Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

PRADA SLUT posted:

If you can’t store an inflatable air mattress you have too much poo poo.

I’m not convinced you even need the TV. It sounds like you’re just looking for an excuse for something to do with it. I’d sell/donate it.

If you do the air mattress you can keep the couch, assuming the couch looks fine in there as-is.
I just have reaaally tiny closets. Like take the average closet and cut that in half, then in half again and that's what you've got in each bedroom. I have to store the vacuum and poo poo somewhere. But I dicked around with a free online program and I don't think my master plan will work so I'll give the old couch a good cleaning and send it on its way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

We need a floor plan and precise measurements! Let us shift around your home like pawns on a chess board!
Tell me more about the closets. What kind of doors do they have?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Everyone should have their place mapped out and saved somewhere. I learned Roomstyler in like 15 minutes and now whenever I’m wondering how something will look I can just open the model and add / arrange things. It makes it much easier than guessing.

Plus you can share links if you want other people to try to arrange furniture or color walls or something.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

peanut posted:

We need a floor plan and precise measurements! Let us shift around your home like pawns on a chess board!
Tell me more about the closets. What kind of doors do they have?
Regular single panel doors, painted white. Dicked around a bit and this is as close as I can get the measurements with their stock options:

Room is 9.5' x 11'. Closet on the left, entrance on bottom. Window on the top wall. Dimensions:

Closet is 35" from the bottom wall, 31.5" wide.
Entrance door is 2" from the left wall, 37" wide
Window is 59.5" x 44.5", 40" from the floor. It's 2 panes that open inward with a center post.

Walls are a chocolate brown with white 4" baseboards. Lighting is a ceiling fan centered in the room. The carpet sort of defies description - it has a floral pattern in grey and green with some red bits :gonk: Charmingly ugly. OK, it's just ugly but I'm not concerned with replacing it right now. It looks like the entrance door hits the closet but it doesn't IRL.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Facebook Aunt posted:

Fill the air mattress with helium and glue it to the ceiling

SubponticatePoster posted:

Hmm, instead of glue I could use velcro

Do y'all not know what helium does

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
That’s a small room to you?

I’ve got two teenagers, bunk beds, a wardrobe, a chest of draws, and a computer desk in a room that size with no closet. :lol:

I can’t help feeling once again that the UK is getting stiffed on room sizes :(

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

omg you'll float the whole house away!!!!

Can you show us the furniture in the room? I have a bunkbed and two dressers in a similar space it's cozy but not cramped.

^^^ sup bedroom buddy

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

learnincurve posted:

I’ve got two teenagers, bunk beds, a wardrobe, a chest of draws, and a computer desk in a room that size with no closet. :lol:

You are! The UK has the smallest house sizes compared to similar nations.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

I just have reaaally tiny closets. Like take the average closet and cut that in half, then in half again and that's what you've got in each bedroom. I have to store the vacuum and poo poo somewhere. But I dicked around with a free online program and I don't think my master plan will work so I'll give the old couch a good cleaning and send it on its way.

The last air bed that I owned packed down to a size roughly equivalent to a stack of 10 magazines and I had an electric pump that was about the size of a large coffee mug. It took up less space than the duvet and bedsheets.

like this bed - packed size 33 x 28 x 12.7 cm and this pump
Yeah, they are not amazing but if its only for a few nights here and there this will take up slightly less space than your massive couch!

My bedroom in my house in the UK is roughly 10"x11" and I have a double bed, 2 bedside units and 2 wardrobes in there with plenty of space to spare..

PRADA SLUT posted:

Everyone should have their place mapped out and saved somewhere. I learned Roomstyler in like 15 minutes and now whenever I’m wondering how something will look I can just open the model and add / arrange things. It makes it much easier than guessing.

Plus you can share links if you want other people to try to arrange furniture or color walls or something.

