Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I seem to remember this thread hating Bad Reporter at some point, but I have no idea why. It's one of the best things posted here.

This thread hated every single thing at some point.
unlike Tedd Roll though, we do come around to the right side eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

The newspaper article headline would technically be a better cartoon than this.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I feel like the simple answer was: Bad Reporter used to suck. And then at some point, he started managed to stick the landing on the jokes and has been consistently good since.
But, I could be wrong on that claim, it could have just been goons being goons.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

If someone has a genuinely bad "Bad reporter" please post it, I'm not sure what to believe anymore.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Flipping through his early stuff, the jokes are ok but the delivery is worse and a lot of them get overused. He's also a lot wordier which is pretty much a death sentence in this thread. Dude learned to edit, good for him.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Isn't 'Hold my beer' a thing morons say before getting their rear end handed to them?

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Can’t even get the meme wrong in the right way you loving gusano

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

Isn't 'Hold my beer' a thing morons say before getting their rear end handed to them?

Donald Trump is a teetotaller. Tony B may be a disingenuous dumbfuck with no artistic or comedic ability, but he would never go so far as to portray a president engaging in recreational usage of a drug said president has sworn off for the sake of a cheap burn.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Yeah but the thing Lurk beast is getting at was my first reaction too: usually in the meme poo poo goes real bad/stupid after that sentence.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

:obama: Man, this economy sucks.
:smugdon: Here, hold my beerDiet Coke. *Shuts down government and ruptures massive stock market bubble that has been building for the past year*

AGC

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

I seem to remember this thread hating Bad Reporter at some point, but I have no idea why. It's one of the best things posted here.
:agreed: It's the best

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

there wolf posted:

Flipping through his early stuff, the jokes are ok but the delivery is worse and a lot of them get overused. He's also a lot wordier which is pretty much a death sentence in this thread. Dude learned to edit, good for him.

Wow, it's actually really inspiring how much this guy has improved as a comedian, good for him indeed!

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Wait a minute....Branco has made this same stupid joke before! I remember because the first time he did it I thought:

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

Yeah, "hold my (whatever)" is a phrase associated with doing something really dumb, so having Trump say it is accidentally implying whatever he's about to do is actually a really bad idea.

Branco is ripping himself off:

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
New cartoon from Woke Ben

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Trogdos! posted:

New cartoon from Woke Ben

Is this an edit or is he directly associating the MAGAs with nazis?

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Katt posted:

Is this an edit or is he directly associating the MAGAs with nazis?

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

There's the Ben I know and lovathe.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Wait a minute....Branco has made this same stupid joke before! I remember because the first time he did it I thought:

Yeah, "hold my (whatever)" is a phrase associated with doing something really dumb, so having Trump say it is accidentally implying whatever he's about to do is actually a really bad idea.

Branco is ripping himself off:

I think "hold my drink" or something like that used to be the preface for doing something potentially awesome/amazing, and it's only within the last decade or so that it shifted to something really stupid.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I thought it was only about beer and implied that you were drunk and about to do something stupid.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Not really. I don't have a very positive opinion of Bush but I definitely wasn't worried that he'd start a nuclear war on a whim.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Chewbaccanator posted:

e: This guy has a Hatreon instead of a Patreon, where you can support Nazis creating content!

let's just all bask in this painful attempt at i'm-just-being-a-racist-poo poo-as-a-funny-joke-honest for a moment (emphasis mine):

StoneToss is creating subversive comics posted:

Sup my fellow thought-criminals, it's Stone, creator of StoneToss comics here. I am manufacturing the psychic chemotherapy necessary to cure the world of the mental cancer spread about by the likes of Assigned Male, (((liberalism))), and Soy-based dieting.

Not only will every dollar you contribute be denied to gay-pandering corporations, you are steering the culture away from an estrogen fueled dystopia where you BETTER bake that homo-cake OR ELSE.

Seriously though, it is my pleasure to bring you all StoneToss comics each week for free. I'd like to keep it that way, but I work for a living to support myself and my job always competes for time with my comic. Receiving your support for StoneToss not only secures the existence of the comic and a future for brave content, but helps me enhance it in non-obvious ways. Currently, I not only do all the art, but all the website maintainance, promotion, and pretty much anything else you can think of. As it stands, if anything on my website breaks, I better find a way to fix it myself. The ability to hire a freelancer or other help would keep StoneToss a smooth running machine where my efforts can focus on what I do best - the content. It has been a hell of a ride running this operation as a one man show, but I'm not complaining; if you will trade the cost of one soy-filled latte to keep me going, we can have an art genre unafraid to say what commercialized and academic arts won't.

Like, if you want to do the silly-cartoons-to-hide-your-bigotry shtick you need to get a bit better at your dogwhistles, mate. It's okay though because he said "Seriously, though" after the things he clearly actually believes.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Pants Donkey posted:

I'm beyond saving

I can assure you that no one is trying to save you.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Angepain posted:

let's just all bask in this painful attempt at i'm-just-being-a-racist-poo poo-as-a-funny-joke-honest for a moment (emphasis mine):

Like, if you want to do the silly-cartoons-to-hide-your-bigotry shtick you need to get a bit better at your dogwhistles, mate. It's okay though because he said "Seriously, though" after the things he clearly actually believes.

I cannot believe someone who is not even a professional baker is this mad about wedding cakes

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I have a vague memory of that too, but I honestly can't remember a time when it hasn't been gold in almost every panel.

Edit: Missed this page. Yeah that early comic posted above is almost at Mr. Fish level of :words:, I can see why people weren't enamored of it back then.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Angepain posted:

You'd think that once you're already on hatreon, you'd feel comfortable enough to have your fourteen words allusion actually have fourteen words, but I guess the dude is just too dumb for that.

