Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Today's Garf

Zippy

Ripley's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

"The life of everyone on board depends upon just one thing: finding someone back there who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

BigDave posted:

"The life of everyone on board depends upon just one thing: finding someone back there who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

You joke, but I've heard that Airplane! actually inspired that policy. That might just be an urban legend, though.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum
The Perishers (1986)

I feel like I need to add some context notes, like the Bloom Country strips. Mr Band-Aid is obviously Bob Geldof.
Mr Maxwell is Robert Maxwell, millionaire and since 1984 owner of the Daily Mirror newspaper in which The Perishers was published. (But not anything to do with Maxwell House coffee.)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Flash Gordon

Oh come on, this 'arc' was like 4 strips. Did Keefe get sick of drawing the Tricera-Cthulhu?

2005 Spiderman

The Amazing The Lizard

Magnificatz

Laputanmachine posted:

I understand now why Americans think Toblerone is ambrosia. I imagine it tastes like heaven if you have eaten sour milk chocolate all your life.
We have real chocolate too. Hershey's is the poo poo we give to children and for situations where we want to give chocolate but don't care enough to spend actual money on it(office treats and such), because it's cheap and easy to buy in large quantities.

How non-Americans got it in their head that we're not familiar with any chocolate but Hershey's is baffling to me. It's like assuming our only pizza is Pizza Hut. But some variation on "poor Americans, completely without access to real chocolate" comes up every time Hershey's does, without fail.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Haifisch posted:

How non-Americans got it in their head that we're not familiar with any chocolate but Hershey's is baffling to me. It's like assuming our only pizza is Pizza Hut. But some variation on "poor Americans, completely without access to real chocolate" comes up every time Hershey's does, without fail.

Anti-American bigotry.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Haifisch posted:

We have real chocolate too. Hershey's is the poo poo we give to children and for situations where we want to give chocolate but don't care enough to spend actual money on it(office treats and such), because it's cheap and easy to buy in large quantities.

This. I always laugh whenever non-Americans assume that Hershey's is the only chocolate we have. Even within convenient stores you can find other, much better chocolates for sale (although they tend to cost more)

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Randaconda posted:

Anti-American bigotry.

You eat the Hershey's though Rand. :randstare:

Also hey I ran late yesterday morning. So have a double batch. This time in proper chronological order.

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

These are apparently real things.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Mister Beeg posted:

This. I always laugh whenever non-Americans assume that Hershey's is the only chocolate we have. Even within convenient stores you can find other, much better chocolates for sale (although they tend to cost more)

Dove chocolate is a good step up without a steep price increase. Then there is Ghiradelli and Godiva.
When I lived in Memphis, there was a local chocolatier called Dinstuhl's. That had factory tours and a company store that sold fresh off the line chocolate. There are two things I miss about Memphis: Dinstuhl's and the Zoo. Not the high taxes or the mentally ill turned into the homeless or the misguided attempts to revitalize downtown (like the trolley nobody wanted and nobody uses).
Okay, the Redbird's stadium is really nice, but I'm a Cubs fan and they are the AAA affiliate for the Cardinals.
I really like chocolate but have low standards.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Aleph Null posted:

When I lived in Memphis, there was a local chocolatier called Dinstuhl's. That had factory tours and a company store that sold fresh off the line chocolate.

Oh wow, I don't live that far from Memphis (about 2 hour drive) and I never heard of this. Next time I'm there, I need to check it out.

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer
We also have See's Candies. If you like peanut brittle, they make some tasty batches of it.

Thanks for posting Modesty Blaise - that one is on my To Buy list.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Mister Beeg posted:

Oh wow, I don't live that far from Memphis (about 2 hour drive) and I never heard of this. Next time I'm there, I need to check it out.

Call them first if you want the tour. They have to have enough people interested at a specific time before they'll do it. At least, that's how it was a decade or so ago when we did it. It was a popular school field trip spot.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Here, thread. I made this. I don't know why.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Yes, give a heads-up to the DeGroots so they can hire a lawyer to help them cover their asses, but your very next call after that should be to Souffle Lingerie who will most definitely call up their own lawyers to take Ann Eiffel to the cleaners.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
Ok for real I love unique character designs but someone please tell me what's the deal with that poor kid's sunken in head in Compu Toon.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

sweeperbravo posted:

Ok for real I love unique character designs but someone please tell me what's the deal with that poor kid's sunken in head in Compu Toon.

