Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Watch them also strip commuter benefits along with that decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

What exactly is the argument for eliminating teleworking here?

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
DOI is about to screw me out of a $100 relocation reembursement because there is a possibility I am storing more than 18,000lbs of household goods in a 10x10x10 storage unit :negative:

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Not USDA, but my office is trying to get more of us to Telework more often. We’re adding at least 300 more jobs and we just don’t have room for them.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

We get five days per pay period (two weeks), per union contract. I only use about two days per pay period (same day every week).

I should start using more, but one worries about being perceived negatively and thus put under the microscope.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I'm down to 1 day a week in the office, as is most of my team. It's really nice.

Mundrial Mantis
Aug 15, 2017

Does anyone have any advice on the application process for national labs? I applied and got a set of followup questions this week for one of them. The position is low-level computer science so the questions are based around that, but my background is in applied math and I am largely self-taught when it comes to comp sci and programming.

Also, what is it like working at any of the national labs these days?

Kase Im Licht
Jan 26, 2001
6 years in the government and I have yet to telework a single day.

Currently, most of my job involves looking at electronic documents, creating documents in word, signing them electronically, and then sending them to someone else. So you can see why we have to be in the office every day.

ktimekiller
Jan 9, 2012
It's been 17 months since I was offered a job.
Do I ever get to actually start working?

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

No one actually works for the government. Any offices with actual staff are just self-funded by people who received Conditional Offers in the late 1970s and decided to pool their money together to rent some space and start doing the work that was listed in the original job posting. Then at 5PM they go home and mine bitcoins to support themselves.

Delorence Fickle
Feb 21, 2011
I wish there was a way to filter out those "1" vacancy positions on usajobs.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

It sounds like the continuing resolution talks are going off the rails...

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

I hope so! I love working and not getting paid for it! :a2m:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Delorence Fickle posted:

I wish there was a way to filter out those "1" vacancy positions on usajobs.
Is this because those positions are typically already earmarked as a promotion for an existing employee?

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
We got a reassuring email this morning from our office director that we will stay on and get paid. We fund ourselves though.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
In my Extremely Expert Opinion I think the chances of a shutdown are at around 75% and certainly the highest they have been since 2013 when we did actually shut down.

Midge the Jet
Sep 15, 2006

We just had the shutdown talk in my office this afternoon. We’re all non essential and have 4 hours on Monday morning to cease operations if it comes to pass.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

lol nobody has told us anything, which basically assures me that we're very much "unessential"

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
My last two interviews were for openings that were open for 2 days and 7 days, respectively.

I wonder if I was interview fodder for someone who was already assigned to those positions internally?

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

We actually talked about the CR this week. Pretty sure it's a high likelihood since all previous CRs nobody even noticed.

Terror Ninja
Oct 23, 2008
Got told my shop is all excepted, so either way I work... pay or not. Does seem like this time it's more serious.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

The shutdown in 2013 happened while I was trying to buy a house. That sucked pretty hard.

This time around I've got pretty substantial savings and a HELOC that can float me for a long time.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
We were just told that we are essential. No furlough for me.

Slig
Mar 30, 2010
We got told we are essential but three people were asked to volunteer for a furlough just in case.

Delorence Fickle
Feb 21, 2011

Josh Lyman posted:

Is this because those positions are typically already earmarked as a promotion for an existing employee?

You know it!

As for the fun times of the shutdown "It wont impact operations for a few weeks since we're fee funded, so be logged on as normal on Monday." -Director.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Delorence Fickle posted:

You know it!

As for the fun times of the shutdown "It wont impact operations for a few weeks since we're fee funded, so be logged on as normal on Monday." -Director.

Same although my travel for next week is going to be cancelled if(when) we have a shut down.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

PneumonicBook posted:

Same although my travel for next week is going to be cancelled if(when) we have a shut down.

Also same. I have travel in two weeks. The basic version of the training course I'm going to is considered essential, so isn't being canceled. But the higher level one I'm off to might be. :(

Tetraptous
Nov 11, 2004

Dynamic instability during transition.
Essentially no one at my agency is excepted. I'm on travel right now; fortunately, I was planning to come back today anyhow so it's not as disruptive as it could've been. We'll see what happens; I don't think it will be as bad as the 2013 shutdown and they may even pass something over the weekend. We do have some very expensive experiments ongoing, though, that will be essentially lost if the shutdown goes on for more than a day or two.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
I'm already seeing tweets from local DC establishments offering free stuff to government employees if they're not working on Monday (eg, local barbecue place offering free pulled pork sandwiches on Monday if you're not working because of the shutdown and show your ID).

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

McCoy Pauley posted:

I'm already seeing tweets from local DC establishments offering free stuff to government employees if they're not working on Monday (eg, local barbecue place offering free pulled pork sandwiches on Monday if you're not working because of the shutdown and show your ID).

That sounds like a violation of ethical rules.

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

sullat posted:

That sounds like a violation of ethical rules.

If it's under $20 in value, it's fine - as a general rule, at least.

Midge the Jet
Sep 15, 2006

Last shutdown Z-Burger was giving out a free burger if you showed your ID.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Vorkosigan posted:

If it's under $20 in value, it's fine - as a general rule, at least.

And no more than a total of $50 a year from the same prohibited source. In this case it was a pulled pork sandwich from Sweet Fire Donna's, so if anyone was planning to eat more than $20 of those in one go, or $50 during the shutdown, maybe mix it up with a salad or fruit or something.

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

Also, not sure how many it'll help, but the Fed doesn't post jobs on USAJobs, we have our own site: https://www.federalreserve.gov/careers-jobs-by-category.htm

Bonus: self-funded agency means no shutdown for us. If you do apply to the IT Division lemme know so I can get that sweet sweet head hunting money.

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
My friend in DC said that their feeling was even if this happened it would be a weekend thing and get resolved before the work week. But now they are much more nervous about it dragging out.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Popero posted:

My friend in DC said that their feeling was even if this happened it would be a weekend thing and get resolved before the work week. But now they are much more nervous about it dragging out.

I don't expect to be working Monday at this point

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

FDA is in the process of offering me a job so... this is not the best timing.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Vorkosigan posted:

Also, not sure how many it'll help, but the Fed doesn't post jobs on USAJobs, we have our own site: https://www.federalreserve.gov/careers-jobs-by-category.htm

Bonus: self-funded agency means no shutdown for us. If you do apply to the IT Division lemme know so I can get that sweet sweet head hunting money.

lol "experience with Lotus Notes" I'll take the shutdown thankyouverymuch

El Mero Mero fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jan 20, 2018

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

El Mero Mero posted:

lol "experience with Lotus Notes" I'll take the shutdown thankyouverymuch

Yeah, we got rid of that years ago. HR behind the times as usual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Do we still have health insurance during the shutdown?