Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Rocks posted:

Does anyone know what’s happening with IIPR? Their stock is down like 20% in a couple days. They said they’ve issued another 3.8 million shares recently, so obviously share dilution right?

What does it say about a company’s financials or management if they dilute with more stock? Trying to figure out if I should hold or sell.

It’s being crazy volatile with the rest of the weed stocks. The issuance of new shares is to fund more acquisitions, and the impact will depend on the yields they are able to get on the next round of properties they buy from growers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Bought a chunk of MJX at 35.88, not really concerned about any federal hurdles especially since a midterm election is approaching

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

LIT is down 4.5% how the heck does a simple mining etf gap down like this

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)

Rocks posted:

Does anyone know what’s happening with IIPR? Their stock is down like 20% in a couple days. They said they’ve issued another 3.8 million shares recently, so obviously share dilution right?

What does it say about a company’s financials or management if they dilute with more stock? Trying to figure out if I should hold or sell.

From what I see they have 3.5M outstanding shares and 2.6M are public float, so that is over double the shares. I'm guessing that they see the present as a good time to raise some money and buy more stuff.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
I'm out of NTDOY after another nice gain. :mario: Earnings are at the end of the month, but the recent surge from the DIY cardboard accessories they've announced seems overdone. If it dips down before earnings I may buy some again.

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Rocks posted:

I should not ALRM is crushing it lately, a stock I recommended recently in this thread. Up 10% in the last week. Earnings are set for Feb 27 FYI. Was thinking of selling my IIPR and putting more into ALRM

What's your thought with alarm.com?

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

LLCoolJD posted:

I'm out of NTDOY after another nice gain. :mario: Earnings are at the end of the month, but the recent surge from the DIY cardboard accessories they've announced seems overdone. If it dips down before earnings I may buy some again.

Nintendo's new cardboard Labo product looks amazingly great and is imo another reason to go long on NTDOY.

The compelling thing to me is the potential for the product series to open up new markets and retail partnerships for the company. With the slogan "Make, Play, Discover" it's clear that Nintendo is positioning this beyond a simple neato game peripheral gimmick, but also a sort of educational experience that fits with the educational STEM toy market. This will get their foot in the door into all sorts of new retailers and new households.

Additionally the margins have got to be amazing. While the competition is investing in VR and other expensive new tech, Nintendo is combining small indie tier games with cardboard and pricing the combined package at a premium.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Rocks posted:

I should not ALRM is crushing it lately, a stock I recommended recently in this thread. Up 10% in the last week. Earnings are set for Feb 27 FYI. Was thinking of selling my IIPR and putting more into ALRM

Since I'm not following it, is there anything driving the upswing besides the run up to earnings?

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

They are literally selling pieces of cardboard to idiots for $70. I certainly wouldn't exit yet if you hold NTDOY

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Syrinxx posted:

They are literally selling pieces of cardboard to idiots for $70. I certainly wouldn't exit yet if you hold NTDOY

$60 of that price is the video game, the cardboard is $10.

Labo is actually a really great, innovative idea and solves the problem that's plagued so many game peripherals in the past -- expensive, bulky, very quickly outdated. If Nintendo can instead stamp out designs on cardboard for people to self-assemble, they save a shitload of time, money, and materials on production, and also open up huge opportunities to innovate in peripheral design. A peripheral design doesn't work out? Oh well, you're only out some cardboard and the cost of stamping them, instead of having to junk an entire assembly line creating worthless plastic junk. The cardboard gets damaged or ruined? Go pick up some cardboard at a local retailer, print out design specs, make your own!

It'll be a huge hit with the DIY types who are super into Lego and Minecraft and all. Assemble your own robot suit and then punch, kick things and see the robot on screen do that for real? I know a dozen people who would have completely freaked out over this as kids. Go long on this, they're the only console company actually positioning themselves to genuinely innovate instead of iterate.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

SKULL.GIF posted:

I know a dozen people who would have completely freaked out over this as kids.

Exactly my thought watching that video except "holy gently caress would I have loved this as a kid!"

That's innovative and fresh as gently caress. I think I'm sold on a long position.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

I would invest in ETH over GE

jvick
Jun 24, 2008

WE ARE
PENN STATE
$GOON Current Positions

LiterallyAnything
Jul 11, 2008

by vyelkin
NTDOY seems to not have any options contracts. Shame.