Charles Boyce is a loveable mental patient.

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man

Mister Beeg posted:

I’m in the Cleveland area and we have Malley’s, the local chocolate factory. That poo poo is hella good.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Julet Esqu posted:

Yes, give a heads-up to the DeGroots so they can hire a lawyer to help them cover their asses, but your very next call after that should be to Souffle Lingerie who will most definitely call up their own lawyers to take Ann Eiffel to the cleaners.

Sounds like a sensible plan. It'll be interesting to see how they manage to gently caress everything up.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Tumblr of scotch posted:

Actually based off of the recently-deposed flag of Pocatello!
Well now that joke makes a lot more sense!

BigDave posted:

I just want to tell you good luck. We're all counting on you.

Mister Beeg posted:

Yes, but there all of it is good. You can grab anything off the shelf and it's gonna be good. Even American brands taste better there than here. Certainly many Americans are aware of better chocolate, but it's not so universal as there, and we do have to seek it out and often spend more for it. We get hosed here with regard to chocolate. It's just true.

F Minus

Boooo!

Mark Trail

Possible crossover happening?

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

I am not a lawyer, but I don't think ambushing your clients with a surprise meeting with the people currently suing them is best practices.

Apartment 3-G

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery, and the SHOCKING CHARACTER REVELATION is upon us! Plus the return of a certain character from the Scary Go Round days. Don't worry, nobody else remembers her either.

What was the SHOCKING CHARACTER REVELATION? That the swappy guy was able to swap something? That Mrs Biscuits is not the old woman's actual name? Is it the noisy boots?

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann is like a Bizarro World-version of Archie Comics.

Not any of the cool reboots, but the straight up Silver Age Bizarro where the characters are all lumpy dolts that say stuff like “Bizarro am Worst superhero, more worse than Superman! Bizarro Love Superman!”

Simian_Prime fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jan 19, 2018

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
BC

Phoebe and her Unicorn

Id

Big Nate

Curtis

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon
Ballard Street !

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

I have to say, I don't have a low opinion of Curtis, but I also wasn't predicting it would be the strip to touch on this controversial sociocultural phenomenon without either being hamfisted or making me cringe.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space GUy

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Old New Yorker Cartoons

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

I am not a lawyer, but I don't think ambushing your clients with a surprise meeting with the people currently suing them is best practices.

Except, *Crazy Twist* - Lawyer is representing both sides by mistake. Oopsie-doodles

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Remember Lio?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

FrumpleOrz posted:

Old New Yorker Cartoons

oh hey jeff sessions

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Crossposting for this thread

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Vargo posted:

Phoebe and her Unicorn

drat. These four panels convey more emotions than I've seen in entire comic books.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set shouldn't ask questions it doesn't want the answer to.

Working Daze is fat.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix is me irl.

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks
Alphonse and Gaston

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Ham Shears

(imgur decided to name this sex.png for some reason)

The Creeps

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Skippy (November 21, 1930)

Peanuts (January 21, 1971)

Funky Winkerbean gives us ABUSE OF (a pathetically small amount of) POWER!

Crankshaft

Cobra Carson: Two-Fisted Sheepherder

Out Our Way (March 2-3, 1931)

Thimble Theater (August 11, 1931)

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Viivi & Wagner

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

What kind of shallow douchebag thinks it's important not to be a fat slob, amirite?

Also nevermind that exercise is, you know, healthy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

drat. These four panels convey more emotions than I've seen in entire comic books.
It's a good strip.

I was wasting time in a bookshop with coworkers yesterday where they had a unicorn themed display in the kids' section, and I had to check if they'd included any Phoebe books. If they had I would now be known at work as "the guy who picks up unicorn stuff from the kids' section and loudly announces 'now this one's actually really good, you guys'".