friends posted:

how triggered r u

they have support dogs for that

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
That bitcoin atm under the stairs to buy low at Kingsgate mall seems to be always unplugged

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
That is a real life metaphor for getting your crypto money out

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
https://twitter.com/canmortins/status/953789567668277248

bros, I think it's happening

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
https://twitter.com/ratespy/status/953662319732625408

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Call me when prime hits 5%, IDGAF until we see bankruptcy foreclosures on presale condos.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Rates going up will cause new mortgages to drop off but bankruptcies and foreclosures are rare in Canada, nevermind it would take 3-5yrs until term renewals for the new rates to kick in.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
If this is it then all it took to get here was rates going up and the stop borrowing so much loving money rule

I want to believe but there have been so many false starts to the downturn.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

cowofwar posted:

Rates going up will cause new mortgages to drop off but bankruptcies and foreclosures are rare in Canada, nevermind it would take 3-5yrs until term renewals for the new rates to kick in.

Aren't there mortgages 3-5 years old coming up for renewal basically at all times? If you don't qualify under the new rate you have an immediate problem. Especially if prices have gone down and you have a balloon payment to keep minimum LTV percentages.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Aren't there mortgages 3-5 years old coming up for renewal basically at all times? If you don't qualify under the new rate you have an immediate problem. Especially if prices have gone down and you have a balloon payment to keep minimum LTV percentages.

Sorry, I wasn’t aware that any meaningful change had been made to prevent people from lying on their mortgage applications.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Something crazy like 40% of cmhc's book is up for renewal this year

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
https://twitter.com/stephenpunwasi/status/953786522628755456

lol

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.macleans.ca/economy/realestateeconomy/mortgage-rates/everyones-mortgage-is-about-to-get-more-expensive/

quote:

The Bank of Canada raised its benchmark interest rate to 1.25 per cent Wednesday and signalled that, barring certain risks, more hikes are likely in the rest of the year. That’s creating an unusual situation for Canadians: for the first time in years, those renewing mortgages will be faced with higher rates and an increase in payments.

Even before Wednesday’s decision, five of the country’s largest banks hiked five-year fixed rates 15 basis points to 5.14 per cent last week. (CIBC is still offering 4.99 per cent.) In a country where consumers have grown accustomed to low rates, and where households are burdened with record levels of debt relative to income, this kind of change is worth noting. A recent survey published by insolvency trustee MNP Ltd. found 48 per cent of Canadian respondents were $200 or less away from being unable to fulfill their monthly financial obligations, an eight point increase since September.

The below chart shows the conventional fixed five-year mortgage rate, which is an average of the Big Six banks’ posted rates, published by the Bank of Canada over the past decade. (Borrowers typically end up paying a lower rate than is indicated here, owing to discounts and special offers, but it serves as a useful gauge.) The trend for years has been falling rates—until the end of 2017, at least.

That trend extends back farther than 2008. Ben Rabidoux, president of North Cove Advisors, calculated that since the 1990s, consumers have seen an average drop of $91 per month on a five-year fixed rate mortgage for every $100,000 borrowed at the end of their first term. “With the recent rise in rates, we’re now at the point where the average consumer is seeing monthly payments rise at their first renewal, something we haven’t seen on a sustained basis since the early 90s,” Rabidoux wrote in Maclean’s last month.

The question for those facing renewal is how much more can they expect to pay? And more importantly, will they be able to manage?

In July, the Bank of Canada estimated that 47 per cent of residential mortgages with the Big Six banks will be up for renewal in less than a year, with another 31 per cent due in the next one to three years. On a mortgage of $225,000 and a gross income of $90,000, a one percentage point increase would increase monthly payments by $115, equivalent to 1.5 per cent of income. The central bank pointed out that highly indebted borrowers are more vulnerable. A household with a $360,000 mortgage and a gross income of $63,000, for example, would have to pay an extra $180 monthly, around 3.5 per cent of income.

