Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Improbable Lobster posted:

they're actually named after habitant pea soup

i loving love that stuff and it really bums me out that i can't get it in the states

montreal bagels, habitant pea soup and giant bags of frozen perogies at every grocery store are the three canadian foods i miss the most

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Tony Pizzuto Says Hello
it took me an extra 30 minutes to get home from work because some rear end in a top hat was driving too slow, and another rear end in a top hat was tailgating them. so rear end in a top hat #1 drove even slower in order to piss off rear end in a top hat #2. meanwhile, me, rear end in a top hat #3, just wanted to get to my house and pet a cat and eat dinner

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug

Sagebrush posted:

i loving love that stuff and it really bums me out that i can't get it in the states

montreal bagels, habitant pea soup and giant bags of frozen perogies at every grocery store are the three canadian foods i miss the most

it's basically red beans and rice, but with more liquid to make it into a soup and clearly not served on top of rice.

just instead of red beans it's yellow beans. the rest is basically the same.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
cls: having tons of anxiety about my mortality

basically got a mole lopped off, they said initially that it didn’t look like melanoma, but then left an ambiguous message last Friday. call doctor he says yeah they wanted to get second opinion and that it wasn’t melanoma. what he didn’t make clear til yesterday is that they thought it was melenoma at first, and that I am now likely to get melanoma at some point.

so I’m freaking out the second doc screwed up and that I do have a skin cancer, mostly because my lymph node seems all swollen in my neck.

I really don’t want to loving die, you know?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Beast of Bourbon posted:

it's basically red beans and rice, but with more liquid to make it into a soup and clearly not served on top of rice.

just instead of red beans it's yellow beans. the rest is basically the same.

it's split pea soup, not red beans and rice. smdh

this is like when americans try to figure out poutine

e: with yellow split peas! not green!

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jan 19, 2018

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

"oh, we have poutine here, it's called cheese fries!"
"no...it's not the same kind of cheese and it has gravy on it too."
"okay so cheese fries with gravy. you can get that."
"it's not nacho cheese sauce. it's cheese curds."
"what's that?"
"like...white cheese, very mild, not aged. fresh. in lumps."
"you mean cottage cheese? ew that's so gross we would never put--"
"not cottage cheese. it's more like...have you had paneer? like that but stretchier and saltier."
"oh so mozzarella!"
"no it's not loving mozzarella. it's cheese curds. it's a different cheese product and it doesn't have any other names"
"well i've never heard of those before. wait, is it like ricotta??"
"it's cheese curds! you can look them up. trust me, i'm not confusing it with anything else"
"well i don't want cottage cheese on fries anyway. that's disgusting."
"i can't--"

repeat ad nauseam

i've had this conversation more times than i care to count

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Punkbob posted:

basically got a mole lopped off, they said initially that it didn’t look like melanoma, but then left an ambiguous message last Friday. call doctor he says yeah they wanted to get second opinion and that it wasn’t melanoma. what he didn’t make clear til yesterday is that they thought it was melenoma at first, and that I am now likely to get melanoma at some point.

so I’m freaking out the second doc screwed up and that I do have a skin cancer, mostly because my lymph node seems all swollen in my neck.

i loving live vague correspondence from docs. I’ve got a hosed up LES, which in turn has goofed up my esophagus. before we could figure out what the deal was, i did one of those barium dye swallow test imaging things. the first doc i heard from afterwards was the radiologist, who posted the test results to my health tracking app thingy, which meant I could see them. the fucker posted them on a friday night, and with zero elaboration, wrote that my issue was possibly caused by a malignancy in my throat. cue a weekend of freaking out and wondering what my wife and infant son were going to do without me. in the end, chucklefuck’s off the cuff speculative diagnosis was wrong, but i was loving terrified for a few days.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
why did you argue with people 2-X about it

lol

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
so i guess what im saying is godspeed, goon. it’s scary poo poo and i wish you the best of luck.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Sagebrush posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

why did you argue with people 2-X about it

lol

i enjoy having heated discussions about trivial minutiae

why do you think i'm still here

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i'm a goddamned college professor. salami-slicing concepts into infinitesimally different categories and arguing about their distinctions is basically my full time job

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Sagebrush posted:

