Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

And More posted:

Maybe you could help me with another movie I've been trying to find. I saw this one in the 90s. It's probably from the 50s, and I believe it's in black and white. I remember a scene inside some sort mill or clock tower. A bunch of men are chasing a blind woman. They're stumbling around on a staircase in the dark while she is just standing there and listening.

At first I thought it might be Wait Until Dark with Audrey Hepburn, but that mostly takes place in her apartment.

The Spiral Staircase? I have seen the scene in question without a doubt in like a 'this is a good old horror movie' type of video. Havent seen the movie though, so not sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

ButtWolf posted:

The Spiral Staircase? I have seen the scene in question without a doubt in like a 'this is a good old horror movie' type of video. Havent seen the movie though, so not sure.

That movie really seems to fit well. It's got the big staircase, a mute woman and people sneaking in from the coal cellar. It's not the right one, though. :(

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

I am trying to remember a movie, I believe from the 90s. I feel like it was a made-for-tv movie but I may have just watched it on TV. It is about a family that, somehow, gets stuck in a frozen wasteland. All I remember is the dad and son (i think) cutting black frostbitten flesh from their feet and the daughter goes crazy and hallucinates that a handful of worms is a homecooked meal. It is not Snowbound: The Jim and Jennifer Stolpa Story or Avalanche.

Anyone have any idea what I am talking about?

EDIT: FOUND IT! Anything to Survive (1990)

York_M_Chan fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jan 10, 2018

Capn Jobe
Jan 18, 2003

That's right. Here it is. But it's like you always have compared the sword, the making of the sword, with the making of the character. Cuz the stronger, the stronger it will get, right, the stronger the steel will get, with all that, and the same as with the character.
Soiled Meat
Somehow I've remembered the following quotes; hopefully someone can remember what movie/TV show they're from. I might not remember them exactly, but they should be close enough to be recognizable.

quote:

Someone's lost in the desert, and they see an oasis. But when they arrive, and it's a mirage, they just drink the sand. Is it because they're thirsty? No, it's because they don't know the loving difference!

quote:

Everyone knows if you invent something, you get to name it after you. Just look at Doug Reacharound!

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

That first one seems similar to the American president

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Doug Reacharound is from a very early episode of American Dad

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

What animated short is this character from?

I thought I recognized him, but then realized I was thinking of the somewhat similar-looking caveman character from the Disney short "Reason and Emotion" (1943).

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

Pastry of the Year posted:

I thought I recognized him, but then realized I was thinking of the somewhat similar-looking caveman character from the Disney short "Reason and Emotion" (1943).

Pretty sure that is the giant from Disney's Mickey and The Beanstalk.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

York_M_Chan posted:

Pretty sure that is the giant from Disney's Mickey and The Beanstalk.

A few elements in common, but...

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

A few elements in common, but...

I had never seen this, but holy poo poo, now I know where the Ghost of Christmas Present comes from, in Mickey's Christmas Carol. Nice!

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

So I recall watching a movie on some movie channel (HBO maybe?) in the 00s. Movie was released likely in the 90s or 00s. The plot is a whodunnit with a officer/hunter/tracker of some sort (I THINK it's Robert Patrick but I'm probably wrong) figuring out who is murdering a bunch of doctors.

Investigation leads them to a debilitated-looking guy being taken care of his mother. They blow it off because it's clear he looks like he can't beat up a wet paper bag and keep searching.

Turns out the guy is actually healthy enough to walk and we find out the guy is killing these doctors because they were the ones that performed his mother's failed abortion. He reveals it to his mother and kills her. Protagonist (aka Hunter-tracker-cop-maybe-T-1000) realizes. I want to say it ends with him killing the guy and possibly sacrificing himself to do it (maybe tackling him into an elevator shaft?), but I'm not sure. Movie had a very "dim" lighting, similar to Law & Order/Law & Order SVU episode.

My memory is so murky, but the only detail I remember for sure was it being an abortion survivor killing his doctors.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
Okay here’s one for you swell fellows! This is the only scene I happened to be paying attention to - it was on as background noise

Where I watched it: pretty sure it was on HBO, not absolutely certain

When: my later childhood/early teens (late 80’s/early 90’s)

The scene was in some kind of talk show with a studio audience. The host and guest were both men, and the guest was a famous animator, and was there to promote his latest cartoon starring his creations,the “Funny Bunnies” We are informed the FB are beloved the world over. There is some small talk.

Roll the animated clip. I remember it being in the style of a Don Bluth cartoon.

Scene: family of Funny Bunnies going to a picnic. They are annoyingly, sickeningly cheerful, and greet all the things around them (“Hello, Mr. Tree!” Etc) and day just how gosh darn wonderful the world is and how good it is to be alive.

