Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

AtomikKrab posted:

You already know the answer

:ese:

I guessed it was like that. It only works when the family is completely gone, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Soho Joe posted:

769 Magyar RIP 867 Magyar: Completely pillaged most of Europe and conquered the steppes during 200 years. My clans joined almost every war, I had Byzantium and Arabia as extremely powerful tributaries, and I was ready to settle down as a Republic with 25k gold and numerous Chinese boons and a lot of tech points. But I wait to settle until I pillage one last city, and my ruler dies abruptly. I mostly ignored succession because my family is prolific and I have so many treasury boons. But because I play with default equal rights, I am now an elderly woman in an ancient non-matrilineal marriage with no playable heir regardless of how I settle or who I kill or marry. The option to create a republic is unavailable, and I'm pretty sure I'd still lose even if I could enact it now.

Whats wrong with 867 Magyar? I was thinking about giving them a go

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Is there a reason I cant assign commanders to my army? I have multiple titled commanders, but this happens

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

DJ Dizzy posted:

Is there a reason I cant assign commanders to my army? I have multiple titled commanders, but this happens

If they serve on your council and are otherwise busy fabricating claims or training troops, then you can't assign them to lead armies. Same deal if they are in prison or on pilgrimage/haji, secluded in their castle because of a disease outbreak, withdrawn in seclusion to meditate/pray, etc.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

That would explain it. Thanks!

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

DJ Dizzy posted:

That would explain it. Thanks!
Yeah, hover over them in the honorary title view and see if they're listed as something else than commander

also, your vassals have a tendency to randomly faff off and do their own things, especially if they have low opinion of you

So what you can do instead, is to go into the character finder, checking the "will join court" option and then men and just sorting by martial score

Voila! A whole heap of possible commanders with far fewer attachments, in a way.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Is it wrong to hope for one's mother to die? Because if it is, I don't want to be right.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

If it were me I'd eat the kinslayer trait to knock her off sooner so that I had more time to get a grip on my new empire.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Honky Dong Country posted:

If it were me I'd eat the kinslayer trait to knock her off sooner so that I had more time to get a grip on my new empire.

Plot power is still low. (Im trying)

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

This makes me want someone to archive some of the more crazy stories in CK2 with an advice column framing.

"Would poison or manure be a better way to kill my inbred older son so my genius younger son can inherit my throne?

Signed,
Concerned"

CascadeBeta fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jan 18, 2018

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

"Dear Joan,

Is it appropriate to take my aunt as a concubine if I can't find three unrelated Zunists?

Yours,

Sun King"

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Dear Sally,

The local law won't allow matrilineal marriages but I have a niece that inherited some land and I need their children to be of my dynasty for it to stay in the family. I'm considering marrying her to her cousin, my son. Does that make me a bad person?

Signed,
DEF NOT AROUSED RN

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

Is "the bastard" an honorific unique to duke William or can any bastard ruler get the title?

I want to see if I can get a dynasty ruled exclusively by bastard children

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Jedit posted:

"Dear Joan,

Is it appropriate to take my aunt as a concubine if I can't find three unrelated Zunists?

Yours,

Sun King"

Dear Sarah,

I just sacrificed the Pope to the Aesir and took the Pope's Cathar daughter as a concubine, both taken prisoner when I sacked Rome, so I could have her turn me Cathar as the first step in my plan to convert Scandinavia to feminism.

Will God be okay with this?

Sincerely,

King Einar the Betrayer

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
Okay, I don't know what happened with my wife's claim, but I was able to take England on my next generation. First time creating the Empire of Brittania, so that was excellent.

Some crazy poo poo is going on in the rest of the world though.

:stare: The AI did something here.

Have some mongol border gore.

I thought I screenshotted the religious makeup, but I guess I didn't. All of Iberia, down into north Africa and through Tunisia is now all catholic. A giant catholic emirate took over in the early 1100's, and I have no idea how it happened.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
How can a princess of the Abbadid Sultanate join the faction to lower crown authority in Eire?

Also lol at Serbia in that second picture.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Lucas Archer posted:

Okay, I don't know what happened with my wife's claim, but I was able to take England on my next generation. First time creating the Empire of Brittania, so that was excellent.

Some crazy poo poo is going on in the rest of the world though.

:stare: The AI did something here.

Have some mongol border gore.

