Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Joe Slowboat posted:

As far as we know Mottom built her interdimensional hover palace - in fact, all that keeps it aloft is her terrible will.
She definitely built that, with the plunder of a hundred thousand worlds.

Abbadon said on Tumblr that it was 'rumored' to be built on the ruins of the Palace of Radiance, the home of the Master of Aesthetics (from one of the Aesma stories).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

MikeJF posted:

Abbadon said on Tumblr that it was 'rumored' to be built on the ruins of the Palace of Radiance, the home of the Master of Aesthetics (from one of the Aesma stories).

That doesn't mean she didn't build it, or that it's not her terrible will maintaining it.

The theme of the demiurges isn't just 'haha not gods' but rather the immense power and capacity for splendor that can come from ruining the world with colonial exploitation. Mottom hit that theme hard, including immortality through human sacrifice; Mammon is literally a dragon who owns a bank and built the internet. They can do amazing things, but mostly through exploitation of others. Presumably True Royalty has no need for such contrivances.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

do you think somewhere in this huge vault of priceless treasures is that rarest of gems, an alive Cio?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Joe Slowboat posted:

As far as we know Mottom built her interdimensional hover palace - in fact, all that keeps it aloft is her terrible will.
She definitely built that, with the plunder of a hundred thousand worlds.

Similarly I'd bet Mammon built Yre and its infinite interior himself, to hold the plunder of a hundred thousand worlds.

she looted and redecorated an existing palace, then ripped it out of the ground to serve as her mobile oppression fortress. That's not "building".

The whole deal with the demiurges is they can do amazing things, but they don't do any productive things. They can jury-rig the creations of others into weapons or toys for themselves on a whim, but with the power of God and millennia to explore it they're still philosophically incapable of real creation and the world around them is still just the ruins of their predecessors; that's where Zoss's efforts to learn the secrets of God failed. Tom's written a bit in some of the under-comic fluff about how that's a whole school of magic all to itself that the demiurges just... don't bother to learn.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jan 18, 2018

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

she looted and redecorated an existing palace, then ripped it out of the ground to serve as her mobile oppression fortress. That's not "building".

The whole deal with the demiurges is they can do amazing things, but they don't do any productive things. They can jury-rig the creations of others into weapons or toys for themselves, but they're philosophically incapable of substantive creation; that's where Zoss's efforts to learn the secrets of God failed. Tom's written a bit in some of the under-comic fluff about how that's a whole school of magic all to itself that the demiurges just... don't bother to learn.

In other words, they’re demiurges.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."

The whole deal with the demiurges is they can do amazing things, but they don't do any productive things. They can jury-rig the creations of others into weapons or toys for themselves, but they're philosophically incapable of substantive creation; that's where Zoss's efforts to learn the secrets of God failed. Tom's written a bit in some of the under-comic fluff about how that's a whole school of magic all to itself that the demiurges just... don't bother to learn.

IIRC, the Black Art -- creation ex nihilo -- is less "a school that the Demiurges don't bother to learn" and more considered impossible / mythical-tier magic, even for Them.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

do you think somewhere in this huge vault of priceless treasures is that rarest of gems, an alive Cio?

My dude jokes don't get better with repetition.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Motherfucker posted:

Inside the huge vault is the rarest of treasures, an intact chest of teacups.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
that huge vault contains the friends we made along the way

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

nimby posted:

Inside the huge vault is the rarest of treasures, an intact chest of teacups.

I find it hilarious.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Darth Walrus posted:

In other words, they’re demiurges.

or yeah more simply

Poltergrift posted:

IIRC, the Black Art -- creation ex nihilo -- is less "a school that the Demiurges don't bother to learn" and more considered impossible / mythical-tier magic, even for Them.

looking for the original breakdown but iirc it's a lil bit of both - it's obscure and little-practiced, not because it's impossible, but because it's the magical equivalent of learning to churn your own butter and the practitioners of Throne are more motivated by a desire to find the shortest route between them and a quick buck than by finding joy in their craftsmanship. The effect is seen everywhere - it wouldn't take the power to create matter ex nihilo to make Throne look less like a decaying mausoleum with a slum bolted to it, it'd just take a vision of what else it could be and a willingness to put in some effort that doesn't directly contribute to one's own dominance of the pile of rubble that's there now, and in the ages since the gods died nobody's taken an interest.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jan 18, 2018

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Motherfucker posted:

man i will never get used to bss's... unique culture

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

My point was not that they are in the final accounting creative; just that even the Gnostic Demiurge makes some things (broken, incomplete things, like material reality). To say that a vast empire cannot produce anything, rather than to count the cost and recognize that Mottom's wasteful opulence is funded by ravaging worlds, is a lot more boring.