Edit- Ah, OTC.

RE: USO

Freight costs are getting insane because of rising oil prices, causing commodity trade companies to lower their margins. I'd pull out of oil for the short term.

LiterallyAnything fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jan 18, 2018

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
I told you guys to close the kodk short. If bitcoin doesn’t slide it’s going to gain.

Back to realbucks, AMD just broke 200d sma, Tesla rumour not confirmed yet, intel continuing to poo poo the bed with more news, product mix for earnings should be strong. Feeling good about prospects for this year.

jvick
Jun 24, 2008

WE ARE
PENN STATE

Risky Bisquick posted:

I told you guys to close the kodk short. If bitcoin doesn’t slide it’s going to gain.

To be honest, you were one against 2 to cover so I didn't make a move. And I missed the person who said to buy the 7.50 call at $2.41 to hedge. Think we should still buy the call at this point? The current price is $2.85 for Feb. 16 $7.50.

Jack Daniels
Nov 14, 2002

$GNC nice goddman move today never pulled the trigger this month sub 4 too sad today sweet drat move even after the Gap Up kept going aaah +51% close drat man :eng99:

https://www.finviz.com/quote.ashx?t=GNC&ty=c&p=d&b=1

some pretty decent Insider Buys up in there. too late (for me at least now) tho so w/e

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

If I've been playing with a cheap stock that seems to swing like a pendulum from $3.50-$5.70-$3.50 weekly there isn't any chance of running into day trader issues if I make sure to space my sell/buy orders at least a day apart?

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

La Quinta $LQ just got bought by Wyndham $WYN. Pretty interesting since Marriott and Starwood just got hooked up too. I wonder what the next hotel chain to merge or get bought will be? Any speculation?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
What was the catalyst for GNC?

jvick posted:

To be honest, you were one against 2 to cover so I didn't make a move. And I missed the person who said to buy the 7.50 call at $2.41 to hedge. Think we should still buy the call at this point? The current price is $2.85 for Feb. 16 $7.50.

Not sure what to do from here, but market sentiment on bitcoin changes very quickly. I'd tread very cautiously because of how irrational retail investors are about crypto, see LFIN and it's valuation. I'm bearish on bitcoin, but honestly people are stupid and buy fake internet monopoly money.

Curious, do shorts carry borrowing costs on that paper platform?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Okay stock peoples, help make a call: reasonable response or full of poo poo?

I recently emailed the company that runs BOTZ ETF ( https://www.globalxfunds.com/funds/botz/ ), asking why Alphabet/Google stock wasn't in a fund seeking exposure to artificial intelligence companies. Google/Alphabet, of course, is a world-leader in AI:
1. https://deepmind.com/ , a google acquisition
2. https://www.recode.net/2017/5/19/15657758/google-artificial-intelligence-ai-investments google buying a ton of AI companies
3. https://www.wired.com/2017/05/sundar-pichai-sees-googles-future-smartest-cloud/ google's CEO calling it an "AI-first company"

Google uses AI to optimize ad revenue among other things. And Waymo is in it for self-driving cars.

The BOTZ ETF primarily seeks to track this indxx ( https://www.indxx.com/indices.php?id=240 ) but also has discretionary funds. Anyway, I received this response from the BOTZ ETF:

quote:

Dear (pmchem),

In regard to your question about not including Alphabet in the ETF I have attached the Index Methodology. Including companies like Google would dilute the AI exposure of BOTZ. While they have an AI division, Google does not derive a significant amount of their revenue from robotics or AI, nor is it a primary business function as referenced in the index methodology.

For further questions, please call (blah blah blah), signed, (so-and-so)

So, goons: reasonable response or full of poo poo?

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Sextro posted:

If I've been playing with a cheap stock that seems to swing like a pendulum from $3.50-$5.70-$3.50 weekly there isn't any chance of running into day trader issues if I make sure to space my sell/buy orders at least a day apart?

That won't trigger any day trade stuff.

