Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
none of it, ns is one of the shittiest gamergate posters and this is their mo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
anyway i really like how yuasa lets you infer events in split second scenes, particularly in the final episode. the shots of the last humans crammed into the living spaces, the man-devilman alliance, the countermeasures against devil champions like psycho jenny, the desperate experimentation, all his could be expanded upon, but its not necessary

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Phobophilia posted:

anyway i really like how yuasa lets you infer events in split second scenes, particularly in the final episode. the shots of the last humans crammed into the living spaces, the man-devilman alliance, the countermeasures against devil champions like psycho jenny, the desperate experimentation, all his could be expanded upon, but its not necessary

Seconding this, but also for the manga? It felt like all of the events in the final volume could've been expanded into a desperate, long arc that took volumes to go on about the experimentation and such, but nope: quick, snappy, and it hurt all the more for it.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

dogsicle posted:

what bit of the podcast did you pull this out of? because i did not hear the words parody or subversion and none of them were familiar enough with the manga to speak on it comprehensively/authoritatively (and they didn't).

Why can't these people get a single manga reader for their podcast I'm so heckin mad

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Illegenes rts ANN articles sometimes get them on there

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

DisDisDis posted:

Why can't these people get a single manga reader for their podcast I'm so heckin mad

none of them want to acknowledge piracy or engage in it, so Devilman has pretty much always been unavailable to them. the 1986 English release wasn't complete, and the only other option is importing a 2002 bilingual edition that i didn't even know existed until researching just now.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Phobophilia posted:

none of it, ns is one of the shittiest gamergate posters and this is their mo

My MO...is posting JesuOtaku's take on Go Nagai somehow being responsible for Harem anime.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

DisDisDis posted:

let's make our own anime podcast

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

dogsicle posted:

what bit of the podcast did you pull this out of? because i did not hear the words parody or subversion and none of them were familiar enough with the manga to speak on it comprehensively/authoritatively (and they didn't).

Someone on there had, did people actually listen to it? Admittedly he was talked over a lot, but they had a manga reader on there.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Smoking Crow posted:

Six Bad Words

EDIT: It has been utterly amazing how free of dumb takes Crybaby has been. ANN and someone just people horrified with the surface level content aside, most of the reviews or articles on this series has actually devolved into the deeper subject matter like LGBT and anti war themes and how it's actually reflected into the show (for good and bad) instead of vaguely praising the visuals or whatever.

NutritiousSnack fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jan 18, 2018

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

dogsicle posted:

none of them want to acknowledge piracy or engage in it, so Devilman has pretty much always been unavailable to them. the 1986 English release wasn't complete, and the only other option is importing a 2002 bilingual edition that i didn't even know existed until researching just now.

These people are dumb, imo

Smoking Crow posted:

I can't wait to talk for two hours straight about how yaoi having feminine gay men and murder-torture is extremely woke while you explain theology to me

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

NutritiousSnack posted:

Someone on there had, did people actually listen to it? Admittedly he was talked over a lot, but they had a manga reader on there.

Mike Toole has...seen some pages? read a bit? idk, they were very vague on their experiences with the series but as said above the lack of an official release means they probably avoided it or would never dare speak of reading it lol

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Making a sub par podcast is a fitting fate for cowards like that

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
were ryo's radio hutu broadcasts in the original manga? because that felt incredibly on the nose

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

NutritiousSnack posted:

My MO...is posting JesuOtaku's take on Go Nagai somehow being responsible for Harem anime.

*Thinks about all the manga genres Nagai was responsible for starting*

haha that's just crazy

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

Well, TBH, it is rather more textually and explicitly accepting of gay people than either Devilman manga. Lady in particular got... weird on that count.

Basically, in the original Devilman and Lady, being gay means that there’s some sort of opposite-sex identity within you. So in Devilman, Ryo has a crush on Akira because he’s secretly a hermaphrodite. In Lady, Ran and Jun are in love because they’re the two split halves of Satan, and Ran is actually the male half despite being magically disguised as a woman. Meanwhile, Jun’s rival, Aoi (who provided much of the character concept for this version of Miko) had her mind split between male and female as a defensive reaction to her stepfather’s sexual abuse (and between human and demon, but that’s another, separate story), and struggles throughout the series with her male half’s desire for Jun. Eventually, she grows a dick as a side-effect of her devilman powers, loses control, joins the bad guys, and rapes Jun before getting exploded.

