Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

For such a painfully shonen outing Golem Hearts sure does love impalement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Rigged Death Trap posted:

For such a painfully shonen outing Golem Hearts sure does love impalement.

that kind of thing is par for the course in shonen like golem hearts isn't it

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
non-lethal impalement and arm removal are shounen standards. they are ways to make injuries seem more serious and dramatic without being particularly explicit or detailed. having the mc be a golem in a setting dedicated to tearing apart and repairing golems could be used for some nasty stuff, but i don't think that's what golem hearts is going for.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Speaking of, on this episode of kimetsu no yaiba:
Impalement!
Limb removal!
Cliffhanger!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Someone should make a harem manga thread so I don't have to read about terrible series and can post about kimetsu no yaiba being good instead

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

ariadne hadn't really grabbed me before, but now i can safely say that the princess owns
:same:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Jose posted:

Someone should make a harem manga thread so I don't have to read about terrible series and can post about kimetsu no yaiba being good instead

Its really good.

School Dropout Zone: Post your schoolkid manga here
Or
When Is Graduation Anyways: The School Manga Thread
Or
Experienced Chuuni Requested To Begin Immediately: School Manga Thread

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Mulderman posted:

Just adding a sister doesn't mean development. This chapter taught us nothing new about Kirisu. She's a terrible adult who keeps up a front.
We already knew about her figure skating before this.

Fumino being a bad chef wasn't an example of good development. But of a chapter that just had a silly premise and was actually funny.

Eh, that part where her sister was talking about their parents and Kirisu immediately shut her down was something new we learned about her

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Jose posted:

agreed. KnY is a fun manga for newcomers as has a unique art style and MC is a good boy who overcomes a variety of challenges. Also, it's not weird like shounon romcoms are w/female characters.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Was flipping through the newest Jump just now and found Shudan, which had a cute first three chapters. I was thinking to myself that it's a shame the English Jump never picked it up because I liked the style, then I realized it was the final chapter lol. However (I didn't actually read it) it appeared to end with the main boy playing soccer and the main girl (who was better than him) watching from the stands so that's kind of annoying so maybe it deserved to end. Who knows.

Golem Hearts is sitting at the back at the magazine, which was a little worrisome til I flipped further and found, buried past some more ads and at the true end of the magazine, Full Drive. Neither seems long for this world.

Cross X Account is still going though, wouldn't mind looking into that one and reading it if it's beeing scanned anywhere. I liked the Jump Start and it doesn't seem quite as "on the way out" as the others.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Was flipping through the newest Jump just now and found Shudan, which had a cute first three chapters. I was thinking to myself that it's a shame the English Jump never picked it up because I liked the style, then I realized it was the final chapter lol. However (I didn't actually read it) it appeared to end with the main boy playing soccer and the main girl (who was better than him) watching from the stands so that's kind of annoying so maybe it deserved to end. Who knows.

Golem Hearts is sitting at the back at the magazine, which was a little worrisome til I flipped further and found, buried past some more ads and at the true end of the magazine, Full Drive. Neither seems long for this world.

Cross X Account is still going though, wouldn't mind looking into that one and reading it if it's beeing scanned anywhere. I liked the Jump Start and it doesn't seem quite as "on the way out" as the others.
Cross Account apparently is basically already dead- I can't recall exactly but the way it's next two volumes are scheduled to release is very typical of a series that's getting canned.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

been rewatching yu yu hakusho for a while and just finished tonight. now that's a good loving show. I remember not being as into the sensui and final arcs as a kid but now I think they might be the best part of the series. the dub holds up surprisingly well for how old it is (there's plenty of duds but yusuke and kuwabara in particular are great). don't think I'd ever seen the anime adaption of the final arc before but I think I like how it handles the yomi fight and its aftermath better (tho I do think the way the manga did it was funny). yusuke's definitely one of my favorite shonen protagonists. the animation can be a little weak (it really likes to reuse stuff) and the dark tournament in particular has a fondness for making the first minute of an episode the last minute of the previous one, but that's really the only complaint I have

I love the opening song

e: also I appreciate yusuke's relationship with keiko avoiding the usual shonen stuff

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jan 17, 2018

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
It's been ranking last consistently so it's headed for the scrap bin probably after this arc but Golem Hearts got kinda dark real fast.

The two impaled dudes are indeed dead. Someone accidentally made an intelligent golem like Noah but it's psychotic. It murdered everyone it could find in the city along with everyone sent to destroy it and used their corpses to make a gigantic spire in the hopes it attracts more people for it to kill.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Fabricated posted:

It's been ranking last consistently so it's headed for the scrap bin probably after this arc but Golem Hearts got kinda dark real fast.

The two impaled dudes are indeed dead. Someone accidentally made an intelligent golem like Noah but it's psychotic. It murdered everyone it could find in the city along with everyone sent to destroy it and used their corpses to make a gigantic spire in the hopes it attracts more people for it to kill.

oof
thats a shame. I like the artstyle, it's cute.

But it's to be expected with the lineup being filled up with so many strong new contenders.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I've read several chapters of Cross Account (found them on Batoto :rip:) but I haven't been keeping up with it.