My contention is that Yre is a horrible enough thing, and enough of an expression of its creator's imperfect mind, that there's no reason Mammon couldn't have built his own fractal prison-vault. it's not truly creative, it's just technically proficient.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

i'm gonna lol when it turns out Cio is Seriously Dead This Time, For Real.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
woops turns out that one of the few people who helped me nearly altruistically is broken into pieces because I didn't care, and all the pieces are lost in the endless fractal space that was once held together by a god wich I subsequently killed and collapsed the zone. :shrug:

white chain is next, and it's gonna be more than a blue needle in the eye

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

SniperWoreConverse posted:

woops turns out that one of the few people who helped me nearly altruistically
*takes out red pen*

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
That better end up on Abbadon's tumblr.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Ashcans posted:

The river is made from Mammon's tears, because he has realized the true treasure is the friends we made along the way.
So then he stole a bunch of people's friends and they built that town in the distance?

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

Quantum Toast posted:

So then he stole a bunch of people's friends and they built that town in the distance?

Nah, that's inefficient. He just stole the way along which we made the friends. Saves time and labor costs.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Is this a tiny village, or am I just seeing the perspective wrong?

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Say Nothing posted:

Is this a tiny village, or am I just seeing the perspective wrong?

It's a regular-sized village, she's just standing on a cliff, with a waterfall in front of her

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

it really, really doesn't convey the idea as "there's a huge river directly underneath this waterfall" and not "this stream continues after a four-foot drop"

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Mammon ended up owning the entire village, and loaded it up into the vault.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

This isn't just "that village Mammon owns." This is Treasuretown, a small, rural settlement in Southwestern Ynamon, far from the hustle and bustle of Dragon City or the suburban bliss of Goldsmith.

What I'm saying is that Mammon owns and has placed in his vault enough villages that the residents of his holdings have developed distinct cultural identities based on their position in his big old loot chamber.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Poltergrift posted:

This isn't just "that village Mammon owns." This is Treasuretown, a small, rural settlement in Southwestern Ynamon, far from the hustle and bustle of Dragon City or the suburban bliss of Goldsmith.

What I'm saying is that Mammon owns and has placed in his vault enough villages that the residents of his holdings have developed distinct cultural identities based on their position in his big old loot chamber.

I feel like, given the setting, it's likely that Treasuretown has been at war with Goldsmith for generations - or possibly they've all allied to defend themselves from the occasional Grand Dragon attack when Mammon decides he's hungry for some trophy humans.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
it's a good thing operant loves to draw coins

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The inhabitants are forced to repeat an unchanging routine, flawlessly performing a number of traditional events and celebrations that had been called "a cultural treasure" by some sort of UNESCO-like organism.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
For once i do agree that the visual here, specifically the perspective, is harder to parse than it should be.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Comrade Gorbash posted:

For once i do agree that the visual here, specifically the perspective, is harder to parse than it should be.

A combination of line weights and background haze would help.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

yeah I don't get the impression Mammon or Mottom do much building of anything, if the demiurges were running around creating their own universes they'd be significantly closer to the old gods than parasites feasting on their decaying corpses
Regardless, given that the high priesthood of Mammon never leave the vault, I'm pretty sure the deepest treasurevault is where they come from. There's literally a civilization and ecosystem down here and that's hilarious.

It'd also be funny if it was a pretty chill place because typically nobody is ever going to reach here.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

A.o.D. posted:

A combination of line weights and background haze would help.

I feel like the lack of atmospheric perspective is purposeful. It's an infinite fractal space; why wouldn't it be absolutely crystalline clear in every direction you look?

But yeah, totes confusing at a glance. Took me a while to parse it, too.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

You all need your eyes checked

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/Orbitaldropkick/status/954572387680473088

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccgkxP-4tVE

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
thats a fairly fuckin dubious dog imo

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

paranoid randroid posted:

thats a fairly fuckin dubious dog imo

Korgan posted:

You all need your eyes checked

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Ask the people over at @dog_rates, IMO.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

That's a lot of swords in that dog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

ThaumPenguin posted:

That's a lot of swords in that dog

Rather good as a dog but rather terrible as Sif.