Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
yall won't let queer people have anything huh?

gay people are much like straight people, in that when they think someone is physically or emotionally attractive, they will say i love you to them

it is not a code, or a cryptic puzzle

it just happens like that

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jan 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Lurking Haro posted:

Nope, just a troublemaker who looks like him.
He is credited as "Boy looking like Kukun".

So some random guy is so mad about being mistaken for somebody else he tries to get the rappers accused of theft. Makes perfect sense.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Compendium posted:

Hi guys what's going on-

:stare:

buttsecks

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

like a cigarette should posted:

I guess that fits the theme of 'everything sucks and everyone dies' so that's okay I suppose.
I think the theme they were going for is more "these specific things suck and if we don't deal with them it will be bad for all of us"

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Expect My Mom posted:

gay people are much like straight people, in that when they think someone is physically or emotionally attractive, they will say i love you to them

it is not a code, or a cryptic puzzle

it just happens like that

hm... but what if they're secretly saying they only platonically love them. i don't think we can make a judgment on this without enough evidence, it's going to take a bit more research into the laws of homosexuals

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

Miki and other Miki don't tell us anything about their sexuality or their romantic feelings. They say they love one another.

This isn't to say that they aren't queer, but focusing on the potential queerness is overlooking the more overt, explicit and more radical interpretation.

Miko wants to gently caress

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Expect My Mom posted:

I am not taking anything away from you, and I am not trying to provoke a fight.

Please don't do this.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT

Terper posted:

I think the theme they were going for is more "these specific things suck and if we don't deal with them it will be bad for all of us"

I thought the theme is 'God resets time over and over again to punish Satan forever' (and also the gays I guess, the hell is this thread?)

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Schwarzwald posted:

God may be the villain in the manga (I haven't read it yet (I've already pre-ordered the new translation)), but I think that's a much harder claim to make in Crybaby.
Between Miki as a Christ figure, the grace depicted when Akira intervenes during the stoning, to the explicit divine intervention preventing a nuclear war, there's a lot to suggest God is an active and benevolent participant.

If you follow the text of Crybaby, the demons and Satan were just chilling out on Earth killing and dominating each other, and minding their own business - when God shows up to destroy everything just to spite Satan. Wiping out all life on an entire planet just to get at one person isn't a sign of a benevolent God.

I thought the theme is 'God resets time over and over again to punish Satan forever' (and also the gays I guess, the hell is this thread?)

The twin moons affirm at the end that there's a persistent change to the world even in spite of the Earth being destroyed, so there's a chance they're not actually stuck in a time loop in the Crybaby universe.

Pener Kropoopkin fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jan 19, 2018

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

So some random guy is so mad about being mistaken for somebody else he tries to get the rappers accused of theft. Makes perfect sense.

People kill each other indiscriminately later on. Some guy being an rear end in a top hat isn't out of order.

The credits still clearly say it's not him.
He doesn't even have any tattoos.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Schwarzwald posted:

Please don't do this.
it's too late

this thread has turned me into a devilman

but one of the devilmen who sides with psycho jenny

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Schwarzwald posted:

Miki and other Miki don't tell us anything about their sexuality or their romantic feelings. They say they love one another.

This isn't to say that they aren't queer, but focusing on the potential queerness is overlooking the more overt, explicit and more radical interpretation.

they say they love each other romantically

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Expect My Mom posted:

it's too late

yeah

If Miki/Miko had had some time to go at it people in here would post about how it's just because they're good friends and the strain of the end of the world is making them 'weird', there's nowhere to go with this conversation.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Lurking Haro posted:

People kill each other indiscriminately later on. Some guy being an rear end in a top hat isn't out of order.

The credits still clearly say it's not him.
He doesn't even have any tattoos.

I'm not saying it's completely outside the realm of possibility, but plot wise it's confusing because you're expecting Mayuta-lookalike to be a devilman or to be a demon in that scene but it never goes anywhere, and that's the episode they reintroduce Koda to make it even more confusing.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
Also can it be assumed that Miko murdered her grandma? She didn't seem to have a problem with killing humans.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

it's time to talk about the real disappointing part of crybaby, and that is how psycho jenny and zenon got shafted. they were both way cooler in the manga.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Psycho Jenny got the coolest sequences in episode 10 though.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Expect My Mom posted:

it's too late

I can respect this.

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

it's time to talk about the real disappointing part of crybaby, and that is how psycho jenny and zenon got shafted. they were both way cooler in the manga.

