Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

In Mexico it is an UO to enjoy tex-mex food, even if you don't consider it Mexican.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

hawowanlawow posted:

tex-mex trounces both

Yeah.

I mean, people talk about "real" Mexican food but the fact is that "real" Mexican food doesn't include the burrito so it's already lost.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
If you don't know how to answer "red or green" you should be ashamed (hint: the answer is always green).

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

yeah I eat rear end posted:

If you don't know how to answer "red or green" you should be ashamed (hint: the answer is always green).

That really depends on the context

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Guy Goodbody posted:

That really depends on the context

I never encountered a meal in NM where red was the better option. Both is OK but I prefer just green in basically every context.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
the wendy’s anime girl is inherently manipulative

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Those heart shaped candies are actually pretty good. They basically bave the same texture as altoids.

Though the white ones do suck.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Wasabi is poo poo.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Wasabi is poo poo.

Pansy

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I have honestly only tried red once in my life and I've never seen anyone else order it. We put green on everything out here to the point that I'm honestly surprised that red is an option at most restaurants.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

If you don't Christmas up your enchiladas then you're missing out. Both sauces and a small dollop of sour cream. Live life.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
PHUO: People need to stop giving a poo poo what food other people like and how they eat it. I cannot imagine how much free time and energy you would need to let this bother you in the slightest.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

I have honestly only tried red once in my life and I've never seen anyone else order it. We put green on everything out here to the point that I'm honestly surprised that red is an option at most restaurants.

What? :psyduck:

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

christmas is valid but i just don't see why you'd order red only if you're in that area. Green chile+ pepper jack cheese is the perfect burger.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Green Chili is good on anything. Or even just out of a bowl. Best food ever.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

christmas is valid but i just don't see why you'd order red only if you're in that area. Green chile+ pepper jack cheese is the perfect burger.

Look at this guy and the correct opinions.

Always lookin forward to the green chilis when I have a need to go down to abq.

PHUO (apparently for who I work with):it’s okay to adventure out of the hotel on travel. God drat near impossible to get my workmates to go out and actually enjoy the local fare on the rare occasion I travel anymore.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Higgy posted:

PHUO (apparently for who I work with):it’s okay to adventure out of the hotel on travel. God drat near impossible to get my workmates to go out and actually enjoy the local fare on the rare occasion I travel anymore.

A lot of the people I work with are like this too - we go to all these other countries/states/whatever that we've never been to but most people spend the entire time either in the conference center or in their room and order food in. Even getting them to go downstairs to the hotel bar/restaurant is apparently out of the question because it's "too expensive". Summary phuo: if you're on vacation (even a working one) you should bend the budget rules once in a while, it won't bankrupt you.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A lot of the people I work with are like this too - we go to all these other countries/states/whatever that we've never been to but most people spend the entire time either in the conference center or in their room and order food in. Even getting them to go downstairs to the hotel bar/restaurant is apparently out of the question because it's "too expensive". Summary phuo: if you're on vacation (even a working one) you should bend the budget rules once in a while, it won't bankrupt you.

[citation needed]

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

If going out to dinner once in a while especially when part of it is covered in the per diem rate breaks your bank you should probably ask for a raise.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

If going out to dinner once in a while especially when part of it is covered in the per diem rate breaks your bank you should probably ask for a raise.

Man I need to try that at work. I never thought to ask my boss for a raise, ty.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I guess I'm not too surprised that suggesting going out to eat/being social is good is a controversial opinion in PYF. I wasn't saying to do it every meal or go to some fancy place - not everything people post on SA is meant to be taken to the extreme with universal application.

The root of my opinion wasn't really even about going out to eat, it was that you come across as an antisocial goon if you're holed up in your room all the time in a new country you'll probably never return to. Going out to eat was just an easy example that almost everyone does at least once while on vacation. There are plenty of other good things to do that don't cost money (or very little in comparison), but the people in question just camp in their generic hotel room watching CNN or whatever familiar TV channel they can find.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just don't know why you didn't say that then.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

[citation needed]

Are you seriously claiming someone with a job that makes them travel is not going to be able to afford going out and picking up some cheap local food occasionally?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Korgan posted:

Are you seriously claiming someone with a job that makes them travel is not going to be able to afford going out and picking up some cheap local food occasionally?

