Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Alvarez IV posted:

The only reasonable in-universe motivation for superheroes not wanting to kill villains is that magic is confirmed to exist and the only thing worse than Joker now is Joker once he's gone to Hell, gained demonic powers, and forced his way back to life.

Why does this story not exist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Covok posted:

thats basically the lego batman movie

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

If you don't want an overriding morality from the heroes, what are you hanging around for?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Covok posted:

Because they did something like it already with Neron offering deals to various villains in exchange for their souls.

Edit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underworld_Unleashed

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jan 19, 2018

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Covok posted:

It's been done before, kind of

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The Joker got the Worlogog for like 10 seconds and gave the planet a giant smile during Rock of Ages.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Crossposting this from the Batman thread because, well, Scott Lobdell is a DC writer too.

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

Hey I just consumed some entertaining fiction written by one Scott Lobdell, ol' Scotty-L.

A comic book? Hell no, they're all mother loving terrible!

I speak, of course, of Happy Death Day, the 2017 horror film...classic?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiPD9X43knU

In case you don't know what it is, it's basically "What if Groundhog Day were a horror movie?" in the way that Edge of Tomorrow/Live. Die. Repeat./All You Need is Kill is "What if Groundhog Day were a sci-fi action movie?" It's basically a movie all about a scream queen (played by Jessica Rothe) reliving the same day over and over (which she dies at the end of) trying to figure out who her killer is. I wouldn't necessarily call the movie good, but it's definitely super fun and enjoyable, and the main character is actually pretty compellingly played and overall acted. Eh, I guess I would call the movie "good", but with the asterisk of "it has problems and Scott Lobdell gets parts of his stink all over it in a really noticeable way, even if the movie as a whole still more or less succeeds despite those issues". The movie has, like Groundhog Day, a throughline of the main character realizing how lovely of a person they are and resolving to change themselves for the better over its length. I really liked it, issues nonwithstanding.

Problems:

- Ol' Scotty-L still can't write "young person" dialog to save his loving life that reads as current over embarrassingly badly out of touch. This is easily the worst part of the movie, and there's numerous sequences and scenes that feel like Lobdell turned on Mean Girls and just copied dialog from that word-for-word. He also seems to confuse "college" with "high school" since there's poo poo people pull in this movie that reads as stuff like, 14-year-olds would pull or feel funny.

- Still really can't stress enough how bizarre and flat some sequences are because Scott really has no idea how young people talk and just approximates it via the most stereotypical of pop culture touchstones.

- He also tries for some Woke Lobdell dialog and it's so so bad. Our main at one point says, and I'm transcribing this verbatim, "Love is love! Now go get you a piece of man-rear end!" Um, what?

- Lobdell's weird misogyny comes into play at some points, but it's hard to tell if it's straight-up actual, N52 Starfire-esque misogyny, or just pure loving Scott Lobdell-rear end laziness of relying on the "queen bitch" stereotype and women calling each other "slut" and "whore" as insults because he doesn't know how young people talk.

- Some of the "laugh lines" are pretty not-great.

- It's a PG-13 film that feels like it should be "R" solely so people can swear believably. Lobdell clearly has problems coming up with PG-13-level synonyms for expletives he wants to use, so parts of the dialog feel really rough, sanitized, and overall off.

High Points:

- Because the movie is centered around a female protagonist, Lobdell is forced to write her well and more or less steps up to the plate. He can't rely on his (terrible) amoral shithead alpha male stereotypes because this movie has no room for it.

- Because the movie is centered around a female protagonist who's also kind of the absolute worst person ever, Lobdell completely fuckin' nails her arc over the course of the movie. The one thing Lobdell is good at writing is utterly reprehensible people, and her being utterly reprehensible and (more or less) believably becoming more actualized as the movie progresses actually pretty much works!

- He writes a fairly compelling male love interest for the main even if parts of their relationship's progression feel sort of jerky and not as thought through as possible.

- There's intentional moments of comedy that are actually pretty funny. There's a montage in the middle of the movie that's actually pretty clever, and there's a moment with a disco ball that's genuinely hilarious because it's so absurdist and insane.

- The ending is fun even if parts of it are predictable.

Basically, if you really like horror movies, and you want to support the expanding "movies that riff off Groundhog Day" subgenre (and you should, because more movies should be like Groundhog Day, it's a Perfect Conceit), and most importantly you want to consume fiction written by Scott Lobdell that isn't somehow inexplicably the worst loving thing ever loving written because holy gently caress Scott Lobdell is terrible, give Happy Death Day a watch! It's pretty enjoyable.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jan 19, 2018

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Man I really liked his X-Men and Generation X stuff (even though some of it didn't make much sense storywise). Dude should have stopped doing comics and such in the 90s.

edit: Actually I can't blame him for having a career but it feels sad that he isn't doing better things.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Happy Death Day was a box office hit so Lobdell is doing very well right now.

