Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

dexefiend posted:

The T7 does make a big difference. Against a 190pt Predator with 11 wounds, Assault Hellblasters 'break even' in 1.5 turns of shooting. Against a Assault Cannon Razorback, it is 2.3 turns. It works out to about 1.33 wounds per dude.

Against T7, the Heavy ones fall back in relation to the Assault ones. They have an expected damage of .9 wounds per dude.

I would just stress that having your anti-tank stuff wound on 5s, or your target making lots of saves sucks.

(I am calculating (points paid per wound done)/(point paid per wound on the target model) as my break even calculation. I am using this to try and balance my mathhammer between infantry and vehicles.)

So I stole dexefiend's idea and added a column for "Points to Return Value" to the sheet.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1bnhKYhQpHBdENLeHJksqNICwCRlglS9KwcuUufr-IdI/edit?usp=sharing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
It'll probably be best for something like Scions, who can deep strike alongside the terminator Custode with the Vexillia, and have a low save already. Even then it'd be better for something with a 5+, though I can't think of anything that. Heavy Weapons teams could also work.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

MasterSlowPoke posted:

It'll probably be best for something like Scions, who can deep strike alongside the terminator Custode with the Vexillia, and have a low save already. Even then it'd be better for something with a 5+, though I can't think of anything that. Heavy Weapons teams could also work.

Might be fun for 30 Dark Angel Hellblasters.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Azrael's way better for that.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Azrael's way better for that.

Can confirm.

Sergeant Janus is coming along nicely.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

No-scatter deepstrike went a massive way into fixing terminators too. Now they can reliably actually get where they can be useful.
I agree with a caveat. Reliable deep striking and the ability to charge afterwards is fantastic. Threading that 9" bubble can be a little difficult sometimes, but that inconvenience is worth it. Charges are possible, but not easy and I've flubbed a few even with a command re-roll. I think they've struck a good balance there.

However, I miss the synergy of Ravenwing and Deathwing. They hardly interact at all in 8th and don't even have a combined stratagem to promote mixed lists. There is a maelstrom objective card though. :wtc: Deathwing terminators lack the teleport homer ability of vanilla terminators and I know Deathwatch are only able to do it by including a bike squad. Could have done the same thing pretty easily since the precedent is already established and planting teleport homers is kind of a Ravenwing thing. Or they could have had a stratagem to allow Deathwing units to deep strike within 6" of the enemy if within 6" of a biker unit, whatever. There were cool options and they didn't take them. :reject:

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Artum posted:

Can confirm.

Sergeant Janus is coming along nicely.

Bit of a newb question, but what are those little tricorder this model and others are holding?

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Blightlord Terminators are hilariously durable and dangerous. T5, Sv2+/4++, and Disgustingly Resilient makes them play like how I want all Terminators to. I fielded a unit against a Raven Guard shooting list, dropping them about nine inches away from his Devastators. He fired sixlascannons, his Predator autocannons, and a ton of boltguns at them and managed to inflict a whopping 2 Wounds (after I passed 5 of 6 DR rolls :getin:). He just kind of stared down at his entire army having unloaded on one unit to almost no effect and said "welp."

They then proceeded to flub their charge, force his heavy weapons and vehicles to move, soaked another turn of shooting to heavier losses (losing two models), and then cut the Devastators and his Warlord Captain to pieces.

TheBigAristotle posted:

Bit of a newb question, but what are those little tricorder this model and others are holding?

That's a signum. In-game it grants a +1 to hit bonus to one model in the unit.
Nope, Artum is right.

PierreTheMime fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jan 18, 2018

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

TheBigAristotle posted:

An auspex, pretty much a general sensor.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Artum posted:

An auspex, pretty much a general sensor.

They don't really have rules anymore, but they're a neat bit just to give a model a techy/Aliens motion tracker feel.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Ahaha, holy poo poo Khorne daemon princes wreck poo poo. I ran one as my HQ in a 1k game with wings, the talisman of burning blood and malefic talons and he went through a unit 5 terminators on his own in two turns. Definitely gonna keep him around as a "gently caress synergy, punch faces" option.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Ahaha, holy poo poo Khorne daemon princes wreck poo poo. I ran one as my HQ in a 1k game with wings, the talisman of burning blood and malefic talons and he went through a unit 5 terminators on his own in two turns. Definitely gonna keep him around as a "gently caress synergy, punch faces" option.

