Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen
Time to kill a whole bunch of drow!

I start by freeing a bunch of unfortunate people from this ball. Everyone except this guy tries to kill me.

When throwing on Stoneskins before fighting a demon, Neera summons... a demon. While it's good prep it does make the Svirfneblin door guard turn hostile.

One Charm Person spell and lots of buffs later I'm ready to pound on a balor.

I've always wanted to be an elf!

Murder for murder's sake. I don't even remember who asked me to kill these people.

Starting the Beholder area with this encounter seems... like bullshit.

Best 22k gold I ever spent.

I have no aversion to letting a floating magical sword to all my work for me.

BRING ON THE FIVE DEMON KNIGHTS

lmao

Nothing personnel, kid

We've started getting high-level abilities!

I should be too, but I'm not.

I forgot to get a screenshot of Bodhi's death, but she died. Priest Softface is going to Elf Town!

But seriously, any ideas why I'm not getting high level abilities? My only idea is that I was in BG1 as a Priest of Tyr, which apparently doesn't exist in BG2 so it defaulted me to Cleric, but I have Priest of Lathander abilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Cassandra Roguestone and ALAUNDO'S CHOSEN have come to the end of their tour of the West (Sword) Coast

(No, not like that. We just finished up that part of the map.)

Wait, is...is that Mick Jagger?

EVERYBODY DANCE NOW

Look buddy, you want to do death metal, we can do death metal.

See?

We play a couple sessions with Sil and the Sirines, and live to tell the tale, and then we lift this fitness guide off some roided out losers in the nearby cave.

(It turns out that very little can stand up to a Wand of Flame/Necklace of Missiles/Skull Trap combo for very long.)

Look buddy, you want to do death met- oh I already did that joke.

Your donation to Farm Aid will also be used to fund Antichickenator research so that poor souls like young Melicamp here can lead a normal and happy life.

(MELICAMP LIVES, BABY)

The band is now off to check out the Cloakwood clubbing scene.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

cigaw posted:

Oh no. :ohdear:

That's a sad end to a great run.

The only thing that really annoys me is that I could have survived had I played smarter. I reloaded the autosave a few times after dying and there was a reliable strategy even with my lack of equipment and potions. Oh well, lesson learned for the next run.

Angry Lobster posted:

RIP Blaxploiter the Iron Golem, Mind Flayers sucked out his brain

Aw man, I was convinced Blaxploiter would make it. I guess his inability to cross narrow passages proved to be his downfall after all.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Samuel Clemens posted:

The only thing that really annoys me is that I could have survived had I played smarter. I reloaded the autosave a few times after dying and there was a reliable strategy even with my lack of equipment and potions. Oh well, lesson learned for the next run.

Aw man, I was convinced Blaxploiter would make it. I guess his inability to cross narrow passages proved to be his downfall after all.

He could have easy make it if I played tight and safe, but I'm too rusty at this and I would have slipped somewhere eventually and died in a stupid way. Going to roll a standard party and give it another shot. The problem with playing ironman solo is that you have to be smart all the time, you slip once and the run is over, rolling with a party gives you more leeway in that regard.

Angry Lobster fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jan 11, 2018

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Westley feels he needs levels, so we head east for Neera's little sidequest. Behold as she's leveled enough now to cast Horror! Neera rocks!

Behold as she surges a lightning bolt and almost kills Westley! Neera sucks!

When they mentioned a Goblin King I wanted David Bowie. You are not David Bowie.

The return of the Red Mages goes south for them because Horror. Let's see what this adventure won us.

That's...lame. There are two spots in this game where you can be Petrified and I know where they are.

Better. Even if Neera can't actually cast it except via Reckless Dweemer.

Through Cloakwood. I remember this bridge. Haste Boots Man is lurking...

But Neera sticks him with Enfeeble which makes him far less scary.

I rush Throwing Axe Guy. Wizard back there throws a Horror, I block it. Then he throws a Confusion, I can't block it...

Kivan kills Dorn. Kivan gets killed. I kill Axe Guy with a Hail Mary frost wand. Imoen does in the offending wizard...

And the other one can't really get spells off between the pummeling I hand him. That was distressingly close. Westley the Cavalier has bumbled his way to the Cloakwood Mines

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Halser posted:

George Lucas says it all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxL4pzuwSUQ&t=3s

Now, it's a joke mod and all, but now I'm wondering. Did anyone actually manage to beat it?
I have a couple times, but never solo. It requires a lot of cheesing.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The Cloakwood clubbing scene leaves something to be desired.

