Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Think you’ll find the primary use for Metamorph is to move your Mwangi onto Archives so they only ever get to access one card there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Just want to be sure on this while I decide on decks for Store Champs this weekend. Both Corp Deck and Runner Deck are allowed to play a restricted list card, yes? So I can have Film Critic in my runner deck and Obokata Protocol in my corp deck at game time?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Yes.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Oh, one neat use of ICE rearranging is with the ICE like Komainu - that gains subroutines until the end of the run, so if it's encountered multiple times it's rather prohibitive.

Of course, the one wrinkle of that strategy is having to reset it's position after it's stuck in the innermost slot.

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

CodfishCartographer posted:

So now that temujin and desperado and siphon are gone, what's the standard way for crims to make shitloads of money? Spam security testing?

e: Bank Job? Aeneas Informant?

Wait for account siphon to be reprinted, basically.

e: steve and geist can really make an absurd amount of money if they can get going

fomo sacer fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Jan 17, 2018

blindidiotgod
Jan 9, 2005

Static Equilibrium posted:

Wait for account siphon to be reprinted, basically.

e: steve and geist can really make an absurd amount of money if they can get going

Current Aesops/Wasteland/Reaver Apex with Assmiliator can start every turn with 4 credits and 2 cards.

... then burn out when didn't pack a Levy.

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

blindidiotgod posted:

Current Aesops/Wasteland/Reaver Apex with Assmiliator can start every turn with 4 credits and 2 cards.

Oh my God. I've literally just now realised Assimilator works like this and isn't just a way of refreshing cards post-Apocalypse.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

My idea for rearranging the ICE was to use a combination of Whirlpool, Metamorph, and damaging ICE to try to ensure that I could always force the runner to hit something and take some damage, then with the Whirlpool forcing them to complete the run if they hit an Agenda then Personal Evolution's ID will cripple them pretty hard if not flatline them outright.

Of course, even in casual play, it didn't work out very well. But I think there's a fun concept there for some ~mind games~ so even if it's suboptimal I'm going to keep poking at it.

For my actual tournament deck I'm thinking Weyland or H-B and I can't decide between them to save my life. :( All the Corps are so drat cool.

blindidiotgod posted:

The only Apex card I have is Assimilator, from Stimhack I got the impression that none of the runner subtypes are super great and Apex is the weakest of all. Confirm/deny?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

You mean the mini-factions?

Sunny is good and the biggest reason she was held back rotated out (namely, Andromeda doing her job just as well, if not better, and assembling way quicker). If you can handle being somewhat slow and late-game oriented, she is very good. Nowadays, Anarch can do some fun Security Nexus + Bad Pub shenanigans, but it's a somewhat different flavor of the archetype.

Adam is okayish tier 2 fake criminal. I don't think he ever was better than any of the main runner factions taken as a whole, but there's a bunch of IDs that are way worse and in general he's not really bad (especially now that criminal, his most direct counterpart, got crippled). I'd hazard a guess he's now equal to criminals in their current state? He's now like a somewhat wonky criminal with way better econ (drug dealer + lovegood, safety first, aesoping 0-cred directives, three of which don't even cost a click).

He works really, really well with a lot of blue cards (drug dealer, rip deal, run events) and while I have a pet theory he might be out-crimming criminal, I don't really have a deck to prove it yet.

Apex was janky trash that never worked, but
A) his signature card, Apocalypse, became a rather neat splash for other decks,
B) the just-printed Assimilator has a huge gamechanger potential,
C) given some stuff being reined in by rotation, he's actually becoming decent when played in a fairly boring fashion - importing normal breakers and using face-down trashes as an economic engine.

Now, getting into the personal opinion theory, his main problem has always been Endless Hunger. The supposed Endless Hunger + Heartbeat + eating miscellaneous subroutines combo did just not work, between too many ETR subs being worded in a way incompatible with EH (end the run, unless... end the run if...) and some subroutine effects being used for too nasty combos to just power through (heartbeat is still awesome, though). And if you can't go full gimmick and only really want 90% of his cards for some trash econ, you might as well just play Geist.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Adam actually used to be the best of the three, I think, but losing E3 Feedback Implants really hurt him. Used to be you could click / Overmind through drat near everything with E3, but when it rotated out it really kneecapped his ability to be aggressive.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
One advantage Apex has is that an Apex deck literally has no dead draws. If you don't have use for a card in a given matchup or at a given point, just feed it to the chopbot/aesop/whatever else.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

:psyduck: So how can you best mitigate Paperclip? Is Barrier ICE just kinda DOA against anyone with nine influence to toss at Anarchs? Only useful in the early game?

I'm really tempted to grab Blood Money just for the Paperclip playset, are there any other standout cards in the set?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

food court bailiff posted:

:psyduck: So how can you best mitigate Paperclip? Is Barrier ICE just kinda DOA against anyone with nine influence to toss at Anarchs? Only useful in the early game?

I'm really tempted to grab Blood Money just for the Paperclip playset, are there any other standout cards in the set?

