Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

darkwasthenight posted:

Remember how there was that scheme in Austin to turn homeless people into mobile WiFi routers? Same but harnessing their brain electrics to use as miners.

Are...are you serious?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Darth TNT posted:

Are...are you serious?

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2012/03/13/technology/homeless-as-wi-fi-transmitters-creates-a-stir-in-austin.html?referer=http://www.google.com/

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

french lies posted:

That’s the case for almost all technological innovation in recent times though. Like I’ve gotten at multiple times, if it can solve existing problems faster and/or cheaper (I.e. employing less people) then there will be an interest in adopting it.

It can't though.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

BumCoin ICO, all of the proceeds go to the homeless

Khorne
May 1, 2002

quote:

Lol. Ever hear of a thing called lighting network? Bitcoin like all crypto is evolving code. Soon the transactions will have lower fees than any credit card and scale just the same. Get used to the words block chain because it's going to be the back end of several technologies in the future.

"Get used to the words block chain" really cracks me up.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Alpha Mayo posted:

What is innovative about blockchain? It literally is just a sequence of data blocks with a signature in the header of the previous header. Hash trees have been around for 40+ years. Blockchain is nothing databases/transaction systems haven't done better for decades.
You can put block chain in a sales pitch on your xyz implementation with a cool 10% premium cause everybody wants block chain now that the crypto bubble has made it household. You know like hosting your butt on the cloud.

Seriously there's renewed interest in security schemes to try and ease outsiders into your walled garden. Like traditionally there's huge efficiencies if you can convince your suppliers or customers into your ERP totally but it's a hard sell when your security holds the one and only source of keys in or out. EDI interfaces are a good solution for the majority of relationships since you can hook together a couple ERPs or a ERP and a small sales offices manual book keeper with a mostly automated way. But there's some security schemes opportunities to make things like auditors happier about not having to get their access from your security department or getting real time inventory triggering replenishment orders without a layer of time through the EDI.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
*makes transaction on coinbase*
look mom im using blockchain

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

french lies posted:

Lol you literally haven’t paid attention to anything I said have you. You’re arguing against your mental model of a “true believer”.

I wrote what I wrote because I read what you've written. Most of your posts describe hypothetical benefits that either A) aren't possible with cryptocurrencies as they exist today due to technical limitations or B) are more easily achievable with other technologies that don't rely on cryptocurrencies. This leads to one conclusion: you don't understand the technical details.

I haven't accused you of being a true believer, only of falling for empty promises.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
What I don't get about Bitcoin is how all the true believers who have been there since the beginning keep yelling that hodl crap. I mean, I missed out, but if I have had a number of those coins for a long period of time I'd be more than happy to cash out now at 10k, like how greedy can you be to not be satisfied with a 1000%+ profit?

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Original_Z posted:

What I don't get about Bitcoin is how all the true believers who have been there since the beginning keep yelling that hodl crap. I mean, I missed out, but if I have had a number of those coins for a long period of time I'd be more than happy to cash out now at 10k, like how greedy can you be to not be satisfied with a 1000%+ profit?

The guys from the beginning are dumbass libertarians who literally believe that crypto will replace traditional currency

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

QuarkJets posted:

I wrote what I wrote because I read what you've written. Most of your posts describe hypothetical benefits that either A) aren't possible with cryptocurrencies as they exist today due to technical limitations or B) are more easily achievable with other technologies that don't rely on cryptocurrencies. This leads to one conclusion: you don't understand the technical details.

I haven't accused you of being a true believer, only of falling for empty promises.
but quarkjets smart contracts. smart contracts! never mind that you dont need to use a blockchain to have smart contracts and i dont know why anyone would think you have to

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Original_Z posted:

like how greedy can you be to not be satisfied with a 1000%+ profit?

A bunch of people invested in a crypto ponzi scheme that promised guaranteed 1% daily interest payments. This would mean if you put $100 in, you'd have about $3800 after a year. They were so greedy that they ignored that it was an obvious scam.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Original_Z posted:

like how greedy can you be to not be satisfied with a 1000%+ profit?

Replace greedy with stupid.

Sneaky Wombat
Jan 9, 2010

I want to link to a article now. Is that dipshit still around to read about blockchain snake oil??

https://www.computerworld.com.au/article/606253/understanding-blockchain-hype-why-much-it-nothing-more-than-snake-oil-spin/

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die

Inept posted:

A bunch of people invested in a crypto ponzi scheme that promised guaranteed 1% daily interest payments. This would mean if you put $100 in, you'd have about $3800 after a year. They were so greedy that they ignored that it was an obvious scam.

Wait you're telling me we can't all be the richest man* in the world in 5 years? You need to do more research.

*I'm comfortable assuming gender here

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Original_Z posted:

if you start with "bitcoin will replace fiat" as a premise, as most true believers do, then holding until bitcoin replaces fiat is rational

obviously that premise is wrong so instead of being rational they're actually just delusional

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Andy Dufresne posted:

*I'm comfortable assuming gender here

Excuse me but there’s a chart

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/ZettoSan03/status/953688383510982661

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Good news: I finally got the blockchain out of my rear end using a plastic spork and coffee straw

Bad news: My mom is really mad at me because I took the yearly insurance money and invested it in MooGooGaiPanCoin

I tried to tell her if we just HODL we'll get a 1000% return by July

Satchel and Trunk
Nov 4, 2008
What ever happened to the bitcoin vaporizing trick where you could get someone to transfer their butts to a nonexistent wallet address, permanently destroying those coins in the process? I feel like that's still the most legitimate use of butts, to make libertarians cry (and of course the resulting lols.)

