Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

FoolyCharged posted:

first class. We need to look proper for Rory, even if he can't afford it. Plus it has reclining seats!

We must go boldly. Or was it Boldly go?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Second Class so it has something. Plus I wouldn’t be surprised if first is guarded by Bongo the Gorilla.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Second Class, yep.

Parenthesis
Jan 3, 2013
Back to third class we go.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!

Pangurban posted:

I would love the script! I've read through the publicly available ones they have posted for their free games in the past, so I'm pretty good at parsing them out. Though, I don't have access to PMs on my account. Would you need my email?

Not necessary. I've uploaded the scene list here, tell me when you download it.

LightWarden fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jan 18, 2018

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

First Class, baby! If it's guarded by a gorilla, we'll just punch it in the snout!

Pangurban
Apr 29, 2015

Got the script! Thanks, LightWarden!

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Bold! First Class or bust!

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

us and our brass pair will be moving up to first class

Pangurban
Apr 29, 2015

Another upside to having the script is that I no longer need to type out these scenes by hand! My wrists thank you.

quote:

The charms of the third-class carriage has long worn off, and you would much prefer to spend the rest of your journey in first class. Now you intend to see if you can make that happen. You bid Figs adieu, and prepare to effect some misdirection. You wait for a moment when nobody is looking, and then make your move.

You wait until the conductor passes through the aisle, intending to duck behind him, grab the door that leads for first class, and then tiptoe in, like a shadow in the night.

However, you must have trod more heavily than you intended, because the conductor taps your shoulder. "Where do you think you're going? Why are you tiptoeing?"

"I wasn't tiptoeing," you protest. "Not at all."

"I'm going to report you to the train detective if you don't get back where you belong. Where do you get the idea that the rules don't apply to you, anyhow?"

You could riposte with some clever piece of wit, no doubt, but you feel as though it would be best to limit your public exposure at the moment, as several onlookers are laughing at you.

Head down, you walk back to your seat, attempting to salvage some shreds of dignity. You walk back to the third class car.

quote:

Figs looks over to you from the fear of the carriage, gnawing on his fingers and sighing a good deal. He looks at you with a plaintive and pathetic sigh.

"What's on your mind?" you ask.

Figs chews his lower lip for a moment. "I'd better tell you straight out, Butler. I hve a notion. I've been turning it over in my mind all day, but I'm not quite sure how to effect it. My running into you is a godsend, though. You can almost certainly help me figure this whole dashed thing out."

"Tell me all."

Figs reaches under his seat and pulls out a sturdy tube. "For the past several months, I have been hard at work on a piece of art. I think it's brilliant, I really do. It's every bit as good as the things they hang on museum walls, that's for certain. I really believe that if only Aunt Primrose could see my work—without knowing that it was I who painted it—she would be utterly convinced of my talent, and be willing to accept that I could possibly provide for Mopsie. But since she is predisposed to hate me, she naturally will not look upon my work with other than a jaundiced eye."

"I see the conundrum."

"And so, I ask you, Butler, knowing that you are resourceful beyond measure, to help me to get my masterpiece before her eyes, and to deceive her into believing that it is the work of one of the Old Masters."

"That could be tricky."

"Well, it doesn't have to be an Old Master. It could be passed off as an up-and-coming genius whose works command fantastic sums abroad. As long as she is unaware that it is mine, she will judge it fairly. And then, when she praises it, I will swoop forward and say, 'Ha ha, 'tis I,' or something like that."

"Of course. I will assist to the extent possible."
"I'm afraid that this task would fall outside of the area of my responsibilities to Mr. Wintermint."
"But why do you need me? Where do I come into it?"

Most current stats posted:

Reginald Butler

Your Sundry Skills
Bold: 54%
Culture: 25%
Intellect: 37%
Observe: 32%
Persuade: 42%
Skulduggery: 19%
Soothing/Abrasive: 34%/66%

Your Reputation
Renown: 7% (-2%)
Tranquility: 14%
Suspicion: 10%

Rory: 36%
Frankincense: 44%
Aunt Primrose: 21%

Ready Monies: 23

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Sounds like fun, especially if the artwork is actually trash. Let us promise to assist, sight unseen.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

outside the area

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Hell yeah. We got this.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Agree! Shenanigans ahoy!

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
So when does our Relationship with Figs become unhidden?

say yes. I don’t think we have the stats to pull off this plan, but it might be fun trying.

Pangurban
Apr 29, 2015

To achtungnight, assuming you weren't asking rhetorically - Figs never gets a relationship bar. Which is not to say that our actions aren't affecting him!

