Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Deceitful Penguin posted:

I also keep going broke and running out of manpower but I hear this is normal when starting out. Does make war a bit more serious.

Take loans to hire enough mercenaries to crush your opponent quickly, with the expectation of paying off the majority if not all of your loans through cash you force the other side to give you. Peace out each individual enemy for their entire treasury if need be.

Personally I generally start off quite a bit above my forcelimit but consolidate all the mercenary regiments as the war goes on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Doing a Shahansha->This is Persia game, it's the mid 1600 and I'm ready to start taking stuff from the Ottomans. I have Russia and Bahmanis allied, vs their Delhi/Tunis; total numbers they have the edge at around 320k to 280k; half of those 320k are mercs. They're 4000 ducats in debt. Ottomans have lowish manpower (40k or so), while my allies are all topped up. Tech equal, I have Defensive and Quality finished. Alone, I have about 60k force limit, but enough money/income to go up to 75k without going into deficit.

What's the best way to cripple them in the first war (hopefully enticing Austria and friends to also declare once they're low enough), as well as starting to take the necessary territories? Currently they border me where the Qonlyus used to be, and they own all territory I need for This is Persia. Optimally I would want to be able to take them on alone by the 3rd war, so as not to rely too much on Russia who's butting heads with Ming on cooldown.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
If you're having problems with vassal armies, make use of the "Attach to this" checkbox. Enable that one on a lone infantry unit and enable "attach/support" or whatever it was in the vassal UI. You can now move the armies of your vassals so they are actually useful and not just giving away free warscore.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Tahirovic posted:

Just make a DLC that is entirely achievements, every tag needs at least 5 of them.

I'd buy it

Huskalator
Mar 17, 2009

Proud fascist
anti-anti-fascist
Why does the coastal raiding system exist as it does?

It's completely uninteresting. To raid a coast you need to be a corsair state and then click on a province then click a button. To stop raids all you need to do is put a single light ship on pirate duty. There is zero strategy going on here.

It should be improved upon or taken out altogether.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Huskalator posted:

To stop raids all you need to do is put a single light ship on pirate duty.

oh

i was putting a whole fleet on that duty.

oops

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
How did no one else come up with
Mann's Not Hot: own 20 arctic provinces as Mann

Koboje
Sep 20, 2005

Quack
Absolute Madmann: Win a defensive coalition war against 10+ members as Mann

Manns Best Friend: Have a vassal never go above 0 Liberty desire for over 100 years as Mann

Straw Mann: Have the backing of an Elector for Emperorship as Mann

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
NordMann: As Norway, annex Mann.

I guess you could do it the other way too.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Did anyone do

Manns Best Friend: As Mann, Control only the Isle of Man and the Canary Islands

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Xinder posted:

oh

i was putting a whole fleet on that duty.

oops

Whole,fleet is good for privateers though. If your pirate hunting fleet is larger that the total privateers in your waters they get -99%.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

doingitwrong posted:

Whole,fleet is good for privateers though. If your pirate hunting fleet is larger that the total privateers in your waters they get -99%.

Yeah, but I was doing that to stop coastal raiders in my Portugal game because I didn't understand the coastal raiding mechanics and assumed they worked the same as privateers in that regard.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

The Earl of Mannwich - As Mann colonize Hawaii and establish colonies in Alaska and Australia.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

I bought Wealth of Nations by accident, here's a key for whoever wants it. XL44B-ZQVBN-XRRGX

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the isle of mann: as mann, own the isle of mann

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
So a Japan game! Do i play as shogun or a daimyo?

How fast do I realistically diplo annex all of Japan?

Im planning on going for the philippines and the new world.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Affi posted:

So a Japan game! Do i play as shogun or a daimyo?

How fast do I realistically diplo annex all of Japan?

Im planning on going for the philippines and the new world.

Daimyo. Shogun is just waiting around until you can diplo annex enough of the daimyo to be safe/gain enough direct power, and they will never actually make a move against you because of a combination of the AI not being capable of understanding how it works and the Ashikaga being super ahistorically powerful. Daimyo starts are a brutal and cutthroat constant war for the first ~20-50 years, followed by being the shogun anyway.

Also as a reminder, do not form Japan and always have as many Daimyos around as possible.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Can you create new daimyos? Like if I conquer land i don't want i can release it?

Why would I want a thousand daimyos? Is the vassal swarm that powerful?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Affi posted:

Can you create new daimyos? Like if I conquer land i don't want i can release it?

Why would I want a thousand daimyos? Is the vassal swarm that powerful?