The Bunnies continue to be all cheerful as they cross a set of train tracks. One of them notices ol’ Mr. Sun has made the tar soft and they quickly become stuck. They gradually begin to panic, particularly when the warning lights flash and an approaching train horn is heard.

One of the Bunnies notes that perhaps the Wonderful World isn’t so Wonderful after all.

SPLAT! Gory discretion side shot as the train runs them over and keeps on running. End of clip.

The Host and audience are stunned silent. The Animator is very nonchalant about it.

Finally the Host recovers enough to ask, shakily, “uh, so! How ever do they get out of that one?”

Animator: “Oh, they don’t. They died.”

Host and audience break down crying as the words set in, as the Animator announces his retirement/quitting the industry.

I have never encountered this movie since then! But the animated segment probably will tip one of you off right way!

Edit: also they were literally called the “Funny Bunnies” in the movie

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Man, I have no idea about that Funny Bunnies one, but it almost sounds like a skit-show (like Mr Show).

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

What was the flash? series about overly cute squeaky bunnies that always ends in gore.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Chop Sunni posted:

What was the flash? series about overly cute squeaky bunnies that always ends in gore.

Happy Tree Friends?

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Man, I have no idea about that Funny Bunnies one, but it almost sounds like a skit-show (like Mr Show).

It’s possible. I don’t remember the quality of the animation, just the style. The movie didn’t stop after that scene, it cut to the Animator (who was the protagonist) talking to a woman (the only other clue I have, sorry)

Chop Sunni posted:

Happy Tree Friends! But this predates flash by a goodly amount. I may even have been younger, I do know I didn’t dream it up (I didn’t understand the cynicism of a creator killing his own creations, and I also cried because the cute bunnies died ok is that what you want I CRIED OVER THE FUNNY BUNNIES)

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
avenge me

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Definitely Happy Tree Friends thanks!

Chubby Henparty fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jan 11, 2018

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Literally Kermit posted:

Okay here’s one for you swell fellows! This is the only scene I happened to be paying attention to - it was on as background noise

Where I watched it: pretty sure it was on HBO, not absolutely certain

When: my later childhood/early teens (late 80’s/early 90’s)

The scene was in some kind of talk show with a studio audience. The host and guest were both men, and the guest was a famous animator, and was there to promote his latest cartoon starring his creations,the “Funny Bunnies” We are informed the FB are beloved the world over. There is some small talk.

Roll the animated clip. I remember it being in the style of a Don Bluth cartoon.

Scene: family of Funny Bunnies going to a picnic. They are annoyingly, sickeningly cheerful, and greet all the things around them (“Hello, Mr. Tree!” Etc) and day just how gosh darn wonderful the world is and how good it is to be alive.

The Bunnies continue to be all cheerful as they cross a set of train tracks. One of them notices ol’ Mr. Sun has made the tar soft and they quickly become stuck. They gradually begin to panic, particularly when the warning lights flash and an approaching train horn is heard.

One of the Bunnies notes that perhaps the Wonderful World isn’t so Wonderful after all.

SPLAT! Gory discretion side shot as the train runs them over and keeps on running. End of clip.

The Host and audience are stunned silent. The Animator is very nonchalant about it.

Finally the Host recovers enough to ask, shakily, “uh, so! How ever do they get out of that one?”

Animator: “Oh, they don’t. They died.”

Host and audience break down crying as the words set in, as the Animator announces his retirement/quitting the industry.

I have never encountered this movie since then! But the animated segment probably will tip one of you off right way!

Edit: also they were literally called the “Funny Bunnies” in the movie

Long shot, but One Crazy Summer had Cute And Fuzzy Bunnies getting shot up by the rhinoceros personification of the main character:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPGVdIgBJNI

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Abugadu posted:

Long shot, but One Crazy Summer had Cute And Fuzzy Bunnies getting shot up by the rhinoceros personification of the main character:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPGVdIgBJNI

I remember the rhino!!! Gotta track this down, thank you!

I was six or seven when I saw it? Jesus.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Isn't this someone's avatar? You should probably just ask them where it's from.

:stonklol:

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I saw the first half this on TCM like ten years ago, so I can't specify much beyond this:

It's WW2 and there's a thunderstorm - the opening is a voiceover about the eight or ten or however many people were captured and held in a German POW camp who tried to escape. There are a few quick sequences of the paths some of the escapees take, but they're all caught and/or executed, iirc offscreen, like the camera pans away as soon as gunfire sounds. The voiceover says the main guy is the only one left and the last hope or the last memory or the last something of what they saw, and this is his story.

It's black and white and there are a lot of shots of gravestones at the beginning for the other guys who died.

