Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

punk rebel ecks posted:

What's the general consensus of The Simpsons Movie?

It makes so many weird unnecessary choices, like having Arnold as the President instead of Rainier Wolfcastle, and having yet another "Homer fucks up and Marge questions their marriage but then Homer saves the day and learns a lesson" subplot, but it also has plenty of good jokes, so overall I like it.

Like how much plot consistency are you looking for in a Simpsons movie? I laughed a lot, I'm happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

punk rebel ecks posted:

What's the general consensus of The Simpsons Movie?

Better than the season that was airing at the time, no where near classic simps. It's alright and should have been the series finale.

WampaLord posted:

It makes so many weird unnecessary choices, like having Arnold as the President instead of Rainier Wolfcastle, and having yet another "Homer fucks up and Marge questions their marriage but then Homer saves the day and learns a lesson" subplot, but it also has plenty of good jokes, so overall I like it.

Like how much plot consistency are you looking for in a Simpsons movie? I laughed a lot, I'm happy.

The Arnold/Wolfcastle thing was because fox didn't want any callback characters or something like that IIRC

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Yeah, for whatever reason Fox had some thing about them only using certain characters. I believe originally the bad guy was supposed to be Hank Scorpio, but Fox nixed that idea.

Overall, I thought the movie was pretty good. Not every joke landed, and the emotional stuff wasn't quite as heavy hitting as some of the earlier seasons, but it was still pretty good on it's own.
And yeah, it would certainly have made a fine series finale.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
To this day I think everyone who said The Simpsons Movie was good were convincing themselves to like it. I know I did. The movie had been anticipated since the mid-90’s so everyone was like “how could it not be good?” And pretended to laugh at it. I won’t believe anything else.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
President Hank Scorpio would have been pretty cool

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

WampaLord posted:

Also it really should have been Hank Scorpio in it instead of giving Brooks a new character.

The movie is better than most of the last 15-20 years of the show but it’s still just barely okay imo. It has a lot of weird stuff in it like showing Bart’s dick. I still don’t understand the thought process behind that idea.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Hank Scorpio wouldn't have made sense as the villain of the movie because he genuinely appreciated and liked Homer Simpson

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Detective No. 27 posted:

I heard that MTV almost did an Otto spin-off.

if they poached some of the writers from the show it might have been passable for an even more adult-oriented simpsons show but at that point the inevitable overlap between beavis and butthead would be the biggest knock against it. early to mid and even kinda late 90s mtv was a legit pop culture force and if anyone could have done a simpsons spinoff it would have been them

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

To this day I think everyone who said The Simpsons Movie was good were convincing themselves to like it. I know I did. The movie had been anticipated since the mid-90’s so everyone was like “how could it not be good?” And pretended to laugh at it. I won’t believe anything else.

absolutely correct

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
the only things I remember about the simpsons movie are spider-pig (bad) and bart's dick (double bad)

edit: also the fact that the guy selling bootleg DVDs of it on the subway was hot (good)

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

the movie was bad but less bad than the tv show was at the time

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

All I remember was "something about a giant bubble dome"

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I enjoyed the film when I saw it in theater. Then I forgot about it. I watched it again a few weeks ago and it's still funny. However, Homer is such an irredeemable dick.

splurgershnitzl
Jan 19, 2018
It was the moment a goon made a thread about the Simpsons in 2017.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
The Simpsons Movie is one of those things that seemed like it was in development forever, it came out finally, and no on really remembers or cares about it.

The 'best' to come from it was likely the game at the same time. It didn't get great reviews or anything, but it has long been a title that seems to have retained a lot of its resale value compared to most movie tie-ins.

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

Simpsons Movie DVD had interesting technical commentary

Edit: Lisa's voice actor gets really emotional for some reason and they pause the movie and it's a bit awkward but also endearing

Flinger fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jan 19, 2018

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Simpsons Movie was bad, very bad

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
the movie sucked bigly , and I remember watching it in the theater thinking why are people laughing at this poo poo. spider pig was Le meme levels of humor . Stop ..stop ...he's already dead

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Watched the Simpsons movie. Didnt think it was funny, thought it was very forgettable because i dont remember much about it and have no desire to rewatch it.

I also thought the animation was that horrible cell shaded 3d crap

Making hank Scorpio president and Arnold, ranier wouldnt have saved anything

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
it would have made it worse , because hank Scorpio is a one time character in a very good episode instead of being stuck in a poo poo movie for ~nostalgia~

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

BART DICK

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Spider pig was used in trailers and promos for weeks beforehand

It wasn’t funny then, and it wasn’t funny when we saw it in the movie, and it wasn’t funny any of the times they tried to call back to it in the show later

To this day I have no idea what the hell they thought they had going with that

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Would The Simpsons Movie have beat Family Guy to the Star Wars parody they'd made their movie a SW parody first?

It would have been a few years since the last Star Wars film by that point and just making the theme of theatrical Simpsons movies into big satires of very popular films ala the 'Treehouse' episodes might have been a way to go about it and give them an excuse to churn them out every few years based on what was the really popular films.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

JediTalentAgent posted:

Would The Simpsons Movie have beat Family Guy to the Star Wars parody they'd made their movie a SW parody first?

It would have been a few years since the last Star Wars film by that point and just making the theme of theatrical Simpsons movies into big satires of very popular films ala the 'Treehouse' episodes might have been a way to go about it and give them an excuse to churn them out every few years based on what was the really popular films.

what have you done

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I watched the episode where they join a cult a couple days ago

Man, it was pretty awful

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Peace de Bundy posted:

what have you done

It's just a random thought I have. You can transplant most of the Simpsons characters pretty easily into a Star Wars parody, maybe even more so than Family Guy, and I seem to remember when the series first went into syndication one of the earlier trailers WAS inserting Bart into Star Wars footage.

The scene of Darth Homer in Empire in that chamber getting his helmet put on would also have a similar devices dipping a donut into a cup of coffee for him. When the officer leaves, Darth Homer tries to eat the donut through the helmet and just goes, "D'oh"

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Not a Children posted:

I watched the episode where they join a cult a couple days ago

Man, it was pretty awful

The Stone Cutters was funny :argh:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Iron Crowned posted:

Nanananananananana leader

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Iron Crowned posted:

That's not a cult, it's a secret society.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Data Graham posted:

Nanananananananana leader

i love the leader

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

That leader one is a little bit weak for the era it is from but still a pretty good episode. Have they ever tried to make fun of Scientology more directly? I’m guessing no since there’s scientologists on staff.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Data Graham posted:

Spider pig was used in trailers and promos for weeks beforehand

It wasn’t funny then, and it wasn’t funny when we saw it in the movie, and it wasn’t funny any of the times they tried to call back to it in the show later

To this day I have no idea what the hell they thought they had going with that

I always thought that it seemed that everyone found this funny but me. I don't understand the joke.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

punk rebel ecks posted:

I always thought that it seemed that everyone found this funny but me. I don't understand the joke.

the joke can be explained by the simpsons itself: it's a purple monkey dishwasher

its LOL wacky humor

and it was loving terrible

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

punk rebel ecks posted:

:yossame:

I figured the joke was that everyone found it funny but me. Sadly, that only works if I exist in a sitcom.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Peace de Bundy posted:

the joke can be explained by the simpsons itself: it's a purple monkey dishwasher

I never got this either. Is it because "purple monkey dishwasher" sounds so random?

Dylan McKay
Oct 20, 2011

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation. I refuse to see Black Panther because they didn't ask the Black Ranger to be in it.
Spider-pig spider-pig does whatever a spider-pig does....

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

punk rebel ecks posted:

I never got this either. Is it because "purple monkey dishwasher" sounds so random?

It's a joke about the game telephone

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

punk rebel ecks posted:

Because it's blatantly forced random.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

punk rebel ecks posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMF3zcQw27g

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Iron Crowned posted:

:yossame:

I figured the joke was that everyone found it funny but me. Sadly, that only works if I exist in a sitcom.