Is roomstyler the best free option to use? Expect a 'help me plan my tiny kitchen' request soon!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

learnincurve posted:

Too many people on too small an island.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
That’s not even remotely true and comes across as quite a bit racist posted next to your av. The UK from above is very very green. It’s a complex issue stemming from the way old medieval cities were layed out (when the population was only a few million) and also how the new industrial revolution cities were thrown up to accommodate a massive influx of people that came in from the countryside as cheaply as possible.

What is strange is when the govenment new build estate building projects happened after the wars they went “I know what poor people with lots of children will want! Massive gardens!”

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

learnincurve posted:

That’s not even remotely true and comes across as quite a bit racist posted next to your av. The UK from above is very very green. It’s a complex issue stemming from the way old medieval cities were layed out (when the population was only a few million) and also how the new industrial revolution cities were thrown up to accommodate a massive influx of people that came in from the countryside as cheaply as possible.

What is strange is when the govenment new build estate building projects happened after the wars they went “I know what poor people with lots of children will want! Massive gardens!”

Space for the kids to play and space to grow food? Can't see a problem there. Unless you match it up to a tiny damp concrete bunker of a house...

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

PRADA SLUT posted:

If you can’t store an inflatable air mattress you have too much poo poo.

Especially if the couch has a skirt, in which case the air mattress can go UNDER the couch. Hell, fold it in half and put it under the couch cushions.

Personally, I find our couch more comfortable than our bed and would have zero issues having a guest sleep on it, but I can understand some people's reticence to have guests "go sleep on the couch." (Plus we have a bit of the opposite issue -- more house than we've bothered properly to decorate -- but that's a matter for another time.)

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

learnincurve posted:

That’s not even remotely true and comes across as quite a bit racist posted next to your av. The UK from above is very very green.
Until England has room for proper national parks (free from farming & shooting as well as homes and industry) and room for the reintroduction of wolves and bears, it's overpopulated...

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

It's fine, we can just move to the continent. Oh wait..

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
The couch doesn’t have a skirt, there’s a carved wooden rail at the bottom that also acts as the feet. Gives you a couple inches of clearance.

The other thing about “just sleep on the couch” is that it works fine for a single person, but if your friends are a couple then where does the other person sleep? Anyway I’ll be rehoming the massive couch so thanks for the prodding. Sometimes you just need a kick in the rear end.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Tomarse posted:

Is roomstyler the best free option to use? Expect a 'help me plan my tiny kitchen' request soon!

I use Roomstyler because it has the furniture piece options from the places I shop. I’ve used Homestyler too, I think they’re about the same.

It’s so much easier to do layouts when you can actually see the room in 3D.

The other thing about “just sleep on the couch” is that it works fine for a single person, but if your friends are a couple then where does the other person sleep? Anyway I’ll be rehoming the massive couch so thanks for the prodding. Sometimes you just need a kick in the rear end.

Alternately, you could just buy a fishbowl and stop worrying about it

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jan 19, 2018

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

learnincurve posted:

UK house sizes seem much more sensible to me than American, and it's mainly the American new builds that are just comically proportioned.

In the 50's, a new build in the US was 983 square feet (92sqm), in 2004 it was 2349 (218sqm). That's over double the size, and I can't think of any practical reason such space is needed aside from ownership of a second vehicle (which doesn't account for the remainder of the area).

American consumerism runs rampant with house sizes, especially coupled with the "American dream" of having more and more things and needing a big place to put those things. Most people I've seen with big houses just have more poo poo to put in them, and they compartmentalize the experience of "outside" being inside their walls, such that they rarely have to leave or interact with others. Furthermore, people with oversized houses are measurably less happy than those with normal-sized dwellings, due to the increased wanting, maintenance, upkeep, and financial stress of that extra space.

I'm not sure how much experimental data there is on this, but I've heard that the American XL house damages family dynamics and marital satisfaction, from the fact that everything is too large and far apart. Like if you fight with someone, you can't just ignore them by escaping to your third of the house and have all your amenities separate from them, you have to face your problems and interact together.

