Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Fair point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

being available easily in print is a sticking point, depending on how flexible you are. if you mean that they should be able to pick up a print copy at the local game store, then pickings are slim in my experience. around here the only things you'll find on a shelf are 5e, pathfinder and starfinder with maybe dungeon crawl classics, 13th age and the ffg star wars book.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost
Honestly you're probably toast if the entry point is D&D. Unless they're either fresh to the hobby or already jaded storygamers, D&D IS the hobby.

Most people just introduced to D&D will likely balk at the prospect of learning another game because they'll assume it's just as complicated. I mean, you just got finished telling them how a Bonus Action is not an Action, and the handful of different ways spell slots work.

If you're serious about it though, maybe bring some physical books you own so people can get a literal feel for what's out there.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
D&D->13th Age is pretty doable, in my experience. I had a pretty easy time selling it as alternate-D&D

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

ImpactVector posted:

Honestly you're probably toast if the entry point is D&D. Unless they're either fresh to the hobby or already jaded storygamers, D&D IS the hobby.

Most people just introduced to D&D will likely balk at the prospect of learning another game because they'll assume it's just as complicated. I mean, you just got finished telling them how a Bonus Action is not an Action, and the handful of different ways spell slots work.

If you're serious about it though, maybe bring some physical books you own so people can get a literal feel for what's out there.
That's why you lead off with "none of these are even half as complicated as D&D because they weren't made by people with a graph fetish."

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Yawgmoth posted:

That's why you lead off with "none of these are even half as complicated as D&D because they weren't made by people with a graph fetish."
Eh, I think DW is the only one from that list that isn't a tome (though I haven't given Fragged Empire a read-through yet). Even Fate is deceptively heavy in practice.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Fragged Empire seems pretty loving crunchy from my page-through although I haven't really perused it at length.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

food court bailiff posted:

Fragged Empire seems pretty loving crunchy from my page-through although I haven't really perused it at length.

It is

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
The big problem I had with Fragged Kingdoms is that the “reference” style goes to poo poo when it’s spanning two books.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Fragged Empire is much simpler in practice once you know it, but its organization as a reference work makes it more difficult to learn. Maybe it's my brokebrain learning style. I have the same issue with other D&D With Actual Good Design works like Let Thrones Beware. Marvel Heroic Roleplaying made me grumble and growl out loud, but I don't think I'm alone on that one.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

hyphz posted:

The big problem I had with Fragged Kingdoms is that the “reference” style goes to poo poo when it’s spanning two books.

What's the other book? The Antagonist Archives or whatever?

I'm really tempted to grab Fragged Aeternum as well, just to add to the collection of Sweet Games I Will Never Play Or Run.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I'm running the classic Death In Freeport for my players right now in Shadow of the Demon Lord.

And holy loving poo poo every single NPC is a guy. Every single one. It's reminding me how far we've come since 2000.

Anyway. I'm taking an axe to that and have already changed two tough orc dude pirates into happily married badass orc women. I'm looking for more to change up.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

food court bailiff posted:

What's the other book? The Antagonist Archives or whatever?

Fragged Empire. A lot of it is written as “do like Fragged Empire but..”

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Mr. Maltose posted:

I will fully admit to walking between raindrops if this is a problem a lot of people have, but at the same time you probably shouldn't be playing games with a shared social contract with people who try and weaponize that contract at all?

It depends upon how you decide to weaponize it.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Decisions about pizza toppings should be made from behind a veil of ignorance.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Is there a good RPG that handles aerial dogfighting well, or am I going to have to alternate between playing FATE or whatever and X-wing with the numbers filed off?

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011

grassy gnoll posted:

Is there a good RPG that handles aerial dogfighting well, or am I going to have to alternate between playing FATE or whatever and X-wing with the numbers filed off?

