Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Thread Title shall we name this new thread?
This poll is closed.
Independence Day 2: Resturgeonce 44 21.36%
ScotPol - Unclustering this gently caress 19 9.22%
Trainspotting 2: Independence is my heroin 9 4.37%
Indyref II: Boris hosed a Dead Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol: Wings over Bullshit 8 3.88%
Independence 2: Cameron Lied, UK Died 24 11.65%
Scotpol IV: I Vow To Flee My Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol - A twice in a generation thread 17 8.25%
ScotPol - Where Everything's hosed Up and the Referendums Don't Matter 15 7.28%
ScotPol Thread: Dependence Referendum Incoming 2 0.97%
Indyref II: The Scottish Insturgeoncy 10 4.85%
ScotPol Thread: Act of European Union 5 2.43%
ScotPol - Like Game of Thrones only we wish we would all die 25 12.14%
Total: 206 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Alertrelic posted:

Seek help, friend.

It's a shame you're so keen to take lazy mental health pot shots because otherwise I'd be fascinated to know how an erstwhile pro-independence supporter would react to an unofficial referendum being declared by the SNP this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

forkboy84 posted:

Can't post the article as on a phone but you should read it.

quote:

Malcolm Scott, a former treasurer of the Conservative Party in Scotland, was given a BRO in 2015 after he was found to have lied to his Trustee.
The former multi-millionaire was found to have transferred shares, secretly sold a luxury car without declaring the proceeds, and failed to declare a speedboat and other assets in the Bahamas.
He is under the restrictions until 2021.
The BBC team had heard that Mr Scott was running a property company, with interests across the UK, in breach of his BRO.
Malcolm Scott
Image caption
Malcolm Scott is associated with a company called Sandnewco One Ltd
It sent in an undercover reporter to pose as a businessman interested in investing in his developments. One was run by a company called Sandnewco One Ltd, whose registered director was a man called Alexander Duncan.
Despite the restrictions, Malcolm Scott told our undercover investor that the company was run by himself and Mr Duncan, who was a "silent partner".
When asked by the undercover investor about the corporate structure of the company, he claimed to be at the top, agreeing that he was the "head shed".
We also found that Mr Scott had formed a property company called Northside Residential Ltd, another breach of his BRO.

Insolvency expert Maureen Leslie said forming a limited company is a breach of a Bankruptcy Restriction Order
The BBC showed its footage to insolvency expert Maureen Leslie.
She said: "He's holding himself out as the decision maker in the company… He's not a named director, but he's acting as if he were a director, or he is allowing someone to form the perception that he is a director."
Shown the incorporation documents for Northside Residential Ltd, she said: "He's [Malcolm Scott] just formed a limited company. The Bankruptcy Restriction Order does not allow you to form a limited company. That is a breach of the terms of the Bankruptcy Restriction Order."
Richard Dennis, chief executive of Scotland's Accountant in Bankruptcy, the agency which gives out BROs, admitted no-one "proactively" monitored those given the orders.
He said: "As with all BROs, there is no active monitoring of the BRO system."
He refused to discuss individual cases, but added it was "serious" if people were breaching their BROs.
He said: "I'll take away the evidence that you're prepared to provide us and we'll have a look at the case, and I can't say anything further than that."
Through his solicitor, Malcolm Scott denied acting as a director of any company.
Alexander Duncan, the director of Sandnewco One Ltd, told the BBC that Mr Scott was an "employee" of the property company, with "no executive decision-making authority".

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Pissflaps posted:

Will Sturgeon do a Puigedemont?
This is subject to Betteridge's law of headlines

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

I liked the story on the news tonight about the former Scottish Tory treasurer who got banned from holding a directorship because he tried to hide assets after bankruptcy has been running businesses through proxies. And living lavishly. And the people who should be enforcing it have gently caress all in the way of money to actively check up on if the convicted fraudsters are committing fraud again.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-42597623

Can't post the article as on a phone but you should read it.

