Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

StashAugustine posted:

:umberto: is such a good smiley for this thread
It drives me nuts because I always want to read the entire text and it gets too small at the end.

Yes, I'm autistic, why do you ask?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

StashAugustine posted:

:umberto: is such a good smiley for this thread

It's great and I will never stop using it.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

pookel posted:

It drives me nuts because I always want to read the entire text and it gets too small at the end.

Yes, I'm autistic, why do you ask?

http://www.nybooks.com/articles/1995/06/22/ur-fascism/

Read away, it's a good essay.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

:krad: thanks for the thoughtful explanation.

Nobody wanted to bite on this? Nobody? This is like the 4D chess version of self-shaming for "impure thoughts". What's next for this guy? Hair shirts and nightly flagellation?

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
the_Donald has a thread mocking a politician for being fat.

The politician? The Belgian Minister of Health. A woman

quote:

I used to think that people talking up fat-shaming were exaggerating when they talked about the obese saying they were 'fine', 'healthy' even. No way could someone get away with advocating that obese people were healthy. I used to think that.

quote:

But DRUUMPFFF needs to lose 10-15 lbs and takes a multi-vitamin. Unfit!!! IN PEACH!!!

:ironicat:

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

My brain has always come up with the question, if Jews control everything, doesn’t that make them the super duper race.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Check out the video of this high-school nazi explaining that he filmed himself marching with a nazi flag shouting racial slurs because he never really backs down from a dare:

https://www.wkbw.com/news/national/indiana-teen-ashamed-after-video-of-him-chanting-racial-slurs-and-wearing-nazi-flag-goes-viral

I guess he bought the flag on a dare too, and researched how to buy a nazi flag, since as a regular not-a-nazi, he wouldn’t know where to find something like that.

I can’t get over his dead eyes and flat affect. When people talk about a lost generation without skills or prospects being the bedrock of the nazi resurgence, I guess this is what they mean.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Bullfrog posted:

Boston was way more significant than people thought. It should be viewed as a companion to Cville in its significance. Imagine if 50 antifascists faced down 15,000 fash. Yikes. Just yikes.

It would register as a sea-change and call for a complete refocusing of tactics. It would have been demoralizing and terrifying. It certainly wouldn't have been "fun". However, I doubt that most of even the casual antifascists would stop participating in the movement. Why? Because the politics of anti-fascism are based on actual struggle. The pepe kids simply went out with the giddy sense that they would have a good time with their bros while humiliating their enemy.

Think back to what is arguably the first incident of proto-alt right rally fuckery: Lawrence Scarsella and his friend gleefully flashing their gun and referencing 4chan memes in the car on their way to "troll" (and eventually open fire upon) a Black Lives Matter protest in Minneapolis. It was all a joke, until it suddenly revealed itself not to be on the pull of a trigger. Perhaps he opened fire after feeling that it wasn't fun anymore, that their fantasy world had been intruded upon by real-world resistance. If they hadn't opened fire, they'd be wearing helicopter ride shirts a year and a half later, holsters chaffing under their khakis.

Fun is the main motivator for the stickboy-orbiter wannabes. Fun goes well with brotherhood. The Proud Boys enjoyed success because they provided both, with their frat-like setup. Going out for drinks and going to punch SJWs on the streets were both basically equivalent to them psychologically. The streets had the added bonus that they got to feel like a manly soldier humiliating their enemy, an enemy that wanted to take away their fun. It's no coincidence that many edgelord dudes became radicalized by gamergate and the anita poo poo. They felt like someone had come to take their videogames, and ruin their fun.

It's fking obvious to anyone that the real threat that leftists and feminists pose to these chuds is not to their "fun", but their power. White dudes have too much power compared to other groups in society. However, to the all too typical breed of dude who wraps himself up in a kek flag, the distinction between "power" and "fun" is pretty drat blurry. Trolling is an expression of power meant to entertain you. Videogames are often power fantasies. Treating women like poo poo is about power too. I'm sure it's a form of disgusting entertainment for the perpetrators as well.

So then you get something like Boston, where you are utterly and humiliatingly outnumbered. Thousands of voices thunder over yours. You can barely hear yourself speak. You're sweating under your helmet, feeling pretty cringey now because you're all dressed up for combat and looking ridiculous. Nobody can see your lovely placard, covered in memes, because the police have a 200 yard barrier. All the other fash are standing around on their phones. You can smell pizza wafting over from the antifascist side, and you kick yourself for only bringing a single funsize bag of doritos.

