Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

CommieGIR posted:

until Microsoft finds a way to make x86 and ARM cross compatbility a mainstream thing, ARM netbooks are never going to catch on with Windows.

this is exactly what they've done. it runs win32 binaries through a compatibility shim. poorly.

tbf, this was something xda managed on windows rt five years ago too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

anthonypants posted:

wasn't spark an xmpp client before cisco started using the name

Not sure on the back-end, but Spark and their XMPP client are still separate last I heard. I'd bet on them being merged long-term.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

EnergizerFellow posted:

Not sure on the back-end, but Spark and their XMPP client are still separate last I heard. I'd bet on them being merged long-term.
no, i mean it's completely unaffiliated with cisco https://igniterealtime.org/projects/spark/

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

anthonypants posted:

no, i mean it's completely unaffiliated with cisco https://igniterealtime.org/projects/spark/

Oh, just the name. It's a duplicate name, not sure if there's licensing there or not.

Cisco has both XMPP-based Jabber and Spark, which is what I thought you meant.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

trying to compete with chromebooks is plumbing new depths

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
who is buying chromebooks anyway?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

infernal machines posted:

this is exactly what they've done. it runs win32 binaries through a compatibility shim. poorly.

microsoft did the leg work for this in the 1990s for windows nt on dec alpha

it sucked then, too

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
also nobody bought the alpha NT desktops

literally the only reason to buy a windows alpha system was that sql server had special extensions to address 64 bit memory on alpha (even though windows was 32-bit only!)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

also nobody bought the alpha NT desktops

literally the only reason to buy a windows alpha system was that sql server had special extensions to address 64 bit memory on alpha (even though windows was 32-bit only!)

Oh god I'm having Flashbacks: I had to support a client that had an Alpha system running NT. It was utter garbage, which is sad because the UNIX Alpha systems were gold.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

who is buying chromebooks anyway?

schools, the elderly, people who want a portable web browse with a non-poo poo keyboard

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

CommieGIR posted:

Oh god I'm having Flashbacks: I had to support a client that had an Alpha system running NT. It was utter garbage, which is sad because the UNIX Alpha systems were gold.

the really low-end alpha systems sold for nt-only use were "value engineered" to death. they were just PCs with extremely expensive CPUs installed. i never saw these outside of like, swap meets.

the mid-range units could run unix or windows with a firmware flash. i have run across these from time to time. never running nt though

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
here is a picture of some nekochan user running windows on a dec multia, one of the low-end piece of poo poo boxes

this thing was a blazin' 233 MHz of alpha fury, back when the common x86 chip was a 60 MHz pentium. unfortunately it was not substantially faster than a 60 MHz pentium, and it cost $2,000 for the base model

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

philip p. spencer posted:

As part of this, Satya asked us to think end to end about the role of gaming on the planet, the role that we can play with our content and services that we build, and the all-up opportunity that gaming affords Microsoft in the consumer space. He asked us to make sure we’re aligned to do our best work in this place

That’s been great in driving our all-up strategy and getting us to the point where Satya was willing and eager to make the investment in gaming that he’s made, but it’s also become very clear to me that we’re going to invest more in content, which we are doing, and that a unified studios leadership organization was going to be critical to our long-term success... Matt is in charge of our current game content portfolio, but also, as we invest more in content to drive our gaming ambition, he will play the leadership role in driving that growth.

[Matt Booty] came to Microsoft from Midway, where he had a long successful career. He’s done an incredible job nurturing [Minecraft], both before we acquired Mojang and after, as Minecraft continues to grow. He has a great depth of experience in the console space, but also with games that are reaching customers on multiple devices, which is going to be important to our long-term success.

matthew p. booty posted:

Phil mentioned some of the experience we’ve had working across PC, mobile, and console, even on other platforms outside of Xbox, with Minecraft. I was set up well to do some of that with the work I did when I first came to Xbox, working on Windows Phone and being a part of the teams launching games for Windows 8 and Windows 10. I think that will be a place where I’ll be able to add value, as we look at the studios getting behind the big bets we’ve got lined up.

totally quote-mined, but that's sure a lot of talk about other platforms

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

quote:

Spencer: The discussions with the senior leadership team at Microsoft, and Satya Nadella specifically, are really around the gaming opportunity globally for Microsoft, across all aspects of what we do. There are more than a billion gamers on the planet today. We reach a small portion of those with the work we’re doing. We love the work and the console experiences we’re delivering there. That’s the core to our brand and our value, what our customers love us for. But there’s also an opportunity for us to do more, to continue to expand where we reach customers.

