Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
What software is everyone using to access OSX desktop remotely?

VNC? Royal TSX? is Apple Remote Desktop overkill? How is Apple Remote Desktop really any different from VNC?

I am asking because I want to remote into my apple computer from home to do some work sometimes. Looking for a good solution. I find VNC weird with resolution sometimes depending where you're connecting from. (ie. connecting from my 2k monitor at home to a 4k retina generally isn't the greatest experience.)

lol internet. fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Jan 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

LogMeIn

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Disclaimer: Please run whatever remote solution you choose by your IT guys first. Unvetted remote access is generally never a great idea and could get you in some hot water depending on your industry.

Does your company offer VPN access? If so the easiest thing is just VPN and Remote Desktop, but admittedly you mentioned this was subpar for you. I've had good luck with MFA-enabled TeamViewer

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

lol internet. posted:

What software is everyone using to access OSX desktop remotely?

VNC? Royal TSX? is Apple Remote Desktop overkill? How is Apple Remote Desktop really any different from VNC?

I am asking because I want to remote into my apple computer from home to do some work sometimes. Looking for a good solution. I find VNC weird with resolution sometimes depending where you're connecting from. (ie. connecting from my 2k monitor at home to a 4k retina generally isn't the greatest experience.)

ARD is basically VNC with extra security stuff bolted on top. That being said, I'd recommend ARD for incoming over-the-internet connectivity over vanilla VNC.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I use RealVNC but I'm sure there is better out there.

BiG TrUcKs !!!
Feb 25, 2007

My life is the most blessed and most cursed in existence (blessed spiritually, cursed physically)
Is Keka the best free file archiver for Mac?

Spam Musubi
Jan 17, 2018

Cheap, Affordable, and Tasty!
Wrap me in rice like you would with your mother.
Anyone use Atom for text editing? If so, worthy replacement for Sublime Text?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

AutisticAwl posted:

It's slow and a battery hog. What do you need that Sublime doesn't give you?

Spam Musubi
Jan 17, 2018

Bob Morales posted:

It's slow and a battery hog. What do you need that Sublime doesn't give you?

A lot more customizable and hackable. All open-source.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

AutisticAwl posted:

If you're considering moving from Sublime to something else, just use VS Code. Code is light-years faster than Atom, and the community support is there. I moved from ST because, for what I do, VS Code included a lot of functionality out of the box that I otherwise had to install as plugins.

Performance-wise, ST and Code feel very similar, though Code will fall over if you try to open very large text files with it. It's an issue with all Electron apps, but it happens rarely enough that it's almost never worth worrying about. When it is an issue, you can open the file in ST instead :haw:

Spam Musubi
Jan 17, 2018

IAmKale posted:

If you're considering moving from Sublime to something else, just use VS Code. Code is light-years faster than Atom, and the community support is there. I moved from ST because, for what I do, VS Code included a lot of functionality out of the box that I otherwise had to install as plugins.

Performance-wise, ST and Code feel very similar, though Code will fall over if you try to open very large text files with it. It's an issue with all Electron apps, but it happens rarely enough that it's almost never worth worrying about. When it is an issue, you can open the file in ST instead :haw:

VSCode is the one where it can auto-recognize code from a mile away?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

electron editors are dogshit. stick with Sublime

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Last Chance posted:

electron editors are dogshit. stick with Sublime

I like sublime (plus I can use it on Windows/Linux) but for shits and giggles here's a list of Mac text editors:

TextWrangler/BBedit
Coda
TextMate
vim/MacVim
Emacs
Komodo
jEdit
UltraEdit
Brackets
Atom
VS Code
Eclipse
Xcode
IntelliJ

Spam Musubi
Jan 17, 2018

Bob Morales posted:

I like sublime (plus I can use it on Windows/Linux) but for shits and giggles here's a list of Mac text editors:

TextWrangler/BBedit
Coda
TextMate
vim/MacVim
Emacs
Komodo
jEdit
UltraEdit
Brackets
Atom
VS Code
Eclipse
Xcode
IntelliJ

Going to try all of them out. Thanks man.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Bob Morales posted:

TextWrangler/BBedit
Coda
TextMate
vim/MacVim
Emacs
Komodo
jEdit
UltraEdit
Brackets
Atom
VS Code
Eclipse
Xcode
IntelliJ