Beth Kilrain-Chang, Fairchild 2.0 and Prisec all see decent play.

Also lol there are two cards (Temüjin Contract and Rumor Mill) in Card Jail from just that pack.

The best way to deal with Paperclip is Ark Lockdown, because runners are totally careless and will happily pitch not 1 but 2 copies of Clippy into the bin with no thought to what might happen to them. Alternately, Blacklist behind a Vanilla will do the trick.

Extremely high-strength ICE is about the only thing good against Clippy, so get your advanced Fire Walls and/or Orion on.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Paperclip is undoubtedly the best barrier breaker the game has ever had. Like other breakers, the best way to stop it is to have a super expensive piece of ice that the runner can't afford to get through. This can be tough since paperclip is so efficient, but it can be done with lots of other taxes. The only other thing that you can do about it is to trash it and then keep it from coming back with something like Skorp, Ark Lock down, Blacklist, Chronos Project, etc. It's not easy to deal with, but it is possible.

The key thing about paperclip (and icebreakers in general) isn't that you want to STOP them entirely. Eventually the runner will get to the point where they can get through any piece of ICE you put down. This doesn't mean those ice are worthless, because now they're not there to stop the runner, they're there to tax the runner. Drain their credits with ice that's expensive to break. Then when they're poor the ice turns back into stopping the runner - doesn't matter if the Paperclip can get through your ice wall super easy if the runner has 0c.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Paperclip also probably featured on more than a few pet Restricted lists, and only isn’t there because the number of other even ‘okay’ Fracters is low, pre Yusuf.

I wouldn’t be surprised if it graduates onto the list.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I don't want clippy on the restricted list, I want it erratad to 5 influence.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

You want best? Skorpios + Ark Lockdown.

You want fun? A deck with no barriers.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Lichtenstein posted:

You want fun? A deck with no barriers.

This was a much better play when Quandary still existed.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
I once made a deck where the entire gimmick was that it ran all the possible copies of every card with "Fairchild" in the name.

There was one thing it did right and it was trolling Paperclip.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

So uh apparently my local scene is dead enough that actually the only event for miles around for months is a store championship at the end of February. But I'm absolutely hellbent on playing this dumb game now, so I'm going to go and get my rear end kicked.

Luckily since I have over a month and there's no random cards I should be able to put something almost passable together if I just binge meta articles and stuff for the next several weeks. My goal here is to win a single game, and, failing that, to not be absolutely last. Maybe. Hopefully. Fingers crossed.

I'll probably be wanting to play online quite a bit in a week or so if anyone's game.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

So uh apparently my local scene is dead enough that actually the only event for miles around for months is a store championship at the end of February. But I'm absolutely hellbent on playing this dumb game now, so I'm going to go and get my rear end kicked.

Luckily since I have over a month and there's no random cards I should be able to put something almost passable together if I just binge meta articles and stuff for the next several weeks. My goal here is to win a single game, and, failing that, to not be absolutely last. Maybe. Hopefully. Fingers crossed.

I'll probably be wanting to play online quite a bit in a week or so if anyone's game.

Do it, my second time playing with real people since 1996 was a store championship. Unless it's the neckbeardiest hive of power players it'll be a good time.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Get the Jankteki [sic] plugin for chrome for friendlist support on Jinteki.net

Follow CodeMarvelous (Self-Modifying Code on YouTube), he plays whatever the top deck is on nrdb most every day, talks about it and shows it off. Really great. There's also Beyoken who does all sorts of good powerpoints about the game and deck ideas.

Destrado
Feb 9, 2001

I thought, What a nice little city, it suits me fine. It suited me fine so I started to change it.
Metropole Grid is a much better showcase of newer decks in play I think. CodeMarv always seems bored and unengaged with his solo streams.

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

Vanilla remains the best way to mitigate paperclip imo. Forcing the runner to spend 5 when you rez your 0 cost gearcheck is dope, and trying to out-tempo the runner is a really fun strategy in general.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
If I'm about to play TD for the first time, any spoiler-free tips? Specifically -

We probably want to keep it to TD/Core, but is this a bad idea? We both have fairly extensive collections but it kinda feels like having too many cards would give too many wild swings between games
If we do stick with that, Original Core or Revised?
Are particular matchups better? I get the impression you're meant to do either Steve/Skorp or Bios/Seidr, but is one of those significantly more fun than the other? Does Steve/Seidr or Bios/Skorp work?

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Skorp/Steve is a nightmare for Steve as all his cards get flushed away between his own ability and Skorp. Siedr/Steve and Skorp/Bios is recommended IMO.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

It is a crying shame that Rumor Mill is in card jail because I love the card art so much. But wow what were they thinking with that effect.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

But wow what were they thinking with that effect.
"gently caress Caprice Nisei," most likely.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Anybody local to MN? I'm still trying to put some stuff together to test on Jinteki but I feel like I learn cards a lot better in person. Plus, I want to meet local gamers, I know like nobody here outside of my D&D crew.

PMs work if there's anybody out there.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Went 3-3 today at Store Champs, my first event in a year. Pretty decent show to knock the rust off. A lot of excitement from folks to play more, very chill day. Glad of it.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Went 3-3 today at Store Champs, my first event in a year. Pretty decent show to knock the rust off. A lot of excitement from folks to play more, very chill day. Glad of it.

Nice! I went 4-4 (3 runner, 1 corp win) in my store's championship today. I played Adam and Jinteki Biotech (chose Greenhouse every time), in a field of Hayleys, Smokes, CTMs and a few various Weylands.

Adam is a ton of fun, and while I never expected my spicy Jinteki deck to win, it was the most fun I've had playing corp in a long time. Mushin no Shin and An Offer You Can't Refuse are easily my favorite corp cards. Sandstorm actually almost won me a game, but the runner had one more click left to run the server again and get through.

I don't know what I'd do to tweak my Adam deck as it works pretty well as-is against most things that are not Jinteki, though Top Hat never did anything for me today. I've already tweaked my Biotech deck to get rid of the Cerebral Overwriters and throw in a Contract Killer since in the same game that Sandstorm almost won me, I forgot about Film Critic being on the table and lost a Mushin'd Obokata that the runner would not have otherwise been able to steal.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Came in third at a store champs yesterday, first time even making the cut. Played Smoke and Biotech (Brewery). Got beaten in the semi finals because I couldn't find any ice and got agenda flooded with only 7 agendas in the deck.

Machai fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jan 22, 2018

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

I don't know what I'd do to tweak my Adam deck as it works pretty well as-is against most things that are not Jinteki, though Top Hat never did anything for me today. I've already tweaked my Biotech deck to get rid of the Cerebral Overwriters and throw in a Contract Killer since in the same game that Sandstorm almost won me, I forgot about Film Critic being on the table and lost a Mushin'd Obokata that the runner would not have otherwise been able to steal.

https://netrunnerdb.com/en/deck/view/1061381

There is my current Adam deck if you want to steal. Special Order, a turtle, and the scrubbers go up and down in inf from day to day, but I like where it's at. You just eat damage against jinteki. i'm debating actually adding a second levy.

It's competitive but not tier 1, and got me to 4th our of 16 at my store champs.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

My funsies Jinteki deck is coming along nicely. Today I have some Okobata Protocols coming, and I'm a little afraid my casual friends are going to stop wanting to play.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

My funsies Jinteki deck is coming along nicely. Today I have some Okobata Protocols coming, and I'm a little afraid my casual friends are going to stop wanting to play.

Obokata Protocol is definitely strong enough on its own to necessitate it being on the restricted list, but honestly I think it's a pretty fun card that makes for interesting/tough decisions on both sides' parts.

The best thing you can do for your more casual friends is just tell them it's in your deck and explain exactly how it works and how they'll interact with it as a runner. That will help mitigate sour grapes (though maybe not avoid them entirely).

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Hey folks, I'm rebooting the Jinteki league after Berenzen got swamped with much more important obligations. Signup here: Jinteki Goon League 0100

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Three questions:

-Can a runner choose not to steal an agenda after accessing it (e.g. Okobata?) Or once you've chosen to access it, you're stealing it, even if you can't safely meet the costs?

-Jinteki Biotech - you can change your ID before the first turn of the game. Does that mean that hypothetically you could pull your HQ, mulligan, pull again, and then decide? Not sure what situation you'd ever want that in but I'm wondering.

-Is there any compendium of the dumb fiction anywhere because every time I check out a pack it's like "Contains exciting cards for the Corps dealing with the 23 Second Incident" and stuff, which sounds all rad and cyberpunk but I have no idea what they're talking about.

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Hey folks, I'm rebooting the Jinteki league after Berenzen got swamped with much more important obligations. Signup here: Jinteki Goon League 0100

I'm totally going to sign up for this as soon as I get my account and decks set up on Jinteki, when do you expect to start playing the first games?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The Worlds of Android book is the lore book you're looking for.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Three questions:

-Can a runner choose not to steal an agenda after accessing it (e.g. Okobata?) Or once you've chosen to access it, you're stealing it, even if you can't safely meet the costs?

-Jinteki Biotech - you can change your ID before the first turn of the game. Does that mean that hypothetically you could pull your HQ, mulligan, pull again, and then decide? Not sure what situation you'd ever want that in but I'm wondering.

-Is there any compendium of the dumb fiction anywhere because every time I check out a pack it's like "Contains exciting cards for the Corps dealing with the 23 Second Incident" and stuff, which sounds all rad and cyberpunk but I have no idea what they're talking about.

- I believe so
- Not sure? I think maybe you can, since you can swap any time before your first turn, and you mulligan before then, too.
- There is! There's a book called The Worlds of Android, and is basically a bigass lore book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Three questions:

1. Yes - anytime there is a cost you can choose not to pay it (I believe).
2. No, you have to pick your ID before you draw. Same as Adam and the directives.