It's... A bit underwhelming.

Main character is a wimpy high schooler who never talks back to anyone, but secretly he has a really popular Twitter account where he poo poo talks people constantly. Girl #1 is MC's childhood friend, sporty girl, the only one who always stood by him, and she has a crush on him. Girl #2 is a young actress who is apparently perfect but secretly loves MC's poo poo-talking Twitter persona. The ~DRAMA~ comes from the fact that neither girl knows the MC's true personality, and the MC doesn't notice the girls are in fact in love with him. (Also, as far as I read, MC and Girl #2 never even met in person.)

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i don't think being a nerdlinger who uses harsh language on the internet spontaneously makes girls fall in love with you

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

speak for yourself buddy

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

It wasn't spontaneous, she reached out to him on Not-Twitter and they started chatting and playing online games together for a while. Still not, say, realistic, but at least she's not pining for him due to Mean Tweets. At least that's what I remember from the first three chapters. She's one of those Perfect Idol IRL - Otaku behind the scenes types so she envies his ability to be honest without realizing that he does the split-life thing too, I think. They meet once IRL at a handshaking event in chapter 3, but he doesn't know that she's the online friend.

Why the childhood friend likes his RL spineless nobody self, I don't remember. I think he saves her from some creepy poo poo in chapter 1?

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

If you name your comic "Cross Account" and no boys wear cute dresses you should have to go to jail.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Mikl posted:

I've read several chapters of Cross Account (found them on Batoto :rip:) but I haven't been keeping up with it.

It's... A bit underwhelming.

Main character is a wimpy high schooler who never talks back to anyone, but secretly he has a really popular Twitter account where he poo poo talks people constantly. Girl #1 is MC's childhood friend, sporty girl, the only one who always stood by him, and she has a crush on him. Girl #2 is a young actress who is apparently perfect but secretly loves MC's poo poo-talking Twitter persona. The ~DRAMA~ comes from the fact that neither girl knows the MC's true personality, and the MC doesn't notice the girls are in fact in love with him. (Also, as far as I read, MC and Girl #2 never even met in person.)

When you initially mentioned this I mixed it up with the manga Real Account about a social media based death game. IIRC Real Account has two series, one that follows each of these twin brothers.

I like how in Real Account the (second) protagonist, who is an extremely typical shounen romcom sorta guy, suddenly reveals like 50 chapters (or something) in that (spoiled just in case someone else wants to read it and cares) he's actually a sadistic sociopath and has been acting like a stereotypical shounen protagonist because it fulfilled his selfish desire to have people like him and look up to him.

It's otherwise not that amazing and just a typical pretty entertaining death game sorta thing, but i thought that twist was actually genuinely surprising and unexpected, since his character prior was exactly what you'd normally expect from a shounen protagonist.

The premise is actually fairly interesting/fun for a death game:

quote:

But one day, Ataru and almost 10,000 other people, get sucked into the Real Account Zone, where they have become players in a series of deadly games. The basic rules of these games are simple—if you lose all your followers, you die in real life, and if you die, all of your followers die with you.

So basically if someone in the real world keeps you as a friend, they're putting themselves at risk if you die in the death games. It's really funny when, at the beginning, literally all the dude's internet friends drop him, including his real life girlfriend.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jan 19, 2018

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
FWIW wasn’t that at his insistence?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I kinda love Real Account. There was some mess with the first go at it getting axed or switching magazines and the second try (aptly titled Real Account II) basically rebooting the story, rehashing some of the games, but later on also being, like a parallel story or something. But it's basically everything i look for in a death game story: brutal, sleazy, misanthropic, sometimes kinda clever. It parodies the social networking craze pretty well.

And yeah, that main character twist was amazing.

I sort of stopped reading it at some point, probably due to running out of translated chapters. I should check in whether it's done by now.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Real Account sounds like it is 200% my poo poo, because I have been looking for something to fill the Mirai Nikki-shaped void in my heart for a while and Juuni Taisen sucked rear end

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

HenryEx posted:

I kinda love Real Account. There was some mess with the first go at it getting axed or switching magazines and the second try (aptly titled Real Account II) basically rebooting the story, rehashing some of the games, but later on also being, like a parallel story or something. But it's basically everything i look for in a death game story: brutal, sleazy, misanthropic, sometimes kinda clever. It parodies the social networking craze pretty well.

And yeah, that main character twist was amazing.

Yeah, same. I'm a huge sucker for death game manga (it's probably my favorite trashy genre) and Real Account is a pretty solid example of that genre (as I mentioned, the premise leads to some pretty interesting competitions). Also worth reading for people who like death games are the Kami no Iu Toori manga (there are two of them that take place in the same setting, sorta like Real Account).