Just be aware of this if it's a cash account: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_riding

Jack Daniels
Nov 14, 2002

Risky Bisquick posted:

good/suprising beat E/R & I am assuming Guidance as well

also w/ the good E/R comes obvious correction from previous doomsday dumpage, etc. anyway too sad never entered :-/

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

pmchem posted:

Okay stock peoples, help make a call: reasonable response or full of poo poo?

I recently emailed the company that runs BOTZ ETF ( https://www.globalxfunds.com/funds/botz/ ), asking why Alphabet/Google stock wasn't in a fund seeking exposure to artificial intelligence companies. Google/Alphabet, of course, is a world-leader in AI:
1. https://deepmind.com/ , a google acquisition
2. https://www.recode.net/2017/5/19/15657758/google-artificial-intelligence-ai-investments google buying a ton of AI companies
3. https://www.wired.com/2017/05/sundar-pichai-sees-googles-future-smartest-cloud/ google's CEO calling it an "AI-first company"

Google uses AI to optimize ad revenue among other things. And Waymo is in it for self-driving cars.

The BOTZ ETF primarily seeks to track this indxx ( https://www.indxx.com/indices.php?id=240 ) but also has discretionary funds. Anyway, I received this response from the BOTZ ETF:

So, goons: reasonable response or full of poo poo?

I mean the response is reasonable i guess. Google is an advertising company

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

Why does the op say "Jim Cramer is a bad word around here?"

I bought 'Stay Mad for Life' and liked it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I think it's a reasonable response, but one which also highlights a fundamental weakness in the concept of an "AI" ETF; AI is an approach to solving problems, it's not a product.

And it's a really handwavey term, too, like... adaptive intelligence is used for advertising, whenever websites customize the offers they present to you based on your shopping history or your profile compared to other shoppers with similar profiles. So any company that does adaptive intelligent offers is now an AI company? AI is also used for machines that visually scan circuit boards on assembly lines, by using machine learning to associate flaws discovered during QA testing with visible flaws in the soldering traces. So now every company working on assembly line scanning that takes an AI approach is an AI company? What, fundamentally, does a company working on driverless cars have in common with a company working on automated translation software? Nothing, that's what, and it's absurd to group them together in an ETF based solely on that factor.

But yeah Google's AI technology may be industry-leading but it's barely a blip on their earnings and that's not likely to change, so adding alphabet to an ETF means exposure to online advertising revenues, not specifically AI technology. It's somewhat similar to adding Microsoft to an ETF based on gaming consoles: yeah, they make the XBox and games, but (as of November) games is $1.89B of their $24.5B total revenue. It's not their core business and an investment in MSFT is mostly an investment in business software and web services.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

The Butcher posted:

That won't trigger any day trade stuff.

Just be aware of this if it's a cash account: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_riding

Ok cool. I've just been playing with robinhood with spare change I toss into it.

jvick
Jun 24, 2008

WE ARE
PENN STATE

Risky Bisquick posted:

Not sure what to do from here, but market sentiment on bitcoin changes very quickly. I'd tread very cautiously because of how irrational retail investors are about crypto, see LFIN and it's valuation. I'm bearish on bitcoin, but honestly people are stupid and buy fake internet monopoly money.

Curious, do shorts carry borrowing costs on that paper platform?

No costs. I have it set to have no fees.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Sextro posted:

Ok cool. I've just been playing with robinhood with spare change I toss into it.

robinhood will warn you first which makes all the stories about angry people under 25k extra funny!

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

I think it's a reasonable response, but one which also highlights a fundamental weakness in the concept of an "AI" ETF; AI is an approach to solving problems, it's not a product.

And it's a really handwavey term, too, like... adaptive intelligence is used for advertising, whenever websites customize the offers they present to you based on your shopping history or your profile compared to other shoppers with similar profiles. So any company that does adaptive intelligent offers is now an AI company? AI is also used for machines that visually scan circuit boards on assembly lines, by using machine learning to associate flaws discovered during QA testing with visible flaws in the soldering traces. So now every company working on assembly line scanning that takes an AI approach is an AI company? What, fundamentally, does a company working on driverless cars have in common with a company working on automated translation software? Nothing, that's what, and it's absurd to group them together in an ETF based solely on that factor.