"no...it's not the same kind of cheese and it has gravy on it too."
"okay so cheese fries with gravy. you can get that."
"it's not nacho cheese sauce. it's cheese curds."
"what's that?"
"like...white cheese, very mild, not aged. fresh. in lumps."
"you mean cottage cheese? ew that's so gross we would never put--"
"not cottage cheese. it's more like...have you had paneer? like that but stretchier and saltier."
"oh so mozzarella!"
"no it's not loving mozzarella. it's cheese curds. it's a different cheese product and it doesn't have any other names"
"well i've never heard of those before. wait, is it like ricotta??"
"it's cheese curds! you can look them up. trust me, i'm not confusing it with anything else"
"well i don't want cottage cheese on fries anyway. that's disgusting."
"i can't--"

repeat ad nauseam

i've had this conversation more times than i care to count
I really respect that they call them disco fries in nj and make no claims to be anything but vaguely related to poutine and know the difference

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Punkbob posted:

this is awful and i'm sorry you're dealing with it, dude.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

well, this time it's probably true. i can't imagine the forums have any money any more

i keep meaning to write something to scrape all the user-profile pages, pull their registration dates, and graph the incredible slide in new accounts but then i'm like, what am i, someone who's not lazy?
https://twitter.com/katelibc/status/947617250449637376

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Punkbob posted:

let's kill ourselves together. let's eat some bullets. together.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

holy poo poo

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

:ohdear:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
how did sa make six figgies

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

indigi posted:

let's kill ourselves together. let's eat some bullets. together.

see if it was the worst I considered that after going on an epic bender. but then my life insurance won’t pay out.

my tentative plan was then to take fmla and a giant unsecured loan and then travel for a bit before I died.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Sagebrush posted:

our chemistry building was recently renovated and they found a ten-kilogram slug of mercury under the floorboards of one of the labs. no one had any idea how long it had been there :toot:

i always like when i see the big yellow tape and 'enter and get arrested' signs on doors in basements in the old chem e building cuz you know they found something hyperfucked

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

how did sa make six figgies

doomhouse on vhs.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

I don't believe the forums ever made money like that.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
I mean that isn’t bad for a side gig, but aren’t the forums wayyyyyy over resourced for the daily active users. honestly they should just host it on a nuc with some ram and SSD after aggressively purging poo poo.

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
i did say it's similiar not exactly the same.

we have poutine in the US now, this isn't the 80s. there's a half dozen poutine places that like exclusively serve poutine in LA. they're not even trendy anymore. poo poo growing up i could get poutine at the bowling alley. with actual cheese curds.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Punkbob posted:

I that isn’t bad for a side gig, but aren’t the forums wayyyyyy over resourced for the daily active users. honestly they should just host it on a nuc with some ram and SSD after aggressively purging poo poo.

is that the big issue? all of the archived poo poo?

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
reminder that search was broken for like 5 years

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
theres a place round here that does poutine w/ tater tots and it rules.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Beast of Bourbon posted:

reminder that search was broken for like 5 years

nah it was impossible to search a forums until recently.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Beast of Bourbon posted:

good friend of mine (and goon) was just in an elevator accident at work. he was going out for coffee and the elevator fell a few floors. he's walking and is not sure how hurt he is.

i walked out of an elevator 10 seconds before the 2003 blackout

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

my kid vid avatar owned but i'd be down to change it up if there is a cool and good avatar thread

theres an av thread somewhere in here

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Shaggar posted:

theres a place round here that does poutine w/ tater tots and it rules.

that sounds delicious actually.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

President Beep posted:

is that the big issue? all of the archived poo poo?

there has never been a great explainer because lowtax wont let anyone that has half a brain look at it too hard. But the db and some load issues have been mentioned. And that he pays out the rear end for hosting some convoluted setup with caching.

edit: the gist is that it’s the best of late 90s forum tech with some lovely optimization’s/caching in the late 00s.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

bump_fn posted:

wjeres toris boss' bobb;ehead

im worried about you bump_fn

Sagebrush posted:

habs going all the way this year, i know it :toot:

actually, the penguins will three-peat

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Punkbob posted:

see if it was the worst I considered that after going on an epic bender. but then my life insurance won’t pay out.

my tentative plan was then to take fmla and a giant unsecured loan and then travel for a bit before I died.

I was thinking about taking a giant fuckoff loan to travel and then declaring bankruptcy when I get back cause what are you gonna reposes bitch it's all in my mind and you can't take it from me

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Shaggar posted:

I don't believe the forums ever made money like that.

they absolutely did. and thats not counting titles and buying avs for others etc

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
cls: s-same ?!

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

jony neuemonic posted:

that sounds delicious actually.

its called totine and it is.

graph posted:

they absolutely did. and thats not counting titles and buying avs for others etc

amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
these bruins, am I rite?