I do appreciate that the BBC provide the private car registration plates used by two of these fuckers.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
I hope you get hit by a bus, Stu.

https://twitter.com/parcelorogues/status/952251067517034496

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Scottish nationalism is proper hosed up.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Good to see Stu is still an absolute burning trashfire of a human being.

Honestly, aside from making money for Stuart Campbell what is the loving point of him? Who the gently caress is enabling him? He's preaching to the choir is about the kindest thing you can say about him. An absolute blight on the independence movement and it's pitiful more mainstream Nats haven't been forced to openly denounce him. He's a bigot.

Aside from anything else the irony of the loving oval office who lives in Bath calling anyone else a "house Scot" is astounding.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
He runs the Scottish Government’s favourite political blog.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Pissflaps posted:

He runs the Scottish Government’s favourite political blog.

this is true, I have contacts within the scottish government who all agree those are the only five websites the firewall allows them to access

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Angepain posted:

this is true, I have contacts within the scottish government who all agree those are the only five websites the firewall allows them to access

Sorry not sure what disagreement your sarcasm is intended to convey.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Angepain posted:

Sarcasm aside, it's interesting that there were more attempts to access Wanks Outside Scotland from ScotGov devices than the SNP's own website.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Saw on Twitter this morning that Transport Secretary Humza Yusef and Labour MP and ex-postie who isn't a useless poo poo like Alan Johnson Hugh Gaffney were having a slapfight. Phoneposting so can't link it but holy poo poo I love politicians on Twitter acting like 14 year olds. Super cool.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Has Humza Yusef not got better things to do, like ask what's going to happen about the AWPR now Carillion have collapsed?

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Scottish voters overwhelmingly support Scottish government's proposed tax increases, poll suggests. From the Times today, via the guardian since its behind a pay wall (if anyone could post the original that would be much appreciated).

This is very good news for the implications about the electorate and the willingness to support more public spending, especially when you look at how the question was framed: "everyone earning over £26,000 will pay more in income tax." That's not entirely true, as Brian Taylor explains, but that makes it even more striking in a way, since the general wisdom is that the public loathe all income tax increases, and I doubt most people knew the nitty gritty of the policy when answering the poll:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-42358527 posted:

Look at the figures in some detail and you see some intriguing points. The impact of the Scottish government changes per se are linear. You start to lose at £33k and you continue to lose up to £150,000, proportionally.

But look at the changes wrought by those SG policies together with the impact of the inflationary changes to thresholds, drawn from UK calculations.

That is more of a sine curve. You gain up to £33k, then start to lose - but you gain again fractionally at £50,000. That is because of the indexation of the Higher Rate Threshold (HRT).

The effect of the changes are pretty minor all in all, bit fair play to the snp for even proposing it, and if the electorate remain relatively on side might give some impetus to delivering a clearer, more pro-public investment, divide between Scotland and rUK (and in lefty dreamland, allow rUK to push more leftwards)

Niric fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Jan 18, 2018

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

I’d love to see the breakdown of income vs approve / disapprove to see how many lower income people think it’s unfair due to misunderstanding progressive taxation

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
So what about those scotgov Brexit impact assessments then?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Looks like the sort of thing the SNP should produce if they ever manage to get another independence referendum, which is looking extremely unlikely for the foreseeable

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/953593463764930560

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/953585158854234112

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
Can't believe Pissflaps has missed this.

https://twitter.com/FraserNelson/status/953658217095225345

Time is ripe for a Richard Leonard surge :getin:

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Richard Leonard is hot dog food, the SNP have at least one more election cycle in them.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Scottish Labour just voted down a budget including a public sector pay cap raise and 400mil for the NHS because apparently even under a momentum candidate they can't get over how much they loving hate the SNP, at the expense of the country.

I'm not holding my breath for Scotlab to resurge any time soon.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Scotland, you never cease to disappoint me.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Coohoolin posted:

Scottish Labour just voted down a budget including a public sector pay cap raise and 400mil for the NHS because apparently even under a momentum candidate they can't get over how much they loving hate the SNP, at the expense of the country.

I'm not holding my breath for Scotlab to resurge any time soon.