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe

PRADA SLUT posted:

Most people I've seen with big houses just have more poo poo to put in them, and they compartmentalize the experience of "outside" being inside their walls, such that they rarely have to leave or interact with others.

This has always been the notable thing for me. People with large houses tend to fill that extra space with a full size gym, basement bar, pool table, indoor bowling alley, to the point that they never have to leave their own house to go anywhere or do anything. It's supremely depressing.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

PRADA SLUT posted:

UK house sizes seem much more sensible to me than American, and it's mainly the American new builds that are just comically proportioned.

In the 50's, a new build in the US was 983 square feet (92sqm), in 2004 it was 2349 (218sqm). That's over double the size, and I can't think of any practical reason such space is needed aside from ownership of a second vehicle (which doesn't account for the remainder of the area).

American consumerism runs rampant with house sizes, especially coupled with the "American dream" of having more and more things and needing a big place to put those things. Most people I've seen with big houses just have more poo poo to put in them, and they compartmentalize the experience of "outside" being inside their walls, such that they rarely have to leave or interact with others. Furthermore, people with oversized houses are measurably less happy than those with normal-sized dwellings, due to the increased wanting, maintenance, upkeep, and financial stress of that extra space.

I'm not sure how much experimental data there is on this, but I've heard that the American XL house damages family dynamics and marital satisfaction, from the fact that everything is too large and far apart. Like if you fight with someone, you can't just ignore them by escaping to your third of the house and have all your amenities separate from them, you have to face your problems and interact together.

I agree with this, but I also think UK house sizes has bred a certain stockholm syndrome or similar, where people will actively denigrate people with more space than is needed for the absolute basics. Through fortunate circumstances I have what would be a decent sized family home all to myself, and I hear the phrases "rattling around in there" and "what will you do with all that space" regularly.

I'll tell you what I'm going to do with it, I'm going to not have to compromise the layout and function of each room so that it can accommodate 2-4 other functions at the same time. I'm going to have rooms dedicated to things other than eating, sleeping and making GBS threads. It's Maslow's hierarchy of needs applied to house layouts.

But yes much like with things you own, if you've not used a room in 6 months you don't need it.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

PRADA SLUT posted:

Is Roomstyler good? Been meaning to do this but the couple pieces of software I tried seemed really bad and clunky.

e: never mind just saw your follow up post

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

The couch doesn’t have a skirt, there’s a carved wooden rail at the bottom that also acts as the feet. Gives you a couple inches of clearance.

Maybe it's just because I'm a bit older (30+), but whenever my friends come to visit, they prefer to just get a hotel room so we all have some measure of privacy.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

learnincurve posted:

I don't understand the racist part one bit tbh? Is there some british inside stuff I am missing?

EDIT: And maybe I am going too far here by pointing this out, but I googled the area and populations of our respective countries
UK area: 242,495 km², population: 65 million
Finland: 338,424 km². population: 5 million

Either way you slice it to my finnish sense of proportions that's a whole helluva lot of people on an island smaller than Finland.

EDIT2: Our house is a neat 121m² in living area, I think that's a perfect size, the yard is 2345m² and I got 30-35m² shop space. I wish I had a few hectares of forest to be honest.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jan 19, 2018

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Seemed a little high to me. I pay a little over 1% but I live in the south, though an expensive area of the south.

Of course my property taxes get me a worthless police department, lovely streets, corrupt local government, weak public schools, and this kind of poo poo

https://twitter.com/nolaready/status/953993164007747584

Nevada is around 1%. Maybe a little less though that may be because property taxes may not have kept up with home value increases over the last few years. I just sold my house for 310k and the 2016 property taxes were $2500.

3-3.5% property tax would be a bit painful to me.

bird with big dick fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jan 19, 2018

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

His Divine Shadow posted:

I don't understand the racist part one bit tbh? Is there some british inside stuff I am missing?