"I'll just start Eclipse to look at this log file"

*heat death of the universe*

*file opens*

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
You guys are paying 80 bux for a text editor? Really? (Sublime)

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

redeyes posted:

That's like asking someone, "you guys are paying $30,000 for four tires?" when they ask for car-buying advice :iiaca:

A text editor is a tool in a programmer's toolbox. As is the case in many trades, it's often worth it to pay for superior tools as they typically last longer and let you be more productive. If a cheaper/free alternative allows you to maximize your productivity then go for it, but don't dismiss something just because it costs money.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Bob Morales posted:

TextWrangler/BBedit
Coda
TextMate
vim/MacVim
Emacs
Komodo
jEdit
UltraEdit
Brackets
Atom
VS Code
Eclipse
Xcode
IntelliJ

It should be noted IntelliJ IDEA is a Java IDE by JetBrains. But they have a free community supported version (like all their products). Personally, I use PyCharm Pro which uses the same editor (same company). But it's also part of a fully fledged IDE and I've never tried it for other languages. This page will help you with which JetBrains product most serves your use case:

https://www.jetbrains.com/products.html?fromMenu

VS Code is my goto if I need to either make quick changes to some python code or writing shell scripts. It's pretty drat good.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

AutisticAwl posted:

VSCode is the one where it can auto-recognize code from a mile away?

VS Code's Intellisense stuff is really good, especially for any language with any direct support from Microsoft (C/C++, Javascript/Typescript, the various dot-net languages, etc). Some of the plugins extend that further, like some Javascript ones that will try to predict what other library files you're using and automatically insert imports for you.

Spam Musubi
Jan 17, 2018

Roadie posted:

VS Code's Intellisense stuff is really good, especially for any language with any direct support from Microsoft (C/C++, Javascript/Typescript, the various dot-net languages, etc). Some of the plugins extend that further, like some Javascript ones that will try to predict what other library files you're using and automatically insert imports for you.

Will have to try it out.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

carry on then posted:

"I'll just start Eclipse to look at this log file"

*heat death of the universe*

*file opens*

It's extreme but some people have it open all day anyway

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

AutisticAwl posted:

Slow as poo poo compared to Sublime. Honestly, I’d use VS Code if you want to use an Electron based app.

redeyes posted:

Yes - because it’s a solid and *fast* editor. I don’t get this fascination with Electron-based apps.

rufius fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jan 18, 2018

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

redeyes posted:

I got in when it was $70, but yes. I'm in my editor 6-7 hours a day so it's not that hard to justify. VSCode being a thing now makes it a tougher sell, especially if you aren't sensitive to its Electron bloat/churn. Code does what it can to mitigate it, pretty smart about responding to keystrokes while things haven't fully loaded in for example, but Sublime just doesn't have those delays in the first place.

I kinda alternate between Sublime, Code & Neo/vim.

Sublime: +Speed, +Easy, -Terminal
Code: -Speed, +Easy, +Terminal
Vim: +Speed, -Easy, +Terminal

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
The 10.13.2 Supplemental update wrecked my Mac Mini. It got stuck in a loop where it said the installer package was screwed up. I was able to boot into safe mode and then recovery mode. Tried re-downloading the update (1.6GB) and it restarted and crashed again.

I have recent Time Machine backups did a recovery boot and am trying to re-install High Sierra. What a mess.

I am really starting to think that the rMBP might be the last Mac computer I own.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jan 18, 2018

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Three-Phase posted:

The 10.13.2 Supplemental update wrecked my Mac Mini. It got stuck in a loop where it said the installer package was screwed up. I was able to boot into safe mode and then recovery mode. Tried re-downloading the update (1.6GB) and it restarted and crashed again.

I have recent Time Machine backups did a recovery boot and am trying to re-install High Sierra. What a mess.

I am really starting to think that the rMBP might be the last Mac computer I own.

Weird. How old is the Mac Mini?

On a separate note - holy loving poo poo the macOS installer is huge for High Sierra. ~23 gigs?

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I think like 2013. Spent two hours and booted with command-R and reinstalled High Sierra without a lot of fuss but it took a long time.

