Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Uhhh how? As far as I’m aware they don’t even off Android Auto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

dissss posted:

Uhhh how? As far as I’m aware they don’t even off Android Auto.

They don't, because very few people who willingly purchase an android phone could afford a new car, much less a BMW.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum

cool startup feel posted:

They don't, because very few people who willingly purchase an android phone could afford a new car, much less a BMW.

Trolling is supposed to make the other person look stupid.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Car companies only supporting Apple only isn't exactly new.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

I've been a contrarian Android phone user since the beginning and my next phone will be iOS because why the gently caress would you want to use Android over iOS 11 especially since the entire wealthy (Western) world supports Apple more.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Because iOS is stupid and dumb and I refuse to use their poo poo system.

The analogue to car companies is easy here.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I just put all my mp3's on a tiny usb drive and leave it in my car, but when I do have music on my phone I just hook up the 3.5mm audio cable. I also use internet forums for a website that was cool 18 years ago because I already paid $10 and still want to get my money's worth.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Wheeee posted:

I've been a contrarian Android phone user since the beginning and my next phone will be iOS because why the gently caress would you want to use Android over iOS 11 especially since the entire wealthy (Western) world supports Apple more.

Be careful - I went from Android to iOS 11 last year and the software situation on the Apple side is pretty grim. Plus they still haven’t worked out how to do notifications properly.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

But what about Windows phones? :ohdear:

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

davebo posted:

I just put all my mp3's on a tiny usb drive and leave it in my car, but when I do have music on my phone I just hook up the 3.5mm audio cable. I also use internet forums for a website that was cool 18 years ago because I already paid $10 and still want to get my money's worth.

Bluetooth audio usually sounds like poo poo anyway

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

This is far less true if both your phone and car are on the latest bluetooth standard, so just keep buying new phones and cars every year.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Wheeee posted:

I am an iOS user because some software i really need only runs on it. Android had a lot of clever little things I miss, like the ability to "skip" an upcoming instance of a recurring alarm if you wake up a few mins before it goes off. iOS works but feels stale in comparison. It also has more bugs/crashes in core apps like mail/calendar/safari than many people are willing to admit.

I have a multi platform compatible future proof $10 vent clip for the phone rather than android auto/carplay, they really do seem kinda pointless.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Wistful of Dollars posted:

We are trying to have a serious conversation here and you're just making things up

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

I hate bluetooth in general buuuuuuuuuuuuut a car is a loving woeful environment to be actively listening to music anyway so it's whatever really, you wont notice much difference unless you're sat still in a quiet place.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

What's a "Windows phone"? :confused:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I hate bluetooth in general buuuuuuuuuuuuut a car is a loving woeful environment to be actively listening to music anyway so it's whatever really, you wont notice much difference unless you're sat still in a quiet place.

Nah, there's a noticeable difference. In my econobox xB, CDs sound much better than bluetooth and in between is mp3s off a thumb drive.

So I basically never use bluetooth in my car for anything other than phone calls.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

We are trying to have a serious conversation here and you're just making things up

I would never do such a thing. Are you suggesting people would simply lie on the internet?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Well there ya go.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Bluetooth sounded great in whatever the system my 2013 Golf R had, I couldn't tell a difference between bluetooth, CDs (I only ever played one to see if it sounded better) or a SD card shoved in it. That's the part I miss most about that car, the stereo.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Domestic Amuse posted:

What's a "Windows phone"? :confused:

I know we're all having a go but WinPhone 10 as a basic phone was good. The OS was light and responsive. It just had zero app support. I really liked the live tiles too. They're stupid as gently caress on a desktop but were great on a phone.

RIP Lumina 635. Also RIP Nokia in general, it's a shame you were too stupid to make Android phones, they would have been great.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Nokia does make Android phones now.

I don't know if they're great, but they're certainly okay at the lower price points.

Mahatma-Squid
Nov 22, 2004

One of the last true gentlemen left alive . ';,,,,,,,,;'

Iphones haven't been a status symbol for over a decade now, you might want to rethink this whole thing.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Nah, there's a noticeable difference. In my econobox xB, CDs sound much better than bluetooth and in between is mp3s off a thumb drive.

So I basically never use bluetooth in my car for anything other than phone calls.

Current bluetooth standards are loads better than they used to be, vast majority of manufacturers use aptX which is 16bit/44khz from your device (CD quality). These days you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference whilst driving.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Wrar posted:

I know we're all having a go but WinPhone 10 as a basic phone was good. The OS was light and responsive. It just had zero app support. I really liked the live tiles too. They're stupid as gently caress on a desktop but were great on a phone.

RIP Lumina 635. Also RIP Nokia in general, it's a shame you were too stupid to make Android phones, they would have been great.