Also: that old bad reporter is pretty wordy, yeah, but it's still funny imo, though his current work is obviously better.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

there wolf posted:

Judging by the gas price joke that's from 2005 or so, and it wasn't until 2014-16 that Bad Reporter started showing up in these threads. It was definitely just goons being goons mad about seeing something unfamiliar, same as with Zelda.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
If your sales pitch contains the phrase "(((Liberalism)))" you're telling the world that you're a nazi and proud of it.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
I mean he's pitching to Nazis, so duh.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Abyssal Squid posted:

Judging by the gas price joke that's from 2005 or so, and it wasn't until 2014-16 that Bad Reporter started showing up in these threads. It was definitely just goons being goons mad about seeing something unfamiliar, same as with Zelda.

The 2014 ones aren't that good either; he had a better handle on the format, but the jokes are less consistent, more corny stuff about current affairs than real wit. So I'm guess that when Bad Reporter first started getting posted it was mediocre, and the fake-headline gag combined with the overall Onion-clone feel put a lot of people off. When the strip started hitting it's stride around 2015, people were surprised that it was so funny and wondered why people ever hated it to begin with because it was never memorably bad, just kind of blah.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Zelda loving rules

Guess who's back in the muthafuckin house:

quote:

I’ve been working on a new project for the past few months. It’s something I’ve wanted to do forever and it has come about rather organically. Now I want to let it loose in the world.

I’ve always wanted to make a Christian news aggregator. (Yes, for REAL news). Like the Drudge Report, but for Christians. It’s been one of those ideas I’ve had for years and that has just never let go of me — just like The Babylon Bee was.

As long as I’ve had a computer in front of me I’ve been a bit of a news junkie, but running the Bee for the past 2-ish years has made it necessary for me to keep an extra-close eye on the news — all day, every day — since we write about current events all the time. So the idea, naturally, kept growing.

A few months ago I thought, hey, I’ll throw together a super-basic HTML web page, and as I read the news every day I’ll start dropping links in there that I think are interesting or important for Christians to know about. Politics, abortion, church culture, religious liberty, “totalitolerance,” Christian/conservative censorship, “sexual revolution” madness, the increasingly Orwellian power social media and tech giants have, random things I find interesting — these topics and much more are covered on the site.

My new website is called the Christian Daily Reporter.

Like Drudge, it’s a simple, static web page with nothing but links. No fluff, no trends, no bells or whistles.

And no social media. I’ll tell you why.

One thing I’ve grown increasingly concerned about in the past year or two is the enormous power we have given tech giants like Facebook and Google. Power not just over referral traffic and website monetization (which, after running two highly trafficked websites, I can attest is monumental), but the power to control information and shape society, especially as they continue to gobble up the internet while growing more and more hostile to the Christian worldview. They have a choke-hold on the flow of information on the internet. For this and other reasons, CDR is not on any social media channel and never will be. It’s completely Facebook, Google, Instagram, and Twitter-free. There are no third-party trackers or anything like that. It’s just a static web page containing links, updated by hand. I don’t even use a content management system like WordPress. Zero gatekeepers. Zero apologies. Accountable to no one but God.

(For more on the philosophy behind the site, see the CDR Manifesto.)

The Christian Daily Reporter is intentionally bare-bones and NOT optimized for social or search. Because we don’t want to be beholden to Facebook or Google. And since it’s not on any social media channel, you’ll have to visit the site directly anytime you want to read it. Just like the old days!

You can check it out right here if you’re interested: https://www.christiandailyreporter.com

I intend, Lord willing, to update it every day, regularly. I hope you’ll visit often. CDR will give you a unique combination of news and content you won’t find anywhere else. I want it to be a place where you, as a Christian, can go at any time and get a quick snapshot of what’s going on in the world that matters to you — things you need to know about.

Is it even possible for a new website to grow a readership without social media? I don’t know. But I believe very strongly in the mission of CDR and I’m hopeful that it could become an important, independent voice on the internet.

I hope the Christian Daily Reporter informs and blesses you. Give it a shot and see what you think. And I would be grateful if you’d pray for my efforts.

S.D.G.

Adam

P.S. If you’re wondering, the launch of CDR will not affect the Bee at all. The work for these two sites is quite complementary. Also, as an aside, I wasn’t planning on launching the site quite yet — but with Kenneth Copeland’s new Gulfstream V purchase as the current headline, it just felt right.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Booga booga women, booga booga trans people, booga booga abortions. Definitely need an outlet for that, Adam4Adam.

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Disappointed that "Christian cartoonist hanged, drawn, and quartered by LGBTETC Mafia for saying trans people 'can't change DNA'" turned out to be hyperbole.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
"My great idea for a website is replicating one of the few web 1.0 fossils that are still around"

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
and unironically celebrating a prosperity gospel pastor buying a gulfstream v for cash. these people really live in their own reality

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Actually, I support this Drudge knockoff. Part of what makes Adam infuriating is this twee intellectual aesthetic he uses to go along with his retrograde hot takes; stripping that away and leaving him with nothing but FWD:FWD:FWD:FWD:ONE GREAT TRICK FOR CHRISTIANS TO GET RICH is more apropos.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Nazi klurf mentioning soy, which is the saddest thing to develop among alt-right goobs. Like, there's a reason trans women use patches or shots or special pills instead of just eating shitloads of soy and a bowl of Estr-Os every morning.

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe
Lookin' forward to my christian news and views on Geocities.

Huh. Never saw that Allie in color before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Do all these idiots actually believe that Trump is 239 pounds and in perfect health? lmao, that "doctor's report" was some authoritarian North Korean level of propaganda bullshit