Any vassal you have as a shogun is a Daimyo. You'll be shogun so long as you don't form Japan, which is a trap decision. You can steal generals from them, force seppuku on them for some bonus MP, and force them to contribute to the capital for more development. I think they also give some yearly prestige. They're really, really powerful, and the more you have, the better they get because that's all the more generals to pick from/seppuku you can force/etc.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

AnoHito posted:

Any vassal you have as a shogun is a Daimyo. You'll be shogun so long as you don't form Japan, which is a trap decision. You can steal generals from them, force seppuku on them for some bonus MP, and force them to contribute to the capital for more development. I think they also give some yearly prestige. They're really, really powerful, and the more you have, the better they get because that's all the more generals to pick from/seppuku you can force/etc.

Coming off a game where I hosed up by getting too many strong vassals, is liberty desire a problem at all when you play in Japan? I've honestly never done a game there, myself.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Even new vassals in other lands? New world nations?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
These missions seem pretty funny at times tbh

Why does a mission to help me with loans give me less interest after I get less than one? I'm struggling with the interest now, not when I only have one left!

Or do they trigger events to help you with it, like ambitions in CK2?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Xinder posted:

Coming off a game where I hosed up by getting too many strong vassals, is liberty desire a problem at all when you play in Japan? I've honestly never done a game there, myself.

Just keep them small, and they'll never really get much LD. No real need to feed them huge amounts of land, since in general you don't want to annex them anyway.

Affi posted:

Yes, anyone. I felt it was my sworn duty to make the Knights Hospitaller a daimyo, as does anyone with good sense. Also they don't count towards the relation cap, so go feel free to go wild.

AnoHito fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jan 18, 2018

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Affi posted:

Yeah. In my Tokugawa game I wound up with a bunch of Nahua daimyos which was cool.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Xinder posted:

daimyo liberty desire doesn't use the the strength of other daimyo in its calculation, unlike regular subjects

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Deceitful Penguin posted:

These missions seem pretty funny at times tbh

Why does a mission to help me with loans give me less interest after I get less than one? I'm struggling with the interest now, not when I only have one left!

Or do they trigger events to help you with it, like ambitions in CK2?

The mission system is pretty weird, it’s a relic from EU2(?) and has not been significantly overhauled in a loooooooong time.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

I didn't know any of this, now I need to start over again in my Oda game and become the Japanese HRE vassal-spam. I united Japan which after seeing all this does seem like a mistake.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

oddium posted:

the isle of mann: as mann, own the isle of mann

The Mann of Isles: As Mann, own all islands.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
It’s Reigning Mann : As Mann, become Emperor of the HRE and revoke the priviligia

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Playstation 4 posted:

One Giant Leap For Mannkind: Conquer all the British Isles, and have them all as ?Welsh? Culture by 1492 as Mann.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

wow, i didnt think this pun was so bad...

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Mantis42 posted:

wow, i didnt think this pun was so bad...

User was manned for this post

feller
Jul 5, 2006

skasion posted:

Mods???

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

the mods found it to be ill-mannered

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
Don't make toxxes against Nintendo consoles.

Also try to remember if you set them literally a year out.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Mannsplaining: As Mann have a male ruler and send an insult to a nation with a female ruler.

No Mann Is An Island: As Mann control no islands.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

skasion posted:

:eyepop:

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Mountaineer posted:

Mannsplaining: As Mann have a male ruler and send an insult to a nation with a female ruler.

Mannspreading: As Mann, have an overextension of at least 200%

Mannscaping: As Mann, be the production leader in wool

Bromannce: As Mann, have an alliance with a nation of the same dynasty

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Mountaineer posted:

No Mann Is An Island: As Mann control no islands.

PittTheElder posted:

You've got that all wrong.

No, Mann is an Island!: Control all islands as Mann

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Can someone summarise to me what the most important combat stats are? I'm aware morale is a great one, and that discipline stacks well with it, but what about stuff like "+ leader shock" and "+10% __ combat ability"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

spectralent posted:

Can someone summarise to me what the most important combat stats are? I'm aware morale is a great one, and that discipline stacks well with it, but what about stuff like "+ leader shock" and "+10% __ combat ability"?

They all matter haha. Discipline is probably the most important because it modifies both damage dealt and received. Morale ticks away from morale damage and just from the length of the battle and once it's gone you're usually hosed.

Honestly just know that some nations tend to have really strong armies (Prussia, France, Poland, Sweden) and others tend to bury you with numbers (Russia, Ming).