Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Tiggum posted:

The prologue episodes were still a complete waste of time.

ye

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

AndyElusive posted:

I just bought a tee shirt with the Terran Empire emblem on the chest from the official trek apparel store. I think that probably makes me the worst Star Trek goon on the entire forum right? Showing allegiance to a fascist and lovely faction in a parallel universe and all.
I wore a Sinestro Corps shirt once and then someone saw it and made a Big Bang Theory reference and I then wore it less.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
The mirror is universe isn’t Grimdark. It’s Campdark.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I got a Bullet Club shirt last fall and some old dude who looked like he was in his late 70's threw up the "Too Sweet" hand gesture to me at a furniture store not too long afterwards.

I wore it more after that.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Gonz posted:

I got a Bullet Club shirt last fall and some old dude who looked like he was in his late 70's threw up the "Too Sweet" hand gesture to me at a furniture store not too long afterwards.

I wore it more after that.

Sounds like a true Good Brother.

I saw a pair of Disco shirts at an EB of all places earlier today. I actually like this dumb show so I thought about getting one but of course they were several sizes too large.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Tiggum posted:

The prologue episodes were the best Star Trek movie since First Contact.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Star Trek is a lot about his captains.

Sometimes a captain is a clone of older captains, and something is lost in translation, or something cool is added, and if nothing cool is added we end with a bland captain.

Kirk was a internet troll. He was in here to get laid with alien girls and troll the officials. This has been lost in translation in the next captains, we have not seen another troll captain again.

Picard was a geek, he was in this to see cool tech stuff. He lived for the "whoa, this is loving awesome dude!" moments. Then he lived a entire life in a dying planet a single day, and that turned him somewhat in a hippy with a flute that still had to show to do his day job, but probably had hobbies. Picard had a life beyond captain.

Benjamin Sisko, Kathryn Janeway and others where just average non-notable people put in a important position, and they where aware of his importance, and then they where trying to fit into the role without much role to be anything else except perhaps father.

Lorca is like a goddamn nazi working for the USA army. The ends justify whatever wanton destruction on large scale seems to be required.

Irresponsible Captain Tyler, he is trying to make sense of it all and have fun doing it by playing everyone game but subverting it, and also having the luck of the diablo.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Putting Sisko and Janeway on the same level is shameful.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Tei posted:

Star Trek is a lot about his captains.

Wow your summaries of the individual captains are way off the mark.

Kirk is, in many ways, a sheriff of a Wild West town (or maybe an old-timey US Marshal with the autonomy and good sense to do what is right). He occasionally shoots from the hip, but he believes in the cause he works for. He's top dog, but he enjoys it and doesn't (usually) abuse that power. While he is a womanizer, his reputation for boning every alien chick in sight is a bit exaggerated. Unlike an internet troll, he doesn't thumb his nose at authority just for the lulz... when he does it, it's for a clear and specific reason, and he is almost always proven later to have been correct.

Picard is a bit of a geek, but he's way more Horatio Hornblower than anything (at least at the start). His life is dedicated to his work, and that dedication is grounded in his strong personal interest in diplomacy, exploration, and archaeology. He starts off reserved and cold, and gradually his crew becomes his family. Hippy with a flute who still had to show to do his day job? No.

Sisko is the anti-Picard. Where Picard might be construed as something of an idealist egghead, Sisko is much more pragmatic -- a result of his experience as an engineer and of fighting the Borg. He can be stern but fair in a way that is similar to Picard, though he maintains a bit more distance. That Cardassian office that he occupies, elevated above Ops so that everyone has to look up slightly to address him, fits him well.

Janeway is an explorer whose mission should never have taken her outside of Federation space. As a result of lovely writing she's one of the hardest to summarize, and that same lovely writing would almost depict her as being bipolar. She also seems like the kind of person you wouldn't really enjoy being around for long periods of time -- her humor can be too dry, and she can often be dismissive.

Archer is McCaptain. He's your garden-variety middle-aged white American centrist male. Affable and fairly casual, he doesn't really offend anyone (except Vulcans).

Drone fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jan 18, 2018

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
A reviewer once said - Kirk solves problems by punching someone. Picard solves problems by making a speech. Sisko solves problems by making a speech then punching someone.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Janeway was made an Admiral so she could be taken out of the problem solving loop.

Archer got super old and then Scotty murdered his dog.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I'm going to say that I absolutely love Voq's voice when he's speaking Klingon. It's hilarious. I know it's not meant to be but I really like how it sounds. So I liked that.