EDIT: And maybe I am going too far here by pointing this out, but I googled the area and populations of our respective countries
UK area: 242,495 km², population: 65 million
Finland: 338,424 km². population: 5 million

Either way you slice it to my finnish sense of proportions that's a whole helluva lot of people on an island smaller than Finland.

EDIT2: Our house is a neat 121m² in living area, I think that's a perfect size, the yard is 2345m² and I got 30-35m² shop space. I wish I had a few hectares of forest to be honest.

Yeh you are missing something :) It was incredibly ironic and unfortunate with that combo that you managed to use a catchphrase used by British racist groups like the BNP, UKIP, and the daily mail when they are advocating for the removal of anyone not-white from the UK. It was obviously a complete accident but the British will make a gasping sound and look shocked if you say it in any context in public just because of the connotations.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Hutzpah posted:

This has always been the notable thing for me. People with large houses tend to fill that extra space with a full size gym, basement bar, pool table, indoor bowling alley, to the point that they never have to leave their own house to go anywhere or do anything. It's supremely depressing.
And then suburbs have very little to do because there aren't enough people going out to keep a lot of bars/entertainment places/etc in business, and everything's built so far apart(both because the density is so low and because the roads leading out of residential areas are spaghetti) that it's kind of a pain in the rear end to go out and do things anyway, so you have as much to do at your house as possible, and the cycle continues.

As a casual urban planning nerd, it's both fascinating and depressing how this stuff all feeds into each other.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

We just bought a (old) house. It’s about 1300 sq ft, and our lot is less than twice that. But all the neighbors on our little street know each other, and it’s a very easy walk to a really healthy downtown strip and public transportation. We don’t need a lawnmower.

My dad was utterly confused why we didn’t go for a cheaper, bigger house out in the burbs and it’s nearly impossible to explain it to him :(

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

BadSamaritan posted:

We just bought a (old) house. It’s about 1300 sq ft, and our lot is less than twice that. But all the neighbors on our little street know each other, and it’s a very easy walk to a really healthy downtown strip and public transportation. We don’t need a lawnmower.

My dad was utterly confused why we didn’t go for a cheaper, bigger house out in the burbs and it’s nearly impossible to explain it to him :(

olds.txt

My dad thinks I'm stupid because I never want to own a house. He calls it "an investment."

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Haifisch posted:

And then suburbs have very little to do because there aren't enough people going out to keep a lot of bars/entertainment places/etc in business, and everything's built so far apart(both because the density is so low and because the roads leading out of residential areas are spaghetti) that it's kind of a pain in the rear end to go out and do things anyway, so you have as much to do at your house as possible, and the cycle continues.

As a casual urban planning nerd, it's both fascinating and depressing how this stuff all feeds into each other.

I see this coming from urban people but have you considered that it's a matter of perspective? From my perspective it's the opposite. I think it's so nice to have a house, to have a yard that I can do things on my time, on my conditions, to have space, peace and quiet, nature is nearby, the kids are always playing outside during the summers. I enjoy this. To live in silence, to see the stars at the night, to live in a smaller, closer society that moves at a slower pace. Maybe this is depressing to you.

I do note that the examples of things to do seem to be things urban people do, so basically the problem seems to be from an urban persons perspective that you can't do the usual stuff you do in town in a low density population area. This is of course true. You don't live in the same way here. People out here tend to have other hobbies and interests, I have a workshop for instance, and now during winters there's a lot of skiing and snow sports going on, in summers and autumns we go into the forests and pick berries to freeze or make jams and jellies for the winter (we don't buy store jam). To be honest around here there's always something happening, local events and groups, people to talk to, visiting the beach, there's more stuff you can do than there is time for so we don't feel bored, right now it's all hectic.

