Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Well poo poo

Thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

Whats the best way to get this game for a completely new player? I see its on Steam but I think for some games its better to not get the steam version of a game.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

I had a non-Steam version, but eventually paid a little extra to re-purchase the base game on Steam, because I basically broke even buying the Morrowind expansion on sale. I don't regret that decision at all. It's actually super convenient because you don't have to log in anymore at startup, it just verifies through your Steam login and throws you right into the game. Plus if you ever want to buy crowns or other upgrades, the Steam store is a little easier to navigate than the ESO website, and odds are you've already got your payment info in there.

This is just my opinion, but at the very least there's no downside.

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø

Nerd Of Prey posted:

It's actually super convenient because you don't have to log in anymore at startup, it just verifies through your Steam login and throws you right into the game. Plus if you ever want to buy crowns or other upgrades, the Steam store is a little easier to navigate than the ESO website, and odds are you've already got your payment info in there.

Woah woah, you dont have to type in the password if you launch through steam?! Anyone know if it's possible to make steam recognize an installed version, or do I have to reinstall all 80 or whatever gigs?

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

Alright I picked up the base game for $20. If I find that I really enjoy it, will buying the most recent dlc (Morrowind?) include other previous dlcs similar to buying the latest WoW expansion?

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

soscannonballs posted:

Alright I picked up the base game for $20. If I find that I really enjoy it, will buying the most recent dlc (Morrowind?) include other previous dlcs similar to buying the latest WoW expansion?

No, this game actually has two kinds of DLC, "Expansions" of which there is only Morrowind, and regular "DLC" which are smaller packs, which include some smaller areas, and some dungeon-only unlocks, etc. The main difference in addition to content size, is that full expansions can only be bought with real money, all DLC can be bought with the in-game cash shop "zenimax funbux" style crowns. Or, just choosing to sub to ESO Plus, which unlocks all DLC while you are subbed. Subbing also gives you crowns.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

In terms of "I like this, I want to have more of it" a subscription is probably a better option. You get access to a broader variety of content and QoL stuff. Morrowind is a real nice solid chunk of content but there's more variety in the DLC you get for subbing.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

Alright I am in as Kumbo the Dunmer Sorcerer. Can I get a guild invite @Kumbo420?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
You can get the steam version for 7 bucks at the cheapest, currently hovering at 12 dollars, https://www.kinguin.net/category/19886/the-elder-scrolls-online-tamriel-unlimited-steam-gift/

It's a legit gift that you get in your email, and then activate. Most of my friend circle who plays ESO have all gotten it from there.
Advantages of Steam acco that come to mind in ESO:

-No login at start, starts right into the game after first time
-Steam Wallet funds for Crowns, and if you play some more famous games, you are probably selling small stuff here and there in marketplace to fund a direct drizzle of steambux that you can buy crowns with. My PUBG funds my ESO.
-Properly working overlay

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

valuum posted:

Woah woah, you dont have to type in the password if you launch through steam?! Anyone know if it's possible to make steam recognize an installed version, or do I have to reinstall all 80 or whatever gigs?

If you start the download through Steam, then pause it, it should create the proper directory structure. You can then move over all the files from the current installation, go back into Steam and tell it to verify local cache, and it should pick up and recognize the vast majority of the files without re-downloading them.

Hi
Oct 10, 2003

:wrong: :coffeepal:
Hey I havent played for a while but Im bored and wanna come back but everyones always saying theres way better deals on eso plus on amazon and what not.

Anyone have a link to some such deal ?

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

DrDork posted:

If you start the download through Steam, then pause it, it should create the proper directory structure. You can then move over all the files from the current installation, go back into Steam and tell it to verify local cache, and it should pick up and recognize the vast majority of the files without re-downloading them.

This. I ended up having a big download anyway because I bought Morrowind at the same time, and that download is pretty large. But after some fuckin around with it, I was able to get Steam to recognize my old files.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

oh right it's stam sorc, not stams orc

probably should have picked up on that before the 150 hour mark

Anywway, what's the most fun healing build? Read something earlier about blood flying everywhere but in a good way?

Beefeater
May 17, 2003

I'm hungry.
Hair Elf
The best classes for a healer would likely be Templar (of course), Warden and Nightblade. The "stealing enemy blood and shoving it in my friends" variety would be a Nightblade healer. I've yet to make one, but I hear they're a blast. Siphon healing would be a lot of fun.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Black Griffon posted:

oh right it's stam sorc, not stams orc

To be fair, stams orc is the coolest stam sorc

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
Anyone online anymore who could get me invited into the crafting guild? Valtonen13 is the ID

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Beefeater posted:

The best classes for a healer would likely be Templar (of course), Warden and Nightblade. The "stealing enemy blood and shoving it in my friends" variety would be a Nightblade healer. I've yet to make one, but I hear they're a blast. Siphon healing would be a lot of fun.