The new Nokia 8 is supposed to be great.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Current bluetooth standards are loads better than they used to be, vast majority of manufacturers use aptX which is 16bit/44khz from your device (CD quality). These days you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference whilst driving.

Whilst driving is key - most people won't notice a difference while in motion unless they have it cranked.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

davebo posted:

I also use internet forums for a website that was cool 18 years ago because I already paid $10 and still want to get my money's worth.

I just want to give this post the recognition it deserves.

As a complete loving luddite and somebody who still intentionally uses a Samsung Galaxy S4 (I don't even have all the fancy emoticons!) I'm on this page.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I looked into buying an aftermarket Android Auto compatible head unit for my car, but realized that I wouldn't like it. Instead I bought one of those vent phone holders with a magnet, modified it and glued it with double sided adhesive tape so that the phone sits next to the OEM headunit. Looks great and doesn't distract when I use it for directions. I've got one of those "plug into CD changer bluetooth/3.5mm things ordered as well. If everything works out I'll have exactly what I need.

VVVV: Having been without my own music for 1½ years (tried using FM transmitter, but it sucks and it's an old setup I had), I do miss it. I also really miss not being able to take calls. All of that will hopefully be solved once my box arrives.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jan 19, 2018

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
It's nice to be able to take hands-free calls in the car with Bluetooth but other than that all I ever really needed out of a car is an AUX in plug. And I've had that ever since I bought one of those cassette tape deck AUX-In converter things for my Ford Taurus in 2003 so I'm not really feeling the advancement in head unit tech. And every car has a drat lit-up touchscreen in the center console now and not every manufacturer allows you to just turn them off bleeech

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I used to be obsessed with home theater audio, gaming PCs, and having the most powerful, keyboard equipped windows phones, and nice car audio setups.

Awesome Klipsch setup, gaudy Alienware and custom computers, more phones than I can count....

Then I had a bunch of kids, decided to work a lot, and took up outdoor activities as hobbies.

Now I have a vizio sound bar, use an iPad as my home computer, just switched to an iPhone x from the S7 edge (that I got after turning in TWO Note 7s), and listen to music via Bluetooth on my stock speakers.

And it's fine.

Fine.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

eyebeem posted:

I used to be obsessed with home theater audio, gaming PCs, and having the most powerful, keyboard equipped windows phones, and nice car audio setups.

Awesome Klipsch setup, gaudy Alienware and custom computers, more phones than I can count....

Then I had a bunch of kids, decided to work a lot, and took up outdoor activities as hobbies.

Now I have a vizio sound bar, use an iPad as my home computer, just switched to an iPhone x from the S7 edge (that I got after turning in TWO Note 7s), and listen to music via Bluetooth on my stock speakers.

And it's fine.

Fine.

Look at this guy being a normal person instead of a giant internet nerd.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I really like the Sony Android auto head unit I dropped in my WRX. Having native interface for pocketcasts and Google Maps or Waze is really nice. Also having Google Assistant a button press away is incredible while driving.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

bull3964 posted:

I really like the Sony Android auto head unit I dropped in my WRX. Having native interface for pocketcasts and Google Maps or Waze is really nice. Also having Google Assistant a button press away is incredible while driving.

I need two stereos, one for my Crown and the other for my Rugger. The Crown comes with the perfectly-formed double-din space for one of those double-din touch screen deals but the Rugger has a single-din space and it's way low in the center stack and behind the shift lever. Going to get one of those OEM-looking Continental ones even though they approach 200 bucks. Would be killer to have modern android auto stuff in the Crown since the whole purpose of that is a highway cruiser.

I can't imagine the pita it would be to work with modern cars and their stereo systems, the one in the Rs looked so integrated.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

My 2011 WRX wasn't too bad since it's not too integrated. I got a custom harness off a guy that specializes in Subaru stuff and it was pretty much plug and play right down to the factory USB socket. Even the factory steering wheel controls were a piece of cake with the custom harness. I just hacked up a 3.5mm extension and plugged it directly into the 3.5mm jack on the AX100 and I could map all the steering wheel controls including the call button just like stock.

Took me about 10 minutes to physically install it after I wired up the harnesses. I could go back to stock just as quickly.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Wrar posted:

I still use a Windows Phone because I hatehateHATE the Android and iOS UI.

I also have an Android tablet for an e-reader and games, because there aren't any apps for Windows Phone

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Nice looking sed...UV...gon

There are 4 doors ??

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

WTF? Seriously?

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

I think the Lexus engineers need to replace their graphics cards or something.

:stare:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

What's under the hood?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

What's under the hood?

Snakes and spiders, probably an octopus or thirty