One twist I like in Kami no Iu Toori is that the main character goes most of the manga planning to resurrect his dead friends (including his love interest) when he becomes God (which is the reward for winning the death game), but when he becomes God and tries to resurrect them, he just ends up creating dolls based off his memory of those people and can't actually bring them back to life because he can't give them all their same memories. So everything he fought for comes to naught. The manga then ends with his friend (after the protagonist loses all his memories and becomes a husk in a climactic fight) using his powers to rewind time and run the death games again in order to make the protagonist into the same guy he admired so much (because his experience in the various death games made him grow as a person or whatever).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jan 20, 2018

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
We can't study 46

We can't study 47

I wonder if the new names will stick.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Ytlaya posted:

One twist I like in Kami no Iu Toori is that the main character goes most of the manga planning to resurrect his dead friends (including his love interest) when he becomes God (which is the reward for winning the death game), but when he becomes God and tries to resurrect them, he just ends up creating dolls based off his memory of those people and can't actually bring them back to life because he can't give them all their same memories. So everything he fought for comes to naught. The manga then ends with his friend (after the protagonist loses all his memories and becomes a husk in a climactic fight) using his powers to rewind time and run the death games again in order to make the protagonist into the same guy he admired so much (because his experience in the various death games made him grow as a person or whatever).

jesus I see one mangaka really, really liked Mirai Nikki

like I kind of got halfway through that spoiler and was like "okay wait this sounds familiar" and then I got to "rewind time and run the death games again to make the protag the same guy" and went "OH GOD drat IT" out loud

e: I can't comment on which manga executes it better, because I haven't read Kami no Iu Toori, but that's loving hilarious that there's two with almost that exact same plot beat

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?

Darth TNT posted:

We can't study 46

We can't study 47

I wonder if the new names will stick.

I loving loved that Pero joke.
It's the moments like this that really make me like this series

Also the ending of that last chapter. If it wants, this series really has heart.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Act Age is more interesting than I thought it'd be but it still kinda seems weirdly unsuited for WSJ.

Basically a poor high-schooler who is somehow legally still taking care of her two younger siblings at 16 after her mom dies and her dad walks out keeps trying to be an actress. Since she's had a hosed up life and used movies as a coping mechanism she's a natural method actor. The MC does really well at an audition but the woman running it intentionally doesn't pass her because she can apparently see something about her method acting that indicates she's not mentally healthy and a little too good at getting "in the zone" with negative emotions- it turns out when she was an actor she was similar and eventually was driven to an emotional breakdown by her own method-acting. Another younger male director thinks she's really good and approaches the MC for a role. The author did a pretty decent job of holding my interest at least.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Yeah I have no idea how this is gonna stick in Jump. It feels more like a shojo anthology work.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Other than taking care of two siblings, that synopsis sounds a lot like Glass Mask, an actual shojo series from the 80's.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Glass Mask is still ongoing! Still slooooooooooowly ongoing.

I don't think we'll ever see the end of Glass Mask, actually.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Mikl posted:

Glass Mask is still ongoing! Still slooooooooooowly ongoing.

I don't think we'll ever see the end of Glass Mask, actually.

Is it going in the "The story is dragging itself out" sort of way, or the Togashi-Goes-On-Hiatus-Every-Few-Months way?

I think what I like the most is that Glass Mask shows us the performances of Maya and Ayumi, and that while both have a different approach, they're both just as valid interpretations.

What I like the least about it is the choice for the romantic lead.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

In the Togashi way. However, compared to Miuchi (Glass Mask's author), Togashi's an amateur: the series has been ongoing since 1976, and has undergone several years-long hiatuses, the most recent of which is currently ongoing.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I’m also concerned that they’ll totally bungle the Mental Health angle.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Mikl posted:

In the Togashi way. However, compared to Miuchi (Glass Mask's author), Togashi's an amateur: the series has been ongoing since 1976, and has undergone several years-long hiatuses, the most recent of which is currently ongoing.

Do shonen and shojo series... stay considered shonen/shojo if they keep running long past their original target audience aging out of it? Like, is Glass Mask's target audience really still young girls at this point, or is it pretty much a de-facto josei series for the simple fact that anyone who grew up with it is now in their 40s or 50s?

This isn't really a Glass Mask specific question, I kinda have the same curiosity about JoJo (compounded by that one switching to an actual seinen magazine) and a lot of Go Nagai's stuff (which mostly started as shonen or shojo, but is absolutely not targeted at those demographics nowadays).

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Do shonen and shojo series... stay considered shonen/shojo if they keep running long past their original target audience aging out of it? Like, is Glass Mask's target audience really still young girls at this point, or is it pretty much a de-facto josei series for the simple fact that anyone who grew up with it is now in their 40s or 50s?

This isn't really a Glass Mask specific question, I kinda have the same curiosity about JoJo (compounded by that one switching to an actual seinen magazine) and a lot of Go Nagai's stuff (which mostly started as shonen or shojo, but is absolutely not targeted at those demographics nowadays).
It probably depends on the author and the editorial department of the magazine running it. One Piece is probably the textbook example of a shounen series remaining shounen even though it is now older than the target demographic.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Anyone remember World Trigger? Will it ever come back from hiatus?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
probably not, no. nerve damage.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

That's so sad, both for the author and the manga. I really enjoyed it, although the plot was moving incredibly slow I absolutely loved the fighting system and the strategies used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Maybe the author can find an artist to draw it for him and then he'd only have to write it/maybe some light storyboarding.