Can confirm they're super fun. Funnel Health and Sap Essence let you do a lot of "maintenance healing" as you DPS, and Nightblade has lots of fun utility you can swap in or out depending on the group. I use Dark Shades and Refreshing Path a lot although I'm sure they're sub-optimal.

Interested to see how the Blood Altar change shakes out - the huge radius might make it useful in more spread out fights. It would be a super thematic addition to my healing.

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

Those birds certainly know what they're doin'!
The thing to note about Nightblade healing is that it's a product of being a DPS, it's just that your DPS skills heal your group. Kinda nothing like doing a Templar or Warden healer, really, because there are people that heal as Nightblades without a Resto staff anywhere in sight. Pretty doable in 4-man stuff, from what I've seen.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
I basically got the dungeon healer achievs as a NB without ever actually taking up the healer slot and maining offensive weapons, so I can absolutely imagine healer nb being fun and doable.

Also I've been wondering: my experience at trying to tank is a GW2 chrono, which is basically a sword & board light armor type, and after scouring a list of sets for things that look tanky: would going 5L/2H as a nightblade tank ever be workable above normal dungeons?

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Mr. Carrier Pigeon posted:

The thing to note about Nightblade healing is that it's a product of being a DPS, it's just that your DPS skills heal your group. Kinda nothing like doing a Templar or Warden healer, really, because there are people that heal as Nightblades without a Resto staff anywhere in sight. Pretty doable in 4-man stuff, from what I've seen.

This is me, and what I do. Resto staff is my back bar for when things go ultra bad.

Nightblade also has the "sacrifice your health to heal an ally" thing but it eats such a big chunk of health that I don't find it worth using. It usually leaves me one unlucky attack away from death.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

What sort of weapons am I looking at though? I kinda want to play something that's not about DW since that's my main

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Black Griffon posted:

What sort of weapons am I looking at though? I kinda want to play something that's not about DW since that's my main

Destruction and Restoration staves. You want that sweet magicka back on heavy attacks and both weapons have some good skills to round out your loadout.

Bustycops
Mar 3, 2010

Sup Lads
Off all the classes Mageblade probably has the easiest path of being able to pull off Tank/Healer/DPS; because many of the morphs like Funnel Health, or Sap Essence are useful to every role.

So for Vet Dungeons at least, it's pretty trivial to homogenize your different builds into one. My Saptank used to do everything no problem, even running DPS jewelry/weapons half the time when the groups DPS or Healer was rear end.

Although truthfully once you get two or more characters leveled it's much less of a headache to just give each dude one job so you can properly minmax and not have to constantly swap gear in/out.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Oh thanks that reminds me: Sap Essence, your AOE damage spell that also heals the group, is also a huge threat generator because it craps out both damage AND healing all over the place. As a healer this is kinda scary because you can easily get dogpiled into corpsehood. But when you wanna tank (like a blood Death Knight - just self healin' for days) it's great, because you run around spamming Sap Essence, heal your team, and get the aggro of every mob from here to Coldharbor.

EDIT: Also, re: Light-armor tank Nightblade, you could maybe kinda try it? I would almost do that as some kinda shield/dodge-based Kensai thing. poo poo now I wanna try this.

Sixto Lezcano fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jan 19, 2018

Beefeater
May 17, 2003

I'm hungry.
Hair Elf
There's a DK tank build up on Tamriel Foundry that goes with 5L/1M/1H. It utilizes the Fortified Brass set to make up for the mitigation. I can't see why it wouldn't be viable for a Nightblade setup.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Sixto Lezcano posted:

EDIT: Also, re: Light-armor tank Nightblade, you could maybe kinda try it? I would almost do that as some kinda shield/dodge-based Kensai thing. poo poo now I wanna try this.

I feel like NB might actually have it relatively easy keeping almost every damage-reducing buff (both wards and resolves, major evasion, minor protection from things that are more or less spammable, major protection from an ult that might actually be usable semi-regularly with Tava and a decisive weapon) so it feels like it could have potential, but it could be wishful thinking.

Also according to UESP the shadow resistance passive doesn't actually fully double at 4 heavy pieces so going for at most 2-3 seems maybe doable, idk

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø
Ahoi goon devs! It's hard to chill out in the houses when the mushrooms arent getting the proper pixel treatment. There's only so much you can do with brown and 16-bit graphics

e: adding to my ernarmorous disappointment, the physics are off and the goats arent anatomically proper

valuum fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jan 20, 2018

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Can I get an invite to the NA guild? UserID is @Istarin

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

The MSQ is weird in that All the people who seem to be main stars gently caress off except at the very final moment even though this is entirely their reason for being in the game. GIVE ME SOME HELP MICHAEL GAMBON. NO OK I mean, come on!