For some reason I thought it was called Cross of Iron, but I learned it was extremely not that when I went to look it up weeks later. I wouldn't be surprised if it had "Cross" or "Iron" in the title though, but that's been no help in looking it up.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Another WW2 movie where a German tanker(?) argues with an officer about Americans shipping chocolate cake across the sea while they're running their tanks on recycled oil, improvised spare parts and stolen gasoline.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

MariusLecter posted:

Another WW2 movie where a German tanker(?) argues with an officer about Americans shipping chocolate cake across the sea while they're running their tanks on recycled oil, improvised spare parts and stolen gasoline.

Battle of the Bulge.

Solo
Mar 25, 2003
Funny text here

Power of Pecota posted:

I saw the first half this on TCM like ten years ago, so I can't specify much beyond this:

It's WW2 and there's a thunderstorm - the opening is a voiceover about the eight or ten or however many people were captured and held in a German POW camp who tried to escape. There are a few quick sequences of the paths some of the escapees take, but they're all caught and/or executed, iirc offscreen, like the camera pans away as soon as gunfire sounds. The voiceover says the main guy is the only one left and the last hope or the last memory or the last something of what they saw, and this is his story.

It's black and white and there are a lot of shots of gravestones at the beginning for the other guys who died.

For some reason I thought it was called Cross of Iron, but I learned it was extremely not that when I went to look it up weeks later. I wouldn't be surprised if it had "Cross" or "Iron" in the title though, but that's been no help in looking it up.

Could it be The Seventh Cross?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

SolarFire2 posted:

Battle of the Bulge.

Thanks!

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Solo posted:

Could it be The Seventh Cross?

Nailed it, thanks!

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Power of Pecota posted:

Nailed it, thanks!

Nice

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
I watched a movie (or TV show) recently that played a Xiu Xiu song over the end credits, does anyone know what this might be?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Human Tornada posted:

I watched a movie (or TV show) recently that played a Xiu Xiu song over the end credits, does anyone know what this might be?

I also saw this and the only tv show I watched in recent memory was Happy! with Chris Meloni.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Human Tornada posted:

It was Creep 2.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
A thriller about people vying for control of a clothing company that had to have been made some time in the mid 90s, like 97 at the latest as that's when I saw it on TV. The only things I remember are a scene where someone screens a new commercial to their boss but he freaks out because it's too controversial, and a scene where a woman attempts to beat herself up as part of an elaborate way to set up this other character as being an unstable lunatic but she did it in this extremely convoluted way. She like ties heavy sack of stuff to a rope, hangs it from the ceiling of her mansion, and then throws it away and lets it swing back into her face repeatedly. This is NOT the wrecking ball scene from the Death Wish Club film that was used in Night Train to Terror.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
Finally figured out the mystery of a movie I'd been trying to remember the name of forever. Caught a bit of a Goonies ripoff on TV when I was a kid, never was able to find it again. Turns out it was The Treasure from 1990 (not to be confused with Treasure Island from the same year). On the off chance someone else out there is hunting for it, I thought I'd mention it.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

codyclarke posted:

Finally figured out the mystery of a movie I'd been trying to remember the name of forever. Caught a bit of a Goonies ripoff on TV when I was a kid, never was able to find it again. Turns out it was The Treasure from 1990 (not to be confused with Treasure Island from the same year). On the off chance someone else out there is hunting for it, I thought I'd mention it.

But the real question is, do any of the kids say "I thought you kept this car cherry, boy"?

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Origami Dali posted:

But the real question is, do any of the kids say "I thought you kept this car cherry, boy"?

you mock, but it is my unending hell

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

This might be better suited for asking in the documentary thread, but I’m trying to find the name of a documentary about colonial combatants in World War 1. It mostly focused on African and Indian soldiers that fought and really had no clue as to why they were fighting, other than the countries that ‘claimed’ them were telling them they had to.

It was up on Netflix last year, but I remember it having a really generic name.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

LadyPictureShow posted:

This might be better suited for asking in the documentary thread, but I’m trying to find the name of a documentary about colonial combatants in World War 1. It mostly focused on African and Indian soldiers that fought and really had no clue as to why they were fighting, other than the countries that ‘claimed’ them were telling them they had to.

It was up on Netflix last year, but I remember it having a really generic name.

I searched for “documentary ww1 african soldiers” and got this as first result. 2nd was Netflix.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04dh242

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

therattle posted:

I searched for “documentary ww1 african soldiers” and got this as first result. 2nd was Netflix.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04dh242

I think that’s it! Thanks a bunch! Maybe I goofed by searching world war 1 on Netflix because it just returned a bunch of Hitler stuff.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

LadyPictureShow posted:

I think that’s it! Thanks a bunch! Maybe I goofed by searching world war 1 on Netflix because it just returned a bunch of Hitler stuff.

It’s no longer on Netflix UK, which is why your search didn’t work. I hope you’ve learned a valuable lesson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

therattle posted:

It’s no longer on Netflix UK, which is why your search didn’t work. I hope you’ve learned a valuable lesson.

That the real treasure was the friends he made along the way?