Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Thirteen Orphans posted:

I don't know how I never knew this considering all the research into the priesthood I did, both theologically and practically.

There's a section in the giant RCIA handbook about adults who want to be baptized but not confirmed, so I imagine it must be common enough to warrant pastoral guidance.

Might have something to do with the oath you have to take during Confirmation, since some people are uncomfortable with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Cythereal posted:

People will use any religion or belief system to justify doing terrible things. It's hardly an exclusively American or Christian thing.

I just like the fact that the dude was a LockMart, than Northtrop Grumman engineer earning $140K per year and the couple had at least 3 marriage renewals in Vegas (Elvis and all) in the last 8 years.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Tias posted:

setting up some re-education camps at this point.

Isn't that the same attitude that these kinds of people have regarding homosexuality?

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Worthleast posted:

One of the Amazon reviews for that book starts, "This book contains an anti-Semitic Blood Libel. Beware." and then blasts the legend of little St. Hugh. Maybe the reviewer has problems with Canterbury Tales also.

Well the story of Little Hugh of Lincoln is an anti-Semitic blood libel. That's not a value judgement, it's a statement of unadorned fact.

Fun fact: if you go to a shrine of Little Hugh in Lincoln Cathedral they've put up a sign up saying something of the lines of "This is fake. Christians were really lovely to Jews. God have mercy on our souls."

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Can't use electroshock to turn people non-Quiver-full.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
Strangely, I felt no compulsion to crush Austria under the armed bootheel after reading about the Josef Fritzl case.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

Mr Enderby posted:

Well the story of Little Hugh of Lincoln is an anti-Semitic blood libel. That's not a value judgement, it's a statement of unadorned fact.

Fun fact: if you go to a shrine of Little Hugh in Lincoln Cathedral they've put up a sign up saying something of the lines of "This is fake. Christians were really lovely to Jews. God have mercy on our souls."

I need to visit Lincoln. Doing some digging on this, apparently the real St. Hugh of Lincoln spent a lot of time protecting Jews from this sort of thing. Also, owning a pet swan.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Monk Art has always ruled.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
That made my day. Also, where is this catholic trads harassing calvinists that I was promised? I can't resist a good Calvinist-baiting meme.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
The Two Monks Invent series was always my favorite on The Toast.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

Tag yourself. I'm the 1561 UFO Battle of Nuremberg.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I'm the Pleiadeians with Lord Ashtar. I always loved Ninja Gaiden II.

SavageGentleman
Feb 28, 2010

When she finds love may it always stay true.
This I beg for the second wish I made too.

Fallen Rib
I'm "TIANJIN KINETIC BOMBARDMENT"

Also I'm gonna steal that name for a band.

edit: Oh, it's a conspiracy theory about the Chemical Factory accident in China a few years ago! :(

SavageGentleman fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jan 18, 2018

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
There's a Grey Pope now? Why doesn't the curia ever inform the faithful of these changes *grumbles*

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

City of London Dragon Worship here.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
I'm 4th dimension negative entities.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

CountFosco posted:

Strangely, I felt no compulsion to crush Austria under the armed bootheel after reading about the Josef Fritzl case.
a german friend of mine did say "austria is the creepy basement of the german world" though

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Night10194 posted:

Monk Art has always ruled.
that giant sparrow is one of the best things in my life

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Can anyone help me find Woodrow Wilson/Col. House/similar WWI conspiracies on that thing? Reading it makes my eye hurt.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Pershing posted:

Can anyone help me find Woodrow Wilson/Col. House/similar WWI conspiracies on that thing? Reading it makes my eye hurt.
ww1 conspiracies? loving talk to me about this, my dude

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

CountFosco posted:

That made my day. Also, where is this catholic trads harassing calvinists that I was promised? I can't resist a good Calvinist-baiting meme.

There's someone (or maybe a group of people) who create fake Facebook profiles that look ultra-Reformed, beard and all, and then joins some of the thousands of Calvinist groups on FB.

Once they're in, they change all their profile photos and stuff to images of the BVM and start quoting the early church fathers.

This kills the Calvinist.

e: There's a lot of drama in the Reformed community recently because pastors keep bolting and becoming Eastern Orthodox and nobody in ministry seems willing to call them heretics who have abandoned the One True Faith Made In Geneva.

The Phlegmatist fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jan 18, 2018

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
Christgoons, I've got a book group meeting up soon and for it we have read Gilead and Equus. I enjoyed them both quite a lot. Anyone have thoughts to share on either work? Anyone want to start a Liturgoons book club? :D

HEY GUNS posted:

a german friend of mine did say "austria is the creepy basement of the german world" though

I'm heading to Austria in April for a week or so of vacation. Don't fill me with regret now. Fill me with delicious Austrian ideas for my trip.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

HEY GUNS posted:

ww1 conspiracies? loving talk to me about this, my dude

Oh Jesus, they're bad. Variations on a theme of "the U.S. was manipulated to join the First World War for REASONS". Possible 'reasons' include:

1) To place the sovereign natural law man under the chain of government debt

2) Advancing both the interests of the British crown and 'un-American' progressivism at the same time (somehow)

3) To stroke the ego of a power-mad schemer from Texas

4) All of the above plus because the Rothschilds, the Freemasons, the Jesuits AND the Elders of Zion demanded it

My 7th grade Civics teacher of all people went on about this poo poo AT LENGTH. If you ever want a good summary of modern American conspiracy Kathryn Olmstead's Real Enemies is a great place to start (see link # 3, above).