It was still a silly episode though. I know it's sort of what the mirror universe is all about but how did the Discovery beam Voq on board? And as others have said why didn't Sarek mind meld with Shazad when he was lying on the floor? It just felt off.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Tiggum posted:

You're wrong.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Correct. They were mostly a waste of time.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
I like the new series, it may not be exactly what Trekkies (TM) want it to be, but I like it for what it is.

That being said I don't like the "mirror universe" thing. I know they coined the term but it makes no sense.
Alternate universes however are all great and I love shows that explore that, but a "mirror universe" that implies that everything that was good becomes bad and the other way around is just silly.

Regarding ST:D, I wish it was a little less centered around Michael, and more crew focused. At this moment we have one main character (Michael). A small sidekick crew (Lorca, Stamets, Saru, Tyler, Tilly) and then some companions we barely know the name of (Detmer, doctor).

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yeah the opening two episodes were great. Some of the best done action in Trek, genuinely tense and thrilling, and introduced almost all the important characters.

Definitely not a waste of time.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Evernoob posted:

I like the new series, it may not be exactly what Trekkies (TM) want it to be, but I like it for what it is.

I am not trekkie, so I don't know, but this I can tell you:

The average Star Trek episode introduce a idea and play with that idea. Maybe they find a race that the translator can't understand and communicate with analogies. And the heroes must figure out how to deal with that. And at the same time, but not less important, DATA is tryiing to understand his cat, or some officials have a romance.

The Discovery is somewhat a "generational ship". You are going to find a women you like in the ship, marry her, and having childrens ... all while the ship float around space exploring. The charm come from the fact you get very familiar with a few faces, and know then very well, and then you face also truly alien ideas or alien races.

Star Trek Discovery don't follow this formula, but is very fun. I am looking forward for the next episode.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

marktheando posted:

Yeah the opening two episodes were great. Some of the best done action in Trek, genuinely tense and thrilling, and introduced almost all the important characters.

Definitely not a waste of time.

It would have been better if we'd had a glacially paced non-story serving as a stinking mire in which to place awkward introductions and stilted expository biographies, that would be largely retconned later in the season. Preferably with some sort of time or reality shifting gimmick as well. And set on a farm.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

It would have been better if we'd had a glacially paced non-story serving as a stinking mire in which to place awkward introductions and stilted expository biographies, that would be largely retconned later in the season. Preferably with some sort of time or reality shifting gimmick as well. And set on a farm.

I honestly can't tell if you're talking about VOY or ENT lmao

DentArthurDent
Aug 3, 2010

Diddums
Something I just realized, which may have already been pointed out: The entire reason for the Klingon re-design seems to be so they can pull off the "Ash is actually Voq!" surprise reveal. As they are both played by the same actor, there is no way they could get away with just sticking a few bumps on Shazad Latif's head and not have everyone know right away they were the same person. So they gave Klingons full-head prosthetics as a way to disguise his identity, and give the show its shocking twist.

Which is unfortunate, since everyone guessed that Ash was really Voq by his very first appearance, and the reveal was not a surprise at all. They are now stuck with that design decision.

(Having said all that, I am kind of getting used to the new look for the Klingons.)

Like all the "shocking twists" on the show, they are telegraphed from miles away. Like Georgiou being the emperor, or Lorca being from the mirror universe (the only real twist there would be that if it wasn't true).

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

DentArthurDent posted:

Something I just realized, which may have already been pointed out: The entire reason for the Klingon re-design seems to be so they can pull off the "Ash is actually Voq!" surprise reveal.

I made the same surmise a few pages back and it's plausibility disgusts me.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I do wonder if the Mirror Lorca theory is something they’ll bring up in retrospectives after the series is over and the producers will be all ‘Man, I wish we had thought of that!’

I also think the Emperor knows that’s not ‘her’ Burnham. It’s a bit convenient that the Mirror Burnham is already supposedly dead.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Maybe she knows because she’s got Burnham working for her in deep cover already or something. Though it would be kind of silly to partner this with Lorca being mirror man.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

DentArthurDent posted:

Which is unfortunate, since everyone guessed that Ash was really Voq by his very first appearance, and the reveal was not a surprise at all. They are now stuck with that design decision.

It would be super funny though, if they changed minds over the 1-year hiatus and simply went back to TNG-esque Klingons for the next season, with no word of explanation.

DentArthurDent
Aug 3, 2010

Diddums

The_Doctor posted:

I do wonder if the Mirror Lorca theory is something they’ll bring up in retrospectives after the series is over and the producers will be all ‘Man, I wish we had thought of that!’

