Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

when I got my first tivo in like 2004 it took a week to get it actually working, including bringing it over to a friend's house to download data over his landline [worked over ethernet after that] and having to go back to the comcast office three times for cable cards

I got a bolt in november and it was a 5 minute phone call to a dedicated number and I could re-use the mcard from my last one so basically now that it's becoming irrelevant they've actually got it sorted out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

to be fair the entire ecosystem with regards to home media is a trash fire (so is professional AV but that's a whole different can of worms)

take a remote, for example. the absolute best remote out there is one of the harmony flavors, and its still basically just an IR blaster that is running a macro and sending out 3-4 ir codes in a row. and if one of them doesnt get picked up by the device you have to loving hit a bunch of buttons to pick that one system and turn it on or get it to where the remote thinks it should be, because there's no data return informing the remote of the state of the system

hdmi cec was supposed to solve this, but its a loving joke. the 4th and 5th gen apple tv probably do it best but as that remote can only ultimately control the tv itself (and just barely, power on/off and volume only) and the apple tv youre hosed if you have any other devices. so congrats, youre still stuck in remote hell

tivo and the tivo mini is probably next best in that it handles most of the content you need, it supports cable/ota (but not satellite), and while the remote is still an IR blaster to control the TV, it at least does it well by having a well enough designed remote with enough of the needed TV buttons present. but the CPU in them is slow as hell, so netflix, plex, other apps run like dogshit and the market share is low enough that the apps dont get updated regularly

the pro space is even worse, tons of stuff is still RS232 (but gently caress, at least its bidirectional and i can confirm that the command sent actually turned the TV on) and even the stuff that is IP enabled doesnt have a standardized communication protocol. so you have AMX, Crestron, Extron and other multiple thousand dollar controllers to coordinate everything

imagine if comcast/verizon/etc had immediately dropped apps for the 4th gen apple tv. you could have your live tv right next to your netflix, hulu, etc. with an actually good and responsive interface and all of the content being voice searchable. youd have one remote for everything and it would own. the closest you can get is an HDHomeRun on your network somewhere with an Apple TV app, but even then you're not going to get DRM channels (all Fox owned channels, premium stuff like HBO, Starz, Showtime, expect this list to grow as more people do this so that networks can get more licensing fees out of hardware manufacturers like TiVo who actually support showing/recording DRM content)

instead they sucked at the cable box/dvr fee teat as long as possible and are just now starting to push out free multi room dvr set ups and voice remotes either for free or at a reasonable enough price so that having 4 rooms with televisions doesnt effectively double your cable bill in rental fees. they're loving finished and they know it

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jan 19, 2018

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

any then companies are surprised when someone downloads plex and then just pirates all their media. i wonder why

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
my favorite thing about modern cable/dish systems is you pay $140/month for a technology stack that imposes a 1-2 second delay every time you try to change channels

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

one of the things i am pretty sure the xbox team is telling themselves is that the next one will be the only console launching with vlc and crunchyroll apps already on there for all the target users anime needs

(and all the other apps that have made it onto uwp, but the anime example is the evocative one)

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

not much you can do about that now that the signal is compressed

edit: well, except putting two additional tuners in the box that aren't used for anything at all except making channel surfing fast

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

to be fair if you ran a company that figured out you could charge your customers ten dollars a month for a device that is required to use your service [that they're already paying 50-150/month for] you wouldn't be in a big rush to change either

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
unified stbs don't exist because up until recently the entire platform was owned by cable companies, which are basically corporeal manifestations of spite and hatred

these days idk i guess you can have a ps4 that plays video games and also netflix, w/e. what's the big deal

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

pseudorandom name posted:

edit: well, except putting two additional tuners in the box that aren't used for anything at all except making channel surfing fast

actually thats exactly how directv achieves its speed in changing channels. since their current box has five tuners they can sit on even and odd transponders for most of the conus hd sats and on the spot beam for your area so when you change channels it actually just switches to the tuner that was already where it needed to be

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

FMguru posted:

my favorite thing about modern cable/dish systems is you pay $140/month for a technology stack that imposes a 1-2 second delay every time you try to change channels

the least they could do is not gently caress up that compression every 30 seconds

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

ni(ce)

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

does anybody actually turn on their TV with the intent to just see what's on anymore?

that seems very much like an elderly activity

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

does anybody actually turn on their TV with the intent to just see what's on anymore?

ill do it if im cleaning or something for background noise

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

lol no why would anyone do that

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

I must listen to advertisements while I vacuum

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

I must listen to advertisements while I vacuum
same but with podcasts

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

qirex posted:

funny to think that there was a point where the senior management at microsoft not only thought that required kinect was a good idea they thought it was such a good idea they were willing to make their system more expensive to do it. I bet none of them had ever actually used a kinect or if they did it was super carefully constructed demos, the middle managers certainly had enough feedback from the 360 to know what was wrong with it

the original xbox was distinctly marketed toward young men; huge man-hands sized controller, black and green aesthetic, main title was shoot-mans: shooting evolved, etc. then an executive said "we should.. ugh... [READS FROM NOTES LABELLED "NINTENDO'S SECRET SAUCE"] um.. 'grow gaming' and 'expand the market'" so they tried to do a 180 360 and make it a Family Fun System for casual gaming with Kinect. hard to fight against the brand perceptions you yourself spent $1 billion+ solidifying.