Can I just wait this out until the next OS update and that should “roll in” the previous update?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

There’s a 2012 and a 2014, no 2013.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Dick Nipples posted:

Weird. How old is the Mac Mini?

On a separate note - holy loving poo poo the macOS installer is huge for High Sierra. ~23 gigs?

Installer or installed footprint?

Actually, 23GB for either of those sounds horribly inaccurate. Did you download your installed from The Pirate Bay?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Proteus Jones posted:

It should be noted IntelliJ IDEA is a Java IDE by JetBrains. But they have a free community supported version (like all their products). Personally, I use PyCharm Pro which uses the same editor (same company). But it's also part of a fully fledged IDE and I've never tried it for other languages. This page will help you with which JetBrains product most serves your use case:

https://www.jetbrains.com/products.html?fromMenu

VS Code is my goto if I need to either make quick changes to some python code or writing shell scripts. It's pretty drat good.

It should also be said that JetBrains is a Good Company that gives their professional version software away for free to anyone with an .edu (or other whitelisted university email) address, so if you’re a student IMO this is the best choice.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011
Guys I use Textmate because my programmer friend told me to use it. I use it for a bit of Python once in a while is this a good choice y/n?

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
It’s a 2012. My bad.

So anyways I reinstalled High Sierra and after that the supplemental update appeared to install fine. :shrug:

I’d love to get a new Mac Mini but I think Apple has pretty much abandoned that product line.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

LPG Giant posted:

Guys I use Textmate because my programmer friend told me to use it. I use it for a bit of Python once in a while is this a good choice y/n?

Just use whatever text editor works for you. Eventually you will reach a point where you want feature X and Y and your editor doesn't do it and that's when you can shop around.

I use Sublime because a former employer bought me a personal license. Otherwise I'd probably still be using TextWrangler, because I'm cheap and I don't do much dev at home.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.
I'm kind of curious about you guys who use text editors like Sublime over IDE. I assume it's for more functional/shell based programming right?

I can't imagine someone using sublime for like, Swift or Java. Maybe C#, C++, C? But perhaps someone can clue me in on what that kind of workflow looks like. Like debugging do you use something else or do they actually have good debugging extensions? Thinking about switching over myself which is why I ask.

Fake edit: just realize people probably use them for web stuff right? Not really where I program so didn't think of that.

Nude fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jan 18, 2018

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I've never been able to get productive with vscode for Java. The better code completion and extra features (go to definition, create call/type hierarchy, find all references, etc) of an IDE designed for Java are just too embedded in my workflow.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Nude posted:

I can't imagine someone using sublime for like, Swift or Java. Maybe C#, C++, C? But perhaps someone can clue me in on what that kind of workflow looks like. Like debugging do you use something else or do they actually have good debugging extensions? Thinking about switching over myself which is why I ask.

There are plugins for IDE-like features. There's good support for project files, code completion for almost any language, code style/quality linter etc. You'd have to use an external debugger. You can easily set up a shortcut to start a debug session from Sublime. Think of it as a user-friendlier vim, not a build-your-own IDE like emacs, although you can get close. I use Sublime mostly for scripting and web work, although it's really good for Python too even large monolithic projects. It's a great replacement for vim, not a great replacement for IntelliJ or Xcode etc.

Pivo fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jan 18, 2018

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
I just use vim on the command line, TextMate for slightly bigger projects or weird file types, and Xcode for iOS work.

Of the three, vim is by far the best, it just as a loving huge learning curve.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
I tried recording a conversation on my mbp using quicktime (so it's an m4a file), and the audio picked up my voice fine but the other person is super faint, not sure why. Any free software I can use to boost the faint parts? With volume cranked all the way I can hear it, but it's a struggle.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Audacity

Edit : what you want is called compression. Not the data kind the time-frequency domain kind

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Axiem posted:

I just use vim on the command line, TextMate for slightly bigger projects or weird file types, and Xcode for iOS work.

Of the three, vim is by far the best, it just as a loving huge learning curve.

Dunno why I'm the only one who swears by nano.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Pivo posted:

Audacity

Edit : what you want is called compression. Not the data kind the time-frequency domain kind

I've found Audacity really janky and buggy over the last few years.

You'd almost be better trying GarageBand, you probably already have it.