One possibility is that, during the course of filming the season, they realized they liked Jason Isaccs so much that they decided to find a way to keep him on the show, rather than turn him into a mirror-universe villain (assuming that's what they had originally planned). Of course, there's lots of ways they could do this, like introduce the "real" Captain Lorca towards the end of the season, or by just dropping any suggestion that he was meant to be from the mirror universe at all.

For the record, I like Jason Isaccs a lot, and I also like Captain Lorca...as an antagonist, and not as an reasonable Starfleet Captain. He certainly fits well as one of those rogue Captains we occasionally see, driven over the edge by revenge or whatever. Not sure if I want that version of Lorca to be this show's permanent Captain, going forward. I would not be surprised if they try and find a way to make Burnham into the Captain, before too long.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Actually, they should promote him to maintain the time-honored tradition of evil starfleet admirals.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
"I still don't give a drat"

- a genuinely entertaining starfleet captain

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Evernoob posted:

That being said I don't like the "mirror universe" thing. I know they coined the term but it makes no sense.
Alternate universes however are all great and I love shows that explore that, but a "mirror universe" that implies that everything that was good becomes bad and the other way around is just silly.

Eh, it's not that simple - though some of the goofier DS9 episodes did start moving it in that direction. More it's an alternate universe where the difference is humans are conquerors instead of explorers, with all the other differences extending from that. Sarek seems to be basically the same; from what we've seen, Saru is still Saru, just Saru if he was a beaten down slave. The Klingons are still a warrior empire, just one that couldn't stand alone against a stronger empire, and the minor Federation races are again basically the same, except they're allied against the humans instead of with them.

Presumably in parts of the galaxy beyond the human sphere of influence, the two universes are essentially indistinguishable.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Angry Salami posted:

Presumably in parts of the galaxy beyond the human sphere of influence, the two universes are essentially indistinguishable.

Vulcan beards are just sort of a butterfly effect?

Burginator
Sep 10, 2007

Two ALL BEEF patties,
Special Sauce?
Let Us Cheese.

The Bloop posted:

"I still don't give a drat"

- a genuinely entertaining starfleet captain

Yup. Lorca has served as a fantastic villainous presence aboard the ship, and I legitimately love the character.

I've been surprised by how much I've enjoyed this show, despite its numerous and sizable issues.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

The Mirror universe clearly has no free will considering it has all the same people in it, despite wildly different historical events occurring.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

The_Doctor posted:

The Mirror universe clearly has no free will considering it has all the same people in it, despite wildly different historical events occurring.

-Mirror universe "The_Doctor" as well

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

Not necessarily. There can be infinite alternate universes, but you can only reach these in a state similar to yours with minor differences. Or maybe destiny is a physical force that bias statistical events to make universes converge to similar states. Or maybe there can be infinite universes, but only two meta-stable universe, that happens to be mirrored universes with similarities and differences, so the non-meta-stable just implode before they grown too large. Maybe on the meta-ultra-nano and pico scale there are events that are constants and variables, so you have true free will for variables, but for constants you have no free will.
Consider universes like a 5D object, they need to meet a end state and obligatory start from a well defined state, so some things are required to meet the ending, but things in the centers are free (if they have no lasting consequences), sorta like standalone episodes in a TV serie.

Tei fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jan 18, 2018

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

The Bloop posted:

Vulcan beards are just sort of a butterfly effect?

Presumably. Maybe in our universe, Amanda convinced Sarek to shave.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Echo Chamber posted:

I wore a Sinestro Corps shirt once and then someone saw it and made a Big Bang Theory reference and I then wore it less.

I was wearing a green lantern shirt and and old lady walked by me and said "oh look Sheldon!". I have not worn it in public sense.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
The Mirror Universe is actually The Darkest Timeline from Community, if you think about it. A simple mirroring of good/bad, etc, doesn't really make sense, it's true.

...I miss the Klingon's cool hair. The new makeup is fine.

\/\/\/ I'm not talking about the Community reference, I'm talking about how the Mirror Universe can be so close to the real one.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jan 18, 2018

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

The Mirror Universe is actually The Darkest Timeline from Community, if you think about it. A simple mirroring of good/bad, etc, doesn't really make sense, it's true.

It's almost like it was a deliberate reference, including evil goatees...

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

Peachfart posted:

Putting Sisko and Janeway on the same level is shameful.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
The Voq reveal makes Trouble With Tribbles, like, WAY darker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

"We need you to infiltrate Deep Space Station K-7 and poison a shipment of grain."

"Okay-"

"Lie down on this table and hold still."