Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I'm the Cadillac tailfin tail lamp just chillin on this fender. I wish I was usable interior space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

This thing is eating the sourest candy known

The Lexus Warhead

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Windows phone is awesome and has the nicest UI but until Microsoft figures out a way for it to run Android apps natively (Or with low enough overhead in a VM) the platform is a joke.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's not just a joke, it's dead. It technically still exists due to the ARM version of Windows still existing, but it's never going to be a thing that shows up in carrier stores again.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

I didn't think it was possible to make the C-HR more confusing and angular.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

dissss posted:

Nokia does make Android phones now.

I don't know if they're great, but they're certainly okay at the lower price points.

The company making them is different, they just bought the right to use the brand. But they probably have some old Nokia employees on board.

But they do seem to be pretty good Android phones and supposedly get updates to Android faster than most other phones.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

I don't hate this. I'm not sure I like it, but it makes me feel something, even perhaps just a vague sense of curiosity and confusion, as opposed to Identical Crossover #98.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It's ugly, but it's powerfully ugly, rather than blandly ugly or resignedly ugly like so many other modern SUVs.

I'm okay with it.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

"STRETCHTOOL'D!!!"

"owwww my Vertices!"

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Standing in line to get the latest iPhone to blast some Texas Country in my new King Ranch F-250 to establish my alpha-ness. Tomorrow I'm having the Molon Labe and Thin Blue Line stickers put on.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

At long last, I finally understand what non-elucidian looks like:

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Lexus really had that whole understated luxury thing going pretty well for a while now all their cars look like stuff from weird rear end Japanese cartoons.

The LC does look pretty cool in person though

Mercedes really stepped up their game after the late 2000's and ate their lunch when it came to styling. I mean check out these proportions:

heated game moment fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jan 20, 2018

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

whoops

wallaka fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jan 20, 2018

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Looks like Lexus and Infiniti are heading towards some sort of weird design convergence

Bogatyr
Jul 20, 2009

cool startup feel posted:

Lexus really had that whole understated luxury thing going pretty well for a while now all their cars look like stuff from weird rear end Japanese cartoons.

The LC does look pretty cool in person though

Mercedes really stepped up their game after the late 2000's and ate their lunch when it came to styling. I mean check out these proportions:

Its like they are trying to fix the ugly trunk profile, but not completely. Like they refuse to admit that it is ugly.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I’ll take weird as gently caress and aesthetically interesting Lexus over boring as poo poo Lexus any day of the week.

Their designs are daring and polarizing, but at least they are cohesive, unlike whatever the gently caress Infiniti has been doing.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

eyebeem posted:

I’ll take weird as gently caress and aesthetically interesting Lexus over boring as poo poo Lexus any day of the week.

Their designs are daring and polarizing, but at least they are cohesive, unlike whatever the gently caress Infiniti has been doing.

Infinitis all look the same now.

Go look up the small QX whatever and tell me you could tell it was a different brand from that Lexus

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I don't think you've all noticed the bucket seat in the back.

Has anyone ever actually done that? Looks real funky.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
What's wrong with infiniti? I mean their crossovers are ugly but they definitely aren't generic, and I think the cars have almost always looked good since the first G35.

The new Q60 looks pretty cool

heated game moment fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jan 20, 2018

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Wheeee posted:

Windows phone is awesome and has the nicest UI but until Microsoft figures out a way for it to run Android apps natively (Or with low enough overhead in a VM) the platform is a joke.

Windows Phone is dead "for now" as far as a platform, they're keeping the development fork around "sort of", but they're re-focusing on it being an "enterprise platform", and if/when they re-enter the market it's highly likely it's going to be a full-featured windows system with telephony capability.

The funny thing is, they HAD an Android compatibility platform (Astoria, they also had an iOS bridge which is why you got the Candy Crush games and such), and it was AWESOME; it was basically an Android layer within the Windows subsystem and had +90% compatibility out of the box. Basically anything that utilized Google's services layer wouldn't work (because of course), but they had code pieces you could just plug in to redirect to Microsoft's version of those services.

And then Satya killed it, because of course he did.

