Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

achtungnight posted:

Bullshit maze, drat it. Forget Sword, Go Right. The maze may be counter-intuitive, you never know with :argh:Dever!

With :argh:Dever! you always know the paths will diverge and then reconverge before you move to the next phase. This is an image of how the paths all converge into the "you are stunned and tossed into the maze" section.

Also, do this:

Mikl posted:

Sword's obviously a trap. Pick up the sword and then :goleft:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Pick the sword and go sinistra i mean left and hear the word of the lord....

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

ulmont posted:

With :argh:Dever! you always know the paths will diverge and then reconverge before you move to the next phase. This is an image of how the paths all converge into the "you are stunned and tossed into the maze" section.

I would love to see more of these, and at a more legible size. Got a link?

As for our choices. Just pick up the Sword of Obvious Trap, then Go right just for a change of pace.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Bifauxnen posted:

They're on Project Aon with each book ("paths" under the "book information" heading).

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Basically, in the end, there's no avoiding being captured. There's just varying degrees of putting it off.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Still voting for LOOT SWORD. I don't care if we stir a terror in our wake. Armed we can kick any terror's rear end.

Left is best so I vote we go left if we still get that choice after looting sword.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

OK, we're still unarmed.

Castle Death posted:

After a few hundred yards, the passage turns abruptly to the right. Glinting in the dim light is a cluster of huge bubbles floating languidly up and down in the passage ahead. A slight breeze lifts them, and slowly they bounce towards you.

Healing: +1 EP (30/32).
Do we walk through them or turn around and take the other passage?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Last time we walked through something it went well, let's do it again!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Let's not. We walked through lasers and didn't get hurt. If I saw a memory foam mattress with a beautiful naked woman on it offering passionate lovemaking I'd assume it was a deadly carnivorous mattress and the girl was its lure.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Bifauxnen posted:

Tiggum linked them - I deliberately kept that one tiny since it's the current book.

Tiggum posted:

take the other passage?

How could bubbles possibly hurt us? Let's not find out and take the other passage.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
turn around. I don’t like bubbles.

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010
Didn't a big bubble try to kill us at the very start of this adventure? Take The Other Passage

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Go the other way

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense

Comstar posted:

Go the other way

I agree

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

ulmont posted:

How could bubbles possibly hurt us? Let's not find out and take the other passage.
We're very indecisive lately.

Castle Death posted:

You walk along the passage for several minutes until it turns sharply to the left. Cautiously you peer around the corner, your basic Kai instincts alerting you to a potential threat. Peering down, you see a beam of light shining from one side of the corridor to the other. The passage ahead looks no different to those in the rest of the maze, but you feel sure that it contains a deadly trap.

Healing: +1 EP (31/32).
Do we step over the beam or walk through it?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Step over. I hope that’s right.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
It's a trap, Step over.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Man, remember when I said 'oh I'm glad they lay off the random insta-deaths later on'?

I was a fool, a damned fool, and also forgetful as hell.

edit: not spoilers

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Castle Death posted:

Jets of fire spurt from the floor and walls momentarily blinding you. A wave of searing heat buffets your face, singeing your hair and eyelashes (lose 2 ENDURANCE points), and forcing you to retreat for fear of being burned alive.

Suddenly there is a ghastly scream. Something is approaching you through the flames. In the next instant, a blazing human form staggers into view; it shrieks in agony and lurches out of the fire-jets, its arms flailing wildly as it launches an attack.

Endurance: 29/32.

The creature’s flaming fists scorch your tunic, but your Mastery of Nexus enables you to survive the worst of the searing heat. The attack is wild and haphazard and you have no difficulty avoiding the blows. Ducking beneath the creature’s arm, you sprint away towards the jets of flame in the hope of evading the attack, but the sight of the inferno ahead makes you hesitate.

Healing: +1 EP (30/32).
Do we walk through the fire or stand and fight the burning man?

Did anyone think that trap was too obvious? The correct way to avoid it is to walk through the beam. Also, does anyone else think it's bullshit that we still took two damage even though we have Nexus? Because that's bullshit.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Fight the Burning man he seems easy enough to disarm.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Walk through the fire

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jgrCKhxE1s

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Leraika posted:

Man, remember when I said 'oh I'm glad they lay off the random insta-deaths later on'?

I was a fool, a damned fool, and also forgetful as hell.

edit: not spoilers

Yeah, you were a damned fool because they actually made them worse. One book in the Grand Master series has you go through the entire book before throwing up back to back random instadeath rolls to reach 350.

Then again, about 80% of the gameplay in the Grand Master series is picking the disciplines in exactly the right order to avoid being DMW from page 1.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
I always wanted to fight someone from the fantastic 4.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Tiggum posted:

Also, does anyone else think it's bullshit that we still took two damage even though we have Nexus? Because that's bullshit.