We're trying to get a gig at the Lodge, the first club we come across, when this folk band shows up and starts throwing their weight around. Guess this just isn't a rock'n'roll town.

Then there's this place, a real pit, and frankly they need to call an exterminator. (I have no idea why whatsherface looks like the Lady of Pain. Mod, probably.)

The Treehouse looks really cool, but it's super cramped inside, and the manager just flipped out when we started talking about Farm Aid, just started shouting about RECLAIMING THE LAND and poo poo.

Club Wyvern is exactly as advertised. (I've learned by now to bring, at least, a Protection from Poison scroll here. Wyvern poison is nothing to gently caress with, especially now that Cassandra's rocking the Claw of Kasgoroth. Still, between the Jester song and opening with a Horror spell, there's not a lot to really worry about here.)

But then there's the place we really came to check out, this underground place that's supposed to be amazing. Rumor has it that it's where IRONTHRONE got their first gigs.

The bouncers are a bit rough but we get in, no problem, but this performer gives us the lowdown on how the place treats their talent.

So first we find the owner and give him a piece of our mind.

Then we trash the place.

Cassandra Roguestone and ALAUNDO'S CHOSEN's next stop? THE BIG CITY

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Angry Lobster posted:

The problem with playing ironman solo is that you have to be smart all the time, you slip once and the run is over, rolling with a party gives you more leeway in that regard.

True, especially given how much BG2 loves its instakill-abilities.

----

In memory of Corbomite Hayes, here's Willow, the human Dragon Disciple. I'm generally not much of a fan of solo arcane casters, especially Sorcerers, but maybe this kit has enough intricacies to make it interesting.

Farming Basilisks isn't my preferred strategy in the beginning since it does tend to trivialise the first half of the game. But for non-helmet wearers, I consider it almost essential. Otherwise, you're constantly at the mercy of being instantly killed by a random arrow crit.

Dragon's Breath is powerful at this stage, but I'm not sure how well it'll scale into the endgame. 8d8 for a once-per-day ability that roots you in place for a few seconds doesn't strike me as particularly useful by the time you hit level 20. Looks pretty though.

Don't mind me, just sneaking to the Wand of Fire.

I forgot to take further screenshots, but the rest of the pre-city areas went smoothly. Mulahey and Davaeorn fell to wands and I avoided all fights in the bandit camp.

Willow is on her way to Baldur's Gate.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

To the Cloakwood Mines! Sure Yeslick, you're marginally better than Branwen. You can hold a large shield, for one.

The punier guards down here are luckily vulnerable to Sleep.

Speaking of sleep, whoa hell but resting down here is a bad idea. Run away!

I'm forced to run all the way to the Ogre Mage's room, where I quickly ruin him, block off the door and take out the incoming mob as they're stuffed up. Yeesh.

Then I forget about this wizard fight and eat the new bane of my existence, Confusion...

I win out but get my poo poo pushed in doing so. Now a decision to be made, push onward and risk it, or run all the way out, risk inevitable random encounters and try to rez everyone...

Yeah, given I can't even safely sleep in the Mines this was an easy one. First waylay can be avoided by running for the edge...

Other one can't as there are spiderweb traps. Only thing is to slug it out with the drat Ettercaps and try not to move.

But luckily that's it for the encounters. Rez, sleep, head back...

Do this again...sigh...

Respawning jerks. I cleared you guys out the first time I was here...

The Battle Horrors are dealt with via ye olde stair retreat bullshittery.

I rest just to see if I can, get ambushed by two guards. This is actually far more reasonable than upstairs where like 10 guards attack you.

Uh, yeah. Suffice it to say game did *not* want me resting and kept springing the goddamn two guard ambush on me before it let me nap. We end up napping on a whole lot of corpses.

Eat death, mage. Your dungeon sucks.

Davaeorn has teleport spam. Unfortunately I have Haste after Neera leveled on all of those loving guards. Westley the Cavalier has flooded the Cloakwood Mines

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Vincenzo the fighter/thief resurfaces in Amn with a brand new look (because the BG1EE portrait DLC doesn't transfer to BG2EE)...

The Ribald gambit was successful. Ring of regeneration acquired.

The first hurdle of getting my party ASAP was having to go through 2 stone golems to recruit Edwin. I had to buy a mace +2 for Korgan and use a lot of potions.