The new common core philosophy is a good one, but Microsoft dicked around too long and made too many stupid decisions to have a chance in the mobile market at this point. Enterprise handsets might keep things going for a while (since they don't give a poo poo about apps) and justify keeping the platform around, outside of them basically having to keep it around to have the telephony layer for when they're able to release full windows on a handset form factor.

Let me tell you about how Band 2 was an outstanding wearable that really wasn't given a chance either.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

What's wrong with infiniti? I mean their crossovers are ugly but they definitely aren't generic, and I think the cars have almost always looked good since the first G35.

Those cars don’t look good and their crossovers look even worse.

The g35, maybe g37 coupe were their last good looking cars, in my opinion.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

I like it and I think the new Hyundai G70 inadvertently ended up looking somewhat like it (along with other cribs). I get excited to see a G70 in person and turns out it's the Q60 at some angle.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

ExplodingSims posted:

someone photoshop the predator face into this

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

MikeyTsi posted:

Windows Phone is dead "for now" as far as a platform, they're keeping the development fork around "sort of", but they're re-focusing on it being an "enterprise platform", and if/when they re-enter the market it's highly likely it's going to be a full-featured windows system with telephony capability.

The funny thing is, they HAD an Android compatibility platform (Astoria, they also had an iOS bridge which is why you got the Candy Crush games and such), and it was AWESOME; it was basically an Android layer within the Windows subsystem and had +90% compatibility out of the box. Basically anything that utilized Google's services layer wouldn't work (because of course), but they had code pieces you could just plug in to redirect to Microsoft's version of those services.

And then Satya killed it, because of course he did.

The new common core philosophy is a good one, but Microsoft dicked around too long and made too many stupid decisions to have a chance in the mobile market at this point. Enterprise handsets might keep things going for a while (since they don't give a poo poo about apps) and justify keeping the platform around, outside of them basically having to keep it around to have the telephony layer for when they're able to release full windows on a handset form factor.

Let me tell you about how Band 2 was an outstanding wearable that really wasn't given a chance either.

Use a Lumia 550 for a week and tell me that wasn't a product that had already been given up on. Pretty sad when BLU made a better $200 winphone than Microsoft did near the end there.
or lol, remember when HERE pulled the plug on MS and you couldn't GPS if you didn't have an existing installation of it for 6 months? straight-up bumblefuck, that was.
anyways RIP BeOS Phone 10. I bitch, but I miss it.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

ExplodingSims posted:

Of all the cars to make all the others look like, Toyota just had to go and choose the Prius. I guess it makes sense, the second gen prius was first and then all the other Toyotas followed suit with that porpoise nose thing that it had. I guess I'll continue to not buy an ugly Toyota, looks like I'm starting on the second decade of that :v:

Also, I wish we could table cellphone/gadget chat in this thread. There's whole other forums for it.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Shrugs Not Drugs posted:

Use a Lumia 550 for a week and tell me that wasn't a product that had already been given up on. Pretty sad when BLU made a better $200 winphone than Microsoft did near the end there.
or lol, remember when HERE pulled the plug on MS and you couldn't GPS if you didn't have an existing installation of it for 6 months? straight-up bumblefuck, that was.

I wish there was a credible alternative to Android and iOS. I don't even need that many apps, primarly email, a decent web browser (Firefox, really) and some sort of mapping/GPS.

Dumbphones and featurephones just suck in every aspect but battery life.

For the ultimate dream device, I want a fully-fledged Linux installation, full wifi monitoring/scanning/AP capability and a hardware keyboard. The Nokia N900 and the original concept for the N9 were the closest we ever got :(

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

kimbo305 posted:

I like it and I think the new Hyundai G70 inadvertently ended up looking somewhat like it (along with other cribs). I get excited to see a G70 in person and turns out it's the Q60 at some angle.

drat I had to look at this a few times before I noticed it was a Hyundai and not the 4 door version of the Q60

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Read about a new car you like? Post it here, in the let's debate phone platforms for the trillionth time thread.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

eyebeem posted:

I used to be obsessed with home theater audio, gaming PCs, and having the most powerful, keyboard equipped windows phones, and nice car audio setups.

Awesome Klipsch setup, gaudy Alienware and custom computers, more phones than I can count....

Then I had a bunch of kids, decided to work a lot, and took up outdoor activities as hobbies.