:shrug:

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Madkal posted:

edit: Actually I can't blame him for having a career but it feels sad that he isn't doing better things.

That's actually sort of my point - Happy Death Day was a gigantic commercial success, and not coincidentally, it's Lobdell's best work possibly ever?

Maybe he should stop writing comics forever and just move onto horror movie screenplays, because he's definitely not loving good at the former, and so far he's batting a thousand with the latter! Well, a thousand with an asterisk.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Covok posted:

It does exist

JLA: Another Nail

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Scott Lobdell wrote the screenplay for Happy Death Day at least a decade ago, and apparently the script was reworked by not-Lobdell at least twice, changing (according to interviews) the ending, the identity of the killer(s), the name of the protagonist, the setting, the pop culture references, and reworked the protagonist to "humanize" her and make her "less of a damsel in distress" so while the WGA insists Scott Lobdell is the screenwriter, you don't have to pretend this movie that from your review sounds kind of lovely and problematic but also very good comes from the same man who according to his hometown newspaper is the current writer of Redhead and the Outlaws.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
Man, the Fourth World omnibus is really good but the Forever People never really felt good to me, they felt like the poor man's X-Men, and Mister Miracle felt very formulaic, especially at the end with like, haunted houses and alien idols and stuff. New Gods and Jimmy Olson were pretty fun though, and it ended on a high note with "Even Gods Must Die" and Hunger Dogs

I read the first issue of the JLI omnibus I got and it's very interesting how different it feels to get a mopey Choco-less J'onn and a pre character development Guy, to say nothing of Doctor Light being prominent in any capacity. Also given what happens at the end of the first issue, I'm not surprised Max Lord would be retconned into a villain.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Solaris Knight posted:

I read the first issue of the JLI omnibus I got and it's very interesting how different it feels to get a mopey Choco-less J'onn and a pre character development Guy, to say nothing of Doctor Light being prominent in any capacity. Also given what happens at the end of the first issue, I'm not surprised Max Lord would be retconned into a villain.

JLI is one of my two favorite comics of all time -- that and Starman. I'm jealous of you getting to read it all for the first time, and I look forward to your thoughts and comments as you continue.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

JLI is one of my two favorite comics of all time -- that and Starman. I'm jealous of you getting to read it all for the first time, and I look forward to your thoughts and comments as you continue.

I bought jLI because of all the hype around it, it doesn't seem as slice of life yet compared to what I've seen, but there is glimpses of that in issue 1.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Edge & Christian posted:

the same man who according to his hometown newspaper is the current writer of Redhead and the Outlaws.

I don't have anything meaningful to say about this but holy poo poo hahahahaha

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
I'm just wondering if L!T!W! is stealing D_T's gimmick by making long posts about a Scott Lobdell project unrelated to Batman/the Bat Family in the Batman thread on the Batman forum instead of in CD.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Endless Mike posted:

You can get all four trades on eBay for $30 total

Mr Hootington posted:

If you don't mind digital, it is on comixology.

Thanks, I'm checking out what looks like a later two volume set too, with any luck I might be able to snag them.

Solaris Knight posted:

Man, the Fourth World omnibus is really good but the Forever People never really felt good to me, they felt like the poor man's X-Men, and Mister Miracle felt very formulaic, especially at the end with like, haunted houses and alien idols and stuff. New Gods and Jimmy Olson were pretty fun though, and it ended on a high note with "Even Gods Must Die" and Hunger Dogs

I thought it was odd how, once all the other series were cancelled, that Mister Miracle seemed to basically drop the New Gods stuff. The haunted houses and alien idols were certainly fun, but it seemed pretty sudden. Hunger Dogs was very interesting to me, I hadn't really looked into it, based on descriptions I'd assumed it was basically his original plans for an ending with Orion and Darkseid having their final fight, I didn't expect it to be him setting things up for other people to use these characters. Because of that though, as I was reading I was expecting the Apokoliptian technology to continue on and basically become the New New Gods or whatever. It seemed appropriate to me at the time that the Fifth World would be technological gods.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Solaris Knight posted:

Part of that is that Kirby envisioned all of these books as their own little mini-line building towards the final battle between New Genesis and Apokolips. But he left Jimmy Olsen in February 1972 to lighten his workload, and New Gods and Forever People got canceled in August of the same year. Mister Miracle was the best selling Kirby book, and a combination of Carmine Infantino telling him to keep it to superhero/adventure basics and Kirby probably giving up on his grander Fourth World ambitions made that last string of issues kind of perfunctory. Kirby started talking to Stan Lee about coming back to Marvel within the year.

