Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

FulsomFrank posted:

My casual board gaming friend backed the Lords of Hellas KS based on the Greek theme and the wicked rad minis. Mechanics were a distant third but we all love Cyclades so maybe it's supposed to be the extreeeeeme version of it? Either way he's very excited for it and I look forward to playing it but I'm glad he threw money at it and not me.

I totally see your point. And you're right.

But I also admit I'm frustrated when I see well-thought-out boardgame Kickstarters flounder and die, while box-o-mini's, "rules TBA" games make millions. Nobody is doing something wrong here, it just offends my sense of fairness or something. Or maybe I just want people to like what I like, so people try to make more games for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

jmzero posted:

I totally see your point. And you're right.

But I also admit I'm frustrated when I see well-thought-out boardgame Kickstarters flounder and die, while box-o-mini's, "rules TBA" games make millions. Nobody is doing something wrong here, it just offends my sense of fairness or something. Or maybe I just want people to like what I like, so people try to make more games for me.

I suspect that people see really polished minis as a proxy for a generally polished game. Slick minis are the clear plastic binder of board-game kickstarters.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I was all exccited by your post but they're like sci-fi mechanoid greeks not sexy 300 style greeks

Crackbone posted:

Just once I’d like to see a game where the women are fully clothed and the “mature” content was dicks, wall to wall dicks.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Impermanent posted:

I've actually never heard it pronounced any way other than the latinesque way you mentioned.

I purposefully pronounce it wrong so I can make a ricola joke.

"What are we playing? Agricola?"

me: "AGREEEE-COH-LAAAAH!"

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

A phalanx of phalli

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

jmzero posted:

To me I guess I just don't see the two as really being related. My guess is there's actually minimal crossover between the customer who wants to back a really solidly designed board game vs the customer who wants to back a campaign with a bunch of bling and miniatures. IE, if you were to take away the latter, I don't think many of those people are suddenly going to make the good-but-dull-looking (or at least, miniature-less) board game campaigns much more successful. I get that they live in the same relative space, so I wouldn't go so far as to say it's completely apples and oranges, but there's enough difference between those product types that I really doubt there's an issue of "fairness" or whatever; it's just that shiny things have a wider appeal.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
Anybody else feeling personally attacked by all these people reacting to the Nintendo Labo announcement like $70 is an insane price for a box of cardboard?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I mean if it weren't literal cardboard that will fall apart in 5 minutes because it's all made to be used so physically...

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Didn't know that Rutibex got hired by Nintendo

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Poopy Palpy posted:

Anybody else feeling personally attacked by all these people reacting to the Nintendo Labo announcement like $70 is an insane price for a box of cardboard?

Just like how most of the price of a board game comes from development, art, play-testing, etc. Most of the price of a Labo is for the game chip with the software. I am sympathetic to those who think the software isn't worth $60. I'm don't think the current Labo kits look like $60 worth of video game right now. But Nintendo is planning to release the cardboard blueprints, so it's closer to buying a standard version of a game that also comes with a PnP version.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
So, on the whole "Lords of Hellas" Backing because its shiny thing, I backed it drunkenly (what feels like years ago? Can that be right?) and it came the other day. I think to be honest, people back the stuff that's full of figures, because you can see, well, even if the boardgame isn't good, at least I get all these sweet minis, and like, you don't really know how one kickstarter boardgame will really play from the next, so all you've 'really' got to go on is what it looks like, and looking like its full of awesome physical stuff is more enticing than unknown potential? As I say, I woke up and saw an e-mail saying I'd backed it, I was flush at the time and so was just like "Ok, new boardgame I guess?" and let it ride. I can see why it's annoying that these sorts of games get backing but smart stuff might not, but, I dunno, I guess being able to offer something more tangible than 'fun' is just an easier sell. (And there's an absolute SHITDOWNMYTHROAT ton of stretch goals unlocked).

