Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Post your Funko Pop collection and tell us how much it cost, TIA.

0, $0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Terrible way to waste the first post on a new page

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Actually collecting Funko Pops is good with money because they will be worth more in the future.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
IMO if you're hobby is buying things and not even interacting with them then it's BWL and therefore BWM.

It's essentially WOW in real life, instead of grinding for XP/gold and loot, you're grinding for money and plastic. At least play with them ... or something. What are you meant to do with these things, do they move or make a sound?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Suspicious Lump posted:

IMO if you're hobby is buying things and not even interacting with them then it's BWL and therefore BWM.

It's essentially WOW in real life, instead of grinding for XP/gold and loot, you're grinding for money and plastic. At least play with them ... or something. What are you meant to do with these things, do they move or make a sound?

Yeah hoarding isn't terribly healthy even if you can afford it. That dude is fortunate to have a spouse who is looking out for him.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
people hoarding funko pops make me feel good because I'm not them

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
People who horde tacky nerd poo poo don't actually have a personality of their own. They have to build one through pop culture quotes and funko pops.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Suspicious Lump posted:

It's grinding for people who don't care about ever getting a decent mount.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

a dingus posted:

People who horde tacky nerd poo poo don't actually have a personality of their own. They have to build one through pop culture quotes and funko pops.

See also: nerd weddings. It's great that you love Zelda and Mario or whatever, but surely you can leave it at home for one goddamned day.

It would be like me riding a mountain bike up to the altar, or another BFC poster dressing up like a 401k account for theirs.

Man, I hope this is funny. But it will probably fizzle like most of my jokes.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Nocheez posted:

I don't understand collectibles, at all. Especially mass-produced crap that you can find at any Target.

So you just buy them and then leave them in the box and do nothing with them? Wow, that sure sounds like fun!

I got some funko pops through lootcrate. I always take them out of the box (no doubt my actions are seizure inducing for a "collector").

None of these collectibles are really collectible given the huge volume that they produce so what are people even thinking spending $600 per week on them?

Oh dear someone's funko pop business is closing down. Worth $6500 but selling for $3500 what a deal.
https://www.trademe.co.nz/business-farming-industry/wholesale-lots/toys-models/auction-1521881351.htm?rsqid=721c5d74246e409abee4431335fa2301

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Barry posted:

Someone likes dumb plastic figurines? Not on my watch :smug:

There's a loving canyon between "someone likes dumb plastic figurines" and "someone has an undiagnosed mental illness with intense hoarding behavior and spends multiple car payments on dumb plastic figurines per month to the point that his fiance forces him to sign a contract to make an attempt to limit this behavior"

:thunk:

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Nocheez posted:

See also: nerd weddings. It's great that you love Zelda and Mario or whatever, but surely you can leave it at home for one goddamned day.

It would be like me riding a mountain bike up to the altar, or another BFC poster dressing up like a 401k account for theirs.

Man, I hope this is funny. But it will probably fizzle like most of my jokes.

I would like to see a Zelda Funko Pop wedding.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
And Alexander looked over his collection and wept, for there were no more Funko Pops left to collect

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
To make money from collecting lovely plastic toys, you really want to be looking at what 8-year-old boys like and leaving it in mint, boxed condition for 30 years, then cashing in. It needs to be something that no sane adult would collect, because others will collect the actually cool stuff.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

https://www.reddit.com/r/financialindependence/comments/7rb02k/is_fire_still_possible_working_only_30_hours_a/

Is FI/RE still possible working only 30 hours a week thanks to small-ish inheritance? Should I get someone else to manage my funds because I'm a transient space cadet? posted:

First off, I have a quite bizarre financial situation/ lifestyle.

I am a freelance writer who makes between $20-40/hr but only works 20-30 hrs a week

I worked two years on marijuana farms when I was younger and banked a years worth of emergency funds (13K) and have a baby 4K stock portfolio thanks to that

I haven't paid rent in 4 years, just couch surfed, communes, lived in squats, boats, work-trades, the occasional sublet, move every 3-4 months etc.

only had a phone bill as my overhead and food bills when not work trading , live very FIRE friendly, quite minimally

NOW some changes good/bad for FIRE have arrived on my horizon:

I just inherited 48K

I have a steady income of $2000 and that could easily jump within the next 40 days or so to $3200 depending on some things

I am going to get an apartment that will cost utilities incl $650/ month

transport will be $100/month

trying to stay in one place for an extended period of time due to a temporary shift in mentality

I am viewing this $48K inheritance as my golden ticket to continue to only work max 30 hrs weekly from home and then continue to live on a shoestring and just make sure I put away $5,500- $8K annually and continue to grow my investments in recreational marijuana and crypto on the side in addition to some kind of index fund - 401k - IRA situation with the 48K compounding in it? Am I completely delusional?

She has a decent gig but she isn't going to retire early off of a $48k inheritance + investments in weed and funny-money.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Higgy posted:

There's a loving canyon between "someone likes dumb plastic figurines" and "someone has an undiagnosed mental illness with intense hoarding behavior and spends multiple car payments on dumb plastic figurines per month to the point that his fiance forces him to sign a contract to make an attempt to limit this behavior"

Now he has a mental illness, lol

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Barry posted:

It’s undiagnosed, except by this thread.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

Youth Decay posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/financialindependence/comments/7rb02k/is_fire_still_possible_working_only_30_hours_a/

She has a decent gig but she isn't going to retire early off of a $48k inheritance + investments in weed and funny-money.

