Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Greekonomics
Jun 22, 2009

Roth posted:

I took another look at what I've been pulling, and I've cut it down significantly by cutting out a lot of the books I was just kinda enjoying, and keeping the ones I was really liking.

Hey good luck with that. I'm trying to do something similar and just pick up the books I really like and use Hoopla/Marvel Unlimited for the rest.

Greekonomics fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jan 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Roth posted:

I took another look at what I've been pulling, and I've cut it down significantly by cutting out a lot of the books I was just kinda enjoying, and keeping the ones I was really liking.

I also get rid of the Image books since I'm tired of those going on frequent hiatus' and most of them are better read in trades anyway.

So now I have reduced my pull list down from 100+ titles to 62 so far, of which quite a bit seems to be ending soon.

Jesus I buy a trade or an omnibus every so often, I have no idea how you people cope with this.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
roth i hope for all those books they gave you a percentage ownership in your lcs

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Roth posted:

I also get rid of the Image books since I'm tired of those going on frequent hiatus' and most of them are better read in trades anyway.

So now I have reduced my pull list down from 100+ titles to 62 so far, of which quite a bit seems to be ending soon.

:catstare:

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm down to $25-50 a week. No worries

site posted:

roth i hope for all those books they gave you a percentage ownership in your lcs

They're letting me keep that 25% discount I was getting, at least.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I am down to about 10 titles a month. Sadly some of those titles are bi-weekly so I am still spending the same amount of money.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

62 is crazy. I have half that on Comixology and it feels like a lot. And that's with a lot of those being on neverending hiatus. (Kaptara, you were too weird for this world.)

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I get maybe a dozen and I still don’t read most of them until the arc ends. They’re mostly indies that I just hope make it to trade in the first place.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm aware that it's still quite a bit, but I think it's way more manageable now compared to what I was doing before.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Roth posted:

I'm aware that it's still quite a bit, but I think it's way more manageable now compared to what I was doing before.

Just tell us if you need an intervention* buddy.

*I know this isn't how interventions work

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Madkal posted:

Just tell us if you need an intervention* buddy.

*I know this isn't how interventions work

:ohdear:

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Lightning Lord posted:

Jesus I buy a trade or an omnibus every so often, I have no idea how you people cope with this.

This is me, too. I like comics but I don't even have the time to read everything I buy as it is, I'd be drowning in floppies if I walked the Roth path.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Eh, I think you came into more disposable income at some point and just ended up sinking a lot of it into comics, right? I totally get it, I've done the same with other forms of entertainment. The serial nature of the form makes it a bit easier to drop regular amounts of money on it than if you just go a bit nuts buying a console and a bunch of games or something.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Jordan7hm posted:

Eh, I think you came into more disposable income at some point and just ended up sinking a lot of it into comics, right? I totally get it, I've done the same with other forms of entertainment. The serial nature of the form makes it a bit easier to drop regular amounts of money on it than if you just go a bit nuts buying a console and a bunch of games or something.

Yeah, pretty much. I started up my first job that wasn't just a temporary one month thing last year, and not having much in the way of expenses that just led to adding on more and more.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
May I introduce you into the world of.....CRAFT BEER!

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Madkal posted:

May I introduce you into the world of.....CRAFT BEER!

Please no

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Put out a cigarette on your wrist every time you buy a comic, I heard that helps you quit.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Samuringa posted:

Put out a cigarette on your wrist every time you buy a comic, I heard that helps you quit.

Where do I get a lit cigarette?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Covok posted:

Where do I get a lit cigarette?

Middle school bullies.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Switch to only buying comics when they go on sale on comixology. If you buy DC primarily you eill never spend money.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Just get a findom to tell you how much you can spend on comics

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Mr Hootington posted:

Switch to only buying comics when they go on sale on comixology. If you buy DC primarily you eill never spend money.

Normal.

Samuringa posted:

Weird.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Just get a findom to tell you how much you can spend on comics

What the gently caress?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Do you not know what findom is Covok?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The Aquaman fandom

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The problem with the findom idea is that you also have to pay the findom, so you don't end up saying anything.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
https://www.cbr.com/marvel-comics-milestone-media-1995/

Huh.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Denys Cowan has shown off a few of the sketches for this on occasion. God drat would it have been cool.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Mr Hootington posted:

Do you not know what findom is Covok?

I listen to the F+ so yes.

purple death ray posted:

The Aquaman fandom

Ba-dum chin.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

quote:

There was also a new take on Shang Chi. Here is McDuffie’s hook for that series:

There are fifteen of them and they attack as one but Shang Chi has faced more and better men countless times before. Each uses a different style, but Shang Chi responds in kind, meeting each assailant on his own ground. Fist for fist; weapon for weapon. In less than a minute, fourteen men have fallen, buying the fifteenth enough time to draw a Czech M52 – a sleek 7.62mm automatic pistol with a muzzle velocity of 1600 feet per second.

Shang Chi is faster. Before the deadly 7.62mm slug grazes him, he has drawn his own Makarov and put four neat holes into his opponent.

The Master of Kung Fu has changed his ways…

Pfffft, this is loving fantastic, I can't believe we got robbed of this alternative reality.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Of course Dwayne McDuffie predicted gun kata in nineteen ninety loving five.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Gun kata was a thing well before the matrix, but the matrix was the first time a bunch of white people did it.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Inventing gunkata is nothing to boast about.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lurdiak posted:

Gun kata was a thing well before the matrix, but the matrix was the first time a bunch of white people did it.

Gun Kata is from Equilibrium, not The Matrix

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Gun Kata is from Equilibrium, not The Matrix

Pretty sure those are the same film.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lurdiak posted:

You have said some offensive things in the past, but that is beyond the pale.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Lurdiak posted:

The Matrix wouldn't even make the top 3 things Equilibrium is ripping off is inspired by.

Covok
May 27, 2013

The Power Ranger's comic is amazing.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Covok posted:

The Power Ranger's comic is amazing.

Yeah, Sheeple loving owned. Also the comic practically revels in not being limited by either stock footage or a special effects budget, so the Rangers get a lot of interesting use out of stuff like their individual dinosaurs, or just the fact that they can teleport to places at will. It's a lot of fun.

Agent_grey
Jan 8, 2007

Scrub-a-Dub-Dub!
Comics alliance was my prime source for comic book news before it sadly went the way of the dodo. Which sites are the go to place, barring bleeding cool?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Agent_grey posted:

Comics alliance was my prime source for comic book news before it sadly went the way of the dodo. Which sites are the go to place, barring bleeding cool?

I just read this forum tbh

• Locked thread