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

WerrWaaa posted:

Anyone want to start a Liturgoons book club? :D

Yes.

Can I recommend Magnus by George Mackay Brown, and most of Anthony Burgess, but particularly Earthly Powers.

Gilead is an amazing book. It even makes me think I understand Calvinism.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Worthleast posted:

Tag yourself. I'm the 1561 UFO Battle of Nuremberg.

I'm Plato <S-shaped arrow> Gnosticism, of course

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Mr Enderby posted:

makes me think I understand Calvinism.

Calvinism is basically Sithrak the Merciless, but with Jehovah and an overlay of randomness on whether or not Sithrak will actually gently caress you up.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I legit don't get how Calvinism took off.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Night10194 posted:

Smug superiority combined with self-loathing is something that appeals to a lot of people. :v:

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Night10194 posted:

Calvinism can be a very liberating theology. You do t have to worry if you're good enough to get into hraven, you don't have to worry about souls in purgatory or indulgences. You don't have to think, well these priests and bishops have some special ability to understand the scripture. Just trust in a loving God, hope he'll have mercy on your wretched self, and work to better yourself and your community.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Epicurius posted:

Calvinism can be a very liberating theology. You do t have to worry if you're good enough to get into hraven, you don't have to worry about souls in purgatory or indulgences. You don't have to think, well these priests and bishops have some special ability to understand the scripture. Just trust in a loving God, hope he'll have mercy on your wretched self, and work to better yourself and your community.

ahahaha the calvinist god isn't loving

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

HEY GUNS posted:

ahahaha the calvinist god isn't loving

The Calvinist God is very loving. He, in his mercy, saves us from the eternal damnation which justice demands we suffer. That's Calvin's entire idea of justifying grace.

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

Epicurius posted:

The Calvinist God is very loving. He, in his mercy, saves us from the eternal damnation which justice demands we suffer. That's Calvin's entire idea of justifying grace.

Isn’t it a ridiculously small group Calvinist God does save though? Forgive my ignorance if not.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Cnidario posted:

Isn’t it a ridiculously small group Calvinist God does save though? Forgive my ignorance if not.

That's Jehovah's Witnesses. Mainline Calvinism is predestination but with no numerology fascination.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

How do they reconcile predestination and free will, anyway? What makes a soul merit saving and another soul 'lolnope'?

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
i prefer buddhist calvinism honestly. “the virtuous are reborn in the pure land, so much more so the evil” is better than sinners in the hands of an angry god

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Night10194 posted:

How do they reconcile predestination and free will, anyway? What makes a soul merit saving and another soul 'lolnope'?

Nothing you can do. That's the meaning of the term unconditional election -- people are saved or not based entirely on God and human agency cannot do anything to affect salvation. Which isn't to say that who's elect and who's reprobate is random or capricious.

Monergistic salvation is what makes Calvinist soteriology different from every other denomination. In Catholicism it's still grace that does the work but you have to cooperate with the grace you receive. In Calvinism God literally does everything for you. This denies free will in the sense that it's impossible to go against God's plan, but not in the sense that God ordains what you eat for breakfast.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It seems like it would be fairly impossible to avoid it being random or capricious with those conditionals, though.

Like, they might not intend it to be, but I can't really see how it would be otherwise.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
Protestants (Lutherans have unconditional election too) base it on Ephesians 2:8-10

Eph 2:8-10 posted:

For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them.

Because the mainstream Catholic theology on predestination at the time was that God elected certain people based on the foreknowledge that they'd respond favorably and cooperate with the grace they received. And so Protestants said "no, actually, there's no criteria. Some are and some aren't. That's it. But it's definitely not random because that would be weird -- there must be some divine purpose to it."

And that was basically the last word on that, never to be talked about by Protestant theologians again. There's the infralapsarian versus supralapsarian debate in Calvinism, which asks the question of if God predestined people before the fall or after the fall, but it's considered to be a pretty unimportant theological quibble.

e:

I changed my answer I'm transylvania vampirism

The Phlegmatist fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jan 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

The Phlegmatist posted:

Might have something to do with the oath you have to take during Confirmation, since some people are uncomfortable with it.

The pastor at the church I attended during breaks from college straight up told the catechumen I sponsored's RCIA class that if anyone felt like the couldn't take the oath then they couldn't be Catholic and he would deny them the sacraments.

He also purposefully baptized the catechumen I sponsored by the wrong name.

He was an amazing preacher and homilist, but otherwise brusque and rough around the edges. Honestly he was just plain mean.

• Locked thread