But yeah Google's AI technology may be industry-leading but it's barely a blip on their earnings and that's not likely to change, so adding alphabet to an ETF means exposure to online advertising revenues, not specifically AI technology. It's somewhat similar to adding Microsoft to an ETF based on gaming consoles: yeah, they make the XBox and games, but (as of November) games is $1.89B of their $24.5B total revenue. It's not their core business and an investment in MSFT is mostly an investment in business software and web services.

This is a constant issue, regardless of sector for ETF.

Think about health. GE gets 3% of it's revenue (~4 of 125B) from healthcare. I don't actually see IBM reporting it's health revenue in a quick look, but that's been the big focus of the investment of Watson.

What about CVS? They have a pharmacy, a PBM, MA insurance plans, the minute clinic... but also a ton of retail revenue. And even the retail pharmacy revenue is potentially at risk when compared to other kinds of health revenue.

There are very few companies that are 'pure' anymore and don't give exposure to either sectors, particularly when you look at any player that may be fairly dominant in any given space, or is just really large.

Hell, google has a significant health play -- google life sciences / verily.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah, I'm sure it's an issue to some extent. I think there are certainly fairly "pure" sectors, like mining, or pharma (not retail, but pharma research & manufacturing). I don't invest in sector ETFs, though, so I haven't looked into it in that much detail recently.

But in the case of AI, we're talking about a very vaguely-defined term for a broad suite of different approaches to solving programming problems. Any company working in software could potentially be involved in some kind of AI play, but these companies could be in totally different sectors, not at all correlated to each other, and the success of any given AI approach to solving a specific problem probably has little bearing on whether another company's AI approach to a different problem will be successful. Nor is it likely that a lot of the larger companies will consolidate specifically to acquire AI tech: sure, Google could buy some smaller company working on AI for self-driving cars, for example, but that doesn't mean that "AI is up" in a general sense.

So what I'm saying is, I don't think AI is a sector. It'd be like grouping a bunch of companies based on which ones use database-driven applications. Sure, databases are great! But why would you group a big auto insurance company with a company that builds smart gas meters, just because they both have big databases and applications that work on them?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Yeah, this discussion of “what kind of company” are you seems to be problematic for ETFs. Google is an “ad company”? People see those ads because, for example, they search on google. Google search heavily relies on machine learning / AI research, e.g. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/RankBrain . And that’s just one application of it in Alphabet. Who knows what future revenues DeepMind research will generate? Google didn’t buy that company for entertainment value.

I mean you could call NVidia a retail graphics card part supplier but that’s missing the point. They’re a huge AI play too since neutral network training is best done on GPUs. NVidia is pumping AI all the time even though they don’t get any significant revenue from selling AI software/services.

Edit: I think you’re an AI company if you’re either majority expenditures or world leading in AI R&D, or nonlinearly growing revenues due to applied AI.

pmchem fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jan 19, 2018

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah, I'm sure it's an issue to some extent. I think there are certainly fairly "pure" sectors, like mining, or pharma (not retail, but pharma research & manufacturing). I don't invest in sector ETFs, though, so I haven't looked into it in that much detail recently.

I don't know about mining, but pharma isn't really pure.

JNJ; are you talking about their OTC business - including stuff like baby wash etc? Maybe it's the devices. Maybe it's the drugs. Most of the big pharma companies are similar.

Small biotechs could be a fairly 'pure' play, but you'd probably run into some doing funky blockchain poo poo for no reason.

I mostly think sector ETFs are dumb for this reason.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

From an investor's standpoint, someone has to convince me that there's a reason for grouping these companies together. Generally it's because you are bullish or bearish on that specific sector. How can you be bullish or bearish on "AI"? Are you bullish or bearish on REST APIs? Python scripts? mulithreaded processing? These are also tools for solving software problems! The only difference is that they're not sexy buzzwords, like "Artificial Intelligence."

I could see being bullish on a specific application of AI, like search optimization, computer vision, targeted advertising, speech recognition, or data mining. I don't see grouping companies exploring all of these disparate applications together and expecting them to share some correlation of performance based on them all being AI plays.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

From an investor's standpoint, someone has to convince me that there's a reason for grouping these companies together. Generally it's because you are bullish or bearish on that specific sector. How can you be bullish or bearish on "AI"? Are you bullish or bearish on REST APIs? Python scripts? mulithreaded processing? These are also tools for solving software problems! The only difference is that they're not sexy buzzwords, like "Artificial Intelligence."