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Bert Roberge posted:

Can I get an invite to the NA guild? UserID is @Istarin

gently caress. Yes.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Dely Apple posted:

The MSQ is weird in that All the people who seem to be main stars gently caress off except at the very final moment even though this is entirely their reason for being in the game. GIVE ME SOME HELP MICHAEL GAMBON. NO OK I mean, come on!

look at this foolish person, not realizing that darien gautier is actually the focus point for the entire eso saga

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

I saw some pubbies discussing tanking with a frost destruction staff. Is that a thing?

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

ZoS wanted it to be a thing, but no, not in any serious way.

Like, technically, yes!

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

YellerBill posted:

I saw some pubbies discussing tanking with a frost destruction staff. Is that a thing?

the issue with frost staff is that you need sword and board for anything tough, there are 2 modes in this game, without much between, easy or unforgiving. With easy content you don't even need tanks, I can solo all the normal dungeons (as can a lot of other people) with my stamsorc, I don't have trial gear, all my gear is crafted/dropped (yay vMA bow! not required ups DPS a little bit) and I don't run any extra health, all stam (though I do get like 130hp from having a single piece of heavy gear as my monster shoulder, gently caress you chest give me medium velidreth already). I can also solo and/or duo a bunch of vet (sometimes hardmode) non-dlc dungeons.

The Real Man Stuff (aka unforgiving) are like DLC dungeons on vet (hell normal is challenging though only because your standard rando is an idiot and they have actual mechanics to do/dodge), and vet trials; normal trials you can just plow through and most people can be bad as long as 3-5 key people (healers+tank) know what they're doing.

So, what i've heard of tanks on the actual hard content is that you basically block with your shield non-stop and use the taunt skill from SNB dunno which morph pierce or ransack, probably ransack, every 15 seconds you hit that button and do some selfbuffs between getting beaten, otherwise you are just holding block for however long the fight takes (and dodging whatever mechanics you have to). The issue is frost staff you lose your shield and all the bonuses from SNB, which is bad, and all for what? Frost staff being a +hate thing, I don'tt hink it's guaranteed agro like ransack.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

They seriously need to change frost staff. All it's doing right now is making frost staves useless for most characters, so destruction is all fire/lightning. They need to find a DPS niche for frost if anyone is going to use it.

If they want magic tanks they should make an Alteration Staff skill line with the various shield and skin spells from that school.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

MF_James posted:

Frost staff being a +hate thing, I don'tt hink it's guaranteed agro like ransack.

With one of the passives, frost staff power attacks apparently do taunt enemies a la ransack, if I'm reading things right. It also gives you a small damage shield on power attack but the power attack takes about three years in my experience and time you're in the power attack animation is time you aren't blocking.

Another thing I didn't know is that the same passive also makes blocking with a frost staff consume magicka instead of stamina but from what little testing I've done that seems to use way more magicka on block than s&b uses stamina.

Beefeater
May 17, 2003

I'm hungry.
Hair Elf

FactsAreUseless posted:

They seriously need to change frost staff. All it's doing right now is making frost staves useless for most characters, so destruction is all fire/lightning. They need to find a DPS niche for frost if anyone is going to use it.

If they want magic tanks they should make an Alteration Staff skill line with the various shield and skin spells from that school.

That's a genius idea really. I'd love to see them do that.

At present, they're at least giving ice staff a tiny bit of love with this patch. I may have to dust off my Nightblade magicka tank that backbars one.

quote:

Ancient Knowledge (Destruction Staff passive) now reduces the cost of Block by 18/36%, up from 15/30%.

DoriDori240
Aug 1, 2003

Needs more Anna Ohura

Snowy posted:

I'm trying out magblade, is there anything from this post that has changed dramatically or is this still reliable? Also thanks for this Dori.

I will be re-writing this one shortly, as soon as the final pts updates before they hit live. Still works as a overview and the leveling info is still relevant, just some skill changes...

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Beefeater posted:

That's a genius idea really. I'd love to see them do that.

At present, they're at least giving ice staff a tiny bit of love with this patch. I may have to dust off my Nightblade magicka tank that backbars one.
I'm probably going to stick one on my healplar once they hit 15, because they do so much damage with Templar abilities I don't really need a big DPS bonus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
Anyone online anymore at all to invite to the goon crafting bank/guild? could really use that to buff my crafting.

Valtonen13 is the ID