PleasureKevin fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jan 19, 2018

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
is phil spencer a knockoff phil schiller

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

PleasureKevin posted:

totally quote-mined, but that's sure a lot of talk about other platforms

they've pushed office for osx, ios, and android. ms doesn't give a gently caress if they own the platform, as long as you're on that sweet sweet subscription licensing

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

on one end pleasurekevin is right that microsoft is likely to try to build on what they have learned from minecraft being a continued success, but the xbox going away (or even turning whitebox) is just nonsense, even the huge stumble with the bone had it sells a lot of units, and is a solid foothold in the niche

if the next one does worse maybe, but the numbers we know are not nearly as bad as gets implied

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

if the next one does worse maybe, but the numbers we know are not nearly as bad as gets implied

this is Microsoft. their most distinguishable feature is that they always maintain the illusion that everything's going fine. then a couple years later the stories come out that everything was worse than anyone imagined. so when folks says sales are bad, I think they're probably worse and Microsoft is secretly dumping consoles and games in bangladesh to pad numbers.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

maybe they should learn how to turn the xbox into a good console instead of a slow piece of poo poo that couldnt even output 1080p for the vast majority of it's lifecycle? weird that people dont like a gaming console that is insanely bad for gaming

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

https://twitter.com/drcullenphd/status/953639289962758144

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

i'd love to have been in the meeting where they decided that putting an hdmi input on the xbone made sense, because if there is one thing the 10-35 year old demographic loves, it's watching traditional tv* and unnecessarily wasting an additional 100+ watts of electricity while doing it.

then again, this is the company who tries to reach young people by dressing middle-aged spokesmen like a teenage skateboarder and shaving their head or giving them a justin bieber haircut to hide how old they are

*unless you use an antenna, because that typically doesn't involve an external box

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

reminder that they'd envisioned the xbone as a household media centre to take over the role of a multi-input tuner or cable box, without being able to do most of the things that those devices still do today

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

The_Franz posted:

i'd love to have been in the meeting where they decided that putting an hdmi input on the xbone made sense, because if there is one thing the 10-35 year old demographic loves, it's watching traditional tv* and unnecessarily wasting an additional 100+ watts of electricity while doing it.

then again, this is the company who tries to reach young people by dressing middle-aged spokesmen like a teenage skateboarder and shaving their head or giving them a justin bieber haircut to hide how old they are

*unless you use an antenna, because that typically doesn't involve an external box

of all the things to criticize

the upper end of that demographic spergs out about a/v and probably loves the idea of a single box to rule them all

the lower end of that demographic has a dad who does the same

no one has ever cared about power consumption in a fixed station device

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

flakeloaf posted:

reminder that they'd envisioned the xbone as a household media centre to take over the role of a multi-input tuner or cable box, without being able to do most of the things that those devices still do today

yes the mistake was not the vision

great idea, no execution

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

PleasureKevin posted:

this is Microsoft. their most distinguishable feature is that they always maintain the illusion that everything's going fine. then a couple years later the stories come out that everything was worse than anyone imagined. so when folks says sales are bad, I think they're probably worse and Microsoft is secretly dumping consoles and games in bangladesh to pad numbers.

haha, microsofts grand plan is to manipulate xbox sales numbers up by dumping consoles in places away from industry analysts, while the only known numbers for how many consoles they are selling are analysts estimates since microsoft doesn't actually publish numbers themselves?