They're one of the only ways for Chaos Space Marines to get to reroll hits of 1, which allows you to punch faces synergistically. For Khorne armies where your Daemon Prince is probably nearby other units in the scrum, it's one of the best options.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

daemon princes are beatsticks par excellence and they are almost always my goto for my warlord, especially since thousand sons really need the high strength punching they can bring

other good options are leviathan dreads with the grav bombard and a claw/drill, as soulfucker found out when mine ate three carnifexes, old one eye, and his tyrant over three turns with a little psychic help from ahriman

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
Finding it hard to get my hands on a stock land raider these days, had there been a run on the kit, or is it just the usual GW restock delay?

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Immanentized posted:

Finding it hard to get my hands on a stock land raider these days, had there been a run on the kit, or is it just the usual GW restock delay?

GW restock delay, plus I think they went web only. There should be some available on ebay out of the talons of the emperor box, but until I remembered to look for those I spent several months trying to get a few stock land raiders.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

SRM posted:

Yup! It also serves as a nice backdrop for everything without being physically intrusive.

This week on the :siren:40k Badcast:siren:, I fanboy about Stormtroopers for 83 minutes:
https://40kbadcast.com/2018/01/16/40k-badcast-24-our-first-coherent-episode/

Mods, please change my name to "A Couple of Robot Suit Guys (who were also Tau)"

Do you guys have any good pictures of the different types of Tempestus Scions? I'm having a bad google day.

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

Even for BoLS this is outstandingly stupid:

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2018/01/40k-op-ed-alternating-actions-would-kill-40k.html

This is an op-ed that professes to make an argument for why alternating activations would "kill" 40k. The reason the author gives is "it wouldn't be 40k" without the current turn structure. This rests on the idea that players moving all their units on their turns is a core part of the Warhammer experience and could not be removed without inventing a new game. I get that their writers are churning out 250 word articles just to get clicks and comments but even by that standard this is just so bad.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Well, see, that's where you're wrong. Nothing is too stupid for BoLS.

Someone here got it very right that the best thing GW has done for us with their new outreach is that we don't have to go to BoLS or Faeit ever again.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Whats 8thed balance like so far? It's interesting to see all the unit discussion, seeing as just 1-2 years ago the consensus on balance was basically "everything is broken, take whatever you think is cool because otherwise you'll only play 3 factions and 4 diff units each" ala the mighty Flyrant army.

Obviously stuff without codexes yet will be behind, but have they managed to keep up with the quality they set with the Genestealer Cult & Thousand Sons codexes? Those were crazy good wrt mixing balance and flavor.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
I like the idea of alternating activations, especially for it removing those games where you go 2nd and have to wait through 20 minutes of being alpha-struck before you get to retalliate.

But my army is 15 units and I know my dumb rear end will activate something twice.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

Gilgameshback posted:

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2018/01/40k-op-ed-alternating-actions-would-kill-40k.html

This is an op-ed that professes to make an argument for why alternating activations would "kill" 40k. The reason the author gives is "it wouldn't be 40k" without the current turn structure. This rests on the idea that players moving all their units on their turns is a core part of the Warhammer experience and could not be removed without inventing a new game. I get that their writers are churning out 250 word articles just to get clicks and comments but even by that standard this is just so bad.

Lmaooooooo

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Gilgameshback posted:

My last experience was Bolt Action, which if you're not aware is a system where everyone throws a colored die into a bucket for every unit they have, and one at a time is picked at random to determine the activation order. It was cool.

I wondered why 40k didn't do this or a more alternate-action thing with a shared turn, but figured I had no position to complain from after only playing a few games. I also thought that discussion was probably done to death and everyone just accepted that 40k was going to stay this way. Guess people are actually talking about it?

I do think it's odd that the fight phase works sort of that way, but no other phase does, and there's a CP option to interrupt which no other phase has.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Artum posted:

I like the idea of alternating activations, especially for it removing those games where you go 2nd and have to wait through 20 minutes of being alpha-struck before you get to retalliate.