Incidentally, it's actually pretty good! Or, feels fun and good for the first few plays I've had at least. It plays a bit like INIS, in that there are a few different ways to win, (region control, controlling a smaller number of areas that have temples in them, killing 3 monsters or controlling a fully built monument for 3 turns), only there's no draft, so there's full information of what each player can do each turn, with the unknowns being randomly drawn combat cards. It's the same combat cards to fight for territory as it is to fight monsters, so you can hinder someone going for monsters by invading their land. The clever / unique part is that you can move your hero / troops about and do a couple of other things every turn, and then take one special action (fight a monster, move loads of dudes at once, heal your hero, recruit dudes etc) but you can only do each of them once, until any player chooses as their special action to 'build a monument', and then everything refreshes. Since controlling a finished monument is a win con, this edges the game closer to the end, which maybe you want if you're looking to do that, or maybe you don't if another player is? Or, maybe you do want to, but it will unlock the 'hunt' ability for the player going for monster kills, so you don't want to do it yet and want to hinder them first?

It's kinda super gimmicky but to the effect of lovely 'game feel', putting a priest physically in a monument to pray there, or putting a hoplite troop physically into the fortification city models is really satisfying. The monsters marching around the board all look great and imposing, getting to roll the dice and attack with them / move them around feels powerful and fun because of the scale. Physically building the monument feels cool. When you fight the monsters, there's a separate card kind of like the ancient one cards from Arkham horror that you mark the damage off on with lovely little cubes. Which is all absolutely as excessive and video-gamey as it sounds, but its all actually super grokkable, super quickly, and just a joy to do. I forgave it almost immediately for its stupid bluster* because it really is just a joy to 'play' with, in a "pew pew! Oh no, a Chimera! Don't worry Chalkidiki, I'll save you! By the power of Zeus, I AM LEONIDAS!" style of 'play'. The game actually being good is almost a bonus.

It seems balanced too, but haven't really played it enough to comment. The few games we played had three players all within one turn of winning in different ways, although we haven't even nearly finished a monument yet. I might just push for that super hard next game.

*-(Like, SERIOUSLY, if you draw a monster that is already out, the monster evolves. It could have just been a blanket 'add one damage', but no, they're all unique, and so you take that card and physically add it to the big ancient-one-esque monster card, of which you'll have like 4 or 5 out at once, with little damage cubes on them, and have it showing out under the bottom with its evolution rules / extra damage boxes showing. And Sparta is a bigger city that makes more men. And the Oracle at Delphi is a bigger temple, that gives 2 priests. And you do a 'blessing draft' when you build certain temples where you all get random buffs, but which temples is randomised by drawing a 'temple track' card at the start of the game that the temples physically sit on from a deck of like 5? Seriously, it takes SO LONG to reel off all the 'stuff'.)

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

Poopy Palpy posted:

You can buy just the game and provide your own cardboard and they give you the plans for free

edit: nevermind. I said something else here too but i thought I was in a different thread.

Tree Dude fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jan 19, 2018

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
Saw this on reddit and thought it was funny/sad.

This guy quit his job to design a board game, and he posted the rules and it looks absolutely terrible. The art is bad, and it's like chess with a bunch of convoluted mechanics thrown on top. It's meant to have "no random chance" but it features a deck of 70 cards that you use to upgrade your rook.

It also sounds like he doesn't even play any other boardgames, so the whole thing feels like outsider art almost

https://www.reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/7r71uq/i_put_my_life_savings_into_a_dream_project_that/

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Oh god what the gently caress

Like outsider art of it was more stupid than "outside", for sure.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
finally, some real competition for Chess 2: The Sequel

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

angel opportunity posted:

It also sounds like he doesn't even play any other boardgames, so the whole thing feels like outsider art almost

This is the key element here. It's that profound ignorance to what board games really are that leaves him able to think its possible. It happens in every creative field, movies, music, etc, but I swear its especially prevalent in writing and by extension (sort of) designing board games. Road blocks like "expensive camera" or "expensive violin" or "expensive Master's Degree in Computer Engineering" doesn't stand in the way of any jamoke attempting to write the great American novel or the great American board game.

I get wanting to live the dream, but I also would like to not feel stupid for literal ever.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Never quit your job to follow your dreams until you've actually secured some way of living until your first check.

Well, unless you enjoy suffering.

Comp-U-Shit
Nov 14, 2008

angel opportunity posted:

Saw this on reddit and thought it was funny/sad.

