Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Well they can always repair the damage with money from their Bitco--

Oh right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

There Bias Two posted:

Well they can always repair the damage with money from their Bitco--

Oh right.

It’s almost like the main target of bitcoin is people with poor impulse control.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
Tether Printer from 3 hours ago:

quote:

You guessed it! 100 Million in new freshly minted, counterfeit money brought to you by Bitfinex. That makes four days in a row where they printed 100 Million in fake money a day.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Sovereign currencies, how do they work

https://modernmoneybasics.com/facts/

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

LethalGeek posted:

It's a lovely database with a gimmick. We have databases

lmao

I want to read the database text book that tries to put the blockchain (which is crusty with my rear end-poo poo, btw) in to 3rd normal form

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

hahah holy poo poo 400 mill in USDT in 4 days.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!
I mean in simple terms it's totally correct that it's a lovely database that sacrifices speed and efficiency for the fact that it's "decentralized". This is a stupid trade off for any business because they don't want to run their calculations on random basement dwellers' PCs and also they want everything to be as fast and efficient as possible.

MA-Horus posted:

hahah holy poo poo 400 mill in USDT in 4 days.

They discovered that they need a daily 100 mil injection of fake money into the exchanges just to keep the price of BTC stable. Not even go up, just to keep it at 11K. It's magical. People selling now are smart because eventually there will be nothing but tethers left for HODL crowd.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jan 19, 2018

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

After reading his follow up, the actual idea would a) isn't going to do poo poo for the homeless and b) could be a really good way to bypass HIPAA's stupid security rules that cause the entire US healthcare industry to operate via fax machine.

quote:

§ 164.312 Technical safeguards.

A covered entity or business associate must, in accordance with § 164.306:

(a)

(1)Standard: Access control. Implement technical policies and procedures for electronic information systems that maintain electronic protected health information to allow access only to those persons or software programs that have been granted access rights as specified in § 164.308(a)(4).

(2)Implementation specifications:

(i)Unique user identification (Required). Assign a unique name and/or number for identifying and tracking user identity.

(ii)Emergency access procedure (Required). Establish (and implement as needed) procedures for obtaining necessary electronic protected health information during an emergency.

(iii)Automatic logoff (Addressable). Implement electronic procedures that terminate an electronic session after a predetermined time of inactivity.

(iv)Encryption and decryption (Addressable). Implement a mechanism to encrypt and decrypt electronic protected health information.

(b)Standard: Audit controls. Implement hardware, software, and/or procedural mechanisms that record and examine activity in information systems that contain or use electronic protected health information.

(c)

(1)Standard: Integrity. Implement policies and procedures to protect electronic protected health information from improper alteration or destruction.

(2)Implementation specification: Mechanism to authenticate electronic protected health information (Addressable). Implement electronic mechanisms to corroborate that electronic protected health information has not been altered or destroyed in an unauthorized manner.

(d)Standard: Person or entity authentication. Implement procedures to verify that a person or entity seeking access to electronic protected health information is the one claimed.

(e)

(1)Standard: Transmission security. Implement technical security measures to guard against unauthorized access to electronic protected health information that is being transmitted over an electronic communications network.

(2)Implementation specifications:

(i)Integrity controls (Addressable). Implement security measures to ensure that electronically transmitted electronic protected health information is not improperly modified without detection until disposed of.

(ii)Encryption (Addressable). Implement a mechanism to encrypt electronic protected health information whenever deemed appropriate.

From the sounds of it a blockchain would actually cover all of this poo poo.

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
Stadia didn't outlive SA but it did outlive Lowtax - Happy Birthday Stadia! #ad
$550M printed this week, last 5 days - we're at 100M being printed everyday now

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

hostile apostle posted:

36.5 billion a year seems reasonable

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

I love all the crypto dudes in the comments having to go through the motions of feeling bad for the guy then yelling about how BTC and BCC aren't the same

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
The Donk contest guy has the son of an Israeli-American-Russian car/real estate developer (and Trump partner, satire is dead) posting at him on reddit to answer his phone. Apparently he has some other shady investors too.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DonkContest/comments/7rkbtf/a_statement_regarding_the_financial_situation_of/dsxkmq8/

I don't think the Donk/Twerk contest is happening this year folks.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I don't understand a thing about Tether but this printing massive amounts of money thing they're doing seems dumb

a very large fish
Oct 18, 2012

turn off the TV posted:

After reading his follow up, the actual idea would a) isn't going to do poo poo for the homeless and b) could be a really good way to bypass HIPAA's stupid security rules that cause the entire US healthcare industry to operate via fax machine.

From the sounds of it a blockchain would actually cover all of this poo poo.
Healthcare uses EDI which is secure and fast and far less broken than peer to peer DB transaction ledger.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

hostile apostle posted:

This will keep going until there aren’t enough people to buy tether for USD on secondary exchanges. Once that happens people will start demanding that Tether back their 1:1 guarantee. When that happens it’s going to be an epic shitstorm bigger than BitConnect given how much Tether they are printing.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

U-DO Burger posted:

I don't understand a thing about Tether but this printing massive amounts of money thing they're doing seems dumb

Tether owns, I'm proud for whoever created it.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

dick wizard posted:

Healthcare uses EDI which is secure and fast and far less broken than peer to peer DB transaction ledger.

lol

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
My favorite thing about this graph is that it spans a hundred years rather than ten. My second favorite thing is everything.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

This is just a graph of inflation basically?