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

haha, microsofts grand plan is to manipulate xbox sales numbers up by dumping consoles in places away from industry analysts, while the only known numbers for how many consoles they are selling are analysts estimates since microsoft doesn't actually publish numbers themselves?

i'm the top industry analyst and I go to bangladesh all the time. for work.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

The_Franz posted:

they released it in Europe without support for 50hz so it would just run at 60hz and the picture would be jerky as hell

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

"you know what the future is? CABLE BOXES" -microsoft executive, ca 2012

i mean its not like someone else tried hdmi overlay with a cable box and ir blasting to control it within the past year or so

like just go whole hog and put a loving MCard slot in the loving thing and have a coax input. or bribe tivo to write an xbox app

or do loving none of it and just make a game console because subscription cable is a dead man walking

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jan 19, 2018

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

of all the things to criticize

the upper end of that demographic spergs out about a/v and probably loves the idea of a single box to rule them all

the lower end of that demographic has a dad who does the same

no one has ever cared about power consumption in a fixed station device

they sperg out about hdr and atmos and whatever other new buzzword tech manufacturers cram into comic book movies and living room devices to try and get people to constantly buy new equipment, not being able to plug the cable box they probably don't have into their game machine. that demographic (and the parents of the younger ones) are the ones abandoning $100 a month traditional cable and satellite services en masse in favor of ott services.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

they released it in Europe without support for 50hz so it would just run at 60hz and the picture would be jerky as hell

:eyepop:

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

i know what you guys are thinking

"Microsoft? Completely screwing the pooch by having 8000 middle managers involved in a project and having no real goal? IMPOSSIBLE"

but let me tell you, its true

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

indeed. and pro-xboxers were flabbergasted and couldn't fathom why european tv was still at 50hz, after all digital got rid of all of that right? :downs:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

tbqh i suspect no one is more surprised than the xbox team that they are still in it, given that the ps4 ended up being better in just about every way at every point. would never argue for the worth of the xbone as a product, just that microsoft won't let the line go after nonetheless selling 35+ million of them and no doubt gouging some very decent subscription money out of people

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

iirc the team that designed the original xbone were dumped and the new guys they brought in went 'hey what if we made a fuckin video game thing that does video games like we were supposed to' but by that time sony had such a lead they seem to have settled on porting everything to pc

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

funny to think that there was a point where the senior management at microsoft not only thought that required kinect was a good idea they thought it was such a good idea they were willing to make their system more expensive to do it. I bet none of them had ever actually used a kinect or if they did it was super carefully constructed demos, the middle managers certainly had enough feedback from the 360 to know what was wrong with it

not that leaving it out would have made that much of a difference but if it had come out at 450 or 429 instead of 500 it at least wouldn't have got clobbered quite so hard. it's also almost spooky how they almost exactly repeated sony's mistake with the ps3 of trying to create the mythical "home entertainment convergence device" instead of a dedicated game console

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

qirex posted:

it's also almost spooky how they almost exactly repeated sony's mistake with the ps3 of trying to create the mythical "home entertainment convergence device" instead of a dedicated game console
how much money has been flushed away over the last 25 years chasing that dream? i can see why companies would want an integrated device that owns the living room, a playstation but for the 100% of homes that watch tv and not just the 10% that play video games and also has a digital store and subscription revenue, but why has every effort to make the ultimate convergence device been such a disaster?

apple came closest - they articulated a "digital hub" strategy based around the mac and when one part of that strategy really took off (the ipod), they junked the digital hub trategy and went all-in on on mobile entertainment and communication devices (and are now closing in on a trillion-dollar valuation)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

remember webtv?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

*stumbles in out of breath* r.. remember... guy.. got banned from SA.. *pant* he.. using ...webtv. *throws up*

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

remember webtv?
thats what i was thinking of when I wrote "25 years"

i also remember the huge push in the late 90s for interactive cable tv set-top boxes to rule everything (which was one of the main alleged drivers of the aol/time warner deal)

oh and the brief window when plugging a cablecard into your pc going to be the next big thing

so much effort and money expended over decades, and customers stayed away in droves every time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

FMguru posted:

oh and the brief window when plugging a cablecard into your pc going to be the next big thing

this would have been as niche as htpcs in general, but also lol at what a gigantic loving shitshow the cable providers made the entire process