Warbirds does it pretty well from what I remember of the rules. No tactical map, simple system for attack-defend. And the upside is you get to do two fist pulp heroics outside of your airplane.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
I'll second Warbirds. It gets the spirit of it right. There's even historical, mad science, and sci-fi supplements if you don't jive with the default setting.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

So I got the Karyu Densetsu free fastplay and now I wonder if I should translate it to English and run...

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

It's more I want people to know that D&D isn't the only fruit, as it were.

Also this being the UK I'm going to give the Doctor Who RPG a mention.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

grassy gnoll posted:

Strike's vehicles expansion has rules for dogfighting. I don't know how much crunch you are looking for. They are certainly lightweight compared to Strike's Tactical Combat. If you want more crunch, the dogfighting rules could easily act as the skeleton for a crunchier system if you were willing to homebrew a bit. Or maybe lightweight is what you are looking for, in which case you should definitely check them out.

Jimbozig fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jan 19, 2018

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

hyphz posted:

Fragged Empire. A lot of it is written as “do like Fragged Empire but..”

Derp. I misread your post and thought you were talking about Fragged Empire referring to another book.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
Speaking of games that aren't D&D :siren: here's the newest blogpost for The Next Project; today's post talks about how I'm going about writing the new draft, and what parts of the rules have been written so far (plus some other stuff I'm giving consideration, as is often the case.)

As always, if you have any input on stuff you wanna see on the blog or in the game, you can leave a comment on the blog itself, PM me here on SA forums, or join the TNP Discord server.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
And speaking of games that are D&D, I'd also like to plug my latest blog entry, talking about how to inject a little variety into monster encounters.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

While we're posting blog links, I really liked this article about gamify-ing risks in games with degrees of success.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

gradenko_2000 posted:

And speaking of games that are D&D, I'd also like to plug my latest blog entry, talking about how to inject a little variety into monster encounters.

How would you extend this to a version of the game that has global fixed save limits, i.e. before 3e?

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
I got around to playing divinity: original sin II and it's this, this is the 4e d&d game that never got made

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

I got around to playing divinity: original sin II and it's this, this is the 4e d&d game that never got made

Aside from being good and turn-based, the combat in OS2 isn’t very 4e

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Andrast posted:

Aside from being good and turn-based, the combat in OS2 isn’t very 4e

the mechanics are totally different but the design philosophy behind them is pretty similar IMO

and the fewer but more significant encounters with a heavy emphasis on positioning etc. feels much more like 4e encounter design than any other CRPG I've played

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

I really think the way that your party members will sometimes politely ask to cut into a conversation and then brutally murder the poo poo out of the NPC you're speaking to means it accurately simulates real tabletop play with a group of assholes.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Mario and Rabbids is actually the 4e videogame and you can't convince me otherwise.

Edit: Specifically in that each character has a standard, move and minor, as well as characters filling out roles prety well.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Moriatti posted:

Mario and Rabbids is actually the 4e videogame and you can't convince me otherwise.

Edit: Specifically in that each character has a standard, move and minor, as well as characters filling out roles prety well.

You're not wrong.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

DalaranJ posted:

How would you extend this to a version of the game that has global fixed save limits, i.e. before 3e?

That's the term I was looking for! I knew there was something to describe the old save system other than 'the old save system.'

Honestly I prefer fixed save limits over unbounded ones because the player always knows what they have to roll.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
D&D needs team jump.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

DalaranJ posted:

In TSR-era D&D, "AC stacking" isn't nearly as big of a problem, but in any case even a successful save can be a "save for half", so you can still have monster attacks that regularly tap into the "Save vs Dragon Breath" or "Save vs Spells" and then even if the Fighter always makes the save because they only need a 2, they're still taking damage.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Moriatti posted:

It's World of Warcraft :ssh:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Not doing a licensed WoW 4e thing was honestly a dropped ball for both WOTC and Blizzard

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Eh, it would have been Forgotten Realms poo poo.

Serf
May 5, 2011

i'll take a lovely setting if it has a good system

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

There’s also nothing about forgotten realms that prevents you from making good stories that take place there.

Mask of the betrayer is loving awesome and that’s forgotten realms.