Yeah, I thought this was the obvious context based on what I said and what I was responding to. If you find yourself in a different country, whether it's for work (which is what I was mostly talking about, with colleagues who all make roughly the same amount of money) or otherwise, you probably should have the disposable income to spend an extra 15-20 bucks here and there, especially in the context of a work trip where everything else is paid for. I wasn't saying you should do it every meal or it has to be some fancy michelin star restaurant.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

No matter where I am I always ask around for the best dive bar and head there. I've been lead to some stupid ones, and some good ones, but at least I'm not sitting on a hotel bed watching local high school football games or somehow HBO from the 90's.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Canadian government per diem rate (which a lot of businesses follow) gives $80US a day for meals and incidentals in the US.

Assuming you're probably having a small (or no) breakfast and lunch if you're at a conference or some kind of corporate training, that can get you a pretty good dinner each day. Every training I've gone for has even provided breakfast.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

To be fair, a lot of hotel bar/restaurants are overpriced. If I'm too bushed to go out and find a real restaurant I'd just as soon look up a Chinese place that does delivery and order in.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

OTOH if you really can’t afford to eat out once in a while you should go get a job that pays you a lot more money and then you can eat out

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

oldpainless posted:

OTOH if you really can’t afford to eat out once in a while you should go get a job that pays you a lot more money and then you can eat out

Yeah, just get a better job. It's like, stop being poor. Just go do it.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Guy Goodbody posted:

Yeah, just get a better job. It's like, stop being poor. Just go do it.

Now you’re on the trolley

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

oldpainless posted:

Now you’re on the trolley

mostly cuz I can't pay rent tho.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Star wars opinion: if you ignore the unnecessarily evil parts of the dark side portrayed in the movie, it's a lot better and more relateable than being a jedi. Being willing to do anything to save a friend/loved one is a good thing, not an evil thing. If the jedi had just let anakin save natalie portman he could be the dark side friend of the jedi and the old movies never would have happened.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That's one of the many reasons why The Last Jedi works really, really hard to say "Hey Luke/Snoke's way of seeing the Force in binary is outdated and kind-of stupid, especially as a long-term Disney property."

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

mind the walrus posted:

That's one of the many reasons why The Last Jedi works really, really hard to say "Hey Luke/Snoke's way of seeing the Force in binary is outdated and kind-of stupid, especially as a long-term Disney property."

Luke never held that viewpoint. He always tried to save his friends and family. He spends most of the original films telling the Jedi their binary view of the force was outdated and kind of stupid.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Most of the games (and from what I hear the books too but I've never read any) try to go in that direction too but the hard rule from Lucas was nope, it's good and evil. No shades, no yin-yang balance stuff. Dark is a perversion and bad and wrong.

Disney seems to be going a different direction, which is good.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The dark side might be relatable if you only focus on the space wizard philosophy, but every dark side user and their underlings have been shown to be literal nazi mass murderers. It’s like, you can justly criticize the US and other liberal western statss but there is no area where you compare Bush to Hitler and come away thinking “I’m with Adolf on this one” unless you’re a nazi

USA = jedi Nazis = Sith

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The dark side might be relatable if you only focus on the space wizard philosophy, but every dark side user and their underlings have been shown to be literal nazi mass murderers. It’s like, you can justly criticize the US and other liberal western statss but there is no area where you compare Bush to Hitler and come away thinking “I’m with Adolf on this one” unless you’re a nazi

USA = jedi Nazis = Sith

Nonsense, D&D has been saying that for decades, largely because Hitler was European, and therefore less evil by default than any American. :colbert:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

USA = jedi Nazis = Sith

only the sith deal in absolutezsefjis

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
What if being a selfish, bloodthirsty tyrant was good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

sassassin posted:

What if being a selfish, bloodthirsty tyrant was good?

It is as long as you can convince your enemies you have under your foot that it's in fact good instead of rounding them up into camps and making it obvious you are exterminating them.