qirex posted:

it's also almost spooky how they almost exactly repeated sony's mistake with the ps3 of trying to create the mythical "home entertainment convergence device" instead of a dedicated game console

don't forget, that right as pro eSports was taking off, they decided to announce Xbox One by showcasing a tonne of Meat Sports features and partnerships. like this was the moment in gaming the Digital Prophets foretold of and Microsoft was reverting to American football

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

would never argue for the worth of the xbone as a product, just that microsoft won't let the line go after nonetheless selling 35+ million of them and no doubt gouging some very decent subscription money out of people

of course not, they never do. after Satya fired like 10,000 people a few years ago he wrote almost as many words to say "we're not cancelling any products or getting out of any industries ever period". but even the Zune was too big a loser to keep around eternally. they'll transfer the brand to another less expensive product, rebrand it a few more times, then quietly cancel it years down the road.

MS could spin off 343 and let them develop Halo 6 for PS4 and Xbox, with extras for Xbox Live subscribers on both platforms. a back-room deal from Sony rewards MS with cross-platform play. players migrate over and Microsoft begins treating Xbox Live like a season pass of some kind, across all systems. Xbox is never officially killed but by 2021 no one can find them in stores. when complaints about micro-transactions and subscriptions in Xbox Games titles become too much, it's rebranded Microsoft Games Subscription, etc.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

PleasureKevin posted:

a tonne of Meat Sports features and partnerships. like this was the moment in gaming the Digital Prophets foretold of and Microsoft was reverting to American football

this gives me pleasure, kevin

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

FMguru posted:

when my parents still had cable and they went all digital they were told that they would only get one free box so i bought them a roku stick for the little kitchen tv and the cable box went into the living room. the roku on wifi with the spectrum app was faster to navigate than the cable box, didn't take 5+ minutes to boot up after a power failure or update and went back to the same channel it was left on while the cable box defaulted to the help channel every time it was turned on. since then they dumped cable and now they have an antenna for the locals and fiber optic internet with directv now via an apple tv 4k for pay channels in the living room and changing the directv now channel on the apple tv is actually faster than changing the channel on the ota tuner in the tv.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

predictive television execution

sounds like a fantastic idea let's do it

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

The_Franz posted:

directv now

you're enabling money getting to at&t

you're going to the special hell

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

my wife will turn it on but only to see which nba game shes gonna watch that night since she has league pass

i got a tivo in like 97 and immediately got into the habit of only turning on the tv with a specific purpose in mind and thats still how i function

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i dont even turn on a tv :smug:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Krankenstyle posted:

i dont even turn on a tv :smug:

buddy you've never turned anything on

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Endless Mike posted:

buddy you've never turned anything on

rude

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

finally updated to 1709 Fall Creators Update©®™ (because i set it to current branch for business or whatever it was that deferred the big updates a few months, and now they've changed that terminology so your choices are "semi annual channel" and "semi annual channel targeted" wtf does that even mean)

it changed my wallpaper back to the default

there's really nothing terrible about that, everything works nothing is profoundly broken or hosed up, it takes no effort to change it back...

but seriously, why? how? it's so sloppy.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
there appears to be a preference reset randomizer

something(s) somewhere will change to defaults on upgrade. i'm willing to bet if you ran it in a vm, reverted to a pre-upgrade snapshot, and upgraded again it wouldn't be the same thing twice. but every single upgrade resets something

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
its possible it has something to do w/ settings sync which will bring over background and other settings. if you disabled it and the update re-enabled it it might have brought over a previous background from before you disabled settings sync.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Shaggar posted:

its possible it has something to do w/ settings sync which will bring over background and other settings. if you disabled it and the update re-enabled it it might have brought over a previous background from before you disabled settings sync.
no, it's random even if you don't attach a microsoft account to your operation system

unless you're saying it'll try to sync, fail, and revert to the default, which actually sounds plausible

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Huh, mine didn't dump the rotating wallpapers when I updated, weird.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
nothing in the microsoft world ever works consistently which is why reproducing analyses done in excel is such a pain in the rear end

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

nothing in the microsoft world ever works consistently which is why reproducing analyses done in excel is such a pain in the rear end

i did this a number of times for lehman, and it turns out there are just very specific rules on where rounding takes place, it seems otherwise consistent between then-current versions

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Milwaukee goons, there's an Azure bootcamp day in April. Might be fun?

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/2018-milwaukee-global-azure-bootcamp-day-tickets-42379895408

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Azure: Pay More For Slower Stuff, But We Have A Lot Of Numbers In Our Rolodexes And It Keeps Our Company Alive

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I had a fun issue with my desktop where Windows 10 would hang for 2-3 seconds every few minutes until I disabled hyperthreading. Huh.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

new nvidia drivers mitigate spectre and also break multiple monitors. thanks

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

hifi posted:

new nvidia drivers mitigate spectre and also break multiple monitors. thanks
they've been working fine on my 980ti since they were released

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013