Next on the list was doing Edwin and Korgan's quests conveniently located in the same area to avoid their whining and eventual departure (evil NPCs are such babies). Here I think starting with SoD's exp cap of 500K was more of a hindrance than a boon. The monsters are stronger but I don't have to gear to handle them yet, so I'm forced to peel them off 1 by 1. There's no way I was going to take 2 wights and 2 shadow fiends head on.

Snuck up on Edwin's powered down lich with invisibility 10' radius because I forgot how hard it was to kill. Turns out it was not very.

Used more invisibility 10' sneakry in the Slavers' ship to make the battles a bit less chaotic. Also, I had forgotten about Korgan's line here. If a chaotic evil berserker wouldn't be a slaver, what does that make these slavers? Super chaotic super evil?

Did De'arnise next. Apparently normal traps do poison damage? OK.

Lured the 2 giant trolls with Tor'Gal with summons (since they start hostile but not Tor'Gal) before taking care of the latter. Still not geared enough to take 3 trolls at the same time.

It's always a pleasure to watch Cernd chunk the gently caress out of Faldorn. The only thing he's good for. Not sure what I'll do next, probably Jaheira's quests then unseeing eye?

Vincenzo the fighter/thief is the hero of Trademeet

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Priest Softface is on the clock to get her soul back from Irenicus, so I'm going to go straight... to scrounge up some more experience!

First I wipe out the Cowled Wizards.

Then I snap the Twisted Rune in half.

And what's any good detour without a sightseeing trip to Watcher's Keep?

First floor is a cinch.

Second floor is dominated by rolling artillery barrages.

Third floor is...

Trouble. I ran away from the Baatezu fight twice - the third time it went into some sort of weird cinematic. During the Tanar'ri fight I got stunned and brought down to 12 hp, and Minsc saved me with a few Cure Moderate Wounds since he was the only character alive and active with healing spells. Quasits are infuriating to fight.

What's good for Kangaxx is good for any other Demilich.

And Saladrex is taken down in just over one round. Unfortunately Imoen doesn't make it due to getting one-shot by his breath weapon.

Quick note: I'm colorblind and have a lot of difficulty differentiating between blue and purple. This puzzle is even worse than riddles for me, and I've had to memorize the solution.

Back to the plot! I would rather leave the bottom floor and Demogorgon for when I have an arsenal of weapons from Throne of Bhaal.

Irenicus expresses exactly what's in my soul :smith:

Hell (or the pocket plane, I guess) is a breeze, and I'm back to Irenicus while remaining good.

There can be only one!

Priest Softface has slain Irenicus! Walking around with Death Ward and Chaotic Commands at all times makes this much easier to manage.

Honors: Ironman, Purist, Honorable Trader, Gaxkang's a Wuss, Roleplayer.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Congratulations for the first SoA victory this year. Looking forward to Priest Softface's attempt at ascension.

----

The second part of Willow's adventure started out well. I remembered to use Fireshield: Red against Drizzt this time, so he actually dropped his gear. Not that I can use any of it, but it's the thought that counts.

Melicamp lives.

So does Arabelle.

BG1 enemies can't really handle the combination of Stoneskin + Improved Invisibility.

With the final tome read, Willow is ready to abuse the hell out of Wish come BG2.

But first, I have to make it through Durlag's.

Which is sadly where Willow's journey ended. She accidentally aggroed the enemies in the chess fight before finishing pre-buffing, and an unlucky Chaos spell made her run around like a headless chicken while getting carved to pieces by the pawns and rooks.

RIP Willow, killed because she never bothered to learn the rules of chess.

Not sure what to try next. I could go for a Cleric or Druid, I suppose, but I don't really like the divine spell list. Maybe I'll try another Dwarven Defender. Barry's journey was a lot of fun and I genuinely think the class is capable of soloing ToB if I don't make too many stupid mistakes.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

In which Cassandra Roguestone learns that there's no business like show business.

We're not five seconds past the gate before some muscle tells us that this town belongs to IRONTHRONE, those sellout losers. The band's not really looking to make waves of that sort but it doesn't look like we have much choice...

Especially with everyone telling us to go to the cops every time we take two steps.

Sorry, wrong house. Again.

We get invited to party with the Merchant's League

Pretty typical morning after.

This is the place we really came to check out.

Listen all y'all, it's a sabotage

Sewers? No way. Cassandra Roguestone and ALAUNDO'S CHOSEN are going back on tour

(Also, we've gotten hold of the tomes of Dexterity, Intelligence, and one tome of Wisdom, which I'm keeping in reserve for now.)

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

docbeard posted:

Sewers? No way. Cassandra Roguestone and ALAUNDO'S CHOSEN are going back on tour

OKAY FINE. Cassandra Roguestone and ALAUNDO'S CHOSEN are going into the sewers.

(Also chalk up another Wisdom tome for the tally)

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb

What is this, Sword Coast Burning Man?

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

I just want to say that all you people doing solo runs, especially making a run at Durlag's Tower solo, have way more guts than me. And a more in-depth knowledge of cheese.

-----

Priest Softface begins her struggle against the Five.

Illasera gets obliterated by a bunch of Horrid Wiltings which I didn't get a screenshot of. However, "a barrage of Horrid Wiltings ends the fight" will become a recurring theme, and if you don't like the spell effect I'm sorry.

The opening stuff goes really well and easily.

I was not joking about Horrid Wiltings.

Neera becomes my favorite NPC right here.

Neera's personal quest in ToB is... hellish. The middle screenshot, with a bunch of wizards and fighters, is right before a fight where Neera has Miscast Magic for the duration. Since she had most of my Horrid Wiltings I had to do it the hard way, with a Clay Golem saving my rear end since nothing they had could harm it.

Ghost Gorion (Ghostrion) gets destroyed.

If they can't get out the door, how did they get in this room in the first place?

The dual nature of Bhaal's taint becomes startlingly literal.

Beautiful.

100k is a far sight from the 50g Tarnesh was trying to claim.

With a lich dual Sunray castings have only let me down once.

I think Draconis and Abazigal are the #3 and 2 most difficult fights in the game. Draconis's transformation keeps me from throwing a full-on barrage at him and draws the fight out, and Abazigal loves to throw out miscast magics and wing buffets. Since he's so fast I loaded up on ammunition and had Minsc and Mazzy Greater Whirlwind him to death with their machine gun bows while he chased around whichever character was closer.

Thanks, Imoen.

Sendai's Enclave is a breeze aside from the Earth Elemental prince who casts Earthquake. But with the threat clear and course of action determined, it's time for me to keep moving forward.

Back to watcher's keep!

By now I've gotten pretty used to dragon fight set-ups, and somehow forgot to throw on a Resist Fear. I didn't forget to use Time Stop and Improved Alacrity on Neera though, and with the Robe of Vecna and amulet from Aran Linvail she can do an astounding amount of damage on her own.

:mad:

Just piling up dead monsters in a wall of corpses.

I sort of forgot that there were 3 pretty big fights here and got all set up for the Demogorgon fight. Luckily nothing goes too wrong and I get down to the fight after a brief speed bump.

Demogorgon took 4-5 runs before I got it right (and figured out that he summons those glabrezus any time he's not in melee. Good thing they give experience). But he can't get up the stairs, and you can rest up by the gates, so it's conducive to multiple iterations to get it right.

This was an odd message to get while checking my contingencies before going into the last fight.

All of this goes pretty much as planned, with a Spell Strike loaded up with Lower Resist for each round.

THIS, however, was a nice happenstance in my favor.

This is one of my favorite things to do in the whole game.

Melissan dies, I let the God of Murder stay dead, and Priest Softface has vanquished all her foes!

Honors:
Irongod, Purist (I am too lazy to install mods :v:), Honorable Trader, Helm's Champion, Roleplayer.

After going through ToB in two marathon sessions I'm going to give it a bit of cooldown before starting another playthrough... probably a lot sloppier thanks to overconfidence.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Dootman posted:

What is this, Sword Coast Burning Man?

Burning Gnome.

(It's the end of a questline from Ascalon's Quest Pack where you retrieve a spellbook for a gnome in the Friendly Arms Inn to find out why a famous gnome wizard who recited a particular mysterious spell disappeared.

Three guesses as to why.)

Softface posted:

Priest Softface has vanquished all her foes!

Congratulations!

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

We're not sure just what we did to make enemies of IRONTHRONE, the most evil, worst, baddest metal band of the Sword Coast, but it's got to end. We're not sure just what this trip to the Baldur's Gate sewers has to do with that, though.

We meet a fan.

I feel like this is every Ogre Mage Top Secret Master Plan ever.

We trash-talk our rivals with the cops.

And confront them at their studio.

Oh, they're rehearsing? EXCELLENT

It's just their backup singers. But it's a start.

The cops give us the top secret BOOK OF ROCK, which gets us back in the door to play one last hometown gig.

Lol okay, "Koveras".

Look, this is not our first time in the Candlekeep drunk tank, okay? Though it is the first time we've been accused of murdering people that we actually didn't...well, okay, no, not that either.

We escape. And now there's only one thing for it. One honorable path left to us. It's not about clearing our name, it's not about the mining crisis, it's not even about averting war with Amn.

It's about rock and roll.

It's time for Cassandra Roguestone and ALAUNDO'S CHOSEN to meet IRONTHRONE in...

THE BATTLE OF THE BANDS

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

When we last left Westley the Cavalier, he had flooded some mines and decided to head north on a whim.

Sorry Ajantis, as I recall you'll come to blows with Dorn. Dorn is a rampaging killbot and I'm not losing him.

Speaking of, I forget that the rest of Dorn's little quest is lurking up by Baldur's Gate. Oops.

Aside from Neera somehow tossing a mass Silence at everyone, it goes well enough.

Off in Baldur's Gate proper, we draw the wrath of the fuzz while stealing magical doodads. They aren't receptive to bribery either.

Ambushing me with no help is a terrible idea, Random Mage.

Way ahead of you, Neera.

Wandering in here...uh, D&D Slimes are bad news. Retreat!

I unwittingly unleash a Slime plague on the commonfolk as they follow me out the door. My bad.

Just for variety, sure, Alora. You and your nice permanent Luck boost can replace Imoen. It's been real.

Pictured: A sole Flaming Fist follows me all the way out of the Hall of Wonders and repeatedly misses swinging a sword at me while I negotiate the rescue of a child. That's good police work. :cop:

I kill this guy thinking he dropped Ogre Gauntlets, but he does not, only +1 Thaco gauntlets. Oh well.

Ramazith takes offense to my rescuing a nymph. Scaling his tower is far more annoying than actually killing him, but he lives next door to a Temple, so.

I remember the party battle at this inn is coming, buff and destroy them without losing any of the allied group. Satisfying.

You kids, if you don't behave I will turn this car around and go back to the Friendly Arm!

Westley the Cavalier is endlessly sidequesting in Baldur's Gate

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The Lord of Murder shall perish
But in his doom he shall spawn a score of mortal progeny
And ROCK will be sown from their passing

Ladies and Gentlemen
Good and Evil
Lawful and Chaotic
Welcome to...

THE BATTLE OF THE BANDS

Featuring the deadliest metal combo of the Sword Coast, the rockers who've brought Baldur's Gate to the brink of war, :

Semaj
Angelo Dosan
Tazok
and the Grand Duke of Death Metal himself, Sarevok Anchev

They are

And the ragtag rockers you've all come to know and love
Soren Sollisgard
Critical Mister
Lyta Stormdrop
Smash the Drummer
Brock Brockson
and Cassandra Roguestone

They are

In this contest there are no rules.

There are no tactics too foul.

There is no mercy for the weak.

There is only the music. And at the end of it all, only one band shall be standing.

WHO WILL IT BE?

(It's us)

Cassandra Roguestone and ALAUNDO'S CHOSEN have beaten back IRONTHRONE, Sarevok, and Baldur's Gate in my first Iron Man victory ever. (This, uh, is not the group I expected to pull it off.)

Honors: Ironling, Librarian, Trap Dodger, Honorable Trader. I think we all know Purist is out, and I'm not counting Double Damage as, while I was playing on Insane, I don't have the extra damage enabled so mostly it just meant more monsters.

Cassandra will be moving on to Siege of Dragonspear (which I've never played before, so THIS SHOULD BE INTERESTING, but I'll probably ditch the band, mostly because I like the NPC banter too much to potentially face three-ish more games without it.

docbeard fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jan 15, 2018

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

docbeard posted:

Cassandra will be moving on to Siege of Dragonspear (which I've never played before, so THIS SHOULD BE INTERESTING, but I'll probably ditch the band, mostly because I like the NPC banter too much to potentially face three-ish more games without it.

Aw, I was enjoying the band flavor text. Still, I wish you luck with SoD!

----

It turns out my cooldown period was a few hours before I jumped back into it.

Here's Mike, a very cool necromancer!

There's only room for one necromancer in this group, Xzar.

Then, on the way to the Friendly Arm Inn, a group of 8 bandits ambushed us and the firing squad executed us in one round. Sorry, Mike.

-----

And here's Mike's brother, Oscar, who also has an interest in necromancy!

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Congrats on your win, wish I had more time to start my second run.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

docbeard posted:

Creative Differences, I suppose? Will Cassandra's new NPC companions be session musicians (ala the Alan Parsons Project) or is Cassandra joining up with other established performers in a supergroup (ala Emerson, Lake and Palmer)

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Softface posted:

Aw, I was enjoying the band flavor text

Oh I wouldn't worry much, as long as my...creativity(?) holds out.

Reveilled posted:

or is Cassandra joining up with other established performers in a supergroup (ala Emerson, Lake and Palmer)

Definitely a supergroup, one of those outfits like Ayreon that gets musicians together to do big bizarre concept albums every so often.

But first, let's look in at ALAUNDO'S CHOSEN'S FINAL GIG

So after their final victory over IRONTHRONE, the band is looking for some R&R but are instead getting some S&M - Skellingtons and Mercenaries.

(They're not really into the other sort, either.)

Gotta love the decor.

(It's a bit weird having to pay attention to non-boss fights again.)

We crash backstage at this holdout club...

Oh hey, it's an IRONTHRONE cover band. SILVERCHA-, never mind.

It's done. The tour is over.

SO WHERE ARE THEY NOW?

Soren's off to record CURSED, a solo concept album about the mummies he dated and the witches he cut off in traffic.

Critical Mister's focusing on his side gig as an EDM (Enchanted Dance Music) DJ for a while.

Smash is gonna go hang out with the few Cloakwood druids that we haven't murdered to explore his spiritual side.

Lyta just sort of left one night. We hear she's taking contract work from the Grand Dukes, though we're not sure whether it's as a singer or an assassin, and it's probably better not to ask.

Brock? Well, someone always needs a roadie.

And Cassandra Roguestone?

Has just had a visit from her biggest fan.

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

This page is already a nightmare to load so I'll just keep it to one image with Oscar's progress on the way to the Cloakwood:

Nice.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Welp, time to make the page more of a nightmare to load, I guess!

When last we looked in on Cassandra Roguestone, now a solo act (though not for long) she'd been taking a well-deserved vacation at the Ducal Palace, spending time with her childhood friend who went into academia. Sort of.

Well, a visit from some hired muscle puts an end to all that, and nearly puts an end to Imoen too. Well, we can't have that. Time to make some noise. And by make some noise I mean get some drinks and hire some drunks.

Not everyone is a music lover.

Cassandra hooks up with this alternative duo, last seen in Gnolltown. Or trio, if you count the hamster. (We don't.)

These groupies just keep getting weirder.

And more persistent.

The sound's not quite right yet, but a girl's gotta sing, and we hear there's a new act tearing things up in the north. So that's where we're headed.

We meet this youngster, and decide to give him a chance.

Enh...maybe you don't get to do the lyrics, kid.

I've heard of captive audiences, but...

...you are NOT joining the band.

Neither are you. The goblin drummer on the other hand...

Our first real encounter with CAELAR AND THE CRUSADERS, and their pyro gets a little out of hand. We can relate.

...I seriously kind of want to join her side because that sounds AWESOME.

But, alas, the ROGUESTONE GALLERY already has commitments. Like a gig in an undead-infested set of caverns.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Vincenzo the fighter/thief continues questing around Athkatla.

I sided with Bodhi for the achievement but didn't get it because of course.

I did get the satisfaction of killing Arkanis Gath who has been a source of frustration for almost 2 decades of playing this game. Too many times I've had something go wrong near a shadow thief and Arkanis appeared to chunk my whole party because of it.

Next I had to get my celestial fury. I think this is the last time I used screen transition cheese to split an enemy group.

Not only would Keldorn not let me go past him in the sewers, he turned hostile over it. OK I guess? It's 1 vs 6 buddy.

There were a lot less gauths and beholders than I remembered, not that I'm complaining. I remembered to let the unseeing eye get its buffs up before hitting it with the superweapon.

Clearing the shadow thief headquarter was hell because I remembered none of it, the last time I did it probably being 15 years ago. Even by inching forward slowly I inadvertently triggered 3 or 4 traps. I was buffed with death ward and chaotic commands though, so there wasn't a whole lot that could happen other than damage. The final fight was fairly easy, I just tossed a cloudkill in the room and let the shadow thieves single file out into a murderzone.

I had forgotten about the invisible thieves at the start of the planar prison area and Edwin fell. I thought I was going to have to do the whole thing with no mage when I remembered I had 2 rods of resurrection. As for the warden, he's super easy once he's wasted all his dangerous spells on thralls. I'm not sure what I'll do next. The planar sphere maybe?

Vincenzo the fighter/thief continues questing around Athkatla.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Congratulations to Softface for his resounding victory, even if he foolishly turned down godhood.

Softface posted:

This page is already a nightmare to load so I'll just keep it to one image with Oscar's progress on the way to the Cloakwood:

The LP subforum is the reason I only display 30 posts per page. Image-heavy threads become a nightmare to read otherwise.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Enough tomfoolery, Westley the Cavalier is getting the endgame on the road.

Shapeshifters at the Seven Suns are no match for my skills.

Scar wastes some more of my time sending me to kill Ogre Mages. Okay...

Through the Iron Throne, where Yeslick gets loving gibbed. No rezzing for him. Turns out I had thrown the Antipode Belt on him and forgot about it :v:

So unpictured I go pick up Viconia. Better not lose any more priests, I think she's the last one...

Hello I am Yeltsew, nice to make your acquaintance. I'm not taking your ring.

The Iron Throne unexpectedly attacks me when I talk to them one too many times. Dorn gets stunned and killed somewhere in here.

Which proves troublesome as I'm then dumped into the Catacombs before I can rez him...

Anyone with a portrait is a friend of mine, good sir.

I'LL KILL YOU DEAD ELMINSTER. OR YOUR DOPPLEGANGER, I'M NOT PICKY

Further in, and...ick, this is where one of my runs ended last year. Tricky fight looming. I send Alora out to invisi-scout things...

Yup, Prat here is a mean bugger, and I'm without my best killer. This will require planning...

Westley the Cavalier is preparing for a Pratfall

DeathChicken fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jan 17, 2018

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Well, like many post-band solo careers, Cassandra Roguestone's was cut tragically short.

In this case by a swarm of undead I was less prepared for than I thought and a healing potion that took a little too long to kick in.

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb
RIP Cassandra Roguestone, couldn't get her fix in time.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

So yeah, Prat takes some chicanery. A Ring of Free Action on Westley, a skeleton summoned for distraction. Neera tosses a Web at Prat's group. Westley runs in and beats the poo poo out of Prat until dead.

Run back out of the room, sleep. Worst that happens here is a single Doppleganger ambush if it fails, who cares.

Head back in, repeat the process one by one until everyone is dead. Simple enough.

Escaping the Catacombs, I run all the way back to Beregost and find I never actually killed Karlat. I'm a might overleveled for him :v:

Back to Baldur's Gate, it's time to start whittling down Sarevok's help. Admittedly I never would have bothered coming back to the Iron Throne if Tamoko hadn't tipped me off...

Slythe is somehow fast enough to keep pace with Alora who is wearing haste boots. This works against him as he follows her all the way down to my group proper without his girlfriend, he's promptly murdered.

As for Krystin, a skeleton is sent up to make her waste her nastier tricks like Cloudkill (which obliterates a whole bunch of prostitutes). Then I use some Dispel arrows I'd been sitting on to ruin her.

Annoyingly Sarevok kills Viconia before going away, then the game teleports me to the Thieves Guild before I can grab her stuff, necessitating a return trip here to take her things back...

And with that done, Westley the Cavalier is hunting down his dickhead brother. Yay.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Westley proceeds through the maze, where the biggest danger is lovely pathfinding...

Really, who thought this was a good idea?

The final assassin group is dealt with via a whole lot of Alora backstabbing and then running the hell away from their magic to the screen transition.

Yes Tamoko, I am surely letting you go out of nicety and not because I don't want to fight you and that gaggle of undead to the south at the same time.

So Sarevok. I send Alora invisi-scouting again to start. This fails, he sees her anyway...

Which prompts Magey Magoo to Shadow Door down to the rest of the group, I guess because they were actually visible...

Well that's bad. Alora can outrun the Chaos projectile to a degree, but I can't run north or Sarevok and his buddies will come get me...

Not sure if this will work. Maybe?

Yay. With him down, I send my skeleton friend up to get killed by Sarevok.

Creep up and unload some Detonation arrows on him, but this does little...

Get caught by a Web from...somewhere? Hell if I know. Don't even see anything on the screen that would have set it off...

In a fit of desperation I use one of my Paralyze wands on Sarevok, it works! I proceed to plink him to death with arrows.

Westley the Cavalier is the new Lord of Murder!

Honors: Ironling, Born Hero, Purist, Honorable Trader, ThebadgethatshouldexistfortakingNeeraalongthewholetimebutdoesnt

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009
I really shouldn't be doing this for various reasons but...

Rembront the Wild Mage steps out of Candlekeep full of confidence and Sleep spells.

But of course Tarnesh is too high level for Sleep, thankfully a guard manages to take him down.

The initial plan is to get as fast as possible to level 6 in order to get better saving throws. I thought briefly about loitering in the Ankheg infested farms after picking up Ajantis but since the Fairy Dragon familiar is immune to petrifying attacks I took the Basilisk route instead.

Korax and a familiar make a good tag team.

I almost mess it up when I got greedy and attacked those guys without resting (Horror might have saved Korax).

:(

What... so, Basilisks do have a melee attack?

Rembront the Wild Mage learns something new and dies! In what has to be the most disappointing Wild Mage run ever with a grand total of 0 wild surges.

Might try it again with the Ankheg plan since I'm out of ideas for a more serious character.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Yeah, I was kind of surprised when I made Dorn immune to Petrification, sent him waltzing up to kill the basilisk at the Docks, and it almost beat him to death. Was like, the hell

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I actually thought that in 2nd edition, basilisks had their long-range petrifying gaze *and* a short-range poison breath... thing that could kill in a trice. If they did have the letter in pen & paper, it wasn't implemented in BG. More than likely I'm just misremembering.

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

docbeard posted:

Well, like many post-band solo careers, Cassandra Roguestone's was cut tragically short.

In this case by a swarm of undead I was less prepared for than I thought and a healing potion that took a little too long to kick in.

Her music will always live on in my heart.

-----

Now for some pictures from Oscar the Necromancer's whirlwind tour of the Sword Coast.

Davaeron is getting easier each time I kill him. I think next time I'll just have a cleric animate some skeleton warriors and see how they do.

No remorse.

I've never kept a low rep for the entire game so this is all new to me.

I finally found the ogre mage room :toot:

A two-pronged attack, preceded by a fireball barrage, makes this child's play.

I didn't get any pictures of my trip to Wizard Island, but a cadre of skeletons directed by an invisible thief trivializes the whole thing.

And here are monuments to my hubris. Barely got out of the bit with the Phoenix Guard - I had never realized that I need to use lightning to kill them before, this is the first time I haven't had someone using Adisheena.

Something about this looks... off.

Sarevok gets dunked on again, and I'm off to Dragonspear! I had Iron Party up until the Duchal Palace fight when a doppleganger locked onto Safana and I couldn't get her invisible in time. Oh well, next run.

Honors: Ironling, Purist, Librarian, Trap Dodger, Iron Party, Battlemaster, Roleplayer.

Oh, and before I forget...

:(

JustJeff88 posted:

I actually thought that in 2nd edition, basilisks had their long-range petrifying gaze *and* a short-range poison breath... thing that could kill in a trice. If they did have the letter in pen & paper, it wasn't implemented in BG. More than likely I'm just misremembering.

I just checked my old monster manual. Greater Basilisks and Dracolisks have a five-foot range poison breath, Lesser Basilisks only have the gaze and melee attacks.

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009
Oh, what the hell, let's give it another go. I think I will take it slower this time, I really really wan't to play through SoD some day.

Jumbo the Shaman prepares for departure (from Candlekeep):

While speeding through the keep looking for extra funds, Shank pulls out the dickest move I have seen... he shouts thief to the Watchers just before getting chopped.

Firebead's "donation" went straight to the library.

On the way to the FAI I get the bandit ambush. Luckily I had the ogre belt, Imoen did not:

I barely had enough to resurrect her and after realeasing the (spirit) hounds on Tarnesh, went to pick up Ajantis.

Jumbo the Shaman has just arrived at Beregost and is looking for a good tavern to drink away his worries.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

In an extremely creative bout of originality, Corbomite D. Hayes sets out to follow in the footsteps of his brothers. Well, hopefully not all of their footsteps.

Now featuring the dark SoD UI.

We set some assassins and ne'er-do-wells on fire, as per spec.

Neera's turned herself into a wolf. Okay, we'll do that.

Our theory that Kagain is not so much a dwarf as some sort of alcohol golem is, alas, disproven.

After careful reflection, we have reconsidered your offer to accompany us, Pack Mule, uh, Ajantis.

Corbomite D. Hayes is on his way south.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
Alright, let's try this again with Rekka Bashensmash the Undead Hunter, also solo, because I will do a solo ironman run one of these times.

It took so long to get these stats even with an autoroller.

Sorry, Imoen.

REKKA BASH.

Yoink.

REKKA SMASH.

REKKA AND KARLAT CLASH.

And, with some levels in, REKKA THRASH.

REKKA GRAB SYMBOL FOR CASH.

Melicamp lives.

REKKA TURN DAER'RAGH TO ASH.

And onward to the mines with Rekka.

Tumblr of scotch fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jan 20, 2018

• Locked thread