I could see being bullish on a specific application of AI, like search optimization, computer vision, targeted advertising, speech recognition, or data mining. I don't see grouping companies exploring all of these disparate applications together and expecting them to share some correlation of performance based on them all being AI plays.

Roll that question back 60 years. Remember The Graduate? “One word: plastics.” Not a specific application of plastics in piping, consumer goods containers, or cars. Just “plastics”. Innovations in plastics production and materials performance were driven by the fields of chemistry and chemical engineering. Broadly investing in companies with leading plastics technology, or increasing profits due to use of plastics, would’ve been a solid plan. You did academic and industrial research in plastics. Graduate degrees studying them. You still do.

You don’t get a Ph.D. in compsci because you wrote a python script or REST API. They may be tools you use along the way. Maybe for the ideas inside them.

I’m saying AI is like the new plastics. So who’s the best at it? And who’s making money off it? Those questions can be answered. Those companies go in the ETF. Google/Alphabet is one of them.

tminz
Jul 1, 2004
Don't worry about it's holdings, it prints money. Options are now also available.

But seriously that seems to be a pretty reasonable response.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

pmchem posted:

Roll that question back 60 years. Remember The Graduate? “One word: plastics.” Not a specific application of plastics in piping, consumer goods containers, or cars. Just “plastics”. Innovations in plastics production and materials performance were driven by the fields of chemistry and chemical engineering. Broadly investing in companies with leading plastics technology, or increasing profits due to use of plastics, would’ve been a solid plan. You did academic and industrial research in plastics. Graduate degrees studying them. You still do.

You don’t get a Ph.D. in compsci because you wrote a python script or REST API. They may be tools you use along the way. Maybe for the ideas inside them.

I’m saying AI is like the new plastics. So who’s the best at it? And who’s making money off it? Those questions can be answered. Those companies go in the ETF. Google/Alphabet is one of them.

These aren't good comparisons, though. Plastic is a physical substance. If you want to make something out of plastic, you have to buy plastic from a plastic supplier, or manufacture plastic in-house. So you can invest in plastic suppliers, clearly, and the companies making plastic injection molding equipment, companies making plastic films, etc.

But do you also include any manufacturer that is using plastic? Would you make an ETF that included Dow Chemical (they make plastic), Exxon (they produce oil to make plastic), Sony (they make radios out of plastic), Ford (they use plastic in their cars), and Bally (they make pinball machines with plastic parts)? Sure, I guess so, but do you expect them to be correlated in their performance? And at least these are all manufacturers. Would you include an advertising company, just because they sometimes sell ads to be printed on disposable plastic cups? You'd be hard-pressed to find any sector that was completely unaffected by plastics by the 1980s, so by this argument, just put the entire stock market into your plastics ETF and call it a day. Mining? uses plastics. Transport? Hell yes. Finance? Sure, computers use plastics, data tape is made of plastic. Insurance? Sure, insurance agents use plastic pens! Where do you draw the line?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I literally took a shot at drawing that line several posts up,

quote:

I think you’re an AI company if you’re either majority expenditures or world leading in AI R&D, or nonlinearly growing revenues due to applied AI.

s/AI/plastics/

That may not be a perfect definition -- welcome to input there -- but it was posted well before you asked those questions.

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015
The impression I get is that when people say Artificial Intelligence they really mean machine learning and applications of neural networks. Those are the new hotness that everyone's using nowadays right?

So I guess you could call an AI company a company that is capable of creating and training a neural net? Or companies that already have existing ones or data sets, machine learning libraries, and other technology IP that they can license out to other businesses?

Then you can draw the line between companies that sell or license IP and companies that just use them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Cory Parsnipson posted:

The impression I get is that when people say Artificial Intelligence they really mean machine learning and applications of neural networks. Those are the new hotness that everyone's using nowadays right?

That's a fair, brief description. As a nerd topic, it's of course pored over in detail on wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artificial_intelligence

and NVidia -- a retail graphics card part supplier (or perhaps an AI company) -- has their own take:
https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2016/07/29/whats-difference-artificial-intelligence-machine-learning-deep-learning-ai/

There are several other easily google-able definitions of AI/ML.