Perhaps what is needed is suburban/rural planning instead, the american suburb seems to be a unique phenomenon that's been badly mismanaged, a dystopian distortion of an ideal that is not compatible with the rampant capitalism your society runs on. Capitalism will always favor cities, the bigger the better. Which is ironic considering the GOP base is rural, literally voting themselves to death...

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

I usually offer my bed since I live alone. It's how I had my mom and step dad stay with me.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
It's almost like different people value different things, and take those values into account when deciding where they want to settle down and make a home. Crazy!

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

It's definitely different when you're talking about suburbs of big urban centers, because I live about 10 miles outside of Philadelphia so I have a decent sized house, enough property for me (.6 acre) and there's plenty to do. Also there's a trolley half a mile from my house I can hop on and visit more a more livelier town just ~5 miles from me (or take a 45min ride to the city).

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

The Dave posted:

It's definitely different when you're talking about suburbs of big urban centers, because I live about 10 miles outside of Philadelphia so I have a decent sized house, enough property for me (.6 acre) and there's plenty to do. Also there's a trolley half a mile from my house I can hop on and visit more a more livelier town just ~5 miles from me (or take a 45min ride to the city).

Man, do I ever wish Regional Rail ran more frequently. (It would also help if there were an easy way to walk to the nearest station, as half of the one-mile distance is a busy road with no sidewalks.)

Regarding Roomstyler: I could very well just be an idiot, but when I click on vertices and such in order to resize rooms, it just drags the view instead. Uh, help? Windows 10, Chrome.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
It’s not the suburbs themselves that are the issue, it’s the abundance of cheaply built houses packed together into some homogenized faux duchy.

There are perfectly fine and reasonable houses not-in-cities, but those aren’t what people are talking about.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
I can understand if you have an aesthetic disregard for cheaply built developments in the burbs, but there are a huge number of reasons why people end up living where they do. The blatant tone of superiority in this discussion of where people should live and why is pretty ridiculous.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

armorer posted:

I can understand if you have an aesthetic disregard for cheaply built developments in the burbs,

Oh it’s not the aesthetic that makes McMansions an issue, though it certainly doesn’t help.

I have nothing against suburban/rural living when it’s done reasonably, like typical suburban tract homes. I do have a problem with sprawling, cheaply-built neighborhoods skirting the city limits to avoid property tax, while demanding services from the city, and being built en-masse by speculative builders advertising premium real estate while delivering a huge, volatile, mediocre product.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jan 19, 2018

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Speaking as someone who grew up in suburbs, the main issues I have with them are that they're pretty wasteful compared to city living. But comparing my quality of life when living in a city vs. living in a suburb, the suburb is higher, no question. Sure, the city gives better access to a whole bunch of things...things that I rarely use. Meanwhile, it has higher noise/air pollution levels and is more cramped.

Anyway, the whole suburb vs. city thing is pretty orthogonal to the McMansion thing. There are plenty of sanely-sized, non-terribly-built houses in your average suburb.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Anyway, the whole suburb vs. city thing is pretty orthogonal to the McMansion thing. There are plenty of sanely-sized, non-terribly-built houses in your average suburb.

A Good Post

e: This is a good and informative McMansion-related article that everyone in this thread should see (w/ bonus BAD ARCHITECTURE).

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jan 20, 2018

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

veiled boner fuel posted:

Is Roomstyler good? Been meaning to do this but the couple pieces of software I tried seemed really bad and clunky.

e: never mind just saw your follow up post

I've just tried roomstyler and have concluded that it is stupid because it measures all walls from their centres not on the faces so getting an accurate room plan into it is really hard. You also cant seem to tweak the dimensions of its objects and it doesn't have things like kitchen units of all the available sizes, and having a room with varied wall/ceiling heights in different areas is seemingly impossible.

Nor can I work out how to share my created floorplan via the app other than via the medium of still 3D renders such as This one of my lovely kitchen

Tomarse fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jan 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

double post