Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
this is to UI design what spaceballs is to security

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Klyith posted:

this is to UI design what spaceballs is to security

Not enough skinny jeans or mustaches to implement a single page app that looks good.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Is it worth going through the hassle of setting up Two-Channel Auto-Type Obfuscation on KeePass and using it where you can or is it way too much for a regular person like me on my home desktop (i.e. no work or sensitive data) and copying/pasting through KeyPass is enough?

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Mystic Stylez posted:

Is it worth going through the hassle of setting up Two-Channel Auto-Type Obfuscation on KeePass and using it where you can or is it way too much for a regular person like me on my home desktop (i.e. no work or sensitive data) and copying/pasting through KeyPass is enough?

That feature is mostly BS -- since keyloggers are typically way more sophisticated than just key/clipboard spies -- but it doesn't really hurt to turn it on for entries where you use auto-type already.

Auto-type is pretty handy, but be real careful with it. If your focus is on the wrong form element or something, it could result in your password being auto-typed into the wrong textbox. It's best for forms/dialogs that will never change their layout (i.e. nothing on the lovely web that has bored/stupid product-manager-directed redesigns of login forms)

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved
What I do is disable the enter key at the end of the auto-type key sequence, so I can review exactly what box it stuck my password into.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

EssOEss posted:

What I do is disable the enter key at the end of the auto-type key sequence, so I can review exactly what box it stuck my password into.

Just worth noting that while this will stop you from accidentally entering your password in to a random field, if a malicious site is trying to exploit autofill it could be reading the form values with Javascript or just submitting the form in the background.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

"This code uses the _mm_stream_si128() Intel intrinsic to cause your CPU to play music on AM radio at 1580kHz".

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

That is so loving cool.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Holy poo poo this owns.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/EFF/status/954171556455788544

https://twitter.com/SwiftOnSecurity/status/954196685181407232

Edit:

https://twitter.com/SwiftOnSecurity/status/954204279929176065

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jan 19, 2018

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

The easy-mode takeaway from that is stop trusting 3rd party sources.

The hard-mode takeaway is what is the solution for people locked away from the official app distribution by a state actor? Using those apps to avoid surveillance is why they need to rely on side-loading in the first place.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Last link is a no go. Screenie?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Samizdata posted:

Last link is a no go. Screenie?

poo poo, I didn't think to screenshot it. It was something about a website not functioning in Safari so they tried to use Brave without adblock and it immediately attempted to hijack to an untrusted website.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/SwiftOnSecurity/status/954208996495327232

This time with screenshot:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

poo poo, man, the crap some sites go to to get ad bucks. And the "legit" advertisers ask us why we block ads...

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Why is that news? It’s well known that there are poo poo ad networks out there that serve malware, loving JavaScript bitcoin miners, and system prompts that try to look as close to iOS/android assets as possible.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Boris Galerkin posted:

Why is that news? It’s well known that there are poo poo ad networks out there that serve malware, loving JavaScript bitcoin miners, and system prompts that try to look as close to iOS/android assets as possible.
The SwiftOnSecurity twitter account is one of those parody accounts where you're supposed to think it's hilarious that a woman could be any good at computers.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Whoever is behind the SwiftOnSecurity account is just a scub-tier Windows computer janitor who thinks spamming furry stuff is hi-lar-ious. Oh and they get burrhurt easily if you call them out.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Back in my day we had Bruce Schneier memes and we liked it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I have followed and then unfollowed the Swift Twitter account a couple of times because the sheer amount of shitposting is overwhelming. Also the quantity of manual janitoring they promote is insane, like crafting a bunch of regex filters to redirect suspect email to themselves personally for inspection and then sitting back with a poo poo eating grin as though that’s somehow the greatest way to solve phishing.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

anthonypants posted:

The SwiftOnSecurity twitter account is one of those parody accounts where you're supposed to think it's hilarious that a woman could be any good at computers.

I thought the joke wasn't "a woman" but "Taylor Swift" specifically? Is that not the case?

poo poo. :(

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I thought the joke wasn't "a woman" but "Taylor Swift" specifically? Is that not the case?

poo poo. :(

The “joke” is that it’s a pop star AND that it’s a lol woman, though the emphasis is on the later. As an experiment, replace Taylor Swift with Bruno Mars in your mind.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Dadbod Apocalypse posted:

The “joke” is that it’s a pop star AND that it’s a lol woman, though the emphasis is on the later. As an experiment, replace Taylor Swift with Bruno Mars in your mind.

Yeah, still funny.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Proteus Jones posted:

Yeah, still funny.

Yep.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Funnier if it's The Rock. Or Macho Man, but

Proteus Jones posted:

Yeah, still funny.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Stone Cold on Security would loving own. brb spinning up that gimmick account

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

If your joke is "CELEBRITY doing THING" then that's going to become stale 1k tweets later.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

A parody macho man account with legit secfuck content would be p amazing

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

cheese-cube posted:

If your joke is "CELEBRITY doing THING" then that's going to become stale 1k tweets later.
Well, that’s more than enough to win people office...

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Mick Foley on Security

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Weekly Infosec Podcast by Gilbert Gottfried

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
Nah. I just want to see Denis Leary do a thing on infosec.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

cheese-cube posted:

Weekly Infosec Podcast by Gilbert Gottfried

If he puts as much effort into it as he did with his delivery of The Aristocrats then I am sold.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

If he puts as much effort into it as he did with his delivery of The Aristocrats then I am sold.

Same, actually. This would be great.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

It makes things easier when you realise that every single CVE submission is just an Aristocrats joke.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Thanks Ants posted:

Mick Foley on Security
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLHL75H_VEM

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

anthonypants posted:

I think she mentioned once that Taylor Swift is actually her name. It just so happens that it's a name shared by a pop star.

I don't see her gender emphasized anywhere in her tweets, but I've only been following for a few months.

poemdexter fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jan 19, 2018

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

poemdexter posted:

I think she mentioned once that Taylor Swift is actually her name. It just so happens that it's a name shared by a pop star.
They also post pictures of themself, but if you look carefully they are actually pictures of Taylor Swift, the famous pop singer/songwriter.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

anthonypants posted:

They also post pictures of themself, but if you look carefully they are actually pictures of Taylor Swift, the famous pop singer/songwriter.

Welp. I enjoy her dystopian future tech fanfiction more than anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

he/she wrote a manifesto on why swift was chosen.

https://pastebin.com/mSYM5HS4
https://swiftonsecurity.tumblr.com/post/96422201504/do-you-worry-that-reporting-on-the-leaks-from-an