In that light, Miko, who’s definitely gay (or at least bisexual) with no bizarre gender stuff going on, is redeemed by her love for Miki, and dies a dignified, heroic death, is at least somewhat subversive. Similarly, Ryo’s love for Akira is moved away from being a natural function of who he is towards being a natural function of their relationship.

I normally get annoyed by killing your gays trope but considering basically everyone in the world but Satan dies and it happens so fast, I give this show a hard pass on being an actual example of the trope.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

dogsicle posted:

none of them want to acknowledge piracy or engage in it.

That's pretty sad considering piracy and fansubbers are probably the only reason any of those people have jobs. Like most of the video game podcasts I listen to still occasionally recommend that people go find a ROM if the game isn't readily available to the average consumer.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The bulk of their job involves contemporary stuff so that's p different from podcasts that talk about old games.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Ah I assumed ANN covered a lot of older stuff. The only anime podcast I listen to is GME Anime Fun Time.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

some columns dip back into older stuff but you'll find them not acknowledging piracy there either, iirc. kinda begs the question of how they watch these things :shrug:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Devilman Lady is good

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Anyway I watched the whole series the last two days. Yuasa saves Anime again.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I read Devilman Lady a while back and don't remember being too offended

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

literally every romantic relationship in crybaby is gay

if someone got mad about crybaby killing off all the gays i'd be real annoyed with them because the only reason the gays die is because everyone is gay, and someone has to die

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Finally got around to watching the rest of the series today.

Favorite line is definitely, "we have to kill the humans before God gets here!"

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

All devilmen are gay or at least bisexual, I don't make the rules

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Schwarzwald posted:

Finally got around to watching the rest of the series today.

Favorite line is definitely, "we have to kill the humans before God gets here!"

I like the lady that screams “Kill the humans!” like immediately after the Devilmen rallied together like wait no we DON’T want to kill them!

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Liver Disaster posted:

All devilmen are bisexual or at least gay, I don't make the rules

Fixed

Srice posted:

*Thinks about all the manga genres Nagai was responsible for starting*

haha that's just crazy

Yeah the joke is it's one of the obvious few he didn't. That's why ANN's podcast was bad

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Yeah that is okay too.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

C-SPAN Caller posted:

I normally get annoyed by killing your gays trope but considering basically everyone in the world but Satan dies and it happens so fast, I give this show a hard pass on being an actual example of the trope.

I guess the Devilman equivalent is the manner of your death - do you get one that’s dignified and heroic or messy and humiliating? Of course, by that count, Miko does better than pretty much anyone else in the cast (Silene possibly excluded).

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

dogsicle posted:

some columns dip back into older stuff but you'll find them not acknowledging piracy there either, iirc. kinda begs the question of how they watch these things :shrug:

Buried Treasure was done by a guy who used to work for CPM, so :ms: there- he usually said as much in the articles, that he saw a given thing for the first time while picking through stuff CPM licensed back in the day.

e: also, ANN is super tied up with the anime licensing companies, so it's kind of a requirement that they don't acknowledge piracy, or they will seriously lose their whole entire rear end over it. Funi and CR in particular are both deeply in bed with ANN and deeply intolerant of piracy.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

this bit about the ann podcast is bad

RME
Feb 20, 2012

DisDisDis posted:

These people are dumb, imo

I can't wait to talk for two hours straight about how yaoi having feminine gay men and murder-torture is extremely woke while you explain theology to me

Finally a podcast I can listen to

RME
Feb 20, 2012

im an at least bisexual

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

i refuse to believe that with all the weebs in the world the ANN podcast is the only good podcast covering devilman crybaby someone please prove me right

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

AfricanBootyShine posted:

i refuse to believe that with all the weebs in the world the ANN podcast is the only good podcast covering devilman crybaby someone please prove me right

I believe it but mostly because podcasts are bad.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

dogsicle posted:

this bit about the ann podcast is bad

Apparently, NutritiousSnack is a gator who tries to rile people up against stuff that they (and he) haven’t seen. So bear that in mind.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i'm sure tons of anime podcasts have covered it but overall quality is dire in the anime podcast market.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

Apparently, NutritiousSnack is a gator who tries to rile people up against stuff that they (and he) haven’t seen. So bear that in mind.

gently caress, alligators can type now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

dogsicle posted:

overall quality is dire in the podcast market.

• Locked thread