FI is an interesting subreddit because half of them are so desperate to stop working they reach for crap like this thinking that will be enough, while the other half are so risk averse they chart out 0% real returns.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Funkopop guy is held to $30/week on useless garbage plastic toys for nerds, but will still be dropping $$$$$ for airfare and hotels to go to comic cons all over the country and apparently his idiot wife is ok with that spending. Their faulty genetics were made for each other

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Barry posted:

I love incredibly smug this threads denizens will get as soon as someone posts about something they don't approve of

My friend, we are on somethingawful.com laughing about a grown person who signed a Funkopop purchasing contract with their spouse. This is the kind of stuff I joined SA for.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

I had never heard of funko pops before this thread. Now I have heard too much.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

I would say don’t dox me bro, but I can’t even credibly pretend to be a FunkoPop? spelled however buyer.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

a dingus posted:

Except for that goon's one weird (and by weird, I mean normal) coworker.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Devian666 posted:

None of these collectibles are really collectible given the huge volume that they produce so what are people even thinking spending $600 per week on them?
A lot of people have trouble reconciling "but it's limited edition/collectable!" with how many of the limited edition/collectable thing is produced. They can't seem to fathom that companies are intentionally preying on the "gotta get this before it's gone" impulse.

BarbarianElephant posted:

To make money from collecting lovely plastic toys, you really want to be looking at what 8-year-old boys like and leaving it in mint, boxed condition for 30 years, then cashing in. It needs to be something that no sane adult would collect, because others will collect the actually cool stuff.
Also this. Comic book collecting crashed the instant hordes of adults started preserving their New Series #1s in mint condition, since early comics were only rare and valuable because so many of them were thrown out or ruined over the years. Anything targeting adult nerds now is never going to be super-valuable(barring weird bubbles) since the hoarder nerds will preserve so many of them.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer
All of this talk reminds me of my uncle who had glass cases full of beanie babies back in the 90s.

He proudly showed us the ones that were "rare" and smugly told my mom how this was gonna pay for my cousin's tuition. The dude had hundreds of them and how much he spent on them was never discussed but I'm willing to guess it wasn't worth the investment.

Such a simpler time. :allears:

https://qz.com/114753/meet-the-family-who-lost-100000-when-the-beanie-baby-bubble-burst/

quote:

When Chris Robinson’s father started collecting Beanie Babies, he thought he could use the eventual profits to pay for five college tuitions. Instead, he ended up spending upwards of $100,000 (Robinson’s estimate, based on average cost for each) for a collection of 20,000 stuffed animals that still sit in his garage.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Barry posted:

Show us on the fuckopop where the bad goon touched you.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Harry posted:

FI is an interesting subreddit because half of them are so desperate to stop working they reach for crap like this thinking that will be enough, while the other half are so risk averse they chart out 0% real returns.

I love that subreddit and I feel like we don't collectively mine it nearly enough for BWM. I will try and remember to pass through it after I check out PF/frugal/relationships

e: Though I guess it's usually way more BWL than it is BWM

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Nocheez posted:

I don't understand collectibles, at all. Especially mass-produced crap that you can find at any Target.

So you just buy them and then leave them in the box and do nothing with them? Wow, that sure sounds like fun!

To be fair, you could say the same thing about people who collect art.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Barry posted:

I wonder at precisely what point in time did western society deem all acts of stupidity or malevolence to be forms of insanity?

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

Higgy posted:

Read this as crayon instead of canyon. I like that better.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Sic Semper Goon posted:

I wonder at precisely what point in time did western society deem all acts of stupidity or malevolence to be forms of insanity?

ur mom

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Sic Semper Goon posted:

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Cacafuego posted:

Funkopop guy is held to $30/week on useless garbage plastic toys for nerds, but will still be dropping $$$$$ for airfare and hotels to go to comic cons all over the country and apparently his idiot wife is ok with that spending. Their faulty genetics were made for each other

Well on the bright side he will never have the opportunity to sleep with another woman so it is cheap infidelity insurance.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

nice

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
Isn't funcopop guy straight edge?

This is why we abuse substances.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Barry posted:

I love incredibly smug this threads denizens will get as soon as someone posts about something they don't approve of

Is this really the hill you want to die on

Good Parmesan
Nov 30, 2007

I TAKE PHOTOS OF OTHER PEOPLE'S CHILDREN IN PLANET FITNESS
https://www.reddit.com/r/fatFIRE/comments/7q5v6y/25_and_2mm_networth/

25 and 2MM networth

quote:

Hello,

I was one of the lucky ones this year in crypto. Dumped my life savings into bitcoin eth and IOTA. Got in a few ICOs early. I think I'll have a net worth of ~10MM by the end of 2018 if I keep all my crypto.

I think when I hit 10MM I will cash out 5MM and let the rest ride in the markets. Does anyone know any good tax attorneys that deal explicitly with crypto? Nobody knows my net worth in real life, though some very good friends suspect that I am a millionaire.

Good Parmesan fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jan 19, 2018

Good Parmesan
Nov 30, 2007

I TAKE PHOTOS OF OTHER PEOPLE'S CHILDREN IN PLANET FITNESS
https://www.reddit.com/r/financialindependence/comments/2979kk/29yo_lawyer_making_60kyr_93000_in_debt_live/

29y/o lawyer. Making $60k/yr. $93,000 in debt. Live frugally & pay off debt or make min. payments 20+ yrs until forgiven

quote:

Practicing for 2 years. My employer matches my contributions to my 401k. I've recently put away $3k in a Roth IRA. Moved out of my house last year & life since has been nothing short of a blast.

My question is: do I move back home, live frugally & arguably unhappier for what could be 5-10 years & pay off my debt or continue to make minimum payments on my loans until my debt is forgiven in 20 or so yrs & be somewhat poor but continue to have a blast living on my own & w my friends? (Currently i pay $641 in loans & rent is $800... but since my roommate & i lived on our own, i've always said you cant put a price on having your own place). All thoughts would be so appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Sic Semper Goon posted:

Since A&E started airing Hoarder marathons 24/7