quote:

On one hand, sure. On the other hand over the course of the full sixty issue run Maxwell Lord has a pretty thorough and believable redemption arc. Not to say that he's a saint by the end of the run, and he's definitely portrayed as a guy who could tip into full on Bond Villain for the first year or so, but the actually published comics between 1986-2006 draw a very different arc than towards Our Murderous Black King. Who was originally going to be Mister Jupiter anyway until someone convinced Dan Didio that no one knew who the gently caress Mister Jupiter was.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Well, the embedded BC link gives away who's coming to this week's JLA, but ah well. They never bothered to tell JH Williams (and probably Alan Moore) about reviving Promethia in the DCU,

https://twitter.com/JHWilliamsIII/status/954136422146916352

Any hopes of him ever coming back are completely down the shitter.

edit: I bet word 'round the office is just "Alan doesn't want to know. Don't bother.' and they forget to consider his co-creators.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jan 19, 2018

nofather
Aug 15, 2014
I feel like there's some weird unspoken and one-sided relationship between Geoff Johns and Alan Moore.

Like Alan Moore killed his parents, or is his illegitimate father who refused to acknowledge him, and this is all vengeance?

It's at least not as banal as being creatively a leech.

Ten years ago I uselessly blamed everything on Didio, now it's Johns.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
noted comic written by geoff johns, JLA

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Unspoken?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I don't think Johns has any antipathy toward Moore driving him to go out of his way to steal all of Moore's ideas or anything like that; I think he genuinely admires Moore's work and wants to pay tribute to him, but does it in such a way that seems calculated to annoy Moore.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I see there was a big return! Martian Manhunter
Very exciting!

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

JLI Liveblog update, this book is pretty good, and it feels like a weird window into another time when Captain Atom and Dr Fate are still Big Deals. I like how every conflict so far (Finished the JLI establishing in issue 7) is character driven in some way. Even the annual about a cell zombie is rooted in J’onn’s feelings of isolation and Otherness, and the Gray Man arc being about Dr Fate’s emotional state and sense of mercy.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Solaris Knight posted:

JLI Liveblog update, this book is pretty good, and it feels like a weird window into another time when Captain Atom and Dr Fate are still Big Deals. I like how every conflict so far (Finished the JLI establishing in issue 7) is character driven in some way. Even the annual about a cell zombie is rooted in J’onn’s feelings of isolation and Otherness, and the Gray Man arc being about Dr Fate’s emotional state and sense of mercy.

The best part about seeing those characters is trying to puzzle out what happened that made cool characters and concepts just imploded and shoveled into the dustbin.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Teenage Fansub posted:

Well, the embedded BC link gives away who's coming to this week's JLA, but ah well. They never bothered to tell JH Williams (and probably Alan Moore) about reviving Promethia in the DCU,

https://twitter.com/JHWilliamsIII/status/954136422146916352

Any hopes of him ever coming back are completely down the shitter.

edit: I bet word 'round the office is just "Alan doesn't want to know. Don't bother.' and they forget to consider his co-creators.

Wonder if there will be a "Promethea created by Williams/Moore" credit in the comic.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Madkal posted:

Wonder if there will be a "Promethea created by Williams/ORIGINAL WRITER" credit in the comic.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Trunks is joining the cast of Superman

https://www.newsarama.com/38237-superman-gets-a-new-costume-and-those-iconic-classic-red-trunks-for-action-comics-1000.html

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Thank the lord.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hopefully Vegeta will show up next.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Finally!

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

:getin:

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Mr Hootington posted:

I see there was a big return! Martian Manhunter
Very exciting!

Wait what? I haven't gotten my stuff yet. I love him so just spoiler it for me!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

I know right? They can finally put this nonsense to rest when Goku shows up.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
He's not Superman unless he's the guy who can do anything but figure out how underwear works

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

pubic works project posted:

Wait what? I haven't gotten my stuff yet. I love him so just spoiler it for me!

I read it on CBR. :P

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

site posted:

He's not Superman unless he's the guy who can do anything but figure out how underwear works

There's a fun scene where Jon sees his dad's old costume and is like 'why is your underwear on the outside' and Clark is all 'it's not underwear, son'. I love the Clark/Jon stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

This is it, this is the moment things are starting to turn around. Watch, they bring back the red trunks and all this awful poo poo that's been happening for years now is going to get better. :unsmith: