Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

i can't believe reimus loving dead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

a cartoon duck posted:

I will fight you in Nages' place, in Antinomy of Common Flower.

I'm retired from the fighting game scene

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

And the pofv scene

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

i voted for reimu AND marisa

gently caress you !

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Voting for Reimu is like picking Mario in Mario Party

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
If you vote for reimu you're a cop

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Reimu is my favorite character, and I'm okay that makes me a basic bitch.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Also speaking of which I hope the Fortune Teller Nosferatu continues his impressive climb.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

My favourite will always be Patchouli but Reimu is very good and deserves her spot above all interlopers.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I agree that Reimu is a strong contender, but that doesn't mean you should vote for her. I for one support Koishi, the official best character of 2015.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Clarste posted:

I agree that Reimu is a strong contender, but that doesn't mean you should vote for her. I for one support Koishi, the official best character of 2015.

Who?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Please vote for your invisible childhood friend.

And/or Shizuha.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Clarste posted:

Please vote for your invisible childhood friend.

And/or Shizuha.

She's... who? Huh?

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

I can't get fullscreen to work properly on AoCF, there's a black border around instead of the whole screen being filled. I'm using a standard 1080p TV and a 750Ti if that helps. And I'm using the thcrap translation patch.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Stink Terios posted:

I can't get fullscreen to work properly on AoCF, there's a black border around instead of the whole screen being filled. I'm using a standard 1080p TV and a 750Ti if that helps. And I'm using the thcrap translation patch.

While the patch has been making steady progress, it'd still not what I'd call complete. The first thing I'd check if I were you is whether you still have the problem without the patch.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Same thing happens unpatched.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I read the first volume of Forbidden Scrollery today, and it's very good. I can't believe nobody in the thread ever said even a single thing about it.

People gave them a lot of crap for writing Akyu's surname all weird, but I find it very striking that they faithfully spell "Gensokyo" with the correct number of Us, and "yokai" with too many. Only a true fan would replicate that inconsistency.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
Yeah but they also messed up the nuance in Reimu's character title so it all cancels out.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
"Beautiful" did strike me as a really weird choice of words. Or is there more to it than that, even?

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Now that I think about it, if you're translating Touhou from first principles, is it even a foregone conclusion that you say "Gensokyo" at all? Without an existing convention, I could easily see myself translating it as "(a/the) Land of Illusions", particularly when it's playing off 「理想郷」, which is just a regular-rear end noun.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Clarste posted:

14th Annual Touhou Popularity Poll is up. Please learn Japanese and do your civic duty by voting for Shizuha, or possibly not Shizuha.

My favorite 2hu game is Oriental Starbunker

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

FractalSandwich posted:

Now that I think about it, if you're translating Touhou from first principles, is it even a foregone conclusion that you say "Gensokyo" at all? Without an existing convention, I could easily see myself translating it as "(a/the) Land of Illusions", particularly when it's playing off 「理想郷」, which is just a regular-rear end noun.

I've been told French fans do call it whatever "land of illusions" is in French rather than Gensokyo, so it's not exactly a set-in-stone thing.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
hosed up imo

Nook
Jan 27, 2015

My favorite character is Inuyasha, from Oriental Feng Shuin, and my favorite games are Toho Science, Toho Imagination Rules, and Mausoleum of the Toho.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

a cartoon duck posted:

I've been told French fans do call it whatever "land of illusions" is in French rather than Gensokyo, so it's not exactly a set-in-stone thing.

I believe that would be "pomme de terre".

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
R.I.P. Four Seasons Utsuhime-SA Grand Theft Auto San Andreas MOD

And characters refer to Gensokyo all the time as if it's the name of a country or province, i.e. "In Gensokyo", so I think a general descriptive term like "Land of Illusions" would sound weird.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

It's grandfathered in at this point, had we always called it Land of Illusions we would call people trying to name it Gensokyo try-hard weebs who want to keep perfectly translatable terms in Japanese.

Arguably being basically nameless suits the place for being a land of mystery and legend.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

See also: We keep the names for Yuyuko's and Eirin's places in Japanese, but translate most major locations since Mountain of Faith into English. The English fandom translation conventions are inconsistent as all hell.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I figured it was meant to be like "Tokyo" and not translated

i can never remember what yuyuko's area even is so white jade belvedere has just replaced it for me

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Hakugyokuro isn't white, it's not made of jade, and it doesn't have a belvedere (as far as we know, maybe Reimu's just never been invited to see it)

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I wanna see you try convincing Yuyuko her brown wood house is not a White Jade Belvedere.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

a cartoon duck posted:

I wanna see you try convincing Yuyuko her brown wood house is not a White Jade Belvedere.

If you have a lot of food maybe.

Nook
Jan 27, 2015

Hakugyokuro is a term used in old Chinese legends as a place where artists go after they die. (Yuyuko's supposed father slash real-life analogue being a poet.) It has no practical meaning in either English or Japanese, but we can more or less cleanly translate it as White Jade Tower/Belvedere so we should be doing that instead of leaving it untranslated.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Don't mythology and place names usually get a free pass? That feels kinda like translating "Sanzu River" as "River of Three Crossings". Which I'm sure some people do but I'd find it dumb.
I'm no professional though.

HellCopter fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jan 18, 2018

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Gensokyo is a place where things have dumb names, like Human Village and Youkai Mountain. Land of Fantasy wouldn't be totally out of place given that set-up.

Oh yes, let's not forget the infamous Underground. Or the Moon City.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I think any building built in a beautiful, paradisaical after world would be a belvedere de facto.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
On one hand, Gensokyo sounds cool.

On the other hand, I don't know what Former Hell is called in japanese but to my english ears I guarantee it doesn't sound as cool as Former Hell

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I like Old Hell better.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Old Hell sounds like an exclamation my virginia farmboy dad would yell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

a cartoon duck posted:

See also: We keep the names for Yuyuko's and Eirin's places in Japanese, but translate most major locations since Mountain of Faith into English. The English fandom translation conventions are inconsistent as all hell.

Maybe you do those things, but I do not