Will Dunning, chief economist for Mortgage Professionals Canada, is not anticipating a steep increase in mortgage rates for those renewing this year, however. “Most renewals will be at similar or slightly higher rates than in 2013,” Dunning says. About 70 per cent of mortgages in Canada are fixed rate, with the majority of those loans set for five-year terms. In 2013, the average rate was 3.23 per cent. Current special offer rates are between 3.4 and 3.6 per cent, which is not a huge difference.

If the Bank of Canada ultimately raises its benchmark rate by 50 basis points from the start of the year, that could increase borrowers’ monthly payments by approximately 5 per cent, according to Rob McLister, founder of comparison site RateSpy.com. On a $200,000 mortgage balance, that works out to more than $50 per month. “That’s far from devastating, unless you’re in the minority having a significantly above average debt-to-income ratio,” McLister says.

Mortgages aren’t the only debt Canadians are saddled with, however, and the rates on credit cards, car loans, and home equity lines of credit could tick up as well, further increasing a household’s overall carrying costs. Many economists are also anticipating another one or two rate hikes in 2018. “The bigger impact will be next year, rather than this year,” says Beata Caranci, chief economist at TD. For Canadians renewing a five-year mortgage, the difference between rates in 2014 and 2019 will likely be greater than the 2013-2018 timeframe, especially if the central bank continues tightening. The good news is that any payment shock should be mitigated by rising incomes and increases in home equity, according to Caranci. “The more principle you’ve already paid down in the last five years, the more room you have to negotiate,” she says. “So it should be manageable.”

Of course, it’s not guaranteed the Bank of Canada will be able to hike a few more times. “What happens in 2019 or 2020 could unravel all the tightening being done,” McLister says. The biggest unknown is how NAFTA negotiations will play out. In its policy statement, the central bank noted that “uncertainty about the future of NAFTA is weighing increasingly on the outlook.” But the Bank of Canada has also indicated it’s not basing monetary policy purely on unknowns. Governor Stephen Poloz gave a speech in December about the three things that keep him up at night; NAFTA was not on the list. Instead, the Bank of Canada is focused on what’s actually happening in the economy, and many signs to point to higher rates over time.

“Households have been warned about rate risks for years. Delaying them further will only fan further excess as the warnings get ignored for longer,” wrote Derek Holt, head of capital markets economics, in a note on Wednesday. “That’s how we got into this mess by robbing savers to hand over to debt addicts. A rate hike is akin to an intervention.” Canadians should budget accordingly.

you can always euthanize a family pet to make ends meet

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
If you guys haven't yet, listen to these two podcasts by Preet Banerjee.

Here's the itunes page: https://itunes.apple.com/ca/podcast/mostly-money-with-preet-banerjee/id523360095?mt=2

Economics 101 with Luke Kawa
http://wheredoesallmymoneygo.com/macroeconomics-101-with-luke-kawa-ljkawa-podcast/

If you don't understand what a central bank does or why interest rates are important, listen to this loving podcast if it's the last thing you do. Luke is awesome. Preet is awesome.

Real Estate with Ben Rabidoux
https://www.buzzsprout.com/5821/613911-62-benrabidoux-returns-to-chat-about-real-estate-and-credit-trends-in-canada

Just loving listen to this.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

namaste friends posted:

Something crazy like 40% of cmhc's book is up for renewal this year

:gizz: :gizz:

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

im so hard rn, gently caress you guys

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

quote:

The good news is that any payment shock should be mitigated by rising incomes
:laffo:

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

With Canada's new assisted dying program you too can save thousands a month by letting your loved one move on to another plane of existence.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

i hear hootsuite is

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
I didn’t copy the link but I recently saw the stat that some significant number of households in Vancouver declare less income than paid on property taxes each year so I guess incomes are irrelevant.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
I'm going to lol pretty hard when weedos* are the only people in Vancouver with cash on hand to buy houses from bankrupted thousandaires on the backside of this mess.

*Now mostly venture capitalists.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/953995897767190528

Good news for Toronto, bad news for Winnipeg

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Toronto's not gonna be it lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Poloz was just saying yesterday or the day before that because of inflation "we're not seeing any real wage increases yet" alongside a rise in productivity.