But my army is 15 units and I know my dumb rear end will activate something twice.

I've never seen somebody come up with a solution for doing alternating activation in 40k that doesn't sound clunky. Tokens seem like the most likely way to go about things but I think that would seem sort of weird.
I love the concept because it would do a lot to mitgate the issues the game has with alpha strikes etc. at the moment, I just don't know that it really fits the scale at which most people play.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

I mentioned it in the Keep Painting thread, but I ordered some Primaris Space Marines from eBay (one of the Intercessor squads from the KNF box). So that's basically my first brand new GW minis in general, and SM in particular, in almost a decade.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Pendent posted:

I've never seen somebody come up with a solution for doing alternating activation in 40k that doesn't sound clunky. Tokens seem like the most likely way to go about things but I think that would seem sort of weird.
I love the concept because it would do a lot to mitgate the issues the game has with alpha strikes etc. at the moment, I just don't know that it really fits the scale at which most people play.
Bolt Action is a similar scale as 40k and handles it pretty well. The two players dump a die for each of their units into a bag. The dice are drawn one-by-one at random and the owning player gets to assign the die to one of their units which then activates. The die is then left by the unit to indicate they've been activated and the official dice have the orders printed on them in place of the usual pips so players can see what each unit actually did. I like this system because it's not a typical I-go-you-go layout and sometimes a player can get lucky and hit a solid streak of 3+ activations. I think this was done to try and reflect the rough nature of battlefield communications during WWII. There are ways to mitigate this, however. When you activate an officer, for example, you get to activate a certain number of nearby units as well, depending on the officer's rank.

40k's unit actions would need to completely change to fit the new turn structure. It can't be done as a simple port to alternating activations. Well, it could, but it would be pretty sloppy. They also probably couldn't get away with stealing the Bolt Action system since it was dreamt up at least in part by Rick Priestley.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Neurolimal posted:

Whats 8thed balance like so far? It's interesting to see all the unit discussion, seeing as just 1-2 years ago the consensus on balance was basically "everything is broken, take whatever you think is cool because otherwise you'll only play 3 factions and 4 diff units each" ala the mighty Flyrant army.

Obviously stuff without codexes yet will be behind, but have they managed to keep up with the quality they set with the Genestealer Cult & Thousand Sons codexes? Those were crazy good wrt mixing balance and flavor.

The balance in 8th Edition has been really good, honestly. There are a few bits that are not optimal (like Ultramarines outshining the rest of the Space Marine bunch), but otherwise things have been good. I honestly can't think of a codex that is above-and-beyond others the way I could back in 6th/7th. Everything has a chance, which is weird.

Also Flyrant armies are still insanely good. Considering I invested heavily enough in them in the "dire times" (2010-2017), I'm okay with that.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

Pendent posted:

It could be done, and it'd make the game better. Things would have to change, for sure.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
What's wrong with the current turn system?

Also, does Rogue Trader = 40K 1st Edition? I always Rogue Trader was a spin-off tabletop RPG

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Farecoal posted:

Also, does Rogue Trader = 40K 1st Edition? I always Rogue Trader was a spin-off tabletop RPG

rogue trader was the 1st edition released in 87, and it was also an rpg released in 09

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Farecoal posted:

What's wrong with the current turn system?

IGOUGO encourages alpha strikes, makes it so one player basically checks out for a half hour to an hour, and takes less strategic thinking

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
Rather than implement an entire alternating activation system, which I'm in favor for but needs a lot of additional work to make work (the assault phase is where you need to start suggesting non-elegant solutions like doing two rounds of combat), I'd suggest trying out adding two strategems to the game: Each costs 2 CP and one lets you move out of turn in the opponent's movement phase (at the cost of moving in the following turn) and the other lets you shoot out of turn in the opponent's shooting phase (at the cost of shooting during your following turn). Basically, treat them like the fight phase strategem only for movement/shooting. Those fit into the game's current framework and help seriously mitigate the strength of Alpha strikes, and also allow the current player to always get the first action on their turn.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
As someone learning to play, losing initiative and getting alpha striked sucks, but at the same time it's a hard way to learn deployment lessons. The only thing you can do to mitigate that is deploying properly. One game I thought I covered my back, but I left a small gap 9" away in a corner where my opponent put down some Khorne Bersekers and annihilated half my army before I said let's re-rack and try again.