TomViolence posted:

Scotland, you never cease to disappoint me.

So... ScotLab voted against leftist policies, and it's Corbyn's fault that ScotLab's support dwindles?

:thunk:

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

So... ScotLab voted against leftist policies, and it's Corbyn's fault that ScotLab's support dwindles?

:thunk:

That's the opposite of what they were saying though? Scotland has turned its back on Corbynism nothing to do with Corbyn himself. The fault lies with Scottish Labour who are an absolute loving shambles

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Aramoro posted:

That's the opposite of what they were saying though? Scotland has turned its back on Corbynism nothing to do with Corbyn himself. The fault lies with Scottish Labour who are an absolute loving shambles

you sure about that?
the article suggests that Labour's muddle Brexit position is the biggest contributor to the fall.
and Scottish Labour's polling apparently only dropped 2 points in the time Corbyn's personal approval rating dropped significantly more.

lol that 60% were "don't know" for Leonard. way to hit the ground running and make an impact

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
I reckon it's more akin to people generally liking Corbyn, but thinking he doesn't get the Scottish issues right, and that Richard Leonard is an idiot. Corbyn's domestic policies are great, but when the Brexit issue is still in the air and he seems to take Scottish talking cues from the usual Scotlab shambles it doesn't inspire much confidence.

Until Scotlab can get over itself and its ridiculous seething hatred of the SNP this won't change.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Coohoolin posted:

Until Scotlab can get over itself and its ridiculous seething hatred of the SNP this won't change.

I agree, but it's also clear the ridiculous seething hatred is two-way:

Coohoolin posted:

Richard Leonard is an idiot.... the usual Scotlab shambles

Coohoolin posted:

It's OK I'm drinking and preparing to scream bloody murder at everyone I know who campaigned for Scotlab.

Coohoolin posted:

we have a useless Scottish labour and a political scene polarised between pro indy left and unionist right.

Coohoolin posted:

Jackie bailie is awful, just putting that out there.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Niric posted:

I agree, but it's also clear the ridiculous seething hatred is two-way:

None of those are factually untrue :colbert:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

If you want Labour to be left wing, you aren't going to get there by campaigning against Labour. You've got to campaign for a better Labour.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
The idea that Labour needs support the SNP in order to become more popular seems fanciful.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Also, if we're going to play the stupid and lovely game of point scoring re budgets, I'd be curious to know how many labour/Lib Dem budgets the SNP voted against, and how many SNP budgets passed with Tory support.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

It's almost like there's something more to politics than just voting for what the SNP say is good. Weird, that.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Coohoolin posted:

First take the beam out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

cargohills posted:

It's almost like there's something more to politics than just voting for what the SNP say is good. Weird, that.

I guess what I just find so irritating is the hypocrisy, and Coohoolin isn't unique here. the level of vitriol directed at labour from snp supporters is huge, and yet its the same people who complain that snp hate undermines Scottish politics. It makes sense as an electoral play, even if I don't like it, since snp and labour are going for largely the same voters, but it's maddening when it appears in everyday political chat like here or in the pub.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

In fairness, Richard Leonard really has been awfully shite so far into his leadership. I realise the MSPs are almost all to the right of him but he's missing the mark hard and it's hugely depressing.

Early days, hope he grows into it, but it's not exactly easy being optimistic about ScotLab at the mo.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

In fairness, Richard Leonard really has been awfully shite so far into his leadership. I realise the MSPs are almost all to the right of him but he's missing the mark hard and it's hugely depressing.

Early days, hope he grows into it, but it's not exactly easy being optimistic about ScotLab at the mo.

Unpopular Opinion Time

I feel this is down to the polarisation in politics which is best exemplified with the Tory-Lib Dem coalition at Westminster. The Lib Dems went in to the coalition looking to get something done, they were never going to get much. They were never going to get to abolish Tuition fees, at best they were going to get to put their hand under the boot pressing down on the necks of the poor. And you know, looking back they did achieve some things.