This guy quit his job to design a board game, and he posted the rules and it looks absolutely terrible. The art is bad, and it's like chess with a bunch of convoluted mechanics thrown on top. It's meant to have "no random chance" but it features a deck of 70 cards that you use to upgrade your rook.

https://www.reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/7r71uq/i_put_my_life_savings_into_a_dream_project_that/

I really liked his horrible kickstarter video that is mostly cool sounding word salad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43Ka4rxohEY

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Comp-U-poo poo posted:

I really liked his horrible kickstarter video that is mostly cool sounding word salad.

Even the name is word salad garbage

Henker
May 5, 2009

It looks like he sourced an artist from furaffinity.net for one of the factions. And I like how his only frame of reference for board games is chess. A lot of people in the reddit thread pointed out that anyone interested in a chess-like is just going to play chess.

Back to Nemesis, there's actually another Aliens ripoff board game due to hit Kickstarter soon (Lifeform). This one differentiates itself by not being a huge pile of minis.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
By all means, go with your own instinct and make something that tickles your own fancy as a labor of love beholden to no one.

Also go ahead and show it to the world, see if others groove on your wavelength. By all means see if it sticks!

But when you do and it doesn't, accept reality at SOME point for god's sake :(

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Man, this dude has real problems and I do not want to kick a guy while he's down. I feel genuinely bad for him and hope he gets the help he needs. "I have always loved chess, and so tried to build a game that depended on pure strategy, no luck" --- how about chess?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Remember that guy from years ago that sought to make his own Olympic sport dexterity game? :smith:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOOw2yWMSfk

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

CaptainRightful posted:

Man, this dude has real problems and I do not want to kick a guy while he's down. I feel genuinely bad for him and hope he gets the help he needs. "I have always loved chess, and so tried to build a game that depended on pure strategy, no luck" --- how about chess?

I mean there's definitely room for multiple zero-luck 1v1 games, even ones that play like Chess. But "room for" doesn't mean "will support you financially," and is probably closer to "maybe you'll have a couple hundred people who think it's super cool and maybe even a 24-person tournament at gencon at some point!"

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

Chill la Chill posted:

Remember that guy from years ago that sought to make his own Olympic sport dexterity game? :smith:

I think of this guy every few years and then check up on the status of bulletball....it is not good

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
oh man, rodney smith teased at doing Classic Game videos on his channel. I know his stuff gets watched pretty regularly by random folk so it'd be cool to see someone show up with a copy of Caylus or Dominion and be like "I saw this on How It's Played and picked it up!"

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Papes posted:

I think of this guy every few years and then check up on the status of bulletball....it is not good

Oh man, I watched that segment on TV when it aired. Is he still chasing that rainbow? Jesus.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Comp-U-poo poo posted:

But wait! More battles await on more whirls.

terebikun
May 27, 2016
That Nemesis game...I get the feeling that the artist was really trying not to add tits and rear end to those space marines in space armor, and he was this close, and then Mr. Hyde took over or something and got it in there. It's so...joyless in its TnA.

Scrolled down to see if Cthulhu showed up. Check.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Chill la Chill posted:

IIRC he actually managed to find some sales for it as a physical rehab equipment. :unsmith:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

CaptainRightful posted:

"I have always loved chess, and so tried to build a game that depended on pure strategy, no luck" --- how about chess?

Yeah, like.. what? You want magic chess? Buy a Harry Potter skinned chess set or something, don't literally quit your day job.

I bought the board expansion for Scythe the other day :toot: ever since I played it for the first time in a few months over Christmas break I've just been thinking about it nonstop. Which expansion to purchase next, though...

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Johnny Truant posted:

Yeah, like.. what? You want magic chess? Buy a Harry Potter skinned chess set or something, don't literally quit your day job.

I recall reading somewhere (maybe Schmittberger, New Rules for Classic Games) that novice designers are always trying to "improve" on chess, or make a game "just like chess". Ignoring that there's already a huge body of variant chess games. (Actually, I thought Knightmare Chess was alright - basically chess on an infinite plain.)