It's especially bullshit because it even acknowledges that your Mastery of Nexus enables you to survive the worst of the searing heat in the very next passage. *folds arms*
We Stand and Fight.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Jedit posted:

Yeah, you were a damned fool because they actually made them worse. One book in the Grand Master series has you go through the entire book before throwing up back to back random instadeath rolls to reach 350.

Then again, about 80% of the gameplay in the Grand Master series is picking the disciplines in exactly the right order to avoid being DMW from page 1.

Yeah honestly I think that by that time I was just cheating like hell.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Tiggum posted:

Walk through the fire.. We still don't have a weapon, right?

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Tiggum posted:

Also, does anyone else think it's bullshit that we still took two damage even though we have Nexus? Because that's bullshit.

I can at least rule it as a surprise thing. I don't think Nexus is an "unconscious use" power. And we did have sufficient warning about the burning man.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Fight!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Comstar posted:

Fight the Burning man he seems easy enough to disarm.
I don't think he's armed, exactly. Unless you count the fire as a weapon.

Castle Death posted:

With a cry that shakes your soul, the creature leaps forward to claw at your throat. The creature is immune to Mindblast (but not Psi-surge). Unless you have the Magnakai Discipline of Nexus, double all ENDURANCE points that you lose during the combat, due to the severity of the burns you sustain.

Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 16 ENDURANCE 30
Flame-man: COMBAT SKILL 14 ENDURANCE 40
Combat Ratio: 2

We roll: 7
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 16 ENDURANCE 29
Flame-man: COMBAT SKILL 14 ENDURANCE 30

We roll: 6
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 16 ENDURANCE 27
Flame-man: COMBAT SKILL 14 ENDURANCE 21

We roll: 1
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 16 ENDURANCE 22
Flame-man: COMBAT SKILL 14 ENDURANCE 17

We roll: 5
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 16 ENDURANCE 20
Flame-man: COMBAT SKILL 14 ENDURANCE 9

We roll: 5
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 16 ENDURANCE 18
Flame-man: COMBAT SKILL 14 ENDURANCE 1

We roll: 7
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 16 ENDURANCE 17
Flame-man: COMBAT SKILL 14 ENDURANCE 0

Castle Death posted:

A heap of molten ash is now all that remains of the Flame-man. Then, as suddenly as they began, the jets of flame shut off, leaving the passage ahead shimmering with a heat haze. A laugh, cold and distant, echoes above the ceiling of mist, stirring you to curse Lord Zahda and his deadly maze.

Healing: +1 EP (18/32).

You cover fifty yards before the passage opens into a large, circular chamber. There, on a plinth in the centre of the floor, rests a severed human hand. The skin is mottled and swollen, the fingers black and decayed. Beyond the plinth, the passage continues straight ahead, flanked by two pillars of speckled green stone.

Healing: +1 EP (19/32).
Do we examine the hand or avoid it and keep moving?

Even without Nexus you can just walk through the flames without being hurt, and the flame-man won't follow you.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Let's examine the hand that definitely won't attack us.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
You gotta hand it to this labyrinth. Or maybe you've got a hand to this labyrinth. Time for a hand-off? Maybe we're just feeling handy.

Perhaps we can come through in the clutch and get a grasp on this whole ordeal? Not wanting to point fingers or anything.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Need a hand?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Castle Death posted:

Without any warning, the hand springs to life. It stands upright on its fingers, the first two drawn back so that it resembles a monstrous spider preparing to attack. You step back aghast as it scurries around in a circle on the granite plinth.

Healing: +1 EP (20/32).
Do we attack it mano-a-mano, throw a fireseed at it, or give it a wide berth and keep walking?

We are still unarmed (aside from these fireseeds), so our Combat Skill is either 16 or 18, depending on whether we can use Mindblast or not.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Throw a fireseed!

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Fireseed!

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Don't be a jerk to Thing T. Thing :mad:

Just don't bother it by giving it a wide berth.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Throw the fireseed, who knows when we'll get another chance to ever use them?

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Let's target the enemy hand. Seed Away!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Mikl posted:

Just don't bother it by giving it a wide berth.
It's probably more scared of us than we are of it, right?

Castle Death posted:

As you draw level with the plinth, the fingers on the hand begin to move. They rise and fall, drumming a slow and clumsy rhythm on the granite surface. The dull thudding causes your head to ache, and the pain increases with every tap of the swollen black fingers.

Healing: +1 EP (21/32).

The pain quickly becomes unbearable (lose 5 ENDURANCE points). As you reel back in agony, the drumming increases speed: unless you act quickly it will destroy your mind.

Endurance: 16/32.
Do we attack the hand unarmed, throw a fireseed, or run further into the maze?