But people hate this, they would rather have a principled loser than someone who can compromise. That's why the Lib Dems got wiped out at the next election and Tories returned a strong majority. This is not an unusual pattern in world politics in general, the compromising party gets annihilated at the next election and the ones they compromised with gets a majority.

This trend has only grown recently, if you compromise you are weak. If Leonard compromises and tried to bring the sides of his party together he will get torn to shreds. Unfortunately for him if he doesn't bring his party together he will never actually win an election. Just another principled loser.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
From what I've seen people are still really pissed off about the joint campaigning with the Tories over independence and the disingenuous approach to politics overall that seems to have been a defining factor of Scottish Labour since then. It didn't help that first Jim Murphy and then Kezia Dugdale were incredibly out of their depth (remember when Kezia's dad started calling her out for nonsense on Twitter? Fun times) and it's going to take either an incredibly talented Scottish Labour leader or a big shift in the Scotlab identity/approach in a post-indyref paradigm to change anything about that.

Alertrelic
Apr 18, 2008

Niric posted:

I guess what I just find so irritating is the hypocrisy, and Coohoolin isn't unique here. the level of vitriol directed at labour from snp supporters is huge, and yet its the same people who complain that snp hate undermines Scottish politics. It makes sense as an electoral play, even if I don't like it, since snp and labour are going for largely the same voters, but it's maddening when it appears in everyday political chat like here or in the pub.

It's not about Twitter or cybernats, which is the source of the majority of that vitriol, it's about Labour's national message. In other words, what they are saying to the press, in Parliament and on the doorsteps. Despite the new leadership, the party still seems unable to articulate a positive, independent vision. The latest public services debate is a good example of this. Don't hold that kind of debate if you don't have a tax policy, particularly if one of your central criticisms of the SNP over the last two years was the lack of a tax policy.

The problem for Labour is that they need something more credible than the "SNP are turbocharging austerity". Of course, developing a new message means admitting that the our present circumstances largely stem from the UK's terrible fiscal policy over the last decade, which leads back to the constitutional argument. Labour needs a proper answer to this, not a retreat into the Murdo Fraser/Kevin Hague fantasy-land where austerity is treated as nothing more than SNP "grievance politics."

Leonard seems to be moving broadly in the right direction, but he has been personally mediocre during FMQs (fair enough, he's new and might improve) and appointed a complete joke to finance. Not to mention Baillie is still, inexplicably, in the frame on economy. These are key positions in any front bench, but especially in a party that is supposed to be talking about redistribution, class and renewing public services. I'm sympathetic. He doesn't have many faces to choose from. But maybe Labour's left would have more leadership material if their colleagues hadn't spent so long alienating the rest of the extra-parliamentary and (now, largely) pro-independence left?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Aramoro posted:

Unpopular Opinion Time

I feel this is down to the polarisation in politics which is best exemplified with the Tory-Lib Dem coalition at Westminster. The Lib Dems went in to the coalition looking to get something done, they were never going to get much. They were never going to get to abolish Tuition fees, at best they were going to get to put their hand under the boot pressing down on the necks of the poor. And you know, looking back they did achieve some things.

But people hate this, they would rather have a principled loser than someone who can compromise. That's why the Lib Dems got wiped out at the next election and Tories returned a strong majority. This is not an unusual pattern in world politics in general, the compromising party gets annihilated at the next election and the ones they compromised with gets a majority.

This trend has only grown recently, if you compromise you are weak. If Leonard compromises and tried to bring the sides of his party together he will get torn to shreds. Unfortunately for him if he doesn't bring his party together he will never actually win an election. Just another principled loser.

I really can't agree that ScotLabs issue is an unwillingness to compromise on socialism.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

I really can't agree that ScotLabs issue is an unwillingness to compromise on socialism.

It's their seeming unwillingness to compromise enough to work together to provide a unified front, consistent message and strong policies. It's people within the party taking principled stands and effectively keeping the party divided.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Looks like the SNP have made a video with a subtle dig about David Torrance in it

https://twitter.com/theSNP/status/954040730686812160

When I say subtle I mean like a brick through a window levels of subtly.