Psycho Jenny got maybe five minutes of screen time total, but she rocked every drat second.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Psycho Jenny is really cute in Crybaby, she looks really fluffy, and I prefer that over her more terrifying look.

also just conceptually, your emotionally distant mother figure being an ancient demon capable of mass mind control owns.

did you ever notice she has breasts on her back? its cool

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Also can it be assumed that Miko murdered her grandma? She didn't seem to have a problem with killing humans.

She is lying in her futon, so she might just have did from neglect. It's pretty open.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I'm not saying it's completely outside the realm of possibility, but plot wise it's confusing because you're expecting Mayuta-lookalike to be a devilman or to be a demon in that scene but it never goes anywhere, and that's the episode they reintroduce Koda to make it even more confusing.

I first thought it actually was demon Mayuta and Miko killed him later before climbing back home. It turns out it's just confusing editing.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

This show: good
This thread: bad

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Psycho Jenny is a lot creepier in human form.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Lurking Haro posted:

She is lying in her futon, so she might just have did from neglect. It's pretty open.

We're all forgetting the most important part here, which is how she hosed that guy then decapitated him and kept loving his corpse, which is insanely badass

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Schwarzwald posted:

Please don't do this.
the word they use is literally, explicitly, for romantic love, in japanese. daisuki.

the show was written, in japanese.

the writer, who is japanese, used a word, that is near-exclusive to romantic love.

why would the writer, okouchi ichiro, specifically choose a word that is so romantic in its meaning, if he did not mean it to be romantic. this is not accidental. this is not some meta-defining trick. this is not some bizarre sleight of hand.

a man who has written multiple shows with romantic confessions, several with entire plot points hinged on characters' romantic confessions, and even a couple of shows with explicitly lesbian characters, chose to have one woman say a word that is explicitly romantic in its meaning to another woman.

why would he do this, if he did not mean for the audience to interpret it as a woman confessing romantic interest in another woman.

how do you get from point a to point b here.

i don't want to hear some meta analysis about the story, i literally just want to know, how you get from a character saying 'i love you in an explicitly romantic sense' to 'slow down, let's not accuse anyone of lesbianism.'

do you think the writer is dense? did he fall asleep on the keyboard and forget to add 'no homo' after that word? perhaps he was in a middle of a transcendent flashback to his work on utena and accidentally wrote that in and was too scared to tell anyone?

Endorph fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jan 19, 2018

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Endorph posted:

the word they use is literally, explicitly, for romantic love, in japanese. daisuki.

tbh when I first watched it I was only paying attention to the subtitles and not the spoken word so I could have seen it as not being romantic at first.

but then you pointed that out in your posts before this one and it made perfect sense.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Phantasium posted:

tbh when I first watched it I was only paying attention to the subtitles and not the spoken word so I could have seen it as not being romantic at first.

but then you pointed that out in your posts before this one and it made perfect sense.
Even ignoring the word they choose, the framing of the scene is very romantic and dramatic. I just can't see anyone looking at that scene and thinking they're just telling each other they're good friends, the narrative places way too much weight on it and its so clearly contrasted with and runs parallel to ryo and akira's relationship, which even these people are saying is at least romantic on one side of the equation. the word choice just takes what was already explicit and makes it undeniable.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

idk I'm also dense as hell

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Phantasium posted:

I can’t
The way it’s lead up, the drama of it all, the conclusion of self sacrifice, her finally reaching clarity in her feelings and expressing it

Love can mean a lot of different things in English but that doesn’t mean every use of the word is going to be ambiguous and we can generally figure this out for ourselves kind of intuitively

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
The most romantic and thematically most important kiss in this entire series was when Akira met that skinny titty pillpusher at the club in the very beginning.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The most romantic and thematically most important kiss in this entire series was when Akira met that skinny titty pillpusher at the club in the very beginning.

hell yeah

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Miko wanted to gently caress the gently caress out of Miki

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The most romantic moment in this show was the worlds most vigorous motorboating.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Nothing was more romantic than Taro looking at that dog.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Compendium posted:

Hi guys what's going on-

:stare:

The soundtrack is extremely good

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Rip Akira he died a virgin

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

The second moon reads: Here Lies Akira, He Never Scored.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Jose posted:

Rip Akira he died a virgin

He did a rape.

Bloodyshinta1
Aug 6, 2010
when i tell my dad and brother i love them it's because i want to gently caress them

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Sirene "gently caress me screw me" McAmbiguous didn't have gay sex with him so it's just really not clear you know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bloodyshinta1 posted:

when i tell my dad and brother i love them it's because i want to gently caress them
if you said 'i love you romantically' to your dad and brother then yes id assume you wanted to gently caress them

• Locked thread