You're weak. This ain't fun.

You don't come back out next time.

good post ty

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Pope Guilty posted:

There's a bunch of weird shared imagery between the US and Nazi Germany because both stole heavily from imperial Rome. The fasces is in a bunch of places, for example.

Look closely at Abe Lincoln's chair in his memorial for instance. The fasces is an old symbol of government that the Italian Fascists stole, similar to how the Nazis stole the swastika.

Edit: gently caress, I should actually read the thread first before posting something that other people already covered :(

Feldegast42 has issued a correction as of 22:52 on Jan 17, 2018

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Feldegast42 posted:

Look closely at Abe Lincoln's chair in his memorial for instance. The fasces is an old symbol of government that the Italian Fascists stole, similar to how the Nazis stole the swastika.

Edit: gently caress, I should actually read the thread first before posting something that other people already covered :(

also the house of representatives

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

InequalityGodzilla posted:

It means they’re going to be exterminated. That’s always been the problem with Spencer’s poo poo. he tries to couch it in more pleasant language like “No, no, we’re not going to exterminate anybody, we just want them to leave.” And in basically every interview no one ever asks “Well, what if they refuse? What happens when they say ‘We’ve lived in this country for 6 generations now, we aren’t leaving.’”

The tacit implication is that’ when the camps start.

Edit: Holy poo poo his pinned tweet is the NPI’s actual address. brb, mailing them some of my dog’s poo poo.

Also expulsion was to original Nazi plan. They were planning to move a million Jewish people a year to Madagascar. Turns out that's super hard to actually do so they came up with the final solution.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

Also expulsion was to original Nazi plan. They were planning to move a million Jewish people a year to Madagascar. Turns out that's super hard to actually do so they came up with the final solution.

Nazi intent with regards to expulsion vs. extermination is very much a debatable topic in Holocaust studies, and the Madagascar Plan was very much an extemporization suggested on the fly by Franz Rademacher.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 30 days!)

Feldegast42 posted:

The fasces itself is a pretty common meme across all cultures. A bunch of things tied together form a greater and more resilient whole. It's straightforward stuff, and for settled cultures with infantry traditions like the Romans the metaphor is a bunch of axe handles, while cultures who waged war primarily as horse archers used arrows to make the same point. The Falangists in Spain, for instance, used a bunch of arrows intersecting at a central point to represent their fascism.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Nazi intent with regards to expulsion vs. extermination is very much a debatable topic in Holocaust studies, and the Madagascar Plan was very much an extemporization suggested on the fly by Franz Rademacher.

Fair enough I am in no way an expert. But I think in the modern context in can still be informative. Expulsion is never the end with Nazis.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Captain_Maclaine posted:

There was at one point a plan to use them as slave labor on lands that they planned to seize from the Soviets. Don't remember the particulars though.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

it's the blacked.com running joke that got me

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Ruzihm posted:

good post ty

it really is.

I sent it to my mom via screen shot because she’s been fretting about the alt-right and now I’m explaining Pepes and Proud Boys to her.

Nostalgia4Infinity has issued a correction as of 00:31 on Jan 18, 2018

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Yeah, it's pretty much the best modern example of the old truism that the fascist is a coward at heart.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
its groypers not pepes now, they got chased out of that too

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
i congratulate the altright on finding a mascot grosser than pepe in the form of groyper

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Casimir Radon posted:

There was at one point a plan to use them as slave labor on lands that they planned to seize from the Soviets. Don't remember the particulars though.

That, sadly, was a seperate genocidal plan. In addition to the holocaust, the Nazi plans for the slavic lands east of them were even worse - involving killing literally all slavs that lived in cities/ had any education, and and enslaving anyone who was left over. The way to kill all these people was by starvation, as it was the most efficient solution.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
This seems like it didn't break out of the Southern California news bubble, but a 19-year-old gay pre-med student named Blaze Bernstein was found stabbed to death in an Orange County park. The search for the killer turned into something of a social media phenomenon with Kobe Bryant putting out calls to find the guy.

Police arrested and charged a former classmate with the murder, a 20-year-old Samuel Woodward.

Then you look at a pic of Woodward doing the perp walk...

https://twitter.com/ChicanosUEdCtte/status/952284073719771136

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

This seems like it didn't break out of the Southern California news bubble, but a 19-year-old gay pre-med student named Blaze Bernstein was found stabbed to death in an Orange County park. The search for the killer turned into something of a social media phenomenon with Kobe Bryant putting out calls to find the guy.