I thought I screenshotted the religious makeup, but I guess I didn't. All of Iberia, down into north Africa and through Tunisia is now all catholic. A giant catholic emirate took over in the early 1100's, and I have no idea how it happened.

I had the same thing happen to africa in... 790 because the muslim sultan of africa took on a christian wife and she educated the kid who would inherit... made it much harder to seize the duchy of Tunis.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Torrannor posted:

How can a princess of the Abbadid Sultanate join the faction to lower crown authority in Eire?

Also lol at Serbia in that second picture.

Looks like she is now a vassal countess in Eire, but keeps Princess as her form of address since it has higher dignity.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Yeah a lot of the time I see princes and princesses keep their title when they go do other things.

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

"I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who beat you, and pray for them to beat the shit out of the Buckeyes" - The Book of Witten
Has anyone else had the game bug out with this?

I was Emperor of Britannia, won the Kingdom of Jerusalem in a Crusade. I vassalized the Hospitallers and the Templars as Duke-level titles. Eventually, the Templars ran riot and I made the Grand Master of the Templars the King of Syria. When his vassals would die, their heirs would take over and be immediately independent.

Is making the Templars/Hospitallers into kings broken?

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

I'm attempting a Jew run as Gideon in Abyssinia - did the whole vassalise thing, got the ultimate goal of making Israel. I lucked out and ended up with a Jewish King who I've since overthrown and now we're a happily Jewish kingdom.

HOWEVER at some point we all became Samaritans. Some generations down the line I thought the "Abandon Heresy" button meant "stop being a Samartian and be a normal Jew", but it turns out that instead it's gone... the other way around? I'm a Samaritan and all my vassals are Jews which is a Samaritan heresy.

I've converted a few people to what I guess is now the norm, but how big of a gently caress up was this? What issues can I expect down the line (other than vassals hating me for not being the correct Jew)? An understanding of the mechanics of heresies eludes me.

Edit: I guess I misread it. The Samartian heresy became normal Jewiness, so as regular Jews we were the heretics. So I guess the question really is why don't I read the loving event boxes when they happen? But also how big of a deal is it that Samaritan has taken over?

Nobody Interesting fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jan 18, 2018

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

guns for tits posted:

Is "the bastard" an honorific unique to duke William or can any bastard ruler get the title?

I want to see if I can get a dynasty ruled exclusively by bastard children

Not at home so I can't check the files directly, but according to the wiki you can pick the title up through normal play:

the Bastard posted:

Age at least 10, male Bastard or Legitimized bastard.

(Although that being said, I don't think I've ever seen it come up for me during normal play, and I've had plenty of bastards!)

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Major Isoor posted:

Not at home so I can't check the files directly, but according to the wiki you can pick the title up through normal play:

(Although that being said, I don't think I've ever seen it come up for me during normal play, and I've had plenty of bastards!)

Were any of them rulers?

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Technowolf posted:

Were any of them rulers?

Oh yeah, I've had loads of legitimized bastard rulers/characters - most of them ended up with one of the more generic titles much later on in life, (you know, like "the Ill-Ruler" and "the Wise" that always used to crop up. Can't think of the other main ones right now) after decades of going without a nickname/title.
Bit disappointing really, but I might just have bad luck with this kind of thing. (Hell, I think the most interesting/unique title I've had was "the Ironside", which was quite humorous as that character had just lost a Norse duel weeks prior to getting the nickname, due to his opponent shoving an axe into his side! :haw:)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Major Isoor posted:

Oh yeah, I've had loads of legitimized bastard rulers/characters - most of them ended up with one of the more generic titles much later on in life, (you know, like "the Ill-Ruler" and "the Wise" that always used to crop up. Can't think of the other main ones right now) after decades of going without a nickname/title.
Bit disappointing really, but I might just have bad luck with this kind of thing. (Hell, I think the most interesting/unique title I've had was "the Ironside", which was quite humorous as that character had just lost a Norse duel weeks prior to getting the nickname, due to his opponent shoving an axe into his side! :haw:)

Wiki says the only titles that belong to historical figures and can't be earned by characters in-game are:

the Crusader
the Fearless
the Martyr
the Unlucky
the Restorer
the Ill-Tempered
the Heathen
the Jackal
the Boneless
the Stranger
the Bald
the Stammerer
the German
the Younger
Hardrade
Lodbrok
Bluetooth
Snake-in-the-eye
Fairhair
Whiteshirt
Hardeknud
Wartooth
Ring

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Best one I got was 'the Turbulent River Dragon". His rule was relatively peaceful and not really near a major river, but whatever.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I wish I had the counter-historical guts to take a Horde far enough west for my ruler to be called Slayer of the English.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I wish I had the counter-historical guts to take a Horde far enough west for my ruler to be called Slayer of the English.