Now I have a vizio sound bar, use an iPad as my home computer, just switched to an iPhone x from the S7 edge (that I got after turning in TWO Note 7s), and listen to music via Bluetooth on my stock speakers.

And it's fine.

Fine.

I also used to be a huge audiophile nerd.

The stock system in my xB is awesome, I also have a poo poo ton of CDs so I just use those in my car.

I never listen to music from my phone, and since the bluetooth in my car didn't impress me, there's no reason to put any on it.

CDs are just fine with me :)

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Shrugs Not Drugs posted:

Lumia 550 was supposed to be an entry-level device, which was probably a dumb decision anyway (look at how much the loving iphones cost, people will buy an expensive phone if it's got the features and apps to back it up).

I've been using Windows devices since 5.0, my latest ones have been the 920, 1520 (the 32GB international version, not the nerfed at&t), and now I'm using an HP Elite X3, which is a fantastic device (I was looking at a 950xl, but this one is newer, more powerful, and I got an excellent deal on it).

I'll keep going on this as long as I can, hopefully Microsoft will release Metro on Launcher, at least then I can get an Android with a non-lovely UI.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/MercedesBenz/status/954849862859788288

That pink accent lighting....

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Is spectacular, pink is awesome and needs to be used more often.

In new car chat, I realized something the other day: There's lots of neat cars (And trucks and SUVs!) out there, but there's only one car that really grabs my attention. I see plenty of generic "luxury" cars like Audis and poo poo and they're really just nicer versions of regular boring poo poo. The occasional Lamborghini or McLaren does less for me than a sport bike.

But on a gut level, every time I see a new version of this car I want one, and every time one almost silently rolls past me as I'm walking I notice. It makes every other car on the road look obsolete.

It's the Prius.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Wheeee posted:

But on a gut level, every time I see a new version of this car I want one, and every time one almost silently rolls past me as I'm walking I notice. It makes every other car on the road look obsolete.

It's the Prius.

They're good! Great mileage, extremely reliable, slow on the consumables, and basically as drama-free as they are excitement-free. If I drove every day I'd absolutely be in one.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

I'm assuming that it's an RGB LED strip of some kind and it can be pink or some other color. Pink is rad as heck though.

Wheeee posted:

In new car chat, I realized something the other day: There's lots of neat cars (And trucks and SUVs!) out there, but there's only one car that really grabs my attention. I see plenty of generic "luxury" cars like Audis and poo poo and they're really just nicer versions of regular boring poo poo. The occasional Lamborghini or McLaren does less for me than a sport bike.

It's the Prius.

Cocoa Crispies posted:

They're good! Great mileage, extremely reliable, slow on the consumables, and basically as drama-free as they are excitement-free. If I drove every day I'd absolutely be in one.

Plus they seem to age far, far better than anything else. I haven't seen a calpped-out Prius bombing around on blown suspension like I do with every single Escalade or Excursion ever made. Or old Hyundais.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

My new favorite feature on most electrics/plug-in hybrids is the ability to heat or cool the car while it's plugged in, remotely from a phone or something. That alone would be worth the purchase price if you live in the desolate frozen north or an area where swamp rear end is a way of life. I know remote car starters have existed for a while, but they're not the future.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

KakerMix posted:

I'm assuming that it's an RGB LED strip of some kind and it can be pink or some other color. Pink is rad as heck though.

Plus they seem to age far, far better than anything else. I haven't seen a calpped-out Prius bombing around on blown suspension like I do with every single Escalade or Excursion ever made. Or old Hyundais.

Yeah its selectable

The pink on black combo looks great though IMO. I am digging the new E53

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Incredible! 64 selectable colors!

*looks at $12 8-bit RGB LED strip sitting on desk with a theoretical 16.7 million colors*

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Sagebrush posted:

Incredible! 64 selectable colors!

*looks at $12 8-bit RGB LED strip sitting on desk with a theoretical 16.7 million colors*

How many are differentiable when diffusing off or through car surfaces, and do you for a single second believe that a car company could make a usable UI for even 64 colors?

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
I like that baby blue on the velosterN. Neat seatbelts too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Yeah its selectable

The pink on black combo looks great though IMO. I am digging the new E53

I thought this kinda stuff was played out by the second Fast and Furious movie

is street-racer fashion making a comeback?