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I feel like it is just a matter of time before someone comes up with a way to empty wallets efficiently.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Waltzing Along posted:

I feel like it is just a matter of time before someone comes up with a way to empty wallets efficiently.

Star citizen

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Waltzing Along posted:

bitcoin is emptying real wallets quite well :confused:

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Waltzing Along posted:

It's already easier to do that than actual mining. Actually, know what is easier than that? Printing tether.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YagUXXtyFn4

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

They’re referring to a city block, where the homeless will be chained so they can’t leave and ruin the rest of the city

Block chained

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Put this in the OP

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

SEC and CFTC issued a joint statement today:

quote:

"When market participants engage in fraud under the guise of offering digital instruments – whether characterized as virtual currencies, coins, tokens, or the like – the SEC and the CFTC will look beyond form, examine the substance of the activity and prosecute violations of the federal securities and commodities laws. The Divisions of Enforcement for the SEC and CFTC will continue to address violations and bring actions to stop and prevent fraud in the offer and sale of digital instruments."
https://www.sec.gov/news/public-statement/joint-statement-sec-and-cftc-enforcement-directors

hopefully they take a sledgehammer to bitconnect

Uranium 235 fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jan 19, 2018

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Uranium 235 posted:

https://www.sec.gov/news/public-statement/joint-statement-sec-and-cftc-enforcement-directors

AKA Tether's "legal notice" isn't worth poo poo.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Uranium 235 posted:

nah

use a w88, it'll be more effective.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Original_Z posted:

It seems to me the people yelling about "hodl" are the ones that bought in at a high price and are hoping for Bitcoin to return to that level.

Jikes
Dec 18, 2005

candy of the ocean

Sneaky Wombat posted:

I want to link to a article now. Is that dipshit still around to read about blockchain snake oil??

https://www.computerworld.com.au/article/606253/understanding-blockchain-hype-why-much-it-nothing-more-than-snake-oil-spin/

This is really good, thanks.

Fame Douglas posted:

It seems to me the people yelling about "hodl" are the ones that bought in at a high price and are hoping for Bitcoin to return to that level.

Or the ones who are bound and determined that their funbux is going to net them private-island-level money. There are people out there who put $500 in and now it's worth $5000 or even $50000, but they think if they just keep waiting and everyone else does too then it'll turn into five million.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

Holy poo poo. Holy poo poo. Holy poo poo. This is the striking gold version of "who invests in bitconnect"

https://www.reddit.com/user/ElJefeDeykon

Invested my company funds $125,000.00 (/r/BCC)

quote:

My company throw car show in Austin, TX in March n I invest our funds all of it so we can have more money for the event. It all gone now thanks to satish. I need to sell him my bcc back for dollars n I heard he was buying back for less money. How can I sell it for money to get some my company's funds back?

Thank you

[...]

No to my investors now n ask em for more money to pay staff n event costs. These dudes is big car guys in LA with lotta money. Bugatti money. Im jus embarrased.

[...]

No I invest December 15, 2017. The car show be happenin in March. I have 2 months to get money to pay staff!!

[...]

Thx. Times like these I go to the word. Ephesians 4:31-32 helpin me forgive people like him.

Later on...

[Texas] Invested my company money in ponzi and lost all of it. (/r/legaladvice)

quote:

I invest my companys funds in a ponzi and they run wit da money. I need money for March when we havin the car show. I gots to pay my workers and staff. Can I lawsuit the ponzi people for my money back? I need it by March. THX

[...]

I am owner of my company. We have investors that pay us to throw car show. I took funds and invest in BITCONNECT in DEC 2017. They run wit money n I dunno what to do.

[...]

I didnt do nothin wrong tho. I just invest money to make more money for show. Was sposed to get 30% more money each month.

BUT WAIT, this is obviously a troll right? Nope, this guy actually hosted a "donk contest" in Austin last year. Let's consult Glassdoor

quote:

I worked at Donk Contest as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Free alcohol on the job.

Cons

Everything. The founder Deykon Harris has zero organizational skills and expects too much from temporary employees. He didn't even get the correct permits for a gigantic event. Bush league.

Advice to Management

Hire people to replace Deykon.

What about YouTube?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUaSXskO8rY

White Phosphorus
Sep 12, 2000

Sten Freak posted:

The one stock that went up the most as a percentage still sits in my account now worth 0 so I cannot even sell it. :lol:

You should buy the rest of it to take control of the company, change name to include the word "block chain" and issue an ICO. Become billionaire overnight.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

This is like one of those incredibly complicated machines on old Bugs Bunny cartoons where you're lead though an intricate system of gears, switches, and chemical reactions, and at the end a lovely little Whoopie Cushion with the ACME logo comes out of a chute.

:10bux: says this plays over the background noise in his electricity wasting factory.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9-7uLg-DZU

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Rough Lobster posted:

This is like one of those incredibly complicated machines on old Bugs Bunny cartoons where you're lead though an intricate system of gears, switches, and chemical reactions, and at the end a lovely little Whoopie Cushion with the ACME logo comes out of a chute.

:10bux: says this plays over the background noise in his electricity wasting factory.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9-7uLg-DZU

rube goldberg machine

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
So what is an actual commercial potential of blockchain? Can a company like IBM develop a business-to-business, enterprise solution and develop a consulting, installation, and support business around it? Is it at all applicable to data analysis or their Watson project?

Where the gently caress is it useful besides scamming rubes out of their money?

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

It's a lovely database with a gimmick. We have databases

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
https://twitter.com/ButtCoin/status/954164934975266817

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Everyone knows Pegglecoins are the future of cryptocurrency anyway. Who wouldn't want to use the cryptocurrenccy used by ultimate peggle masters all over the world?