Go further, Scourge of the Spanish! The inquisition never expects you!

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Nobody Interesting posted:

Edit: I guess I misread it. The Samartian heresy became normal Jewiness, so as regular Jews we were the heretics. So I guess the question really is why don't I read the loving event boxes when they happen? But also how big of a deal is it that Samaritan has taken over?

I've never played a Jewish heresy, but looking at the wiki, it sounds like they can't reinstate the high priest of Israel, which also means they don't get great holy wars.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Effectively what happened is regular judaism morale authority dropped to the point that they became the heresy, like you see with Byzantium and the whole ICONOCLASM IS NOW THE REAL ORTHODOX FAITH. Raise up the original Judaism enough and it will flip back.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Yeah seriously neither of the two Jewish heresies are worth a poo poo since neither can have a religious head. Samaritan and Karaite are both completely pointless.

Source: I've played a cubic rear end-ton of Jewish games and from looking at the pros/cons of the Jewish heresies as they crop up, both are objectively inferior to orthodox Judaism in CK2.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jan 19, 2018

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Making it so heresies lose the structure of the organized religion is dumb, but I guess they didn't want to worry about dueling popes (outside of the pope/antipope system).

The nature of religion is really weird in CK2.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

AtomikKrab posted:

Effectively what happened is regular judaism morale authority dropped to the point that they became the heresy, like you see with Byzantium and the whole ICONOCLASM IS NOW THE REAL ORTHODOX FAITH. Raise up the original Judaism enough and it will flip back.

It's not a moral authority thing - it's about how many provinces are following the faith. With something like Judaism where there are going to be very few, even flipping a couple of provinces to a heresy can cause it to become the new orthodoxy. But it should be just as easy to flip it back.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

What's a good not-Italy merchant republic start? Up in the north in Scandinavia seems like it'd suffer from being stuck in no-money town (or even worse, constantly getting my coffers emptied by vikings), and my one run of Nefoud > Arabia > Republic went a little sour and I don't wanna take another shot at that.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

GO gently caress YOURSELF posted:

Has anyone else had the game bug out with this?

I was Emperor of Britannia, won the Kingdom of Jerusalem in a Crusade. I vassalized the Hospitallers and the Templars as Duke-level titles. Eventually, the Templars ran riot and I made the Grand Master of the Templars the King of Syria. When his vassals would die, their heirs would take over and be immediately independent.

Is making the Templars/Hospitallers into kings broken?

It's not precisely a bug. Holy orders (and mercenary companies) are duchy level titles that follow their own special inheritance mechanics, open elective. But higher tier titles override these inheritance laws. So if the head of a holy order or mercenary company becomes king, their main title (the kingdom) will follow normal feudal succession. And their lower level titles will go along with it, as long as it's not gavelkind. At this point, the holy order will be inherited normally alongside the kingdom.

The problem will usually solve itself, because members of holy orders cannot marry. Wait until you inherit Syria and the Templars, then you can give out the holy order to a duke or lower level (direct) vassal to restore everything to normal.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Nothing to do with the game - how do you get that event log box at the bottom?

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
None of the muslim characters on this page have a 769 start:
https://ck2.paradoxwikis.com/Interesting_characters_guide#Muslim_characters
Is there an interesting Abbasid vassal I could play as starting in 769?

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Jedit posted:

Nothing to do with the game - how do you get that event log box at the bottom?

It's the little +/- sign down at the lower right of the screen, to the lower left of the UI widget there, innit? Currently a - sign since the log is opened, turns into a + sign when it's closed? It's been a while since I played CK2, but I think that's how it goes.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

fuf posted:

Play the Zorros and don't try to avoid conversion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

fuf posted:

I've recommended it before, but Hasan Hashimid is the Shia ruler of Medina at that start date. The royal family of Jordan is descended from his in-game brother, but that side of the family usually dies as your courtiers without anyone noticing.

Mechanically, the duchy of Hijaz is good and in a great location for avoiding expansionist neighbors, and if you can gain direct control of most of your counties while keeping the Caliph happy and avoiding empowering the council, you can really snowball toward doing whatever you want.

• Locked thread