A dollar had 10x the purchasing power over 100 years ago wowo

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
why should it take a world war to change a currency that much when its so much more efficient to press enter on the tether printer?

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

DACK FAYDEN posted:

My favorite thing about this graph is that it spans a hundred years rather than ten. My second favorite thing is everything.

It looks like this graph stabilized around the 70s to a slow constant decrease in purchasing power. I wonder what happened then?

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006
Stadia didn't outlive SA but it did outlive Lowtax - Happy Birthday Stadia! #ad
Somehow had missed this but apparently Telegram is planning an ICO and currently raising 1.15B (and possibly another B in a subsequent round)

https://techcrunch.com/2018/01/15/inside-telegrams-ambitious-1-2b-ico-to-create-the-next-ethereum/

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Tether is the most obvious scam, if you know loving anything about economics.

It's fukkin' beautiful man

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

dick wizard posted:

Healthcare organizations in the United States (sometimes) use EDI formatted material that is Hipaa compliant, but a lot of documents that are supposed to be more secure are "electronically" transferred via fax machines. Actual transfers of electronic records that don't involve faxes need to be encrypted and all that garbage. Pretty much every doctor that I have ever been to or worked for needed to have poo poo faxed between offices.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

People are gonna write thesis after thesis on this whole mess in a few years.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Lote posted:

It looks like this graph stabilized around the 70s to a slow constant decrease in purchasing power. I wonder what happened then?

US dollar went off the gold standard in 1971 so the exchange rates floated at market rates. There was the oil crisis in 1973 and 1979 but then a lot of oil production came online (oil is priced in USD). Then Milton Friedman's concepts started coming into effect which was the start of neoliberalism and modern monetary theory.
https://www.investopedia.com/articles/economics/08/1970-stagflation.asp

In short a lot of events happened from 1970 to 1982 that created that change.

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

Does anyone still own Flooz? Relaunch that poo poo as an alt-coin and hype it up as the Trusted, Original Digital Currency while leaning hard into Web 1.0 nostalgia.

Someone please do this, I really like saying the word Flooz and want an excuse to do so

Communist Q
Jul 13, 2009

hostile apostle posted:

Somehow had missed this but apparently Telegram is planning an ICO and currently raising 1.15B (and possibly another B in a subsequent round)

https://techcrunch.com/2018/01/15/inside-telegrams-ambitious-1-2b-ico-to-create-the-next-ethereum/

That's beautiful. Almost all of the pump and dump groups are ran through telegram or discord so they're going to milk all of those people with their coin.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Lou Takki posted:

People are gonna write thesis after thesis on this whole mess in a few years.

It's pretty cool seeing all the "boiler room" stuff and shenaniganry from decades past that I've only really read about being reenacted with digital coins.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

Stealthgerbil posted:

Everyone knows Pegglecoins are the future of cryptocurrency anyway. Who wouldn't want to use the cryptocurrenccy used by ultimate peggle masters all over the world?

I'm ready.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Communist Q posted:

That's beautiful. Almost all of the pump and dump groups are ran through telegram or discord so they're going to milk all of those people with their coin.

A ponzi platform that people use to run their own ponzis. Genius.

I'm copyrighting Ponzi as a Service. Or PaaS.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

turn off the TV posted:

Healthcare organizations in the United States (sometimes) use EDI formatted material that is Hipaa compliant, but a lot of documents that are supposed to be more secure are "electronically" transferred via fax machines. Actual transfers of electronic records that don't involve faxes need to be encrypted and all that garbage. Pretty much every doctor that I have ever been to or worked for needed to have poo poo faxed between offices.

Fax machines are dumb and antiquated but they're more secure than a lovely doctor's office computer and are cheap enough to run. More and more fax machines are just networked scanner/copier/printer/fax combos though, so your doctor's office fax is probably still part of some botnet and some guy in Eastern Europe has all of your health records.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
What if they just stopped leaving sensitive data on some amazon cloud server with no password on it?

Just throwing out an idea

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
http://omnichest.info/lookupsp.aspx?sp=31

TetherUS posted:

Created by 5ed3694e8a4fa8d3ec5c75eb6789492c69e65511522b220e94ab51da2b6dd53f
Total 2050000000 TOKENS

2.05 Billion tethers have been pumped into the exchanges.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Alpha Mayo posted:

http://omnichest.info/lookupsp.aspx?sp=31

2.05 Billion tethers have been pumped into the exchanges.

Total or recently?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Boon posted:

So what is an actual commercial potential of blockchain? Can a company like IBM develop a business-to-business, enterprise solution and develop a consulting, installation, and support business around it? Is it at all applicable to data analysis or their Watson project?

Where the gently caress is it useful besides scamming rubes out of their money?

Cryptocurrencies are so lovely but hype-driven that IBM looked at them and said "we can definitely do better than this poo poo", produced a distributed database, and named it Blockchain to cash in on the hype. Then they published an article on their website on why bitcoin is garbage but their proprietary Blockchain solution is tight (because a distributed database that doesn't have to be trustless can be really fast, efficient, and scales easily).

And then they did the rest of those things you mentioned, except for their product instead of something stupid like bitcoin

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Nephzinho posted:

Total or recently?

I believe that's total.

https://twitter.com/tetherprinter For all your fake currency needs

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Tether rules because I cant wait for all of the people playing the fluctuations to lose their poo poo when tether collapses. I have a decent amount of skin in the game but I still can't wait for it to collapse because the drama is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I've been using blockchains for over a decade it's called git lol