Outside of deploying properly, I can't think of much you can do other than rely on pure luck. My ace in the hole is that Kronos strategem that forces my opponent to roll one die on a psychic test instead of two. It's not much, but combined with Shadow in the Warp and a deny it feels like a Counterspell.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

TheChirurgeon posted:

Rather than implement an entire alternating activation system, which I'm in favor for but needs a lot of additional work to make work (the assault phase is where you need to start suggesting non-elegant solutions like doing two rounds of combat), I'd suggest trying out adding two strategems to the game: Each costs 2 CP and one lets you move out of turn in the opponent's movement phase (at the cost of moving in the following turn) and the other lets you shoot out of turn in the opponent's shooting phase (at the cost of shooting during your following turn). Basically, treat them like the fight phase strategem only for movement/shooting. Those fit into the game's current framework and help seriously mitigate the strength of Alpha strikes, and also allow the current player to always get the first action on their turn.

I like these, they probably need the same stipulation of being after an enemy unit has x otherwise they'd just wipe out a key unit before you got to move.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
So alternating activation would be moving one unit at a time?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Artum posted:

I like these, they probably need the same stipulation of being after an enemy unit has x otherwise they'd just wipe out a key unit before you got to move.

Yeah, you couldn't activate them until the opponent had moved or shot with a single unit, respectively.

Farecoal posted:

So alternating activation would be moving one unit at a time?

It would either be "I move a unit, you move a unit" until all movement is done, then "I shoot a unit, you shoot a unit, I shoot..." until all shooting is done, then repeat for Assaults (though if you wanted to do this, you'd have to have two back-to-back assault phases to account for how turns are structured, or it'd be "I pick one unit to move, shoot, and assault, then you pick one ot move, shoot, and assault, then me, then you, etc"

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Handling assault/close combat is way easier than you guys are making it out to be in an alternating activation system. All you need to do is fight the close combat phase as it is now (with both sides involved rolling their CC attacks) any time either unit activates. The only time it gets even remotely complicated is when you have one unit from Army A in close combat with two (or more) units from Army B, and even then it's a pretty simple matter of only letting models in CC with an activated unit fight when that unit activates.

Alternating activation in 40K is dead simple, we've done it occasionally since 4th Edition, and it has pretty much always made the game better. The Bolt Action system (with random draws) would be even better.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Ilor posted:

Alternating activation in 40K is dead simple, we've done it occasionally since 4th Edition, and it has pretty much always made the game better. The Bolt Action system (with random draws) would be even better.

How much did it slow things down? What size games were you playing?

I think alternating detachment activations might be a good way to do it, but the detachments themselves would obviously need to be completely restructured depending on the kind of play you want to encourage. Alternating unit by unit sounds clunky as gently caress unless you’re playing with chess clocks—my opponents have more than enough analysis paralysis already.

(Not you, Arven.)

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I've seen people say AA would take longer and I can't really believe it. I've played numerous AA games and IGOUGO games and when you give someone an entire 'turn' to move and shoot their stuff it takes a long rear end time. There is no urgency. If we're each taking turns moving stuff it moves rapidly and there really isn't a problem.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
so I have one flyrent with HVC, should I be boring and make the other I have the same? I don't really want the swarmlord at the moment, but at the same time I feel like a walkrent is missing out on a lot other then fitting in cases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
In the meantime, proper mission design and a terrain heavy board can help a lot.

A local tourney has had great success with missions with progressive scoring with most of the scoring happening at the end of the battle round(and thus the second player's turn. First player gets the alpha strike, but the second player gets a chance to shoot units off objectives, run their units to cap points unmolested, etc... Second player has a whole world of opportunities and tactical gameplay opened up for them in exchange for the alpha.

Those have been some of the most fun games I've played and it makes going first vs second into an actual choice.

I should ask the organizer for a campaign packet I can share here, given how often I gush about his missions.