Another game designer I knew told me of their frustration with new designers, saying that nearly every year, newspaper will publish stories about :

* someone coming out with a game about driving a taxi or travelling on the underground around a city
* a young mother who designed a game "because there's just nothing out there for my children"

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Johnny Truant posted:

I bought the board expansion for Scythe the other day :toot: ever since I played it for the first time in a few months over Christmas break I've just been thinking about it nonstop. Which expansion to purchase next, though...

If you haven't yet Invaders from Afar for the new factions and expansion to 7 player play.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
It’s like these people don’t even know Google exists. Geezus.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

FunkMonkey posted:

If you haven't yet Invaders from Afar for the new factions and expansion to 7 player play.

I have played that, the new factions were very interesting. I played as the Japanese and didn't really get the teleport placement thingies until the turn before the game ended.

That's probably my next purchase to increase my player count, but Wind Gambit looks so drat cool.

outlier posted:

I recall reading somewhere (maybe Schmittberger, New Rules for Classic Games) that novice designers are always trying to "improve" on chess, or make a game "just like chess". Ignoring that there's already a huge body of variant chess games. (Actually, I thought Knightmare Chess was alright - basically chess on an infinite plain.)

Another game designer I knew told me of their frustration with new designers, saying that nearly every year, newspaper will publish stories about :

* someone coming out with a game about driving a taxi or travelling on the underground around a city
* a young mother who designed a game "because there's just nothing out there for my children"

Never heard of Knightmare Chess, 3D chess was interesting in its novelty.

All "there's nothing out there for my kids" games are just always based on remain chance, like c'mon you haven't seen the billion other variants on just rolling dice and killing/collecting <insert pop culture theme of the moment>?!

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

!Klams posted:

Lords of Hellas stuff

Thanks for this write up.

Honestly, it sounds interesting and I look forward to playing it when my friend's copy arrives. I think he didn't want to pay shipping twice so opted for the one time delivery with everything. This description sounds closer to something like Inis-meets-Kemet but either way I try to keep my mind open about these things until I finally get to try it. It just seems that so many kickstarters are doubling down on minis and production while the gameplay takes a backseat. I can think of the recent Dark Souls game that seems to be pretty divisive in that I think most people think it's deeply flawed but has some interesting ideas mixed into it. And it has (or at least had) incredible DS miniatures. Something about the darker coloured aesthetic too that causes my eyes to kind of glaze over.

Speaking of KS, what happened to the Gentes kickstarter I was promised?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

FulsomFrank posted:

Speaking of KS, what happened to the Gentes kickstarter I was promised?

It is Wednesday, my dude. :wedass:

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
I remember hearing Photosynthesis was ...not great, why?

Chubbs
Feb 13, 2008

In a thousand years, Gandahar was destroyed. A thousand years ago, Gandahar will be saved, and what can't be avoided will be.
Grimey Drawer
I'm trying to decide whether to get Gloomhaven now while the iron's hot, or pre-order Food Chain Magnate for when that (allegedly) releases next month. Both are roughly the same in price because of FCM's crazy shipping costs.

Personally, I know that I'll enjoy both of them quite a bit.

Gloomhaven would definitely be easier to get people into playing. FCM seems like it could easily turn people off if they don't like the cutthroat aspect of it (or how you can get stuck in a losing game with no way of catching up) but I wonder if that would improve after they get a few games of it under their belt. My understanding is that the more you play it, the more fun it becomes because you start to understand the scope of the game and how to strategize.

Regardless, it seems like FCM is going to be the one that's harder to get as time goes on. Gloomhaven is such a megahit that I'm sure they'll continue to do print runs as the years go by, so the likelihood of me getting a copy at or under MSRP seems higher.

Chubbs fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jan 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I've found it hard to convince people to try FCM because its theme seems a bit drier, and the board looks like something someone made in MS Paint. 100% of the people who I've talked into trying it have liked it, even those who got smashed and lost, but it's a hard sell before that.

BTW I'm thinking of using FCM Newbie Rules in which you start the game with the CEO and a Recruiting Girl, just to prevent the "I'm going to ignore your advice about recruiting girls or trainers and hire a management trainee or a kitchen trainee or a waitress on my first turn and then never make a single dollar the entire game" situation.