And while I'm answering questions...

To where the red fern gropes - As for alternative ways to help Figs, we were Bold enough to do a good job pretending to be Aunt Primrose. We would have given Figs a good idea of what he was in for. Had we tried to be Figs, we would have made such a hash of it as to unduly damage his confidence in himself.

And LightWarden - you were wondering why we got bumped back to third class? Turns out there's two checks for that - one to see if your relationship score with Rory is under 35, and another to see if it's under 45 and you have less than 35 readies.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Not our responsibility.

Parenthesis
Jan 3, 2013
Really not our problem (2).

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'm in.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

lend a hand and pocket the proceeds of selling it to her for Rory, simultaneously achieving both our goals.

Pangurban
Apr 29, 2015

quote:

"Thank goodness for you. I knew you would not fail me in my time of need. Without you, I fear my poor heart would burst out of despair."

"Surely not, sir."

"It's true. I weep nightly for lack of my dear Mopsie, and I have no doubt that she does likewise. Do you know how moist one's pillow gets, Butler?"

"I really couldn't hazard an estimate, sir."

"Now let's get to specifics," Figs says.

He removes one end of the tube, excitement on his face.

"You must take my painting, make your way into Aunt Primrose's art gallery, find a suitable frame, and insert my own art into it. Then, you must hang it on the wall as if it had been there all along."

"But surely she will notice a new painting."

He moves the rolled-up canvas, and spreads it out on his lap, displaying it to you.

Your first impression is that it represents an indescribably ugly...baboon? A fiendishly deformed millipede wearing a wig, perhaps?

Then you see, at the bottom, in Figs's looping handwriting: "A loving portrait of Primrose Patterson."

Figs looks at you in a highly energized state, eyes bugging out with anticipation at what he is certain will be your breathtakingly positive response to his artwork. "What do you think?"

I fight to maintain a neutral expression in the face of such a grotesque portrait.
I abruptly try to change the subject.
I attempt to tell Figs what a wonderful likeness it is.

Reginald Butler

Your Sundry Skills

Your Reputation
Renown: 7%
Tranquility: 14%

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
It looks just like her! No, really... it does. :) Oh my...

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

It looks just like her!
Unfortunately, in this case that is a detriment to the picture.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Stay neutral

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The likeness is truly remarkable

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Change the subject.

Too bad we can't just tell him it sucks.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Change the subject! Oh god why. :stonk:

Parenthesis
Jan 3, 2013
Stay neutral (1).

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

wonderful likeness ! If we're going to do this, it's because we can convince everybody it's right, including us.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Change the subject.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

not sure why everybody is picking options that don't have the word fight in them.

Pangurban
Apr 29, 2015

quote:

"I am tremendously impressed by the...oh, what's the movement called? Favism. I'm struck by its favism."

"I believe that 'favism' is a serious allergy to fava beans," says Figs stiffly.

"That's what I meant," you insist. "It's difficult to talk about art that you don't li-that you don't, that is..."

"I see how it is. You have no idea what challenging modern rat is all about," Figs contests hotly. "This is a masterstroke, at once attractive, accurate, and a divergence from comfortable bourgeois aesthetic sensibilities."

"I..."

"Oh, no matter, Butler. You could hardly be expected to have the training that I have, to be able to appreciate this work rightly." But Figs seems annoyed.

quote:

Figs rolls the painting back up and stows it safely in its tube. "This is a matter of life and death, Butler. It means everything to me and Mopsie. Will you take my painting and get it somehow into Aunt Primrose's art gallery, and lure her in to see it and comment on it?"

"Yes, I'll take it."
"I'll take it, but I would need to ask Mr. Wintermint's permission before doing such a thing."
"I certainly shall not! I am affronted by the very notion."
"I apologize, but I cannot."

Reginald Butler

Your Sundry Skills

Your Reputation
Renown: 7%
Tranquility: 12% (-2%)

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Sorry, can’t. Let him down easy.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

We shall not!. This guy seems to be as much of a loser as Primrose claims he is.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
We said we would, and we will, dammit.

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat
We need permission. That way if it all goes south, we can just say we were following orders.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Let's get permission first.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Avalerion posted:

We shall not!. This guy seems to be as much of a loser as Primrose claims he is.

We must boldly tell this layabout that we shall not help him in his nefarious deeds. It is really for his own good, too.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

SimplyUnknown1 posted:

We need permission. That way if it all goes south, we can just say we were following orders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

SimplyUnknown1 posted:

Permission it is.

• Locked thread