Police arrested and charged a former classmate with the murder, a 20-year-old Samuel Woodward.

that guy is 20? he looks 30 at least.

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003

Dapper_Swindler posted:

that guy is 20? he looks 30 at least.

Murderin' ages you, yknow.

also bigotry.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Spending a few days in jail with no sleep while being interrogated for 12 hour stretches too probably

What first got my attention was his head being shaved on the sides. More clear on the right side of his head.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Captain_Maclaine posted:

because they used the expertise of an observer of the Armenian genocide, whose victims were “expelled” and just “happened” to die on the way. weird how that happened

Henker
May 5, 2009

large adult son posted:

dear lord, I just started reading that thread and his answer to rifkind's question does he have no moral objection to the expulsion of his (rifkind's) family from the UK, where they have been since 1895, is galaxy mind-tier: "There's certainly a potentially tragic element to it, but tragedy is inherent to reality." :wtc:

The thing about these fuckers is they're only ever okay with the tragedy happening to other people.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
There's some pretty glorious infighting on Gab between Hunter Wallace of the League of the South, and Andrew Anglin & Weev.

This has been a long time coming since Wallace and the LotS have always tried to go for a somewhat respectable normie route. Well, their membership roll was stolen and handed over to anti-fascists so Anglin criticized them for that breach in opsec. Meanwhile Wallace is going after Weev for being Jewish.

What really seemed to set this whole thing off is the recent Wired article about the researcher who has a database of Nazis which the SPLC has access to.

BrutalistMcDonalds has issued a correction as of 05:10 on Jan 18, 2018

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Yeah, that dude's fash and it's going to come out that he killed him for being Jewish.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

There's some pretty glorious infighting on Gab between Hunter Wallace of the League of the South, and Andrew Anglin & Weev.

This has been a long time coming since Wallace and the LotS have always tried to go for a somewhat respectable normie route. Well, their membership roll was stolen and handed over to anti-fascists so Anglin criticized them for that breach in opsec. Meanwhile Wallace is going after Weev for being Jewish.

What really seemed to set this whole thing off is the recent Wired article about the researcher who has a database of Nazis which the SPLC has access to.

good

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Zeroisanumber posted:

Yeah, that dude's fash and it's going to come out that he killed him for being Jewish.

apparently he killed him for coming onto him.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Zeroisanumber posted:

maybe he went for a fash twofer in a gay Jewish man

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Darkman Fanpage posted:

loving hell.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Darkman Fanpage posted:

looking forward to the gay panic defense working in 2018 :sigh:

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

looking forward to the gay panic defense working in 2018 :sigh:

Thankfully that's illegal to use in California

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

they all have the same drat haircut

also lol at this guy's SOUTHERN PRIDE facebook pictures, posted from commiefornia

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 30 days!)

https://twitter.com/MarkAmesExiled/status/953816241227124738

quote:

The head of the State Committee for State TV and Radio Broadcasting's licensing and distribution-control department, Serhiy Oliyinyk, told RFE/RL's Ukrainian Service that "several paragraphs did not allow us to give permission for [the import of] this book" and accused Beevor of falling for a "provocation" that was never confirmed by war crimes prosecutors after the conflict.

He cited a passage that purportedly said "Ukrainian nationalists were tasked with shooting the children" in order to "spare the feelings of SS Sonderkommando,"
a reference to forced work units made up of death-camp prisoners.

"We are not aware of such facts being revised at the Nuremberg tribunal. It's a provocation," Oliyinyk said. "When we checked the sources he used, we found out he used reports of The People's Commissariat for Internal Affairs. It was enough to discuss the issue at expert council and we are happy they supported us."

In an e-mail to RFE/RL, Beevor said that Oliyinyk’s statement is untrue and that the source for the report was a highly respected anti-Nazi officer, Colonel Helmuth Groscurth, who was a witness to the atrocity and who reported it to another German officer. He said those details were recounted in a book written by Groscurth and published in 1970.

"He wrote to his wife at the time, so shocked was he by what he had witnessed, ‘We cannot and should not be allowed to win this war'," Beevor said in his e-mail. "I expect an immediate apology from Oliyinyk and a reversal of the decision by the ‘expert council.'"

Note that radio free europe gets the SS Sonderkommando wrong. SS-Sonderkommando were ad-hoc units formed by the SS for the purposes of carrying out mass murders, and had no relation to the concentration camp sonderkommandos.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin
jesus christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side